Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Don Lapre posted:

If you subscribe to basic cable you will get a letter offering you a discounted or free DTA.

Yep, but the DTA doesn't do HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mighty Horse posted:

Yep, but the DTA doesn't do HD.

They have HD-DTA's in some markets. Dont know what the upcharge is though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Synology's DS Video app for Roku came out and it does subtitles and MKV's. My life .. is complete again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goons,

what are my options for getting NFL games without cable/dish? I've seen the Madden 25 $99 anniversary edition that comes with Sunday Ticket, but I'd like to be able to stream from my PS3, which that package doesn't seem to be able to do.

I don't care about anything other than Red Zone. I want Red Zone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gyshall posted:

Goons,

what are my options for getting NFL games without cable/dish? I've seen the Madden 25 $99 anniversary edition that comes with Sunday Ticket, but I'd like to be able to stream from my PS3, which that package doesn't seem to be able to do.

HTPC + Pirate streams.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

HTPC + Pirate streams.

This, because the NFL hates the internet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Goons,

Is paying the $300ish for the full Sunday Ticket package not an option? My brother in law has done that in the past, it's cheaper than hitting up a bar as long as you've got decent internet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Where is the $300 package? Can't find it anywhere.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Where is the $300 package? Can't find it anywhere.

You can call and ask, but they usually don't open up signup until closer to the start of the season:

http://www.sportsgeekery.com/28772/get-nfl-sunday-ticket-online-without-directv/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Not to be a double bumping jerk and this may be the wrong thread, but does anything out there actually support Netflix profiles yet? Is it just the PS3?

The demonstration video seems to be showing crap that doesn't actually exist yet on the web, and I haven't find any device apps that are profile aware.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Maneki Neko posted:

Not to be a double bumping jerk and this may be the wrong thread, but does anything out there actually support Netflix profiles yet? Is it just the PS3?

The demonstration video seems to be showing crap that doesn't actually exist yet on the web, and I haven't find any device apps that are profile aware.

It isn't even fully rolled out yet and it already breaks a lot of things, like windows media center. It'll take a little bit to catch up with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maneki Neko posted:

Apple TV supports it.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Can anyone here give me an opinion on the value of Hulu+?

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I can't really tell if Hulu+ is really going to give me much. I read that you get access to currently airing TV shows which sounds pretty cool, but looking through their website I see a lot of stuff I don't recognize and not too much of what I guess I would call mainstream shows. There also does not seem to be a easy way to tell what will be available, like I see a few Comedy Central shows, but not all, like they are licensing on a show by show basis.

So, any opinions on the breadth and depth of what is offered? How bad is the commercial interruption given that I would already be paying for the service?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can get a 2 week or a month trial. Just try it and see if you would use it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

emocrat posted:

Can anyone here give me an opinion on the value of Hulu+?

I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I can't really tell if Hulu+ is really going to give me much. I read that you get access to currently airing TV shows which sounds pretty cool, but looking through their website I see a lot of stuff I don't recognize and not too much of what I guess I would call mainstream shows. There also does not seem to be a easy way to tell what will be available, like I see a few Comedy Central shows, but not all, like they are licensing on a show by show basis.

So, any opinions on the breadth and depth of what is offered? How bad is the commercial interruption given that I would already be paying for the service?

It seems that hulu+ has a lot of shows netflix doesn't, but still doesn't have everything I want.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Just started my two month trial with Hulu+ http://www.hulu.com/plus/awesomes2month?cmp=2610

I'm finally checking out a few network comedy shows that I've been avoiding for the past few years. A surprising amount of commercials for a paid service, but nothing too bad.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hulu+ is a good service if you want shows that are airing now (mostly) on the broadcast networks. They are typically posted the day after they air and I think only Fox has a time limit on how long they stay up. Commercial breaks are usually only 1 minute long so its not terrible.

If it fits your viewing habits, it works great.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks all,

Especially for the link to the 2 free months. Going strait to the Hulu page they only offer a 1 week trial, so yeah in 2 months I can def figure it out.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Someone asked about cheapest way to watch Sunday Ticket:

http://kotaku.com/the-cheapest-way-to-watch-the-nfl-this-year-1041559197

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

bo_chrud posted:

I'm guessing i wouldn't be able to watch my team's games w/ this if i live in their TV market area, right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bo_chrud posted:

Yeah, but this doesn't work on PS3, which was what the dude wanted.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah. I actually just want Red Zone, if that has it I am all game for just hooking up a computer or tablet to my TV.

dylar
Nov 27, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Yeah. I actually just want Red Zone, if that has it I am all game for just hooking up a computer or tablet to my TV.

If you're willing to do that, last year, and currently, NFL Gamepass was free in the Netherlands in a browser. If you can proxy/VPN yourself to the Netherlands, every game is available live, as well as RedZone, and all the other stuff like condensed game, All 22, etc. There's a disclaimer at the bottom of the NL gamepass page saying that they can end the promo at any time so YMMV but worth a try.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

I'm guessing i wouldn't be able to watch my team's games w/ this if i live in their TV market area, right?

Yea but don't they broadcast all the games via OTA channels? They do here in GB.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bo_chrud posted:

Yea but don't they broadcast all the games via OTA channels? They do here in GB.

Often yes, but not always, and they can opt to cancel broadcast of a local game if ticket sales are down.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003
The unofficial YouTube channel for Roku, myVideoBuzz, which broke with the latest firmware, has been updated. And has been made open source. http://utmostsolutions.github.io/myvideobuzz/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Joe Don Baker posted:

Apple TV supports it.

Heck yea, looks like 360 supports it now too.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!
Has anyone found a solution for TV tuner cards and utilizing them within Plex? I can do some leg work if it isn't straight forward.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

UFO posted:

Has anyone found a solution for TV tuner cards and utilizing them within Plex? I can do some leg work if it isn't straight forward.

This isn't available right now in Plex as far as I'm aware. It's a feature being considered at some point (as XBMC supports it), but isn't present in the current beta Home Theater builds. Most likely using XBMC is your best bet in the short term.

If you have an HDHomeRun you may be able to use the DLNA streams it provides

EDIT:

Oh wait, I lied some guys hacked some stuff together, XBMC still may be a better option:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57893-live-tv-pvr-in-plex-home-theater/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 9, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

UFO posted:

What for? Playing broadcast TV content inside of Plex by way of the TV card in the computer?

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!

withak posted:

What for? Playing broadcast TV content inside of Plex by way of the TV card in the computer?

Yes - preferably over multiple platforms/devices

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Well, this explains why Madden doesn't come with sunday ticket for the ps3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/ps3-wont-get-nfl-sunday-ticket-this-year-does-receive-live-eve/

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

withak posted:

Often yes, but not always, and they can opt to cancel broadcast of a local game if ticket sales are down.

When are NFL ticket sales ever down? Here in Houston you have to murder someone to get a ticket. And if your team is on Monday night football they still have to show it OTA. I am sadly leaving the cableless era. I couldn't explain my setup to my girlfriend and just ordered that new Comcast DVR. At least it looks to have a better interface than the old one

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

When are NFL ticket sales ever down? Here in Houston you have to murder someone to get a ticket. And if your team is on Monday night football they still have to show it OTA. I am sadly leaving the cableless era. I couldn't explain my setup to my girlfriend and just ordered that new Comcast DVR. At least it looks to have a better interface than the old one

Tampa and San Diego home games have been nearly always blacked out for the last few years.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'll be back with directv soon for the NBA season. The broadband package doesn't offer both teams home announcers and I have been spoiled in the past.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Not sure if this is the right place to ask - let me know if I should start a new thread. I'm moving to Africa to work for an NGO for a couple of years, and the project leader has asked me to look into solutions for viewing live US TV over there. As far as I can tell, Slingbox is the only option, and it looks like it should work well, but are there any other products I should look into? They have a reliable internet connection, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

surrender posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - let me know if I should start a new thread. I'm moving to Africa to work for an NGO for a couple of years, and the project leader has asked me to look into solutions for viewing live US TV over there. As far as I can tell, Slingbox is the only option, and it looks like it should work well, but are there any other products I should look into? They have a reliable internet connection, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Dont know how reliable you want but TVUplayer usually has some local tv stations going. You could also just get someones comcast login and use the different tv anywhere sites though you may need to use a us proxy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

surrender posted:

USTVNow on the Roku works pretty well, the tv stations won't be local though.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Photex posted:

USTVNow on the Roku works pretty well, the tv stations won't be local though.

I have ustv and it works great.

As for my own issue with cutting cable, my cable Internet company has put a monthly allowance for bandwidth. We were going to be capped at 250. We checked our data usage for the month of August (they only allowed this for the first time on the day we got the email) and it was 303 GB. We only use the Internet for light usage (Facebook and the forums), and then streaming (Netflix, hulu plus, amazon prime and busy) to replace TV.

We were able to switch to a higher level with 350 GB of bandwidth (and it is actually cheaper than what we were paying) so hopefully it will not be an issue. It just surprised me that we use that much data in a month. (According to the data meter, 40 minutes of a kids show on netflix is 566 mbps which is equal to 28 hours of online gaming) The majority of our streaming is done for children's shows on Netflix and it is mostly background sound while we play with our daughters.

Is there any way to help reduce our usage when it comes to streaming (beyond the obvious of cutting back or turning it off when you are playing)?/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can limit the data rate for Netflix. Sign in and go to My Account - Manage Video Quality. They give you three options:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
Best quality (up to 1.0 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)