Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Valt posted:

But it looks like a bobber! There are at least 3 guys that hang out at my work that ride newer sportsters with spring seats on them. Honestly I hated the one that I had on my 750 (which was actually a rigid frame) because all it ever did was bounce me out of the seat.

Im putting an airspring seat on my sportster, which is getting a rigid frame. I like the air springs because you can inflate them to however much bounce you want. I like a soft ride with minimal bounce. Of course we make our air spring systems from parts we have been working on over the years and its based off Paul Cox's system. But its awesome.

I would never put one on a bike with rear suspension. If you want a bobber, chop yourself a god damned bobber. Oh well Im going off on a bike the dude wanted to show off his exhaust.

I like your exhaust dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

clutchpuck posted:

It also has a factory springer fork. Wrap your mind around that.

Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would never put one on a bike with rear suspension. If you want a bobber, chop yourself a god damned bobber. Oh well Im going off on a bike the dude wanted to show off his exhaust.

I like your exhaust dude!

Some of use don't want to gently caress with chopping up bikes and would rather buy something that is mostly the way we like. I personally love the springer look, and the seat isn't that bouncy (more annoying is that it's such a shallow seat - I tend to slide off the back at anything above 75).

Also, I would never buy a loving Sportster, so, y'know, different strokes...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Raven457 posted:

Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices!

The first thing that comes to mind is EDO RAM.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Braincloud posted:

Also, I would never buy a loving Sportster, so, y'know, different strokes...

You are absolutely right. I prefer to have the most rock solid engine HD has ever built on my bike. And I wanted to spend less than 4k on my bike. Best of both worlds for me.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
If you guys are going to start dick waving on tech I think you bought the wrong bike.

I think the pipes and the springer seat do wonders for the look of the bike. It's a very nice even distribution of black and chrome/metal accents around a gorgeous blue paint job. It would certainly turn my head every time it drove by.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Halo_4am posted:

If you guys are going to start dick waving on tech I think you bought the wrong bike.

I think the pipes and the springer seat do wonders for the look of the bike. It's a very nice even distribution of black and chrome/metal accents around a gorgeous blue paint job. It would certainly turn my head every time it drove by.

I really did like his pipes. And I also dig the blue paint.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Halo_4am posted:

Ask the VFR guys which is better; gear or chain driven cams.

Spoiler alert: gear-driven.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
But my E-PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!

But yeah, that side with the pipes has a nice balance. The other side of the bike has a brushed aluminum primary cover which sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm currently looking for a black replacement which should set the chrome/black balance into a nice range. Of course, most of them on ebay have "minor scratches" which equate to the bottom half of the derby cover flair being ground away.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Braincloud posted:

But my E-PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!

But yeah, that side with the pipes has a nice balance. The other side of the bike has a brushed aluminum primary cover which sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm currently looking for a black replacement which should set the chrome/black balance into a nice range. Of course, most of them on ebay have "minor scratches" which equate to the bottom half of the derby cover flair being ground away.

You can get it powder coated for a few hundred bucks. The dealership will take it off for you and let you take it while you have the primary maintenance done.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Raven457 posted:

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.
As a Ducati owner :smug:, I found that hilarious too.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004
I am looking to buy my first Harley, and found an 03 Wide Glide, low miles (6500 or so) in good shape for around $7000. Checked around and seems like a good price, and I love the bike. A good friend of mine has the same bike and loves it, I was looking at sportsters, but I am tall and they are just not very comfortable for me, the wide glide seemed like a nice step up, plus I am hoping it will be better for some longer rides. Any thoughts?

Here is the bike in question:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

dimmlight posted:

I am looking to buy my first Harley, and found an 03 Wide Glide, low miles (6500 or so) in good shape for around $7000. Checked around and seems like a good price, and I love the bike. A good friend of mine has the same bike and loves it, I was looking at sportsters, but I am tall and they are just not very comfortable for me, the wide glide seemed like a nice step up, plus I am hoping it will be better for some longer rides. Any thoughts?

Here is the bike in question:

Looks good to me, are those factory forward controls or OEM? Just asking because factory ones are great, OEM not so much.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Looks good to me, are those factory forward controls or OEM? Just asking because factory ones are great, OEM not so much.

Are you trying to say factory or aftermarket? Factory and OEM would be the same thing as far as I know.

Bike looks pretty nice to me but I've not priced them so can't speak to that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The tail rack and backrest will be handy for living with that bike. The wire spoke wheels look nice on it. Those TC88s run pretty warm, stock. If the tax has been paid on the fueling, that'd be a bonus. Sub-$9000 big twin Harleys in my area always look abused and neglected - if that one looks nice, the price seems good to me.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They are factory controls.

I've priced them and the price is good. There is one ding on the rear fender, but the tank and front fender are clean. Looks like there was something on the rack and it either vibrated against the paint or fell and nicked it, but doesn't seem like to big of a deal.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scrapez posted:

Are you trying to say factory or aftermarket? Factory and OEM would be the same thing as far as I know.

Bike looks pretty nice to me but I've not priced them so can't speak to that.

Normally you would be right. But for some reason on certain bikes (especially Sportsters) forward controls from the factory are simple beautiful little things. If you buy them from HD as a kit its a mess of jangles and bullshit that never looks quite right.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I had a couple minutes to blow while out running errands so I stopped by the local H-D dealer for some ogling. They had a 72 out front in the candy green with whitewalls that I could ogle all day. But the seat is immediately awful and I'd really want more than the 2 gallon tank. I sat on a 48, same problem with seat and tank and the bars just didn't feel right.

Also the lady working there twice called my Aprilia a Honda

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A sporty doesn't make a great replacement for a sport tourer but it would be good variety to have both. A friend of mine runs a K1300GT and a nightster I think, enjoys both.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

A sporty doesn't make a great replacement for a sport tourer but it would be good variety to have both. A friend of mine runs a K1300GT and a nightster I think, enjoys both.

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm trading my Aprilia for anything, but I wouldn't mind trading the Speed Triple for something better for in-town pootling. Problem is, the Sporsters weigh more than my danged sport-tourer. Yeah, I know they carry it different, but still, leaning more towards something more supermoto-ey.

They've still got XR1200s on the floor, too.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm trading my Aprilia for anything, but I wouldn't mind trading the Speed Triple for something better for in-town pootling. Problem is, the Sporsters weigh more than my danged sport-tourer. Yeah, I know they carry it different, but still, leaning more towards something more supermoto-ey.

They've still got XR1200s on the floor, too.

I would love an XR1200, that is a freaking awesome machine.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'll admit a bit of lust for an XR1200. It's the only Harley with a reasonable power-to-weight ratio and won't glint you to blindness in the sun if you look at it. One of my coworkers just got an early 2000's Sportster 883 and will not shut the gently caress up about how fast it is. That is sure a blistering 14.5 second quarter mile, can't really think of any car that would match it. I'm one of the only guys in the office with a bike that's not a stretched 'Busa so we have to be best riding buds now. Hell, maybe I can teach him to use the front brake and turn the bike if he don't hafta layer dan first. It's a race against time.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

What I can't figure out is why harley makes a sportster 48 and a sportster 72 but not a 57. Had they come out with it last year it would have even been it's 55th anniversary of production.

Since I couldn't buy one I've slowly been trying to make one. Last fall I picked up an 2002 1200 that looked like this.

After pulling the windshield and sissy bar I changed out the bars, headlight and seat and added fork boots, whitewalls, crash bars, highway pegs, taillight hood and retro grips. It currently looks like this.

I really like it and almost every time I'm riding somebody will run up and ask me what year it's from thinking it's a 50's era bike. I'm still debating on getting wire wheels and a 2 into 1 exhaust with a cocktail shaker muffler but the wheels would be a safety and maintenance downgrade from cast and I can't find an old looking exhaust for under $600.

The funny thing is I kept picturing this idea of a 50's bike in my head and working towards it and the other day I watched IQ and realized the motorcycle scene must have rubbed off when I watched it as a kid as I had cloned Tim Robbin's K model without realizing where I was picturing the bike from.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 12, 2013

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pubic Lair posted:

What I can't figure out is why harley makes a sportster 48 and a sportster 72 but not a 57. Had they come out with it last year it would have even been it's 55th anniversary of production.

Since I couldn't buy one I've slowly been trying to make one. Last fall I picked up an 2002 1200 that looked like this.

After pulling the windshield and sissy bar I changed out the bars, headlight and seat and added fork boots, whitewalls, crash bars, highway pegs, taillight hood and retro grips. It currently looks like this.

I really like it and almost every time I'm riding somebody will run up and ask me what year it's from thinking it's a 50's era bike. I'm still debating on getting wire wheels and a 2 into 1 exhaust with a cocktail shaker muffler but the wheels would be a safety and maintenance downgrade from cast and I can't find an old looking exhaust for under $600.

They made a 50th anniversary model and a bunch of stick on parts. I don't remember it selling well.

Your's looks cool, though.

Ninjajebus
Jan 19, 2005
I am considering a Sportster as a first bike. What does the hive-mind think of as Sportsters starting out?

The thing that is really giving me fits is that a mid 90's to mid 2000's 883 goes for about the same as a 1200 around here. Why not get the bigger engine if it doesn't cost me any more? Is the difference between an 883 and a 1200 that big of deal?

Any tips are very appreciated!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Remember that your first bike is going to get banged around, scratched up, dropped etc. If you're fine doing that to a Sportster, ok.

Price listings on Craigslist aren't what bikes are worth or are sold for; slightly old Harleys in particular get listed at completely absurd prices and often rot there.

That being said, you can probably find a low-displacement metric cruiser for pennies on the Harley dollar and get much the same riding experience.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ninjajebus posted:

I am considering a Sportster as a first bike. What does the hive-mind think of as Sportsters starting out?

The thing that is really giving me fits is that a mid 90's to mid 2000's 883 goes for about the same as a 1200 around here. Why not get the bigger engine if it doesn't cost me any more? Is the difference between an 883 and a 1200 that big of deal?

Particularly with sportsers the 1200 and 883 have the same weight so the benefit of easier handling is a wash. The 1200 is a better deal if you have the self control to go easy on the throttle and are physically large enough to maneuver a sportsters height and weight around when it's off. I've ridden for years and lift weights a few times a week but my 1200 is still a bitch to move when it's turned off.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Ninjajebus posted:

Have you ever ridden anything before? If not, I would go with a metric to bang up, nick, drop learn on, and get a feel for riding.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pubic Lair posted:

I've ridden for years and lift weights a few times a week but my 1200 is still a bitch to move when it's turned off.

Thats the truth. I didnt realize how heavy this bitch was until I had to move it into my backyard while it was off. Jesus. Makes me miss my honda.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thats the truth. I didnt realize how heavy this bitch was until I had to move it into my backyard while it was off. Jesus. Makes me miss my honda.

tell me about it.

I somehow knocked my r/r pigtail loose and drained my battery and push starting it was a bitch. luckily I was able to get it home with some judicious coasting and bump starting but after I figured out the problem and had to push start with a completely dead battery to get it charging again I was considering how my taste in motorcycles had gone so far astray.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
On the other hand, they're ridiculously easy to work on...

Anyway, if you do go for a Sportster, if possible go for a 2004 or later one as they've got a rubber mount engine. Also, the 1200 is fine for a first bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The 1200 isn't much more bike than the 883. The bigger one has more torque but the overall power difference is pretty much negligible.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

High Protein posted:

On the other hand, they're ridiculously easy to work on...

Anyway, if you do go for a Sportster, if possible go for a 2004 or later one as they've got a rubber mount engine. Also, the 1200 is fine for a first bike.

I've got a solid mount from 2002 and the vibration really isn't an issue for me. I did have my hands go numb from the vibration of my zr550 when I rode for more than an hour so maybe I'm a weirdo.

If you are looking I think it's something like
198? Sporster with evolution motors
1989? 1200 and 5 speed trans introduces
1993? Belt drive introduced
1998? Digital Gauges
2004 Rubber mount, tanks and seats changed
2006 EFI Tanks and seats change again

So if I were looking I would say 93 and up are worth a look if they are in nice shape.
93-03 is pretty much unchanged and parts/seats are everywhere
04-now rubbermount but seats and tanks don't interchange with even other rubbermounts ect..

You'll probably get a much better price on a solid mount and can use it not being rubber as a bargaining chip depending on seller. Also keep on the lookout for bikes with dual front disc brakes and 2 plugs per cylinder they are a sport model that are sought after and some sellers may not know what they have.

Ninjajebus
Jan 19, 2005

dimmlight posted:

Have you ever ridden anything before? If not, I would go with a metric to bang up, nick, drop learn on, and get a feel for riding.

I am not too experienced. I just passed the MSF.

My friend bought a Honda Shadow 650 for like 3700, and after checking CL, I've seen a bunch of Sportsters in that range, so I thought why not go with the cooler bike? (at least in my mind)

I am thinking of spending in the 3k to 4k range. I almost have that much saved up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ninjajebus posted:

My friend bought a Honda Shadow 650 for like 3700, and after checking CL, I've seen a bunch of Sportsters in that range, so I thought why not go with the cooler bike? (at least in my mind)

I am thinking of spending in the 3k to 4k range. I almost have that much saved up.

I will sell you my Honda Shadow VLX for 4k. It looks cooler than your buddies, I promise.

But if you want a Sportster you should go for it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ninjajebus posted:

I started with a 2006 XL883-R. I rode it for about 8 months before I wanted to move up to something more powerful (I do a lot of mountain/canyon riding).

I thought it was a great beginner bike. Just enough power to learn some aggressive cornering on, but certainly not enough to really catch you off guard. I took it all the way from timid, low-speed parking lot practice to full-throttle canyon runs and everything inbetween and it handled it all quite well. Scraping pegs deep in a corner is a little scary, but it's heavy enough that it doesn't get thrown offline.

It is difficult to push around and you have to be careful parking on hills etc. I'm a big 6'3" 210lbs though, so I never had many issues. As a side note, I don't know how big you are but if you're a larger dude than me I'd get something bigger. Other than that if you can find a good deal (definitely get a 1200 if you can), I'd say get one. They're real easy to work on in my experience too, and last minute parts are generally easy to find locally because every town has a Harley/chopper shop.

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

GanjamonII posted:

Im going to be renting a hardley in Miami (Friend who rides visiting for my wedding wants the full 'American experience' or something).

If you could ride any harley for 1-2 days, which would you ride?

At the moment leaning towards a v-rod since at least its not super slow..

A Road King.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Ninjajebus posted:

If you have passed the MSF, just get what you want. You can gain riding experience with a giant grin on your face because you have the bike that makes you happy. No reason to be out there riding something you aren't happy with.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

A Sportster was my first street bike. (I'd ridden dirt bikes as a kid)

I'd say it's a fine first bike in the sense that they aren't powerful enough stock to really get out of hand. On the other hand, they are heavy and one of the hardest things when you're a new rider is low speed maneuvering. It's certainly a recipe for dropping it.

I started on a 1987 883 and I certainly dropped it a couple times. Luckily just scraped mirrors and turn signals.

I have a 2000 Sportster now. It started life as an 883 but I put an NRHS 1250 kit on it with heads, cams, etc. It's a really fast bike now for a Harley. Doing about 90 HP at the rear wheel. Point being that you won't necessarily grow out of the bike in the future. There are a lot of ways to make them fast for fairly cheap.

I've ridden both rubbermounts and rigidmounts and couldn't really tell a difference in vibration so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

In 2000, they went to the 4 piston calipers so the brakes are much better. Certainly something to consider.

You should have no problem finding a very nice Sportster in the 3-4k range depending where you live.

If you are considering making it a fast bike in the future, you may want to consider an 883 now. The 883 heads are desirable over the 1200 heads for their performance.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Yeah I ride a 2000 883 XLH and the 4 piston calipers on the brakes are loving great. I would suggest if at all possible don't get a pre-2000 Sporty. They are heavy but once you get clutch control down-pat you can use the torque on the bike to compensate for the weight at low speed. I would suggest practicing in a parking lot and not being a dumb scrub like me and almost wrecking your bike multiple times because you thought you were all badass because you rode a scooter.

If you can, get a bike with leg savers. Don't even consider them leg savers, more frame savers. I have dropped that drat thing so many times when I first got it, and if not for the highway bars I'd probably have broken half the bike by now.

Also, if you really like vibration, the pre-2004s are great, as well you can probably talk down the price as others have mentioned.

• Locked thread