Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Abbeh posted:

Anyone have some really good cat/kitten gifs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

Abbeh posted:

Sure, what are you after?

I've got some kittens just being cute:

I've got bouncy kittens:

and I've got kittens playing with tails:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
From the people who gave us Kitten Vs. Scary Thing, we have the sequel. Kitten Vs. TWO Scary Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-1F-CokXNU

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Tycho's got a doppelganger

So far, it seems to be working.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

That cat has had a rough life, good on your parents for giving it a nice home. I'd pet him all day if I could.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
All those gifs helped make a lousy week not quite so lovely. Thanks guys :3:

And in return, here are some gifs of my own kitties:

vv why yes, yes it is

Abbeh has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Aug 11, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

^: Is that a hand knit scarf in that first picture?

:neckbeard:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Abbeh posted:

Maybe.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Golden-i posted:

Tycho's got a doppelganger

Don't you mean... doggelganger?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

This must always be accompanied by the video.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Demon box!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She better have adopted that kitten.

Oh god, the butt wiggle. :3:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So majestic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The cat's expression reminds me of that neti pot woman.

They both have that 'I'm not here right now' stare.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Must... purge... unclean thoughts...

Seems like something David Cronenberg would cook up.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Richard Renaldi is a photographer from Chicago. He looks for complete strangers on the streets and asks them to stand together in each other's personal space and takes photos.
Some of them you would never guess they had never met.
The series is called Touching Strangers
http://www.renaldi.com/projects/#num=content-188&id=album-11

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Taken off imgur, two stories of awesome police officers and their new pups.
This Baltimore City Police Officer found this pup in an abandoned house, took him to the shelter, then went back and adopted him after his shift.

quote:

On Wednesday Baltimore police officer, Dan Waskiewicz, was honored by the Baltimore Humane Society for adopting a pit bull he saved in May.

Waskiewicz received a call months ago about a "vicious" dog in South Baltimore. When the officer arrived at the scene, he saw kids chasing the dog and throwing glass bottles at the pit bull. Waskiewicz called the dog over and reported the dog sat next to him and began licking him. The officer transported the pit bull to the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter. After three days of no claim on the dog, Waskiewicz returned to the shelter and adopted the homeless pit bull naming him Bo.
Full story

In completely unrelated news, Guillermo del Toro is a giant adorable fanboy.

Dat face. He spent roughly 370USD on figurines of the kaiju he knew and loved while growing up, and that helped inspire him while making Pacific Rim.
Guillermo del Toro in Akihabara
Guillermo del Toro in "Fat Otaku Heaven"

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
That there is the gooniest of happiness.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
This guy's entire photoset of his daughters (and other random places and people from Japan), is just too :3:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyokazu/with/7131290781/

I couldn't really pick just one, but here's a random one...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toyokazu/7131290781/

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have more animal rescue stories with happy endings? I love those.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm going to throw in a song that is... I don't know, lifting my spirits? Astounding me with its beauty? Whatever, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9lYh_uUVs

Manhatta - The Cinematic Orchestra. It's 11 minutes long, and to me feels very powerful.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I think I did a thing you guys might like. I wrote this up for another forum, but I figured it might as well go here.

quote:

Around 8 or 9ish, I decided to go for a little drive. Just wanted to zone out on the road and let my mind wander; it's something I do from time to time. It's a relaxing thing for me. I don't know why, but it is.

So anyway, I head south because there's nothing out there and I like abandoned roads. About 10 or 15 miles south, on a dark, unlit, abandoned stretch of road running through the woods, I see a dude pullin a little wheeled suitcase, holding his thumb out. I figured, gently caress it, why not. So I stopped and let the dude hop in. I asked him why he was in the middle of nowhere tryin to grab a ride. Well, turns out the guy is a truck diver, as in big rigs. He did his friend a favor by taking his truck and running a few loads for him. Well, turns out his buddy owes a shitload of money. As in, enough money that the truck got repossessed while being refueled in Ocala. Dude had 5 dollars in his pocket, and due to stupid legal reasons, couldn't get the company he was hauling for to get him a bus ticket. So he was stuck there trying to find a way to get to Homestead. For those who don't feel like figuring it out, that's a 300+ mile trip. So he did the only thing he could do, started walking. In Florida. In summer.

gently caress that, I said to myself. So while driving south, we talked about where he needed to get to be okay for the night. I'm not gonna be crazy enough to drive all the way south of Miami, but I can't just leave this guy stuck in the middle of nowhere. Well, turns out he has a friend that lives in Naples, and there's a big trucker rest stop in Punta Gorda that has like showers and food and a place to crash and poo poo, plus he might even be able to hitch a ride with a trucker heading that way. Worst case, he spends the night at the stop until his friend gets there the next morning. So off we set. We stopped for some gas, and I bought a few bottles of Gatorade for him (seriously, walking in Florida in summer. Jesus gently caress that's not cool) and got him down to the rest stop. In the end, I drove him about 100 miles or so. Dude seemed super thankful, which was nice.

Too many people are willing to ignore other peoples problems. gently caress that, man.

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have more animal rescue stories with happy endings? I love those.

:stare: I don't think we have the same idea of what a happy ending is at least I hope we don't:ohdear:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I think I did a thing you guys might like. I wrote this up for another forum, but I figured it might as well go here.

I grew up in south Florida, lived on both coasts. I spent about eight years in Port Charlotte. I also have a Florida travel story, although I'm not sure if it's "feel good" as much as "slightly creepy." It has a happy ending, though, from my point of view.

When I was very young, my father was a pool contractor and owned two HUGE flatbed trucks. Like, bigger than standard flatbed tow trucks. We're crossing Alligator Alley late one night way back before the fences, back before it was part of 75, back when it was two lanes through swamp. I don't know if you remember those days, but Alligator Alley was desolate back then. Anyway, it's the middle of the night, we're in the middle of nowhere, and our giant truck breaks down. We're stuck in the heart of the swamp, smack between the two coasts. My father pops the hood and has a look, turns out the fan belt snapped. I don't think driving without the belt was an option on that enormous truck in south Florida heat. As I remember it, the truck wouldn't even run without the belt. Anyway, we're on a section of the Alley where the weeds and cattails push right up to the road. There's no traffic, no people, nothing. Cell phones essentially didn't exist. We were stuck.

We hear some noise in the reeds and bush, like a big animal crashing around in there. Like something in a movie, we start to see the tops of some stalks waving, the noise gets louder, the bushes are moving more and more, and, all of a sudden, a hand pops out, pushes apart the plants, and out comes this old black guy in boots, jeans, and long sleeves. For people who don't know Alligator Alley, it's nearly a hundred miles of (back then) two-lane blacktop with no towns, no rest stops, no exits, no nothing. The old man said he was out there fishing, but he didn't have fishing gear in his hands, there was no vehicle of any kind visible, and it was something like two in the morning in the middle of the swamp. The whole situation was bizarre. The average number of people you would expect to find hoofing it through the middle of the Everglades on any given night is zero. The dude says he might have something that would help, and produces a length of rope. My father ties it around the pulleys, we say thanks, the old man disappears back into the swamp, and we take off. We drive the rest of the way across the alley, and, as we are pulling into our driveway at home, there's a thump and a screech and the rope gives.

So, we got home OK, which was feel-good, but the entire event stands as one of the weirdest I've ever been involved in.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
On how I got Pod.

I was looking for a second cat to hang out with Shinobi. Shinobi would talk and cry and talk and talk and shred things until I got home, even with scratching posts, toys, etc. When I got home, I almost got tripped because I'd have a magnetic torti on my leg in seconds. To this day, I'm still amazed I didn't break my neck. I love my 'nobi and figured she needed company. So, I let my friends know and kept an eye out at Petsmart. They had mostly much younger kittens and my schedule wouldn't let me give a young kitten the attention they needed (Shinobi was about a year old).

We tried a foster cat, who turned out to be the meanest cat I ever did meet. She got me so badly I needed stitches and if I allowed them even a paw's width of space, she'd go after Shinobi. She even ignored the yelps of pain from Shinobi. So I took Callie back to her foster mom, who understood. I donated the cat's fee back to them, too.

So, I went back to searching while I worked. And then one evening, my neighbors show up at my doorstep with this tiny, gimpy legged little black and white kitten with a dot on her tummy. They found her, apparently, after someone sicced his dog on her*. And they knew I was looking for a second cat. Her leg looked pretty bad. There was an open wound, too. I was honestly pretty skeptical about her chances, given how thin she was, the injury, etc. So I called Banfield, took Tripod to the bedroom and set up an Emergency 2nd Cat Station. She seemed so much smaller than Shinobi (And it turned out she was only about 6 months younger). She was the cuddliest danged thing I ever met. She'd dangle around my neck like a boa if I laid down. She sat in my lap. She sat on my feet if I stood. She followed me around, slept against me and was a general cuddlebug.

I took her to the vet at Banfield, and sadly the awesome cat guy wasn't there. Instead, I got Captain Cat Hater who took my 287 bucks to have her vet tech look at the cat, get her tests done, dose her with antibiotics, shots, etc. She told me to come back in a week if my cat wasn't dead and refused to look at her leg. I couldn't afford that again, since I had *just* graduated and already blown most of my graduation money on funding Pod so far. Yeah. The bright-eyed, trying to nibble on and escape from her vet tech by walking around cat. As it turns out, she had a dislocated hip. Her leg is still more weight than actually in use, but the new, awesome vet simply told me to let it be unless she was in pain.

Disheartened, I took her home. And we waited a week. She plumped up on Blue Buffalo and is still spoiled rotten to date about 4 years later. People love to poke the dot on her tummy. I'm glad I didn't give up on her.

*This neighbor was later evicted for having the cops called on him, cruelty to animals and starting a knife fight. He was a real winner.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I misread that as 'How I got an iPod' and got really confused there. :v:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yeah, her full name is Tripod. It's a bit cliche, but Pod is just so fun to say.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Rescue cats are always the best cats. Glad she found a great family.

This story is unfortunately not pet related, but is pretty cute non-the-less. About 3 years ago I was doing my first costume while attending Gencon (a gaming convention in Indianapolis). I was dressed as Roxas from Kingdom Hearts (wearing the Organization XIII cloak and a pretty decent keyblade that I had acquired a year earlier. I was feeling pretty nervous as I had not dressed up for anything outside of Halloween and I thought my costume looked pretty basic compared to the really great costumes next to me). Fast forward to the costume parade, I'm marching in the parade with the other cosplayers when I noticed there was a kid, probably about 10, keeping in perfect step with me. He was dressed as Black Lantern Superman but I also noticed he was carrying a keyblade as well.
As we walked on he looked up at me at asked "Hey, do you mind if I walk next to you in the parade?" I smiled and said "Sure, keyblade wielders need to stick together, right?" He immediately perked up and started asking me what I knew about Kingdom Hearts and I happily talked with him for next 10 minutes as parade continued down the convention hall. As we rounded the corner and began the final loop of the walk, I asked him "How did Black Lantern Superman come across a keyblade?" He looked around sheepishly for a second seeing if anybody else was listening and then turned back to me:

"Well I lost my BL ring so I though I'd be Black Lantern Sora. You don't think that's stupid, do you?"

"Dude, that's great and creative. You should be proud of yourself."

His face lit up and he thanked me as we reached the end of the parade and ran to his parents. He pointed towards me and they all waved before walking into the convention hall for the costume contest. It gave me a great feeling for the rest of the weekend knowing I had help that kid have a great day.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

I misread that as 'How I got an iPod' and got really confused there. :v:

Day I got cookie :3:.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, her full name is Tripod. It's a bit cliche, but Pod is just so fun to say.

Aw man. That's what I call my housemate's 3 legged cat. His 'real' name is Salem, but that's boring. I call him Tripod, my buddy calls him Tricycle, etc. He's adorable but he's an outdoor cat(I live in a pretty safe area, there's no big predators around to mess with him) so I don't really get to play with him unless I'm leaving or coming home.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Name 'em Yardstick
got three feet :xd:

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Name 'em Yardstick

OH! Oh I don't want to like you but I do. :3

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Toddler and dog play the blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOHkOr_c-iM

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Panda mama and panda cub reunited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInbWZ66cxQ

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

HEGEL CURES THESES posted:

Name 'em Yardstick

I have been having a really lovely week and that awful pun genuinely cheered me up. Thanks. :unsmith:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
Found this on a friend's tumblr, titled: "A local humane society posts pictures of new adoptions."

This one makes me go :3:. Seriously. New forever friends.

Edited to add clarity.

CatStacking has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Aug 15, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

cuntvalet posted:

A local humane society posts pictures of new adoptions. This one makes me go :3:.

It's not a competition, you don't need to claim that it's your humane society. It doesn't have to be your pics, just cute pics. But thank you for the cute pic. :h:

Like this! I don't know this puppy, but he's flippin' adorable. :3:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Teddybear posted:

It's not a competition, you don't need to claim that it's your humane society. It doesn't have to be your pics, just cute pics. But thank you for the cute pic. :h:

Like this! I don't know this puppy, but he's flippin' adorable. :3:

I didn't mean to claim its my humane society (I've worked at the one in my city...they don't do heart warming things like that) I found the picture on a tumblr and just posted the text it came with (added the 'It makes me go :3:' because it really does) so that it had some context. Though "sweet old man holding his new best friend for life" in an of itself is cute, adorable and uplifting of its own.

Sorry if the text was unclear I can definitely see where it was confusing. I edited it for clarity.

Also I kinda wish I knew which SPCA it was taken at to see if they have more just adopted pictures. :kimchi:

CatStacking has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Aug 15, 2013

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Corgi will not be denied belly rubs :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQwirnKysXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm so far from anything approaching an expert on figure skating, but god drat if this clip doesn't bring (happy) tears to my eyes every single time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazOhkRuySI

• Locked thread