Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Have any of you long-term Taiwanners looked into getting RoC nationality? It looks like you get visa-free travel to a lot more places than I thought, but I don't know about having a passport from a country that most of the world doesn't recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Bloodnose posted:

Have any of you long-term Taiwanners looked into getting RoC nationality? It looks like you get visa-free travel to a lot more places than I thought, but I don't know about having a passport from a country that most of the world doesn't recognize.

I don't think there are many practical benefits to naturalization over permanent residency. You can vote, and I guess it's easier to go to China and Cuba, but for US citizens at least it's still not as many countries visa-free, and I can't find anything now but I'd wager it's an even worse exchange for Europeans. Then of course you risk becoming stateless if your application is rejected, along with the whole country-that's-not-a-country problem you mentioned.

Of course, it's understandable if it's all about national pride and sentiment. And basketball.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The houses I've been in have bidets. Public places tend to have normal and squat.

What house do you live in that has a bidet?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Houses in Pingtung.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Man I can't believe the advanced Taiwan toilets are as harmonious as China. I thought bidets would be popular being so heavily influenced by Japan
In general, larger cities are predominantly sit toilets, Taipei notably so. The further you get from the main cities, the more likely you are to have squats.

Spanish Matlock posted:

What house do you live in that has a bidet?
If by bidet you mean "spray hose nearby", they're not that uncommon.

I have a magic toilet in mine. :getin:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Oh well yeah, if you want to wash poo poo all over the floor our bathroom can make that happen too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

gently caress that. You have to give up your original citizenship first, which can go gently caress itself, because if I were to give up my NZ citizenship I'd have to get it back through the same process as every other non-citizen. Then there's no guarantee you'll even get ROC citizenship after that - there have been several people left completely stateless because the ROC bureaucracy are occasionally assholes. And on top of that, unless you're over 36 (IIRC) you have to do your military service as well, and you get left with a passport and nationality that's undoubtedly far less useful internationally than your birth one, unless you come from North Korea or something. I'll get PR once I'm eligible for it again, but unless things seriously change with the citizenship requirements, no loving way. There are literally no benefits beyond being able to vote for the next corrupt rear end in a top hat to gently caress the country down a hole.

e: Oh, and being able to throw your passport and ID card in the face of banks and phone companies when they decide you're untrustworthy because you're not Chinese.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

e: Oh, and being able to throw your passport and ID card in the face of banks and phone companies when they decide you're untrustworthy because you're not Chinese.

This is a massive benefit in my opinion.

edit: not necessarily any tangible benefit of dealing with banks or whatever, but the ability to go ACTUALLY I AM NOT A FOREIGNER :goonsay:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't worry, they'd still find some bullshit excuse. Their current ones are already bullshit anyway.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I feel like I've had the luckiest experiences with banking in Taiwan, I've never walked out of a bank here feeling like I was given the run around or didn't accomplish what I had planned.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I picked the bank next to my house which was conveniently where a guy from my gym for the last four years has worked. Not a single issue has arisen.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Maybe someday when they allow you to have dual citizenship it might be worth it. Then again the tests and poo poo that go along with becoming a Taiwanese national are probably too much work and an APRC with a work permit is already pretty awesome.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Anyone have a good suggestion for a one-day scooter trip? Girlfriend's out of town, I just got a new scooter, I inexplicably have a Saturday off, and I've never really been out in the countryside, except like Wulai and poo poo. I wanna go full easy rider.

e: I generally like naturey poo poo and generally dislike crowds, I should add.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 13, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for a one-day scooter trip? Girlfriend's out of town, I just got a new scooter, I inexplicably have a Saturday off, and I've never really been out in the countryside, except like Wulai and poo poo. I wanna go full easy rider.

Yes, but rented; Hualien's long coastal roads are perfect for cruising.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

quadrophrenic posted:

Start up to Baishawan 白沙灣 and curl around on the 2 for as long as you'd like, to Jinshan and beyond if you want. I've done it before and it's awesome.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hey goons I have a tuition question:

I've been accepted to a grad program at NCCU where tuition was listed at NTD 12,300/semester for last year which puts it at ~US$410.

Am I reading this tuition correctly, or did they misplace a decimal somewhere?

I was under the impression I'd be paying closer to $10k for the program, not $2k until I just reread their info.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Backweb posted:

Hey goons I have a tuition question:

I've been accepted to a grad program at NCCU where tuition was listed at NTD 12,300/semester for last year which puts it at ~US$410.

Am I reading this tuition correctly, or did they misplace a decimal somewhere?

I was under the impression I'd be paying closer to $10k for the program, not $2k until I just reread their info.

I just checked online and I'm seeing 123,600 for the IMAS program and 105,936 for the IDAS program. The time period is listed as "per academic year".

I'll be at NCCU this semester and the Chinese language program is 27500/semester.

I went to the Taiwan consulate in New York a couple of days ago and they wouldn't give me a visa due to my passport being somewhat damaged. I plan to enter visa free and get a new passport in Taipei, then attempt to get a visitor visa without having to leave Taiwan. Wish me luck Taiwangoons.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Holy poo poo is this the wrong time of day to try and take the MRT anywhere.

I've been to Tokyo, I should have known better. I should have known better!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Holy poo poo is this the wrong time of day to try and take the MRT anywhere.

I've been to Tokyo, I should have known better. I should have known better!
What it is; the streets are gonna be clogged up too anyway.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So this apology letter I need to write for overstaying my ARC, what should it contain? I'm assuming something like: "To whom it may concern. I lost track of time and overstayed my ARC, and for that I am sorry. Love, Moon Slayer. PS: Please let me back into Taiwan all my stuff is there."

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Make sure you tape it to a pack of betel nuts and half a pack of cigs.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

So this apology letter I need to write for overstaying my ARC, what should it contain? I'm assuming something like: "To whom it may concern. I lost track of time and overstayed my ARC, and for that I am sorry. Love, Moon Slayer. PS: Please let me back into Taiwan all my stuff is there."

Yeah, you got it. That is word for word what I wrote. I couldn't find my passport on the day of my flight, and the last day of my visa. I just wrote a letter that said, "due to my own error, I overstayed my visa." When I finished it, it seemed very short so I hammed it up a bit and said "I would enjoy the opportunity to return to your wonderful country." It worked, and I'm posting from Taipei this very moment.

Then a big signature in black ink across half the page to fill it up. If you have one of those red ink stamps with your Chinese name on it, I'm sure this would be a hilarious opportunity to use it for something official.

If you do attach half a pack of cigs to the letter, smuggle them in from Taiwan. You may find them to be too expensive in HK.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Hey, my company's looking for another full-time technical writer, so if you're in Taipei and want a non-teaching job that's on the level, feel free to apply.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
How much does a job like that pay, usually?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bloodnose posted:

How much does a job like that pay, usually?
I think for Technical Writing in general, it's something around 48-52K/month for entry level(the very lowest would be whatever the min. wage is for foreign professionals, which is 45K or something? I don't remember), goes up depending on relevant experience and long term if you start doing well/get promoted.

Reposting this seeing as it's sort of relevant again:

duckfarts posted:

I should note that it's a jobby job, with all its pros and cons vs teaching.

Pros:
  • Regular hours that don't vary every week
  • Tech poo poo is pretty cool
  • Job is stable if you don't suck
  • This isn't a skeevy under the table job where they don't support an ARC or pay you varying amounts in envelopes
  • Job experience that looks like job experience
  • Actual perks/employee welfare/holiday bonuses/stuff here 'n there
  • Vacation days you can actually use without requiring favors to get a sub
Cons:
  • It is in fact a jobby job
  • May not be as interesting/rewarding as teaching for some people
  • Full-time job means it's much harder to find time to study Chinese if you're serious on learning fast
  • Corporate environments aren't for everybody, like dirty hippies
  • If your tech knowledge sucks, you suck. This isn't really a con, it's just a statement. Also, work will be difficult I guess.
This all applies to tech writing in Taiwan in general.
I should add that if you need a route to get max cash ASAP, that's teaching + outside teaching to get up to 90K or more a month. Chances are others will be more up to date on that kind of info than me though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Capitalist lapdogs of the dissident province of Taiwan, what's the deal with tourism visas for citizens of the People's Republic of China? Is it still only possible to fly over with a guided tour?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

Capitalist lapdogs of the dissident province of Taiwan, what's the deal with tourism visas for citizens of the People's Republic of China? Is it still only possible to fly over with a guided tour?
Please translate your English to English, thank you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Please translate your English to English, thank you.

A PRC citizen wants to visit the ROC. How to acquire visa?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Mainlanders can travel to Taiwan on their own. They dont really have any restrictions in this day and age.

duckfarts posted:

I think for Technical Writing in general, it's something around 48-52K/month for entry level(the very lowest would be whatever the min. wage is for foreign professionals, which is 45K or something? I don't remember), goes up depending on relevant experience and long term if you start doing well/get promoted.

And how much is rent? Is that entry level pay local pay? Man, saving up money in Taiwan to pay for western debt sounds hard.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

And how much is rent? Is that entry level pay local pay? Man, saving up money in Taiwan to pay for western debt sounds hard.
Rent varies where you choose to live, both in terms of cities and areas within a city. For Taipei, I'd saaaaaaaaay 9k-12k for a room, 12k-17k for an apartment, 17k up for larger/nicer places, my numbers may be way out of date again though. (e: near-city prices, not necessarily in-city prices. Again, it's area-dependent.)

As for "is entry level local pay" question, it's actually much better; average salary for an office worker is something like 35k/month. The foreign professional salary is actually higher partly to detract companies from just importing their workforce for cheap labor instead of hiring qualified locals.

Yeah, earning money here to pay off debt will probably suck; the different salary standards between Taiwan and elsewhere is a definite thing that's not a big deal for some, but something to come to terms with for others(or just never get hired due to unreasonable demands). For a fun/odd example of how salaries can be weird, there was a news item about a guy who changed his profession from being a doctor to a ji pai(fried chicken cutlet) vendor because it was more realistic/viable as a means of making a living.(pretty sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is that also for a standard office worker work week? i.e. 40 hours? That'd be a horrible hourly rate.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wow. I was fooling with the idea of looking for work in Taiwan since I like it there and the fact I can speak Chinese might be marketable and it's not the mainland, but if the cost of living is higher and wages are lower I guess not :smith:

Guess I'll have to stay in no-free-internet land to pay off my debt. :smith::smith:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bloodnose posted:

Is that also for a standard office worker work week? i.e. 40 hours? That'd be a horrible hourly rate.
Nope; standard work weeks are actually 44 hoursish, meaning that a lot of companies have Saturdays every other week or a half day on Saturdays. Otherwise, it's sort of averaged out Monday through Friday and no weekends(also common).

Magna Kaser posted:

Wow. I was fooling with the idea of looking for work in Taiwan since I like it there and the fact I can speak Chinese might be marketable and it's not the mainland, but if the cost of living is higher and wages are lower I guess not :smith:
Cost of living can be quite cheap, particularly with fun things like national health insurance(fuckin yeah). Chinese fluency can be very useful, but it depends what you do.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Damnit man, can't you either post these job openings when it's really far away from my contract renewal so I can't even consider it, or right before my contract renewal so I can at least take a stab at it? I'm at a point in my contract where I don't feel like I could just up and leave, but where I am thinking about job opportunities, and just... drat.

Honestly, I've been seeing you post these openings once in a while for a couple of years now. It always sounded like a really appealing job to me and I'd like to think I'd be a good fit. When I was down in Tainan it was easy to handwave away as impossible, but now that I'm in the North, the only thing really holding me back is my job now.

Totally E/N post, but, I read about the opening while I was on a break this afternoon and now all evening it's been running around in my head, haha. Please post more to dissuade me from wanting the job, 'cause my current school is pretty invested in me and has done a lot to accommodate me. I just don't think I'd have the heart to bail on them if I could even manage to get the job.

...Or let me know if there'll be more openings in 2-3 months' time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Mainlanders can travel to Taiwan on their own. They dont really have any restrictions in this day and age.

Do you know anything about the visa application process? As far as I know they aren't visa-exempt (unlike you Hong Kongers :argh:)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

gently caress this gay earth
Sorry, hiring comes and goes and it's not really a scheduled thing as writers are intended to be long-term employees rather than a year or so. If hiring opens, it's generally because someone's going back to their home country or because through dark magicks, the head count allowance is increased.

Jeoh posted:

Do you know anything about the visa application process? As far as I know they aren't visa-exempt (unlike you Hong Kongers :argh:)
I think you'd find more knowledgeable people on this in the china thread maybe from people who may have visited here, since I don't thiiink there's anybody in the thread that's here and a Chinese national.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cross straits travel is mostly hassle free, just pay for a visa on arrival. Like mainlanders paying for a Thai Visa on arrival.

duckfarts posted:

Rent varies where you choose to live, both in terms of cities and areas within a city. For Taipei, I'd saaaaaaaaay 9k-12k for a room, 12k-17k for an apartment, 17k up for larger/nicer places,

As for "is entry level local pay" question, it's actually much better; average salary for an office worker is something like 35k/month. The foreign professional salary is actually higher partly to detract companies from just importing their workforce for cheap labor instead of hiring qualified locals.

Is that fresh university graduate entry level or highschool? (Not that a bachelors means too much in this day and age) How about a starting salary in a multi national company for an entry level position like Reuters? I'm just running some numbers through my brain and drat it's either HK rent is too expensive, or saving USA retirement/future family + kids in Taiwan requires careful career and financial planning.

Flying must get expensive in no time.

quote:

doctor to a ji pai(fried chicken cutlet) vendor because it was more realistic/viable as a means of making a living.(pretty sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere)

:psyduck: Taiwan is like the Philippines now?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Nope; standard work weeks are actually 44 hoursish, meaning that a lot of companies have Saturdays every other week or a half day on Saturdays. Otherwise, it's sort of averaged out Monday through Friday and no weekends(also common).

Cost of living can be quite cheap, particularly with fun things like national health insurance(fuckin yeah). Chinese fluency can be very useful, but it depends what you do.

Eh, the pay vs cost of living seems overall worse than most tier 2 mainland cities. Just converting the numbers, ESL teachers at a buxiban like EF or Web make about the same or a little more than the salary you mentioned while working less than 40hr weeks, and most non-ESL professional work for foreigners pays a bit more than that to start. Rent is much cheaper here as well, it seems. Also 40 hour workweeks are the norm, I've never seen that 44hr weekend stuff here in the mainland.

What are taxes like in Taiwan? They're pretty high here, about 25%+ for most people.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Is that fresh university graduate entry level or highschool? (Not that a bachelors means too much in this day and age) How about a starting salary in a multi national company for an entry level position like Reuters? I'm just running some numbers through my brain and drat it's either HK rent is too expensive, or saving USA retirement/future family + kids in Taiwan requires careful career and financial planning.
That's average average; I think entry level office jobs are like 28-32. Multi-national really depends on the company and work I guess?

Magna Kaser posted:

What are taxes like in Taiwan? They're pretty high here, about 25%+ for most people.
Generally 5% or 12% for most people, 20%/30%/40% for brackets above that. If you're here for less than 6 months though, you get the 20% rate. This is annoying because currently, you're supposed to get auto-deducted that 20% rate for the first six months of any year, then the normal rate after that, then you get the excess refunded the next year, like an awful way to save money. (process may vary depending on your workplace)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Most Taiwanese office workers would kill for work hours that short.

Magna Kaser posted:

Eh, the pay vs cost of living seems overall worse than most tier 2 mainland cities. Just converting the numbers, ESL teachers at a buxiban like EF or Web make about the same or a little more than the salary you mentioned while working less than 40hr weeks, and most non-ESL professional work for foreigners pays a bit more than that to start.
ESL teachers here make wicked money for way less than 40 hours a week. Those work weeks are what standard Taiwanese office workers work, and they get paid poo poo for it.

quote:

Taxes in Taiwan amount to roughly a fart in the wind. I'm pretty sure I pay about 6%. They're actually so low it's causing significant problems in terms of infrastructure investment.