Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Hmm, I'm sure I've seen the chap in the bottom-middle somewhere before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Observer:

"Send in the clowns - Chris Riddell on the Ukip Bongo Bongo fiasco"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Chris Huhne appointed to senior role with US energy firm

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ed Miliband's troubles - The Labour leader has been hit with fresh criticism within his party"

Telegraph:

Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Holy poo poo I think I laughed at that.

The Telegraph one got me in the right frame of mind though. It's funny* because it's true

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Thomas is getting lazy/-ier with the foxes and birds. And what the gently caress is up with the size of Miliband's head. Looks like he's fallen out of Theme Hospital.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Milliband's head is distracting me so much.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

onoflalks posted:

And what the gently caress is up with the size of Miliband's head. Looks like he's fallen out of Theme Hospital.
It's by the far the most flattering of the caricatures. Rowson's Miliband is :stonk:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

From the If... archives

In Washington, President Reagan's Secretary of State has just resigned...

Howdy!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
God, I remember reading all these old Ifs in the Grauniad. I'm so old. :(

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

onoflalks posted:

Thomas is getting lazy/-ier with the foxes and birds. And what the gently caress is up with the size of Miliband's head. Looks like he's fallen out of Theme Hospital.

Lazier in general - when he coloured in the teapot he didn't even manage to stay inside the lines!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Labour's immigration policy - Labour now recognises that immigration can have a negative effect on British workers, a shadow minister has said."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Mail:
"David Cameron has urged people of all areas to accept fracking as our new cheap energy supply."

quote:

“Wonderful news, Prime Minister. They’ve found Shale gas!”

Express:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

God, I can't believe how amazing his comics can look. There's a lot to see but I love the expression on the old lady's face.

quote:

Independent:
Legitimately disturbing.

quote:

Express:

Legitimately disturbing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So why are they talking about Tesco? Did they do something specific to warrant mention in two seperate strips?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Cliff Racer posted:

So why are they talking about Tesco? Did they do something specific to warrant mention in two seperate strips?

Tesco have been accused of relocating a distribution centre to take advantage of a higher population of cheap eastern European immigrants by a Labour spokesman (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...rs-8756555.html)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well if nothing else Bryant was also a filthy stutterer...

quote:

Take Tesco, a good employer and an important source of jobs in Britain and an important source of jobs in Britain

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

quote:

Express:

Does he always draw Phil with braid and shoulderboards or did he just gently caress up the jacket colouring?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think he just always does. Can't be sure people would know who he is otherwise.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

goatface posted:

I think he just always does. Can't be sure people would know who he is otherwise.
Well it's clearly not meant to be portraying Prince Philip then, who is an Admiral of the Fleet and not a Vice Admiral. :colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

God, I can't believe how amazing his comics can look. There's a lot to see but I love the expression on the old lady's face.

He does a great Miliband - even at that size he's totally recognisable and has the perfect expression.

Sometimes I wish Rowson's cartoons would be put up daily on billboards, they really bring home what's actually happening and the tone of it all. Sad that mostly the people who see his work are people who generally already get it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jesus, Mac, why do you have to have such bad opinions sometimes?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the government's economic policy"

Telegraph:

Rail fares 'to rise by 4.1%' in England as unions protest

Independent:

Mail:
"A Welsh policeman has been reprimanded for leaving his duty to have an affair with a housewife."

quote:

“We’ll send an armed policeman round straight away, Madam….Do you want his trousers up or down?”

Express:

Top baby names revealed in England and Wales. :ssh:It's actually Harry and Amelia.:ssh:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

A Not Awful Telegraph Cartoon? :aaaaa: Though it's not that praiseworthy as attacking the rail system as it is is the lowest hanging fruit imaginable.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

Can anyone read what's on the piece of paper? I can only make out "2015 planner".

quote:

Express:

Top baby names revealed in England and Wales. :ssh:It's actually Harry and Amelia.:ssh:
Wow.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure he didn't read the article. He just saw the headline, murmured "those loving Muslims" and set to work.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

You will have to excuse me, I am not familiar with christening, so why is there two men, along with the woman? Why is one man wearing sun glasses? Is it a swipe at gay marriage, insinuating the man is blind, or is it some sort of Godfather reference? It does not work on so many levels.

I'm also sure he was muttering something about 'towelheads' as he drew it too.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

As the proud godfather* to two children, I think one is probably a godparent.

Edit: Although it's probably not the woman. Or maybe it is, and he's totally fine with that. Yeah, probably not.

*and also a subversive atheist, haha, take that Jesus. In. Your. Face.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 14, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wait, did Thomas put the godfather in a pinstripe suit and sunglasses...because he's The Godfather?

I--there's no polite way to ask this, is Paul Thomas retarded? Have we been making fun of a retarded artist? Should I feel bad?

:aaaaa: The Express is a paper for people with mental retardation to read, isn't it. I am so sorry. I will never make fun of all those Diana front pages again.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

They're all shocked about how racist the vicar is being. SHOCKED.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"House prices go 'down' as wages go 'up'": A Coalition Cartoon? I think I'm just being dense, I assume that's actually the point being made. Clearly I need labels :ohdear:
The commuter looks like a Kelly character. All it's missing is a crying Statue of LibertyBoudica statue.

quote:

Express:

'Muhammed' does win out in London itself, although there's still no excuse for that title. For all the recent snobbishness over ethnic/'urban' baby names, the full list is achingly middle class:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Kegluneq posted:

"House prices go 'down' as wages go 'up'": A Coalition Cartoon? I think I'm just being dense, I assume that's actually the point being made. Clearly I need labels :ohdear:
House prices have ballooned in comparison to wages (which are peanuts).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

I imagine the parents' response in a sane world "This is a church you dumb rear end, not a comedy club for your racist jokes".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I can still appreciate a good stained-glass fox, however.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kegluneq posted:

There are couple of cues you've missed like the remains of Clegg flipping the bowfingers, the Chancellor giving you the finger, and also everything Rowson's ever done ever. The metaphor of weighing house prices against wages is a bit skewiff, but it's just leaping off Osbourne's pledge to rebalance the economy. You can see he doesn't give a gently caress about wages, which you're still meant to be angry about due to the 0-hour contracts thing, and also he's put his thumb on the scale in favour of a housing-bubble, which you're now angry about after this new subsidy for second homes.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Junior G-man posted:

I can still appreciate a good stained-glass fox, however.

Also the flowers, foxgloves I believe.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I have to admit, I love the look on the copper's face in this one. If there's one thing Mac really can draw, it's malicious smugness.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

There are couple of cues you've missed like the remains of Clegg flipping the bowfingers, the Chancellor giving you the finger, and also everything Rowson's ever done ever. The metaphor of weighing house prices against wages is a bit skewiff, but it's just leaping off Osbourne's pledge to rebalance the economy. You can see he doesn't give a gently caress about wages, which you're still meant to be angry about due to the 0-hour contracts thing, and also he's put his thumb on the scale in favour of a housing-bubble, which you're now angry about after this new subsidy for second homes.
Okay, so it's a 'Thing is Thing (Thing is Not Thing)' comic. Thanks for pointing out that Rowson is actually anti-coalition though, I'd completely missed that.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Kegluneq posted:

Okay, so it's a 'Thing is Thing (Thing is Not Thing)' comic. Thanks for pointing out that Rowson is actually anti-coalition though, I'd completely missed that.

The way I read the scales is that wages cannot offer balance to another housing bubble but Osborne is still pushing all his weight towards that side of the scale.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was claiming an economic recovery (hence the sheet of paper that says "False boom" with a tick next to it) despite the fact it's being entirely generated by a housing bubble while wages are decreasing year on year.

Not sure what the second item on the list is though, "Tax bribes"?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Crameltonian posted:

A Not Awful Telegraph Cartoon? :aaaaa: Though it's not that praiseworthy as attacking the rail system as it is is the lowest hanging fruit imaginable.
Directly affects Telegraph readers, many of whom commute into London from the Home Counties (and even, in some cases, from marginal seats!)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goatface posted:

I thought he was claiming an economic recovery (hence the sheet of paper that says "False boom" with a tick next to it) despite the fact it's being entirely generated by a housing bubble while wages are decreasing year on year.

Not sure what the second item on the list is though, "Tax bribes"?

Yeah instead of actually trying to balance the economy with the better wages workers need, he's making borrowing to get a house easier (the hand pushing down on that side of the scales) - so 'more people can get houses!' is supposed to be a success and balances out the low incomes people have. Except it's basically feeding a bubble that's in danger of bursting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

Yeah instead of actually trying to balance the economy with the better wages workers need, he's making borrowing to get a house easier (the hand pushing down on that side of the scales) - so 'more people can get houses!' is supposed to be a success and balances out the low incomes people have. Except it's basically feeding a bubble that's in danger of bursting

It's not in danger of bursting, it's about to burst. Help To Buy is Osborne's attempt to make sure it doesn't do so before the next General Election, as well as a way to line the pockets of wealthy people from the public purse.

• Locked thread