Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The DM would have to be pretty lenient to allow it, though, it really doesn't fit into the system of the world. Resurrecting people works because you can draw their soul back, but the rules state that Malack's vampire self is totally and utterly obliterated. There's nothing to pull back into existence.

There's a canon Resurrect Outsider spell, and outsider souls collapse into plane-stuff upon their deaths, so it could potentially exist. It won't, because that would ruin the drama, but it isn't too much of a stretch rules-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

The DM would have to be pretty lenient to allow it, though, it really doesn't fit into the system of the world. Resurrecting people works because you can draw their soul back, but the rules state that Malack's vampire self is totally and utterly obliterated. There's nothing to pull back into existence.

That's why any such spell would have to be on par with a wish.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Either Wish or Miracle would probably work, though. Wouldn't shock me for Tarquin to have a Ring of Wishes saved for this kind of emergency. Though it also wouldn't shock me for Rich to leave Malack dead for story purposes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Someone did post on the GitP forums to ask if Malack was really dead or that was just his gaseous form, and Rich responded "Nope, Malack is dead and gone forever."

So whether the rules allow for his ressurection, the plot does not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I mean, yeah, Malack should be dead dead unless there's some really compelling narrative reason for him not to be. It is theoretically possible to revive him full vampire with extremely powerful magic, but why would he even bother? It's clear he already has another even more powerful divine caster buddy anyway.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

greatn posted:

It's clear he already has another even more powerful divine caster buddy anyway.

What? Who? I assumed the one casting Gate was a wizard of some variety.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

There's a canon Resurrect Outsider spell, and outsider souls collapse into plane-stuff upon their deaths, so it could potentially exist. It won't, because that would ruin the drama, but it isn't too much of a stretch rules-wise.

It should be noted that the even-more-canon True Resurrection can also resurrect outsiders and elementals, while undead and constructs remain strictly unraisable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I know that Malack's not coming back but if someone were to resurrect his mortal soul, would he have any knowledge of the centuries of his post-undead lifetime spent as a vampire?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

LightWarden posted:

The spell Tarkin's caster friend used was probably either Gate or Teleportation Circle, both of which are 9th level wizard spells. And there's still Miron, Tarkin's friend with the scarf covering his face, who might be a caster as well. Tarkin still has some powerful friends in the wings.

Neither of those spells work like what is shown in the comic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RickoniX posted:

Neither of those spells work like what is shown in the comic

d20srd posted:

Gate
Conjuration (Creation or Calling)
Level: Cleric 9, Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Components: V, S, XP; see text
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: See text
Duration: Instantaneous or concentration (up to 1 round/level); see text
Spell Resistance: No
Casting a gate spell has two effects. First, it creates an interdimensional connection between your plane of existence and a plane you specify, allowing travel between those two planes in either direction.

Second, you may then call a particular individual or kind of being through the gate.

The gate itself is a circular hoop or disk from 5 to 20 feet in diameter (caster's choice), oriented in the direction you desire when it comes into existence (typically vertical and facing you). It is a two-dimensional window looking into the plane you specified when casting the spell, and anyone or anything that moves through is shunted instantly to the other side.

A gate has a front and a back. Creatures moving through the gate from the front are transported to the other plane; creatures moving through it from the back are not.

Planar Travel: As a mode of planar travel, a gate spell functions much like a plane shift spell, except that the gate opens precisely at the point you desire (a creation effect). Deities and other beings who rule a planar realm can prevent a gate from opening in their presence or personal demesnes if they so desire. Travelers need not join hands with you-anyone who chooses to step through the portal is transported. A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel.

You may hold the gate open only for a brief time (no more than 1 round per caster level), and you must concentrate on doing so, or else the interplanar connection is severed.

I cut out the part about calling specific creatures, but Gate does not forbid opening a portal on the same plane as the one you cast it on. The portal in the comic is a tad too wide, but not if it's Widened, which would make it an Epic spell.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Who What Now posted:

I cut out the part about calling specific creatures, but Gate does not forbid opening a portal on the same plane as the one you cast it on. The portal in the comic is a tad too wide, but not if it's Widened, which would make it an Epic spell.

Well..

quote:

A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

^^^^ :argh:

According to that, you can't open a gate between two points on the same plane. So either Tarquin had miss Ioun Stones take them on a detour to the astral plane, or it's a different spell.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Rich just ignored that bit for the sake of storytelling. There's no obvious reason for why the spell wouldn't work for traveling within a plane, other than the rules saying it doesn't as an afterthought, and it doesn't even make a difference for what can be accomplished with the spell since the same result could already be achieved by just using another plane as a mid-point.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

It might not be Gate that's being cast after all. It could be a custom spell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

since the same result could already be achieved by just using another plane as a mid-point.

Maybe she has a custom version that automatically bounces the gate off the Xen borderworld and back.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MikeJF posted:

Maybe she has a custom version that automatically bounces the gate off the Xen borderworld and back.

G-Demon posted:

The right elf in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. or Ms. Veeman. Wake up...and smell the dragon ashes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Well poo poo, I missed that line. Besides, looking at the comic again, there's two rows of four people, with what seems like a two person gap between them, and enough space on either side for a row of sauropod-mounted Calvary. That's 20' for each colum of Infantry, a 10' gap, and at least 5' on either side, more likely 10'. So that portal is 60'-70' wide, and I don't know any teleportation spells that big that aren't epic.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

You can fix it be making it:

The right elf in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. or Ms. V-man. Wake up...and smell the guano.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Midniter posted:

I know that Malack's not coming back but if someone were to resurrect his mortal soul, would he have any knowledge of the centuries of his post-undead lifetime spent as a vampire?

Isn't one of the caveat of vampirism that the soul is annihilated upon infection? That always seemed rather harsh to me for being the victim in an action.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Isn't one of the caveat of vampirism that the soul is annihilated upon infection? That always seemed rather harsh to me for being the victim in an action.

Not in DnD. You can resurrect a destroyed vampire back to their previous life.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

PFlats posted:

Why wouldn't Elan want them? Just his personality?

I forgot that bards cast arcane spells in 3e. Although I do think the poster below you has a plausible reason.

CapnAndy posted:

I would be deeply shocked if it's not the very first thing to come up as soon as they stop being interrupted by a constant chain of life-threatening surprises.

They've had a couple of big talky scenes already, though, as breathers in between the life-threatening surprises. First when Belkar comes back and reports that Durkon is now a vampire; and second after they snap out of the illusion, and talk through what they experienced. And both of those would be prime moments to worry about V - if a two-on-one fight can end so poorly for Durkon, or the whole party can fall prey to an illusion, one character all alone would be even more vulnerable. (And illusion resistance is based on Will saves in 3e, right? V obviously has an atrocious Wisdom, so they should be even more worried.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't, but Will IS her strongest save just for being a Wizard. Surely her Fort save is abysmal for her level, and she seems no great shakes at Reflex either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I forgot that bards cast arcane spells in 3e.

Let's not forget a commonly overlooked strongpoint of Bards, but they are the ONLY core arcane spellcaster that has any way of healing!

(Bards are an extremely underrated class in all editions)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Let's not forget a commonly overlooked strongpoint of Bards, but they are the ONLY core arcane spellcaster that has any way of healing!

(Bards are an extremely underrated class in all editions)

Mostly because while they are versatile, there's almost nothing they can do that some other class can't do better. It's the curse of the Jack of All Trades in a game that rewards...even demands...specialization.

It's the same problem with multi-classing. A little of a lot of things is almost never better than a lot of one thing, especially the way D&D is written.

Which is why Nale and Elan are pretty well matched. And why Rich had to invent a goofy prestige class just for Elan to make him effective.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
:siren: Kickstarter update :siren:
The second bakers-only PDF story is available to bakers now. It's Haleo & Julelan.

Also, there is a cool miniature of Xykon flying a zombie dragon available. It's a limited run. And kinda big, for a miniature.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Mostly because while they are versatile, there's almost nothing they can do that some other class can't do better. It's the curse of the Jack of All Trades in a game that rewards...even demands...specialization.

It's the same problem with multi-classing. A little of a lot of things is almost never better than a lot of one thing, especially the way D&D is written.

Which is why Nale and Elan are pretty well matched. And why Rich had to invent a goofy prestige class just for Elan to make him effective.

Eh, bards are pretty solid, actually. They've got the skill versatility of rogues, possibly the best utility spell list in core, bardic music, and, thanks to buff spells and bardic music, are nearly as good as a unoptimized fighter in combat. They really only suffer from jack-of-all-trades syndrome in comparison with full casters (and of course, there is a prestige class that turns bards into full casters as well), but then again, everything gets beaten out by full casters.

The one level of dashing swordsman that Elan picked up (gives Charisma to attack rolls) mimics an existing feat; it isn't required to make Elan useful. Elan's biggest problem is forgetting about all the various capabilities he has.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Is anyone else having problems with the password for the zip file?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

RickoniX posted:

Yes, I copied it out of the e-mail and I'm having no luck.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RickoniX posted:

He sent the wrong password first. Look in your inbox, you should have received a new update with the correct password this time.

Edit: Man, I wish Les Stickerables was an actual story.

vvvvvvvv It's funny, but rather weak. Not that I was expecting much from a parody. It's constrained by the original plot. I think it mostly served to let Burlew get out of his system all the D&D mechanisms-based jokes that he cannot use in the comic anymore.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 15, 2013

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
This bonus story was not very good :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RickoniX posted:

This bonus story was not very good :(

It was alright. The best part was Nale's costume at the masquerade.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ConfusedUs posted:

I liked the Empress of Blood showing up as the princess myself.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a few good costumes. So far I've noticed Xykon as Skeletor and V disguised as...well, V.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Play that funky music, wight boys....

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Now I wish I had given Rich some of my hard earned monies :(

Any word on if these PDFs will ever be released in publicly purchasable form? I forget if they were "exclusive to the Kickstarter and never getting out there ever" or not.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nystral posted:

Any word on if these PDFs will ever be released in publicly purchasable form? I forget if they were "exclusive to the Kickstarter and never getting out there ever" or not.

I'd be surprised if they weren't in one of the future books.

In fact this one is written with the perfect way to insert it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nystral posted:

Rich has said he'll probably release them at some point, but not until a while after the last one is finished.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Technogeek posted:

There's a few good costumes. So far I've noticed Xykon as Skeletor and V disguised as...well, V.

Thog in his leprechaun outfit (again).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it mostly served to let Burlew get out of his system all the D&D mechanisms-based jokes that he cannot use in the comic anymore.

Also, every Shakespeare-based pun he's ever thought of. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, if you like the Bard you'll like this. If not...I can see the humor falling flat.