Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

I love when people make punch. Makes me so proud.

We made your punch last weekend and it was thoroughly enjoyed. Have you ever tried substituting soda water in for the water? I was thinking adding a little bit of fizziness might be pleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
I had one of the best flips I've ever had last night at Eastern Standard in Boston and found the recipe online.

It uses a whole egg as opposed to just the white, is there anything special I need to do to ensure I don't die from salmonella?

ES Flip
Whole Egg
2 oz. Beefeater Gin
1/2 oz. Almond Syrup
Barspoon Sugar
Nutmeg

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

cbirdsong posted:

We made your punch last weekend and it was thoroughly enjoyed. Have you ever tried substituting soda water in for the water? I was thinking adding a little bit of fizziness might be pleasant.

You made my eponymous punch? It's a good one, right? And yeah, I could see it taking the soda water treatment well, although generally I don't fizz up brown punches, though I'm not sure why.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I picked up a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur, and I'm thinking of maybe making a tom collins varient with it. good call?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

So I picked up a bottle of Tanqueray Rangpur, and I'm thinking of maybe making a tom collins varient with it. good call?

Totally. Layback on the sugar, rangpur limes are naturally sweet.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I'm getting into tequila for the past month, loving it in the summer. Besides a tequila sunrise and margarita, what else would be good? I came across two recipes, one recommends 1 and 1/2 parts tequila to 1/2 part Grand Mariner, and another that is just tequila, lime juice and agave syrup.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Thanks to this thread, I decided to restock my bar with gin and pick up a few other bottles to make some stuff that sounded interesting.

Aviation:

Ramos Gin Fizz:

The fizz was so delicious. I wish it wasn't so much work to make, or I'd drink one every single night.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The Ramos is a little hard to make but well worth it. It's just getting things in the right order and a lot of shaking once you assemble the ingredients.

I have started putting a drop of the orange flower water into my regular gin fizzes to justify its existence with good results.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 9, 2013

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
To my great shame, I've never mixed large quantities of booze before. Is it preferable to mix as close to consumption time as possible, or can it be mixed 24 hours in advance without problems?

If it matters, the mixture is Kraken and pineapple juice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

To my great shame, I've never mixed large quantities of booze before. Is it preferable to mix as close to consumption time as possible, or can it be mixed 24 hours in advance without problems?

If it matters, the mixture is Kraken and pineapple juice.

Pineapple juice is organic, and it degrades with time. I assume you're talking about canned stuff, which has a pretty short shelf life once opened. I'd advise to put it together as close to serving it as you feasibly can: 12 hours is better than 24. And put some bitters in there, goddamn.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I know this is probably bush league compared to the cocktails most people are drinking, but I just made my first Manhattan. Use 2 parts Jim Beam Black, 1 part Sweet Vermouth, and 2 dashes angostura bitters.

First, it tastes fantastic. Very easy to sip, it still has enough heat going down to remind me I'm drinking bourbon, it was easy to make. I like it.

The thing is though, the more I sip this, the more I think it might be a touch *too* sweet. I've got some rum I want to try this with tomorrow, would I be better served doing a 3:2 ration or even a 3:1 ratio of rum to vermouth? Would it be blasphemy to use dry vermouth in a Manhattan?

I'd like to thank this thread for expanding my horizons when it comes to cocktails. I used to prefer all my liquor neat and hated doing anything that resembled measuring when it came to booze. Now I've started making my own sour mix, simple syrup, etc. I'm working on building my own liquor cabinet and stocking it too.

So basically thank you thread for fostering my alcoholic tendencies.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Dry vermouth is fine in a Manhattan; try making a "perfect", half dry, half sweet. Also, next time you have money for whisky, try a rye, I like it a lot better than bourbon in Manhattans as it tends to be drier and have a nice peppery kick.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Just made a thing I'm pretty proud of. It may already be a thing, but I was just playing around with ingredients I had around and put it together.

2 oz Cucumber infused vodka
.75 oz ginger simple syrup
.75 oz lemon juice
7-10 mint leaves

Muddle the mint and syrup, add the rest, shake w/ ice, double strain, highball with fresh ice, top with soda, garnish with cucumber slice. Tastes like a cucumber mojito.

tynam
May 14, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

The thing is though, the more I sip this, the more I think it might be a touch *too* sweet. I've got some rum I want to try this with tomorrow, would I be better served doing a 3:2 ration or even a 3:1 ratio of rum to vermouth? Would it be blasphemy to use dry vermouth in a Manhattan?

As PatMarshall mentioned, definitely swap the bourbon for a rye when you can - it'll make a huge difference. Also, be sure to stir the cocktail enough to get a decent amount of water melted in if you're serving it up - it'll soften the drink, bring out more aroma and kill the sweetness too.

You can also try another brand of Vermouth - the brands make a pretty big difference in flavor.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I think that using a high proof rye provides a much a better balance to the sweetness of the vermouth than bourbon does. Try Rittenhouse bonded with Carpano Antica and I'm willing to bet that you will never want to make a Manhattan any other way.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I prefer Dolin Rouge for a Manhattan, myself.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Dolin rules; I love the dry in martinis. I love vermouths like Vya and Carpano, but they're nicer on ice with a twist of orange or lemon than mixed.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Just because I'm stuck in soul-eroding corporate housing for 3 weeks doesn't mean that I'll compromise on a Manhattan.

Microwaveable food from Trader Joe's, that's alright though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

PatMarshall posted:

Dolin rules; I love the dry in martinis. I love vermouths like Vya and Carpano, but they're nicer on ice with a twist of orange or lemon than mixed.

Frankly I prefer Vya Extra Dry for my French vermouth and Dolin Rouge for Italian, but honestly Carpano is so good that I almost consider it cheating in a new cocktail. It's like, "gently caress I've got a basic concept but it's not quite tying together. gently caress it let's use some Carpano." And it almost always works.

On another note, I had a gin and tonic for the first time in probably years the other night and I had honestly forgotten that they were so delicious. It's almost annoying how good a gin and tonic is, considering it's one of the most elementally simple cocktails possible.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Cocktail update: So far I've had Old Fashioned's and Manhattans with scotch, bourbon and rum, and it seems the rum is my favorite for all three. I'm not surprised it beat the bourbon since to be honest Jim Beam black is a good mixing bourbon, but I don't think it stands up to well when it's showcased so prominently in the mix. The rum is a good rum, El Dorado 12 year. What's surprising to me is that the scotch doesn't seem to be doing as well as the rum. It's good scotch too, Glennfidich 15 year. I like it better than the bourbon, but goddamn this rum. This loving rum. It's just doing so drat well.

I'm going to try both cocktails with Rittenhouse Rye and tequila when I get paid this week.

Now, I have a question. I literally have no bar tools. Not even a shaker or jiggers to measure. I've just been measuring with my measuring cooks and measuring spoons and stirring everything together in a glass. And glass is being generous, sometimes it's a plastic cup. Where the hell do I start? Is there a good cocktail kit in a box that will get me started? It's my birthday next month and I always say to just give me cash, I think people would be shocked if I actually had a decent gift to ask for for a change. Glassware I've got covered, I'm going to raid the local Goodwill's for glassware. And my wife is getting me a monogrammed glencairn glass and flask for my birthday. My local Marshall's has some fancy big rear end ice cube trays on sale, I'll go pick those up since I know my ice cubes blow.

Then there is the liquor itself. I used to just buy a bottle, drink till it was gone then get something else. I'm trying to plan a coherent and decent liquor cabinet. Again, where the hell do I start?

At the moment I have the Glennifidich 15 year old scotch, El Dorado 12 year old rum, Jim Beam Black, Gordons Gin, a bottle of Vermouth and two bottles of bitters. This week I'm going to get the Rittenhouse Rye a bottle of reposado tequila when I get paid. Where do I go next? I'm a father of three, soon to be four so the liquor will be for my own enjoyment, not for massive parties. I'm interested in learning how to make "classic" cocktails, mainly things that are five ingredients or less for now. Not a big fan of ultra sweet drinks, but to be honest I've only had lovely bar versions of alot of drinks so I'm open to suggestions here. My budget here is between 30-40 a week or else I think my wife's head would explode.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any cocktails that use coriander/cilantro? I really love that herb. Would be nice if it could be whisk(e)y based so I don't have to buy more alcohol.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any cocktails that use coriander/cilantro? I really love that herb. Would be nice if it could be whisk(e)y based so I don't have to buy more alcohol.

The obvious companion for cilantro would be tequila, but if you really want to go with whiskey try a julep.
The flavors and oils are concentrated differently than mint, so you will have to experiment with ratios, but maybe start with:

A wad of cilantro, say maybe enough to loosely fill the bottom quarter of a rocks glass.
A tablespoon of simple syrup.*
Muddle it at the bottom of the glass.
Fill the glass with crushed ice.
Drizzle several ounces of whiskey over the ice until it's full.
* you could just use a sugar cube or some fine sugar and a splash of water -honey even, though that will change the flavor.

I think a mojito with cucumber and cilantro would be pretty great too. That's a rum drink. Google it and then substitute for the mint and add some thin cucumber slices.

I'm having a hard time picturing any whiskey going well with cilantro, other than maybe a blended canadian. The bright flavor really should go with something light like rum or gin.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

rxcowboy posted:

Now, I have a question. I literally have no bar tools. Not even a shaker or jiggers to measure. I've just been measuring with my measuring cooks and measuring spoons and stirring everything together in a glass. And glass is being generous, sometimes it's a plastic cup. Where the hell do I start?

My advice is to start simple and go from there. Pick one drink you want to make, get everything you need to make it properly.

It seems like you are already making Manhattans at home, so I think it's a good place to start:

First, the bottles. You need a bottle of rye, sweet vermouth, and Angostura bitters.

Now you need the tools to mix it. Get a jigger to measure. The one you get will be mostly personal preference, I use this. Something to pour and mix the ingredients in: You can live your whole life stirring all your drinks in a plain pint glass and be just fine. You can get fancy later if you like. You need a proper bar spoon to stir it. Get a Julep strainer to strain stirred drinks.

Now you need a glass to serve it in. 'Martini' style cocktail glasses are usually used for a Manhattan, and if you like those, then get some. Personally I would rather someone have their first batch of glassware be a set of coupes, I think you'll get way more use out of them, but get what you like.

This drink gets served up, so you don't need to worry about fancy pants ice, just some cubes from the freezer to stir it with. It gets a cherry garnish. Unless you want to buy some good ones or brandy your own, I think no garnish is better than the neon cherries.

If you have a restaurant supply store near you, this should be your first stop. If not, stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond usually have a decent bar tools section to get you started. Sites like The Boston Shaker are a good resource too.

Once you are making proper Manhattans, pick another drink and start the process over again, and again...etc.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I drew up a post a while back to guide people who were trying to develop their liquor cabinet. You might find it useful.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

I prefer Dolin Rouge for a Manhattan, myself.

Man after my own heart here. Speaking of Carpano though, are there any "reverse"/"inverted" cocktails akin to the Chrysanthemum using sweet vermouth? I feel like Carpano would be delicious for something like that. I guess a 1:1 Martinez comes pretty close, but does anyone have any other experience?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I'll echo Klauser's advice to build things out one drink at a time, but if you do end up picking up some tequila, I suggest a blanco. I enjoy añejos and reposados for sipping, but blancos are great for mixing. And sipping, for that matter.

A bartender friend told me about an industry event he attended with a distiller. According to him, the best batches as they came out of the still became blancos. If the batch had small problems, it got some time in the barrel to soften the edges and get covered up a bit, so that's your reposado. If the batch had more serious problems, well, that's your añejo.

Good blancos are the best buys at the store IMO, because the agave really stands out, is of the highest quality, and it's the cheapest expression! (Use the extra money to buy good tequila.)

For the same reason, avoid tequilas that trade on how many times they distill or stuff like that. Who wants to buy agave vodka? Patrón Silver is the worst offender in this regard, IMO. (The same bartender friend is on a jihad against Patrón, on the basis that they are horrible people who make horrible liquor. On Silver, I must agree.) My personal fave right now is Siembra Azul; I'm sure there is no shortage of opinions on others in this thread.

tynam
May 14, 2007

Kenning posted:

On another note, I had a gin and tonic for the first time in probably years the other night and I had honestly forgotten that they were so delicious. It's almost annoying how good a gin and tonic is, considering it's one of the most elementally simple cocktails possible.

Gin & tonic is what got me loving cocktails actually. They didn't quite taste right once I started making them at home until I realized that the type of gin or the tonic used made such a large difference. Once I got familiar with them I moved on to other drinks, thinking I had it figured out. Then I visited Bar Anthem in Ginza, Tokyo (unbelievably good) which was my epiphany on the g&t. I'm now back to making gin & tonics, trying to figure out just how they made it so drat good.

rxcowboy posted:

Now, I have a question. I literally have no bar tools. Not even a shaker or jiggers to measure. I've just been measuring with my measuring cooks and measuring spoons and stirring everything together in a glass. And glass is being generous, sometimes it's a plastic cup. Where the hell do I start? Is there a good cocktail kit in a box that will get me started? It's my birthday next month and I always say to just give me cash, I think people would be shocked if I actually had a decent gift to ask for for a change. Glassware I've got covered, I'm going to raid the local Goodwill's for glassware. And my wife is getting me a monogrammed glencairn glass and flask for my birthday. My local Marshall's has some fancy big rear end ice cube trays on sale, I'll go pick those up since I know my ice cubes blow.

To add on to what Klauser wrote, it's better to first realize why you need the tools before actually just going out and buying random stuff. A good thick glass for mixing is great for maintaining a consistent temperature as you mix, and a long bar spoon makes it easier to stir and do spot-measurements.

I recommend picking up a mixing tin as well - even though the "normal" way of making Manhattan's is to stir, shaking them can bring out an interesting new texture and look to the drink, as well as any other traditionally stirred drink. It's a good way to see what the difference is between a shaken drink and a stirred drink. Your option will primarily be either a Boston Shaker or a Cobbler Shaker - they both have their pros and cons so you can't really go wrong with either. I prefer Boston Shakers as they're easier to clean, I can make more drinks at once and don't always need a clean strainer when I need to pour.

Finally, ice - and consequently water. Every time you mix a drink, you're diluting it with water as well. Practice it by either just stirring water with your ice, or after you make a drink pour the drink back into a measuring cup to see how much water the mixing added. My rule of thumb is diluting a drink by 1/4~1/5, but it's definitely preferential. You'll ultimately consume the ice you use, so try not to use weeks old tap water ice that's sitting open next to the frozen fish.

Sorry if I've reiterated what you already know. I just have too much fun talking about cocktails.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

pgroce posted:

I'll echo Klauser's advice to build things out one drink at a time, but if you do end up picking up some tequila, I suggest a blanco. I enjoy añejos and reposados for sipping, but blancos are great for mixing. And sipping, for that matter.

A bartender friend told me about an industry event he attended with a distiller. According to him, the best batches as they came out of the still became blancos. If the batch had small problems, it got some time in the barrel to soften the edges and get covered up a bit, so that's your reposado. If the batch had more serious problems, well, that's your añejo.

Good blancos are the best buys at the store IMO, because the agave really stands out, is of the highest quality, and it's the cheapest expression! (Use the extra money to buy good tequila.)

For the same reason, avoid tequilas that trade on how many times they distill or stuff like that. Who wants to buy agave vodka? Patrón Silver is the worst offender in this regard, IMO. (The same bartender friend is on a jihad against Patrón, on the basis that they are horrible people who make horrible liquor. On Silver, I must agree.) My personal fave right now is Siembra Azul; I'm sure there is no shortage of opinions on others in this thread.

Not to question your friend, but the logistics that go into the barrel aging of a proper anejo would seem to be wasted on trying to salvage crap. I've had some good resposados now, I really wouldn't peg them as inferior to blancos. I would say you get more of a truer agave taste from blancos.

And Patron isn't even Patron anymore, it's not the same product.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Very Strange Things posted:

I think a mojito with cucumber and cilantro would be pretty great too.

I just made this and it is absolutely delicious. Is there a name for this?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Turista Smash - 1oz tequila, 1.5oz dry vermouth, .75oz lemon juice, .5oz simple syrup, cucumber, cilantro. Muddle/shake/crushed ice/DOF

That's all I've got. I can't imagine cilantro and whiskey going well together.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I've been asked to make this cookies and cream martini. I don't mind buying chocolate liqueur but I'd rather not buy vanilla vodka and marshmallow vodka. Are there any other alternative "cookies and cream" drinks that just uses mostly normal ingredients? I'm thinking maybe with Baileys.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 14, 2013

tynam
May 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've been asked to make this cookies and cream martini. I don't mind buying chocolate liqueur but I'd rather not buy vanilla vodka and marshmallow vodka. Are there any other alternative "cookies and cream" drinks that just uses mostly normal ingredients? I'm thinking maybe with Baileys.

If you don't mind picking up creme de cacao...

The ingredients to that drink reminds me of the Alexander - creme de cacao, cream and a liquor of your choice (I prefer brandy). Also good is the Grasshopper - creme de cacao, creme de menthe and cream - you can call this a mint chocolate chip martini haha. There's a bunch of recipes for making these online, so you can play with the ratios until you have something you like. Just be sure to shake it hard.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You can also consider doing something with ice cream and a blender. Then just add some Amaretto to the leftover ice cream for a nice dessert.

That recipe you linked made me guffaw. I just read it as sweet, sweet, and sweet, garnished with sweet and a sweet drizzle. I'm always a fan of expanding the flavor coverage of cocktails but hell, just combining Brand-specific flavored vodka X with Brand-specific flavored vodka Y and calling it a "martini" because it's a short drink served in a martini glass? Doesn't strike me as particularly creative.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 15, 2013

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

zmcnulty posted:

You can also consider doing something with ice cream and a blender. Then just add some Amaretto to the leftover ice cream for a nice dessert.

That recipe you linked made me guffaw. I just read it as sweet, sweet, and sweet, garnished with sweet and a sweet drizzle. I'm always a fan of expanding the flavor coverage of cocktails but hell, just combining Brand-specific flavored vodka X with Brand-specific flavored vodka Y and calling it a "martini" because it's a short drink served in a martini glass? Doesn't strike me as particularly creative.

I would dare say that a drink with flavored vodka in it is about as far from a martini as possible.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

zmcnulty posted:

I just read it as sweet, sweet, and sweet, garnished with sweet and a sweet drizzle.

You forgot one, they stuck the Oreos on with honey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A BEAUTIFUL MESS IS ALL ABOUT CREATING A BEAUTIFUL LIFE. WE SHARE DAILY INSPIRATIONS, DIY PROJECTS AND RECIPES. WE BELIEVE THAT THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE HOMEMADE.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tynam posted:

If you don't mind picking up creme de cacao...

The ingredients to that drink reminds me of the Alexander - creme de cacao, cream and a liquor of your choice (I prefer brandy). Also good is the Grasshopper - creme de cacao, creme de menthe and cream - you can call this a mint chocolate chip martini haha. There's a bunch of recipes for making these online, so you can play with the ratios until you have something you like. Just be sure to shake it hard.

I think the Alexander sounds perfect! The standard liquor seems to be gin and I'm not a huge gin drinker so I'll try it with both rum and vodka first to see if I can get either to work since those are always available in the house. I don't have a shaker though :(

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The Hebug posted:

I would dare say that a drink with flavored vodka in it is about as far from a martini as possible.

Well technically, isn't gin just flavored vodka? :)

(This is not in any way a defense of the above monstrosity.)

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

krysmopompas posted:

Just because I'm stuck in soul-eroding corporate housing for 3 weeks doesn't mean that I'll compromise on a Manhattan.

Microwaveable food from Trader Joe's, that's alright though.

Do you change the ratio of vermouth since you are using Dubonnet? I remember seeing dubonnet manhattans using closer to a 1:1 ration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
We did a well-received house cocktail for our party this past weekend.

3oz Hendricks
Brown sugar strawberry syrup
Thai basil
Ice
Soda

I'm not much of a hard liquor fan, aside from scotch or a good tequila, but we all really liked this one.