Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WARnold posted:

I hate javelins.
What was the way to edit a file to get weapons unlocked again?

Edit stopbeingawussy.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Edit stopbeingawussy.txt

I thought it was fuckplayingasanarcher.txt

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shima Honnou posted:

Javelins are probably the easiest Archer weapon to level, unless they've changed how it works. Back when I did them, you could just melee people to death and that unlocked it. Don't know if they changed that, though, but hopefully not.

This is still the best way to level javs. Just backstab people with them

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, javelins are actually drat fun. It's also hilariously satisfying to toss a spear through someone's head as they try to juke and weave while rushing at you. :black101:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MadJackMcJack posted:

I thought it was fuckplayingasanarcher.txt

You only have access to the file after you install the "Get Good, Scrub" DLC.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

You only have access to the file after you install the "Get Good, Scrub" DLC.

I'm a poo poo archer for the same reason I'm a poo poo King: I get bored of sitting at the back plinking away/using taunts and charge into the melee. And then I get ganged-up on and murdered.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'm a poo poo archer for the same reason I'm a poo poo King: I get bored of sitting at the back plinking away/using taunts and charge into the melee. And then I get ganged-up on and murdered.

Don't sit in the back then? Archer is incredibly fun if you play as a skirmisher, moving along with the group and stealing kills from your vanguards and knights after they've softened guys up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah as archer I either run around and plink people with the short bow or throw heavy javelins at them.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Archers rule, especially in FFA. Yesterday, there was a dude running around as a Claymore vanguard, totally mopping up all the kills. There were 2 archers and the dude predictably started complaining about there being too many archers. That lead a bunch of us switching to archers and singling him out. The next round almost everyone went archers with slings. Surprising, the guy didn't rage quit.

Edit: I've also taken to having an honorable brotherhood with dudes that are pink in FFA. I consider them part of team pink. The completing in chat is awesome. Surprisingly, most people didn't really care and told those comparing to shut up and deal with it.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 14, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Meow!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I never actually play as an archer myself because I'm really bad at it but I always appreciate if a guy lands a headshot on me despite my juking and jiving. Whether or not they're effective in FFA really seems based on the map though, in smaller ones like arena or throne room there tends to always be a knight or vanguard nearby that will blindside and one shot them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WARnold posted:

I hate javelins.
What was the way to edit a file to get weapons unlocked again?

As already mentioned, play free for all with Javelins. Remember to use melee, which owns because stab damage. You're going to have to if you live long enough to throw more than a few javelins anyways :v:

It took me like, two hours tops to blow through javelins compared to my multiple days trying to rank up bows... Admittedly my habit of finishing people off with melee instead of desperately trying to shoot a vanguard within spitting distance is half the reason why it took me so long to rank up bows and crossbows.

Now, MY whiny problem with archers? Why the gently caress does my crossbow drop shield keep self destructing from nothing :argh: "This looks like a good spot to put the shield for when the enemy gets here. I'll just put it down and sit back with my crossbo-what the gently caress it just exploded, there aren't even any enemies here yet."

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

As already mentioned, play free for all with Javelins. Remember to use melee, which owns because stab damage. You're going to have to if you live long enough to throw more than a few javelins anyways :v:

It took me like, two hours tops to blow through javelins compared to my multiple days trying to rank up bows... Admittedly my habit of finishing people off with melee instead of desperately trying to shoot a vanguard within spitting distance is half the reason why it took me so long to rank up bows and crossbows.

Now, MY whiny problem with archers? Why the gently caress does my crossbow drop shield keep self destructing from nothing :argh: "This looks like a good spot to put the shield for when the enemy gets here. I'll just put it down and sit back with my crossbo-what the gently caress it just exploded, there aren't even any enemies here yet."

Don't even bother with the Pavise, just find a knee high object to stand behind. Then when you reload, just turn around and crouch and you'll pretty much be invincible to projectiles, unless someone manages to perfectly arc a shot to hit you, in which case they deserve it.

Extra ammo is superior, since it allows for extra stuntin' :snoop:

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
So what's the best practice if I'm playing Agatha in any team mode? Go for the brightly colored people? Customization is fun and all, but it isn't doing TO any favors.

The server browser fix is glorious though, as well as not having to worry about the 'initiate reload xbow sequence when hit' bug.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Robot Randy posted:

Don't even bother with the Pavise, just find a knee high object to stand behind. Then when you reload, just turn around and crouch and you'll pretty much be invincible to projectiles, unless someone manages to perfectly arc a shot to hit you, in which case they deserve it.

Extra ammo is superior, since it allows for extra stuntin' :snoop:
I know I know, but I just like the tiny little shield for some reason. Though I've come to learn the bullseye I paint on my archers doesn't show up on the crossbow shield :saddowns:

PowderKeg posted:

So what's the best practice if I'm playing Agatha in any team mode? Go for the brightly colored people? Customization is fun and all, but it isn't doing TO any favors.

I've been telling the Agatha players bitching about not knowing who to kill to pretend they are racist. Of course some of them probably aren't pretending, but still can't figure out "Only the Masons have black and brown" The yellow trim on your vanguard isn't fooling anyone guys-oh wait it is fooling people.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 14, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've switched almost entirely to Agatha from Masons because Agatha gets the Fleurs and Saints Rule.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
New chivalry drinking game: Drink whenever someone joins a server and announces that chivalry now looks like a gay pride parade or that the players look like "a bunch of faggots".

Drink twice if he appeals to historical accuracy to defend his homophobic remarks.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
Third Person Perspective is the worst thing that has ever happened. FPS all the way.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

The Pope posted:

Third Person Perspective is the worst thing that has ever happened. FPS all the way.
I just tried third person for the first time today. Goddamn is it good. I thought it would be harder to parry with but nope, didn't flub a single parry. It honestly feels like a great big make things easier button. I like playing in firstperson and appreciate servers where you're locked into firstperson but not playing thirdperson seems like artifically handicapping yourself. Maybe there is a downside, but I'm not seeing it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holepunchio posted:

I just tried third person for the first time today. Goddamn is it good. I thought it would be harder to parry with but nope, didn't flub a single parry. It honestly feels like a great big make things easier button. I like playing in firstperson and appreciate servers where you're locked into firstperson but not playing thirdperson seems like artifically handicapping yourself. Maybe there is a downside, but I'm not seeing it.

It makes it marginally harder to hit with the stabby-spear vanguard weapons (brandistock and the like), but those are so good in the first place it doesn't really have an impact.

All I know is while I was using it tonight I got someone to bemoan that the quarterstaff was overpowered, so.

Lately I've taken to mashing random class until it gives me a non-archer, and then mashing random loadout. Gets those subpar weapons and loadouts some mileage!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Chivalry is the first and only melee-based game I've played with a first-person view that actually has some remote connection to the reality of your weapon's range, so I feel bad going third-person.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, I've tried 3rd person now and then but I just always feel disoriented somehow. I know that doesn't make a lick of sense, but I can't help it. It just doesn't feel comfortable.

Also, I have the prettiest MaA. :3:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I only use third person when I'm a knight trying to use the Tower shield, or maul. Vanguard weapons are so huge you don't really need third person to drag attack with them anyways. Though I suspect the players who spent the whole fight staring at the ground or sky would hate being locked out of third person just as much as they hate the Q button.

Speaking of the Duelilst mentality, I tried my first duel server... And found everyone was an MMA proclaiming "Fists only". So, my knight put up his dukes, and killed everything until I got bored, letting them know I was moving on to find someplace with weapons amidst a rush of "[clantag] whatever has challenged you to a rematch" spam.

It was a strange experience, all of them tried fancy dodging around while I just placidly stood in place with the occasional nudge of S or W. My favorite one was the guy who kept trying to leaping punch me from slightly raised sand in the arena, only to die by landing balls first onto an Mwheel down punch. To their credit, nobody claimed bullshit or got supermad about anything. We were just punching eachother like men, spamming voice commands.

Fake Edit: ^^^ I use the Knightcrest1 on my Agatha (aside from Movingtarget archer). Gold crown and silver sword with a pretty pink flower in the corner :3: No pink trim on my guys yet though because I'm boring.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
pfff. look at you scrubs can't even commit to full on obnoxious pink and green with orange trim. :gay:

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Committed as a m'fucker

Griz
May 21, 2001

dog nougat posted:

pfff. look at you scrubs can't even commit to full on obnoxious pink and green with orange trim. :gay:

Is that default armor? Checkers/stripes is way better

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Griz posted:

Is that default armor? Checkers/stripes is way better

Probably. They don't offer a field full of pink beauty. Plus the butterfly is the best crest(?) to go along with the pink...unless you're a MAA, then the firepot is the only reasonable choice.

Meanie
Jul 2, 2007
I used to love playing Chivalry on 3 screens, unfortunately this doesn't work anymore since they last patched the game! :(

The old:

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV
To
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Doesn't work anymore. :(
Any ideas?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Basically once I found there was an icon BannerCow I was stuck with using it for everything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This game is so hilarious sometimes, Blimp and I were playing FFA with some idiot who constantly accused me of being a 'no skill feinter' although he never even broke 1:1 KD and blimp and I were winning every single game for like 6 games in a row, he didn't stop whining and we just made fun of him, was pretty glorious.

My ingame name is now appropriately 'PRESS Q FOR VICTORY', after he left everyone on the server just switched to full scale fisticuffs and plenty of fun was to be had by all.

Why people playing this game think that Attack-Parry-Riposte-Repeat is such a sacred institution that feinting and cutting down your opponent in half the time is some heinous sacrilege I shall never know.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Speaking of full plate fisticuffs- does class really matter when it comes to putting hands on people? I've only done a couple of tavern brawls, but it seemed to me that knights and archers went down in roughly the same amount of blows.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The wiki says that they do 'blunt damage' so it would seem as though they do take damage resistances into account if that's true it means that it would take 1-2 more hits to take down a vanguard or a knight compared to an MAA and 3-4 compared to an archer.

MAAs are still best at fisticuffs though.

Edit: the following table lists fist damage type simply as 'fists', so I don't really know, if it counts as generic damage it will damage all classes equally:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=77

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 16, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of full plate fisticuffs- does class really matter when it comes to putting hands on people? I've only done a couple of tavern brawls, but it seemed to me that knights and archers went down in roughly the same amount of blows.

SO! All abilities apply to fisticuffs. Archers do extra damage from behind, MAAs get dodge, and Vanguards get a charge fist! I have no idea why you would drunkfight as a Knight. It really depends on what you care about. I prefer Archer for extra headsplodes on people trying to duel.

Re: 3rd person mode. I feel it's harder to parry but more than makes up for it with the ease of landing blows on drag shots and so forth.

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.
The game seems to run a lot less smoothly for me since the patch. Nothing to do with lag and other games are fine so it isn't my PC. Anyone else having similar issues?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Tulip posted:

SO! All abilities apply to fisticuffs. Archers do extra damage from behind, MAAs get dodge, and Vanguards get a charge fist! I have no idea why you would drunkfight as a Knight. It really depends on what you care about. I prefer Archer for extra headsplodes on people trying to duel.

Re: 3rd person mode. I feel it's harder to parry but more than makes up for it with the ease of landing blows on drag shots and so forth.

I find it easier to parry in 3rd person. You can just violently swing your mouse over to an attack and easily block jumping overheads and the ilk, much easier.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I got kicked from a server because they did not find the name SSJ4TheonGreyjoy420 to be acceptable. :sigh: Back to xXxGokuLannister69xXx I guess.

WARnold
Oct 30, 2004

You Lack Discipline!
So apparently some sort of (paid) fancy helmet-dlc came out: http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16793

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

WARnold posted:

So apparently some sort of (paid) fancy helmet-dlc came out: http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16793

Those are pretty sweet, but $10 for some helmets? No thanks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hats? HATS?

Color customization was only the start. It has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also gently caress this guy:

quote:

I probably would buy a helmet but 1. I play only one class (vanguard) so buying a bundle would be a waste of money for me and 2. I don't like the agatha vanguard-helmet.

• Locked thread