Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
There's a new mechanic doing the lanes at the Petersen Classic and a few of them are all but impossible to score on. Wouldn't be surprised if there's not a single 1600 this year. The high in our squad was 1340 and usually we have a few 1400s and maybe a 1500 or two.

I probably would have scored better with a house ball :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Critical posted:

Bowled a tournament on a whim today after I got off work because I was bored.

Won the whole loving thing. $1000 please and thank you. I'm bankrolled for the rest of the year and I can get some shiny new equipment.

Nice. I'm ready for a new ball but I'm not sure what I want yet. What are you thinking about getting?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Started summer doubles league last week, kicked off the night with a 185 average, right where I left off about 2 months ago.

Surprisingly we have 12 teams (with one of them being those invisible vacant bastards), which is a full house for us.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sorry to double-post, but last night was interesting.

I had somewhat tweaked my back in the gym a week ago, so I'd been taking it easy and stretching it a lot. Yesterday felt a lot better, so I went to league without really thinking about it. About 3 frames into the first game I go to pick up my ball and suddenly have an immense shooting pain in my back. Standing up straight and bowling didn't really bother it at all, but bending over was killing me.

I then proceed to go 211-183, and 172-257... I need to bowl injured more often apparently.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
drat, am I the only one bowling this summer?

Pretty bad night up until the end... Came into the night with a 192 average and couldn't hit it all night up until the end when I somehow managed to roll a 274. Pretty stoked about that at least.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Scarf posted:

drat, am I the only one bowling this summer?

I'm struggling to average 170 in a PBA Experience league, but I don't know if that counts as bowling the way I do it

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
I am in a summer league but I'm doing pretty badly honestly. To add insult to injury my buddy got a new ball, new shoes, and a wrist brace thing with his money from the winter league and immediately proceeded to roll like 670-something. The lanes at this new center aren't bone dry at the start of the night at least.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

In a summer league but I was in a car accident last week and injuries are preventing me from bowling at the moment. :( I was 100 yards away from the pro shop where I was going to buy like 5 new pieces too.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well guys, after spending this past season doing gently caress-all in bowling (saving money, going to school, etc), I up and decided to bowl in a tournament this past weekend. Averaged 203 over 8 games on a sport shot and missed the cut by 32 pins. I'm not much on moral victories, but I felt pretty good. I was bowling against some of the best amateurs (and a handful of pros) in the area on a difficult condition after bowling very little in the past year and still nearly made the cut. I have dropped somewhere around 40 lbs since the last time I bowled regularly and I'm sure that is helping me consistently make better shots.

I have to say, I am pretty excited to get back into bowling, at least at tournaments, I'm still not up for bowling leagues again. Anyway, I'm going to practice and hit it hard these next couple of months and I am planning on going to the World Series of Bowling this October. For anyone interested, I set up a gofundme page for it.

http://www.gofundme.com/3mcbfo

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Bell-curve of a night... 148-219, 237-152.

So much for following up that 274 from last week.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Scarf posted:

Bell-curve of a night... 148-219, 237-152.

So much for following up that 274 from last week.

I've missed the last 6 league weeks due to work. Last week I bowled 84 :negative: 198, 212

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Before you feel too bad about that 84, think about this. Tom Daugherty, a touring pro (and later a title winner), bowled a 100 game on television. Plus, he had to pick 2 out of the big 4 in the 10th frame to get 100, so he easily could have been in double digits. It's amazing how quickly your score can drop just from leaving a few splits, mentally checking out on a couple of single pins, etc.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, you have no idea how many times I've been staring at a 63 after the 7th on a tough pattern and had to grind to get in the 120s. Once I left the first five frames open and then sheeted it for a 193 I think.

Back and ribs are feeling better so it's practice night tonight. Hopefully I'm not to terrible and am able to bowl in league Tuesday.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Some friends and I decided to go laser bowling last night, first time I've been in a few months. We get to the alley, I take my bag out of my trunk and open it, only to find that the ball has been split nearly in half by what I can only assume is a stress fracture because of the heat of being left in the trunk while I was visiting my parents in Palm Springs in July.

:saddowns:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Some friends and I decided to go laser bowling last night, first time I've been in a few months. We get to the alley, I take my bag out of my trunk and open it, only to find that the ball has been split nearly in half by what I can only assume is a stress fracture because of the heat of being left in the trunk while I was visiting my parents in Palm Springs in July.

:saddowns:

That sucks man. I've heard similar stories from a few friends who have left their balls in car-trunks during the summer. Apparently reactive resin is really brittle?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You don't want to leave them in the cold either. Basically only leave them in the trunk of your car if you're actively going somewhere to bowl or you live somewhere that the weather never gets above 80 or below 50.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Anything over a certain temp (approx 170') will cause the core and cover to separate, which can cause the cracking. The same thing will happen with sharp changes in temp, so never try to sweat out a ball if it's cold in the winter.

Bowled today with minor soreness so I'm good to go to defend my tournament title Sunday.

In other news I got my grip changed and holy gently caress it's like night and day. I gained about 50% more revs and my axis lowered to create a shitload of sideroll. I never hooked the ball a lot so I'm like 7-10 boards left on every pattern. My Maruader is hooking as much as my Nano used to, and my Nano is hooking out of the house.

For reference, on a burnt house pattern I used to swing my Nano from the 30 board out to the 7 or 8. That is now my shot on a fresh house pattern with the same ball. It's loving insane.

Zwick
Sep 30, 2004
Think.
Have any of you run into serious T-Band issues with the slide knee? I'm being forced to stand up a bit more straight and loft pretty heavily a-la Major Mika to avoid the pain, any suggestions? I was suggested kinesio tape(sp?) but I'm always dubious of that japanese new age crap.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I don't know if any of you are paying attention to the qualifying scores of the US Open, but right now Jason Belmonte is taking the competition and pushing its collective poo poo back in. After 3 rounds (24 games), he has a 381 pin lead. So he could completely sit out one game, second place could bowl a perfect game, and he would still lead by 81 pins. Keep in mind this tournament uses a 100% flat oil condition. Ridiculous, I say.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
226-237, 183-187.

2nd game in the first set we had to stop 3 frames in and come back to a different set of lanes after the 2nd set. The lane started constantly resetting itself and the pin-mechanic wasn't there. So they had to shut it down.

Plus some rear end in a top hat came and took out my high score for the league by 4 drat pins :argh:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Zwick posted:

Have any of you run into serious T-Band issues with the slide knee? I'm being forced to stand up a bit more straight and loft pretty heavily a-la Major Mika to avoid the pain, any suggestions? I was suggested kinesio tape(sp?) but I'm always dubious of that japanese new age crap.

I had this problem for about a year and used one of these. It actually helped quite a bit but be sure to take some ibuprofen after removing the band as the tendon will swell almost immediately. I had almost no pain while bowling however.

Just be aware that it will take forever to fully go away while bowling on it so you might be dealing with pain for almost a year.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Living in the middle of New England is rough for a ten pin bowler. The nearest alley is roughly an hour away, but there are a billion candlepin lanes within 15 miles. I'm a lefty with a crooked ring finger which makes my release on those teeny tiny balls a little wonky, so once I get into a groove I can't seem to stop throwing half-Worcesters.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

Zwick posted:

My slide knee is pretty boinked also.
Stretch first ..lunges are good ,liniment before you get there.
Make sure you're not twisting your foot in your slide ; this adds tons of extra torque and will exacerbate your problem.
Get you medic to write you a scrip for meloxicam (Mobic) . It's a stout anti-inflammitory (Advil ++)
Epsom salts after are good also,cheap and easy.

These should get you a lot of relief .

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone see Belmo get absolutely stunted on?

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Malott stunted on pretty much everyone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Took over the league high score again with a 280 last night. Struck the 1st, left the 6-pin the 2nd for the spare, then closed out. :feelsgood:

Too bad the rest of my games were awful. But I guess if I could roll a 280 every time I sure as hell wouldn't be in that league...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally a consistent night. 213-245, 211-207.

One guy was on track to overtake the high score but he hosed up in the 10th.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

How a proper fitting can improve... well everything.

When I first came back a couple years ago I got fitted with a extremely stretched out grip. This caused me to have to come around the ball at an extreme angle, causing an almost spinner ball rotation. My PAP was about 2" over and almost an inch up, which is extremely short. I was also at about 200 revs, which is way on the low side.

I got my grip reduced by a half inch and my PAP changed to 5 7/16" 3/4" up. To put that in perspective, Pete Weber's PAP is 6" straight across, meaning I'm a half inch off and changed my axis point 3 1/2" inches. My driller said he's never seen a change like that in his life and it's like two different people throwing the ball.

My carry percentage has improved immensely and I very rarely leave a weak 10 anymore. My rev rate is about 350 now, not high but a lot more respectable and allows me to create area a lot easier than I was able to before. I'm actually hypes to start bowling this winter.

I got four pieces drilled today, all brand new releases: Aura Mystic, Meanstreak Beatdown, Marauder Mutiny and a Ringer. All by Brunswick and DV8 which I would have laughed at a year and a half ago.

Bring on the tournaments, I can't loving wait.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Summer league wrapped up last night. My brother and I ended up 3rd overall, not too bad but we definitely could have taken 1st were it not for a few bad weeks. I'm honestly really surprised at the guys who won the whole thing, every time I watched them/bowled against them, they were inconsistent as hell. Ah well.

We also had a 12-person roll off for the unclaimed Clean Sweep pot at $625. Starting at lane 1, everyone bowled, had to get a mark to move on to the next lane. Don't mark, get your poo poo and go. Made it to the last 4 ppl and barely missed picking up a 10-pin. Motherfucker.

Pretty happy with the season though, ended with a 196 average.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
We did a 9 Pin No Tap league this summer, and I think we're all going to be really disappointed when our regular season starts next week.

I'm curious if anyone here bowls with a Borg Implant wrist brace like the Storm Gadget and such? I have been battling tendonitis in my ulnar tendon since I started bowling in a league last year and am hoping that it will help out. Otherwise, does anyone have hints on how to keep myself from over-rotating my hand when I release the ball? Pretty sure that is what is causing my tendonitis issues.

hockeyfrog fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 20, 2013

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Noticed one of my newer bowling balls I purchased a few years back has roughly a quarter size chunk missing out of it. I assume if I take it to a pro shop, they can repair? Is it worth repairing? Rough costs on how much they would charge for it?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It depends how deep/wide and where on the ball it is. If it's not too big and it's in an out of the way spot they should be able to just drill it out a little and fill it with plug. It'll take a few days to finish and probably won't cost you more than $10-$20. If the gouge is nasty enough or in a bad spot though it might not be able to be fixed without changing the layout of the ball.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been rolling 14lbs. for the last 3 seasons and I'm wondering if I'm really missing out by not rolling 15lbs. I'm about to order a new ball and given how loving strong they all are these days, is it really worth it? Or is it more of an issue of keeping your speed consistent?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

That sounds like the same reasoning I used when I went from 16 to 15 back ten years ago or so. Dropping that one pound does make a difference and you can be a lot more consistent through more games.

However...just speaking personally I wouldn't drop down again. Maybe the balls really do hit hard enough these days that a 14 is functionally the same as a 15, but I don't know that I trust it yet. Maybe get a used 15 pound ball and see how it feels before pulling the trigger either way.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

That sounds like the same reasoning I used when I went from 16 to 15 back ten years ago or so. Dropping that one pound does make a difference and you can be a lot more consistent through more games.

However...just speaking personally I wouldn't drop down again. Maybe the balls really do hit hard enough these days that a 14 is functionally the same as a 15, but I don't know that I trust it yet. Maybe get a used 15 pound ball and see how it feels before pulling the trigger either way.

Yeah, good idea.

I'd be looking to size-up to essentially prevent me from muscling my throw. I've been pretty good about it lately, but I know when I get frustrated or lose my focus a bit, I'll lose my nice fluid swing and try to force it. I'm not TOO worried about fatigue; seems like most exercise I do these days focuses on strengthening my back and shoulders anyway. I just hate to switch something up if I don't really need to.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Critical posted:

How a proper fitting can improve... well everything.

No kidding. When I first had my hand measured about 10 years ago, I really stretched my hand across the gauge as opposed to just letting it lay relaxed since I thought that was what I was supposed to do. The pro shop guy didn't notice I was doing that and drilled my ball based on that. I bowled for about 3 months with a 5" span. Hurt my hand and thumb like crazy. I went to a different pro shop and he went from one extreme to the other and now I was using a 4 1/4" span. It felt much better, but it still wasn't right. I was oblivious and just stuck with that for 3 more years before I finally found out what my span should be: 4 9/16". So yeah, never assume your first drill is right.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
My league started tonight,with freshly re done heads . Decent start : 168 224 255 =647 series. I do like the clean look of the ball off my hand :-)

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Our league started last week, and.. don't laugh, with a 114, 93, and a 112, I raised my book average of 104 to a 106. Getting used to throwing the ball so I don't torque my wrist and wearing the Gadget is taking some serious getting used to.

On the bright side, my team is actually in first place right now, so that is a small victory :)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

In two sport leagues this year, starting on WTBA Montreal and WTBA Sydney. I hate Sydney with a fiery passion but hopefully I can tackle it with my new equipment. Starting Tuesday and I'm really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
615 for me 214 201 200 so not bad..

• Locked thread