Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Barbe Rouge posted:

Does anyone have a link to the post with a theory about the vampires' "empty night" curse?
I can't find but I remember reading it and things clicking together in my head. :)

It is the title of one of the novels in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, so I figure we'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Barbe Rouge posted:

Does anyone have a link to the post with a theory about the vampires' "empty night" curse?
I can't find but I remember reading it and things clicking together in my head. :)

I think I remember it - it was tying in stuff from the Book of Revelation with the curses and reveals in Cold Days. Unfortunately I don't remember which post it was or who posted it

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Wade Wilson posted:

It is the title of one of the novels in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy, so I figure we'll find out.
Doesn't Thomas explain it to someone in one of the side stories?

I may be misremembering but I think as curses go it is meant quite literally - the stars and moon being completely absent from the night sky would be a Very Bad Sign, even for vampires.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Taratang posted:

I may be misremembering but I think as curses go it is meant quite literally - the stars and moon being completely absent from the night sky would be a Very Bad Sign, even for vampires.

I thought it meant, like, if the night was empty, who would they eat?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Where can I find these side stories you guys occasionally talk about? How many of them are there?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Where can I find these side stories you guys occasionally talk about? How many of them are there?

There are a bunch in Side Jobs, and a few more scattered here and there. Don't know the exact number, though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Taratang posted:

What short story was this from?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It wasn't really ever explicitly stated, but I think empty night is pretty clearly a thing. In Cold Days I seem to recall Mother Winter or Summer using the term, but not as a swear but a description when discussing Outsiders. I may not be remembering right though.

We also have the actual Outer Gates. If you look outside of them, one of the noticeable thing is that the sky is completely empty. No stars, no sun, no planets, no light. Just darkness. Plus, it's the name of a book of the final trilogy. Empty night seems to very much be a known thing that happens when the world ends, at least by some beings.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Also, apparently the last 3 books will be "Stars and Stones", "Hell's Bells", and "Empty Night". So I'd guess that all of those phrases will end up having some pretty major significance in the end.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I've always been disappointed that Butcher never uses the whole curse. 'Hell's Bells And Buckets Of Blood' sounds so much more metal.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

I think I remember it - it was tying in stuff from the Book of Revelation with the curses and reveals in Cold Days. Unfortunately I don't remember which post it was or who posted it

Yes, that's it!

fake edit:
here's the quote, found it with a bit of creative googling

Stroth posted:

Oh, it gets better. Wormwood, the one who's 'not yet the appointed time for that one to be born' on Mother Summer's little rack o' plauges? It's another name for Wyrmwood. That's from the Book of Revelation: 'A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.' There's only one thing to do after that before they open up the gates of hell. And that's take down the sun, moon and stars from the sky. An Empty Night.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Saith posted:

I've always been disappointed that Butcher never uses the whole curse. 'Hell's Bells And Buckets Of Blood' sounds so much more metal.

You say that, but if Harry said that full quote everytime, it'd be even more annoying than it already is.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Saith posted:

Yeah, that poo poo would be awkward as gently caress to say on even a semi-regular basis. It actually sounds kinda dumb saying it even once.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

SerSpook posted:

It wasn't really ever explicitly stated, but I think empty night is pretty clearly a thing. In Cold Days I seem to recall Mother Winter or Summer using the term, but not as a swear but a description when discussing Outsiders. I may not be remembering right though.

We also have the actual Outer Gates. If you look outside of them, one of the noticeable thing is that the sky is completely empty. No stars, no sun, no planets, no light. Just darkness. Plus, it's the name of a book of the final trilogy. Empty night seems to very much be a known thing that happens when the world ends, at least by some beings.

Mother Summer uses the line as when talking to Mother Winter about helping Harry, when Winter claims to not care about saving lives or something. "Better that than Empty Night." or something along those lines.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I always read it as, since its a curse primarily used by non-humans, that the things that go bump in the night (elves, vampires, etc.) fear being destroyed and leaving night empty and terrifying.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

VanSandman posted:

I always read it as, since its a curse primarily used by non-humans, that the things that go bump in the night (elves, vampires, etc.) fear being destroyed and leaving night empty and terrifying.

Conversely as it's a curse used primarily by supernatural predators, it could be the idea that there is no more prey.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I always took it as empty night was oblivion. No stars/sun/moon etc. The end of all things.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Oroborus posted:

I always took it as empty night was oblivion. No stars/sun/moon etc. The end of all things.

That's how I saw it. I think in one of the books or stories either Thomas or Lara explain that's what it is. Maybe in the Oblivion War thing?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Lara said it when the Naagloshi was wrecking the estate.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Wade Wilson posted:

Lara said it when the Naagloshi was wrecking the estate.

I'd probably trust the Naagloshii over Lara as an information source if I had to choose.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I started worm serial because of what I saw on here. Geeze there are 27 chapters now. It's great but thats going to take forever.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Oh god.

You guys, I just started listening to the first Sandman Slim audiobook.

It's the stupidest, most swaggering 'badass' crap I have ever heard.

And I love it!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

packsmack posted:

I started worm serial because of what I saw on here. Geeze there are 27 chapters now. It's great but thats going to take forever.

It will, and if you're like me you won't regret any of it.

That said, there apparently is a thread mostly devoted to Worm. Let's move discussion over to the Web Serials thread and leave all those poor non-Worm-reading bastards in peace.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Donraj posted:

Oh god.

You guys, I just started listening to the first Sandman Slim audiobook.

It's the stupidest, most swaggering 'badass' crap I have ever heard.

And I love it!

For me, the first book is the peak of the series. Not that the others aren't good, but it's hard to capture that sort of meatheaded glory twice. Still, the funniest part of every book is always the author's portrait.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Mr. Fowl posted:

For me, the first book is the peak of the series. Not that the others aren't good, but it's hard to capture that sort of meatheaded glory twice. Still, the funniest part of every book is always the author's portrait.

..oh, god, what? What?

I always assumed that like, 95% of Sandman Slim was tongue-in-cheek, overly badass for the sake of being overly badass.

It's.. Real? I mean, I love the books, and still intend to keep reading them, but man, that changes things. Haha.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
After all this talk about Sandman Slim I decided to take a look at the preview on Amazon.

This is the stupidest, awesomest, bestworst thing already I think I'm going to end up buying it.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2013

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

VanSandman posted:

Actually as far as the phrase "empty night" goes, remember that Thomas/Lara are Venators and thus understand to at least some degree the capability of god-like beings causing the end of the world. While those beings are not explicitly identified as outsiders, they are right up that same lovecraftian alley with mortal cults and worship. Actually the short story and the current reveals in cold-days match up pretty well such as when Thomas describes the Oblivion War to Bob:

“And we’re not just talking about pagan gods.
We’re talking about things that people of today have no words for, no concept to
adequately define. Demons of such appetites and fury that the only way mortals
in some parts of the world survived them at all was with the help of Some of
those early gods. Demons who had to be stopped, permanently.”

The "demons" Thomas talks about do sound very similar to outsiders. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Mab turned out to have had a hand in the formation of the Venators, during the conversation at the Outer gates it was revealed that Mab wasn't always in the position she is now, and had only became responsible for safeguarding reality in the current era. It would have to be quite a coincidence that the Venators formed 5,000 years ago right at the start of the "era" of civilization alongside Mab's ascension to her role as guardian. With that context a shared phrase between the Mothers and Venators isn't that far fetched.

So while a few other Raiths have used the phrase, I wouldn't be surprised if as a curse it's become somewhat generec and has had it's true meaning forgotten except by a few.

(See the short story "Backup" narrated by Thomas for the Venator stuff)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just finished Moon Called which is... Surprisingly not bad . Definitely not ranked with Dresden or Peter Grant, but leagues beyond Anita Blake or Iron Druid. The supporting Werewolf characters were uniform, but them having powers beside 'can turn into a wolf' was pretty cool. I'd give it a 3/5 starborns.

Edit: Dresden stuff. Is there any mention either in book/side story/word of Jim of who guarded the gates before Winter?

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 21, 2013

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

OmniBeer posted:

..oh, god, what? What?

I always assumed that like, 95% of Sandman Slim was tongue-in-cheek, overly badass for the sake of being overly badass.

It's.. Real? I mean, I love the books, and still intend to keep reading them, but man, that changes things. Haha.

I think the acknowledgements in Kill the Dead say all that need to be said: "Thanks to Lustmord, Controlled Bleeding, The Germs, Tool, and Les Baxter who provided most of the soundtrack for this book."

Sure, Sandman Slim is cornball as gently caress, but sometimes it is fun to unselfconsciously throw on a ripped up Iron Maiden t-shirt, tie back your Dave Mustaine mullet, and slam some natty light while headbanging to some old Slayer and tinkering on your IROC in the driveway.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just finished Broken Homes, have to say that thirty pages into the book i was was wondering why i was bothering to read it and the feeling stayed with me for it's entirety.

It pads out the series without adding anything interesting, happily not down to Iron Druid levels but it is a bit disappoining.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-Fish- posted:

Just finished Moon Called which is... Surprisingly not bad . Definitely not ranked with Dresden or Peter Grant, but leagues beyond Anita Blake or Iron Druid. The supporting Werewolf characters were uniform, but them having powers beside 'can turn into a wolf' was pretty cool. I'd give it a 3/5 starborns.

Edit: Dresden stuff. Is there any mention either in book/side story/word of Jim of who guarded the gates before Winter?

Actually, compare moon called to the first couple Dresden's, it's closer. Series improved as it goes, growing some nice depth, and a take on the Fae I like even more than Dresden.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

wallaka posted:

Alternatively, I read Tad Williams' Dirty Streets of Heaven and was pretty damned happy. A mystery, some loving, demons, payoffs, corruption, all the good stuff.

So hey: this book, Tad Williams' entry in the urban fantasy(-ish) genre, is currently the Kindle daily SF/F deal, and also $1.99 at B&N and iTunes. I haven't read it yet, but lots of awesome reviews, and Tad's pretty great in general. (I am not unbiased here--connected to the publisher--but still wanted to spread the word.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 22, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

onefish posted:

So hey: this book, Tad Williams' entry in the urban fantasy(-ish) genre, is currently the Kindle daily SF/F deal, and also $1.99 at B&N and iTunes. I haven't read it yet, but lots of awesome reviews, and Tad's pretty great in general. (I am not unbiased here--connected to the publisher--but still wanted to spread the word.)

$2 is a good gamble. I'm sold.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's actually a pretty good book. It takes a bit to get going, but once it does, it's a hell of a ride. The sequel comes out early next month.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

-Fish- posted:

We probably won't find out until he posts the backstory that never made it into the novels, like he did with Alera...you know, when the series is finished... ten to fifteen years from now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

It's actually a pretty good book. It takes a bit to get going, but once it does, it's a hell of a ride. The sequel comes out early next month.

My experience exactly. I apparently liked more than I knew, because I have been really up for the sequel. He's built a world I want to see more of.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Ghetto Prince posted:

We probably won't find out until he posts the backstory that never made it into the novels, like he did with Alera...you know, when the series is finished... ten to fifteen years from now.

Five years. They've been pretty reliably released once per year, it's ~twenty books, and #15 is out in December.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

coffeetable posted:

Five years. They've been pretty reliably released once per year, it's ~twenty books, and #15 is out in December.

Actually, Jim has said he's a little behind, and it's likely to be about ~25 total, now.

No complaints here, though. The more Dresden the better.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

coffeetable posted:

Um...I don't think there's a release date for Skin Game yet, is there? Butcher's site says there isn't. I didn't think it was coming out until 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

chellesandcheese posted:

Um...I don't think there's a release date for Skin Game yet, is there? Butcher's site says there isn't. I didn't think it was coming out until 2014.

Amazon has it coming out December 3rd '13:
http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Game-Dresden-Files-ebook/dp/B00CIVLY22

but who knows...

• Locked thread