Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If any of you have played Super Robot Wars Z2, you could tell that Banpresto most likely wanted to incorporate the Gurren Lagann universe into the likes of Xabungle, Overman King Gainer, Big O, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam X in the previous game, especially considering that both Kamina and Simon in Z2 have unique dialog when they support attack and support defend with either Jiron or Elche (Kamina basically refers to the Sandrats as honorary members of Team Dai-Gurren and Jiron and company are all hyped about that). I wonder if they'll ever revisit that theme properly; they kinda shoehorned in that relation in, and I'd like to see that more fleshed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clawshrimpy posted:

Here's the deffierence, Chirico at least felt guilt for what he did.

Kamina was loving PROUD of what he did to Simon, and Simon was equally proud of pushing around a suicidal person.

It's really not hard to understand Clawshrimpy. He is a younger brother to an abusive older brother, hence, anything like Kamina is The Devil because punching your younger brother and putting violence like that in a positive light, which looking at his twitter(which is among the first results for googling "clawshrimpy" so it's not exactly internet detectiving when people are literally saying "google clawshrimpy to see why it's not worth arguing with him") happened a lot to him, probably brings on some big bad trauma triggers for him. I can understand that.

Your posting is still the loving worst, Clawshrimpy. Stop it. If this is some massive amazing troll spread across a dozen websites then congratulations, you've got me, but if it's legit, seek therapy and medication and stop posting here. The more you post the more it looks like you take less issue with a show itself and more with how a show portrays bad poo poo that happened to you personally. It's probably really difficult to admit you need help dealing with traumatic issues but dude, do it. Trust me. I've been there, you sound like you could use some therapy, and talking about anime you don't like on the internet sure as loving hell ain't it.

People should stop arguing with him because he just runs things in circles.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Oblique Angle posted:

Seriously dude why are you even here? I mean, what did you think you would accomplish by coming here and starting this? Ok yes you've given this thread several years of activity in a couple days but really all you're doing is padding ignore lists. Like mine. Bye!

I just want to talk about why I have so few good shows in this genre to look forward to, since most new ones seem to be bad.

SO all I can do is rewatch GGG every 3-4 months and wait for the next Raijin-Oh DVD to come out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

If any of you have played Super Robot Wars Z2, you could tell that Banpresto most likely wanted to incorporate the Gurren Lagann universe into the likes of Xabungle, Overman King Gainer, Big O, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam X in the previous game, especially considering that both Kamina and Simon in Z2 have unique dialog when they support attack and support defend with either Jiron or Elche (Kamina basically refers to the Sandrats as honorary members of Team Dai-Gurren and Jiron and company are all hyped about that). I wonder if they'll ever revisit that theme properly; they kinda shoehorned in that relation in, and I'd like to see that more fleshed out.
They sort of do it again in Operation Extend with the Eldoran kids becoming honorary Gurren Brigade members and looking up to Kamina. But, it's more that Kamina makes an huge impression on them rather than their universes meshing together. Which is interesting since NEO had them hanging around the New Getter Robo team, aka the most insane versions of the trio and the LAST people you'd want to hang around the Eldoran kids.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think he's partly asking why you spent ten dollars to post in a thread titled after one of the shows you hate. Why spend that amount to post in exactly one topic?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mecha shows are very shallow as far as science fiction does and giant robots literally exist to look cool and sell toys, legit science fiction skirts morally gray territory you obviously are not comfortable with. Frankly the fact that you relate more to genocidal AIs than to... most people is going to make it hard to enjoy anything. I don't think Mecha is the genre for you, dude, if there is even one.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why the gently caress have you let him derail this thread for 20 pages with the exact same argument?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Justin_Brett posted:

I think he's partly asking why you spent ten dollars to post in a thread titled after one of the shows you hate. Why spend that amount to post in exactly one topic?

because I'm just continuing my search to find some anime place where I could fit in at, I guess.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TK-31 posted:

Mecha shows are very shallow as far as science fiction does and giant robots literally exist to look cool and sell toys, legit science fiction skirts morally gray territory you obviously are not comfortable with. Frankly the fact that you relate more to genocidal AIs than to... most people is going to make it hard to enjoy anything. I don't think Mecha is the genre for you, dude, if there is even one.

If that's true, why Was I able to enjoy any of them? like GGG and such?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Your posting is still the loving worst, Clawshrimpy. Stop it. If this is some massive amazing troll spread across a dozen websites then congratulations, you've got me, but if it's legit, seek therapy and medication and stop posting here. The more you post the more it looks like you take less issue with a show itself and more with how a show portrays bad poo poo that happened to you personally. It's probably really difficult to admit you need help dealing with traumatic issues but dude, do it. Trust me. I've been there, you sound like you could use some therapy, and talking about anime you don't like on the internet sure as loving hell ain't it.

He really is loving everywhere, I was watching goddamn Godfrey Ho movies on youtube, scrolled down to the comments and there he was. It kind of freaked me out to be honest.

Speaking of terrible things, I legitimately want to see more of Ginguiser subbed. :unsmigghh:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shaezerus posted:

While we're on topic of recommendation, how's L-Gaim, overall? I've never really cared to go out of my way and watch it but recently been considering giving it a look.

It's great. It's a great blend of silly and serious and it's my favorite Tomino product pretty much ever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

because I'm just continuing my search to find some anime place where I could fit in at, I guess.

Go to TVTropes, where nobody is allowed to be mean ever.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Dickeye posted:

Go to TVTropes, where nobody is allowed to be mean ever.

Everyone there is a hyper-defensive GAINAX/TTGL fan.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

If that's true, why Was I able to enjoy any of them? like GGG and such?

Clawshrimpy posted:

You should answer that question yourself, or better yet, tell this to someone who will be getting paid to analyze you because I sure am not. Look, fiction is rarely made with people like you in mind, but giant robots are specially a bad fit, as demonstrated by the fact that you hate most of them and the majority here has no problem with most of the 'facts' you cite as 'bad writing. If you're not going to seek help at least understand this so you can stop shitposting after getting frustrated at watching the wrong shows. As it stands right now, and unless you like being mocked and ridiculed, you do not belong in this thread either.

e: and for the love of god stop doubleposting.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TK-31 posted:

You should answer that question yourself, or better yet, tell this to someone who will be getting paid to analyze you because I sure am not. Look, fiction is rarely made with people like you in mind, but giant robots are specially a bad fit, as demonstrated by the fact that you hate most of them and the majority here has no problem with most of the 'facts' you cite as 'bad writing. If you're not going to seek help at least understand this so you can stop shitposting after getting frustrated at watching the wrong shows. As it stands right now, and unless you like being mocked and ridiculed, you do not belong in this thread either.

e: and for the love of god stop doubleposting.

But I don't hate all of them! I still like GGG and Raijin Oh, and a few others that are well written.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly if you're looking for sci-fi with brilliant writing there's not a lot of it in anime. Sure there are some drat good gems like LOGH and Planetes, but those are needles in a rather large haystack.

The best bet is to just stick with books. I mean, if you limit yourself to mecha anime you get like 4-5 a year if that and most will just play it really safe because it's such a risk (I mean I like Valvrave but there's no doubt in my mind that it was going off a checklist as they designed the characters). But with books? They don't have to constantly fret over being marketable and there's a ton of good sci-fi every year.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

Honestly if you're looking for sci-fi with brilliant writing there's not a lot of it in anime. Sure there are some drat good gems like LOGH and Planetes, but those are needles in a rather large haystack.

The best bet is to just stick with books. I mean, if you limit yourself to mecha anime you get like 4-5 a year if that and most will just play it really safe because it's such a risk (I mean I like Valvrave but there's no doubt in my mind that it was going off a checklist as they designed the characters). But with books? They don't have to constantly fret over being marketable and there's a ton of good sci-fi every year.

But I don't like to read all that much, and I struggle with reading big novels. Hell, I struggle with manga as it is, and can only handle short ones like the Digimon mangas.
Like I said, I use mecha anime as a replacement/alternative for Star Trek and other live action sci-fi shows.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Clawshrimpy posted:

But I don't hate all of them! I still like GGG and Raijin Oh, and a few others that are well written.

The only anime you've mentioned liking are either GGG or GGG-related. Perhaps it's not that you love mecha but hate how much of it is poo poo, it's that you just like GGG. That's fine! Just don't wail about how awful the genre is "these days" while also making GBS threads on everything before it.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Dickeye posted:

The only anime you've mentioned liking are either GGG or GGG-related. Perhaps it's not that you love mecha but hate how much of it is poo poo, it's that you just like GGG. That's fine! Just don't wail about how awful the genre is "these days" while also making GBS threads on everything before it.

But I don't "just like" GGG. I like Machine Robo Rescue, and Raijin-Oh, and VOTOMS, and some others I can't think of the names of off the top of my head.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why do you watch things with subtitles if you don't like to read?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Justin_Brett posted:

Why do you watch things with subtitles if you don't like to read?

That's different than reading a book or a long manga.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

But I don't like to read all that much, and I struggle with reading big novels. Hell, I struggle with manga as it is, and can only handle short ones like the Digimon mangas.
Like I said, I use mecha anime as a replacement/alternative for Star Trek and other live action sci-fi shows.

Have you tried audiobooks? Audiobooks are very easy to take in, even if you're not big into reading. I heartily recommend it.

Check out this thread and I would bet you can find something you won't hate.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished GaoGaiGar and while I enjoyed it, holding it up as some sort of last bastion of good writing is pretty loving :laffo:.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

TSHS teamed up with a translator from /m/subs to release Giant Gorg 09

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And we also got another episode of Goldran.

I'd love to watch this show as it gets fansubbed but I don't want to risk another case of having the translator vanish for years without a single word :(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just finished GaoGaiGar and while I enjoyed it, holding it up as some sort of last bastion of good writing is pretty loving :laffo:.

Even the parts with the AI that Shrimpy seems to love are really the same in every god drat kids show. "It doesnt matter where youre from blah blah blah you can totally be a hero too."

I mean, I love the show to bits but its not deep :wtc:

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Lepecard posted:

Holy poo poo, within this sea of talk of the " The Punch heard around the world!" I wasn't able to see if that Dragon's heaven manga was the right one that one guy was looking for? Was it?

Got some more info, apparently Dragon's Heaven manga is in these two books. Yeah, MG42 linked one of them earlier.

MG42 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the Dragon's Heaven manga, but Mandarake is selling this:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1294906.html

Might be worth checking out
Mandarake has an english interface that's actually usable, and they accept foreign credit cards. Does anybody have any positive/negative experience with them? I'm thinking of just going for it, I've made much riskier purchases than $20+shipping.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Went to get my wisdom teeth pulled and come back to 200+ posts with Clawshrimpy. Glad I missed that.

I am super stoked about a new Getter series. Is it following a pre-existing manga or will it be completely original?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
We're not sure yet. These designs were by a guy working for Sentinel, NINNIN. I thought that the "Dino Getter" at the bottom with that the 2 reminds me of the Ah 2, save the Dino arm, meant it might be an adaptation of Ah, but these are apparently just the "Dino Getter." So, we don't know yet.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Zodar posted:

Got some more info, apparently Dragon's Heaven manga is in these two books. Yeah, MG42 linked one of them earlier.

Mandarake has an english interface that's actually usable, and they accept foreign credit cards. Does anybody have any positive/negative experience with them? I'm thinking of just going for it, I've made much riskier purchases than $20+shipping.

Mandarake is pretty good, but there's some things to be aware of. Use the japanese names when searching (e.g. ガンダム not Gundam). You gotta wait a day or two while their staff sees if they still carry the items. If buying multiple items, you'll get charged separate shipping from each store you're ordering from, so keep track of which store branch each thing is coming from. They charge $5 if you're ordering under 5000 yen. And never trust images, Mandarake frequently puts up wrong pics, ignore the image if it doesn't match the title.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Zodar posted:

Got some more info, apparently Dragon's Heaven manga is in these two books.

I just noticed the one on Mandarake is sold out.
I also just found out you can order the left book on Amazon.co.jp

It has an English interface and sellers often also ship overseas.
I've ordered books here before, but shipping will be a bit more expensive, around 12 bucks.

Tactical Hobo
Jul 31, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Wow, reading this fascinating "discourse" (if you can call it that) sure was an enlightening experience.

It was like a black hole of :spergin: that penetrates the veil of time and space and injects itself right into my brain through my monitor.

Well at least he's gone now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zereth posted:

You can also just make two tabs of quotes and copy one into the other.

This is what I've always done. It's more convenient in some circumstances, but not always.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

MG42 posted:

I just noticed the one on Mandarake is sold out.
I also just found out you can order the left book on Amazon.co.jp

It has an English interface and sellers often also ship overseas.
I've ordered books here before, but shipping will be a bit more expensive, around 12 bucks.
Apparently the book on the left just has a short story with the same characters, the manga proper is in the book on the right.

Thanks for the heads up. They said it was in stock before I placed my order, so maybe I managed to get the last copy? Still hopeful, waiting on their email.
I did some more research (searching with japanese names, as vkeios suggested) and found the DH manga on Amazon JP as well. I cross-referenced the publishing date and the ISBN, and it all lines up. Still, I'm skeptical about the lack of an item picture and the high shipping costs, so I'm going to wait until I hear back from Mandarake.

Gonna find this thing!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I've been sorta rewatching Big O in the background as I've been working from home lately, since it's pleasantly nostalgic and not too distracting, and I have to know: are there any interviews, supplementary materials, or even well-supported fan theories explaining what the backstory of Big O is? I was following the series pretty well up until the end, but I can't really figure out what the chronology/structure is behind the apocalyptic war involving the Bigs and various Megadei, Angel's creation of a new world according to her script or whatever, and Gordon Rosewater's decision to wipe everyone's memory (with some exceptions). I understand this is all largely tangential to the existential message of the show, but I'm incredibly curious.

On a related note, is there any way to obtain the manga outside of eBay at this point? And has anyone ever translated the extra volumes of the manga that didn't get an official English release?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
From what I know, Big O's entire plotline and the massive mystery behind it isn't really a result of poor writing or "IT IS A MYSTERY gently caress YOU". It's a much sadder tale.

There was originally to be a third season of it that would reveal much more about what the gently caress was going on, but it got cancelled, so..... Yeah.

On an unrelated note, I AM WATCHING THE ORIGINAL MAZINGER Z WITH TERRIBLE ENGLISH SUBTITLES AND LOVING THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

new thread title, "Dr. Hill's evil robots want to conquer the world. Will you just pass by?"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Don't you DARE disrespect Dr. Hill or his crabstick

Also in Devilman vs Mazinger Z the subs are so bad that they subtitle Pilder on! Mazin go! as "Go down, friend!" it owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Valentin posted:

I've been sorta rewatching Big O in the background as I've been working from home lately, since it's pleasantly nostalgic and not too distracting, and I have to know: are there any interviews, supplementary materials, or even well-supported fan theories explaining what the backstory of Big O is? I was following the series pretty well up until the end, but I can't really figure out what the chronology/structure is behind the apocalyptic war involving the Bigs and various Megadei, Angel's creation of a new world according to her script or whatever, and Gordon Rosewater's decision to wipe everyone's memory (with some exceptions). I understand this is all largely tangential to the existential message of the show, but I'm incredibly curious.

This is the only real analysis of the show I've found, but what you get out of it depends on how :tinfoil: you're prepared to be.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

GunganRevenge posted:

From what I know, Big O's entire plotline and the massive mystery behind it isn't really a result of poor writing or "IT IS A MYSTERY gently caress YOU". It's a much sadder tale.

There was originally to be a third season of it that would reveal much more about what the gently caress was going on, but it got cancelled, so..... Yeah.

On an unrelated note, I AM WATCHING THE ORIGINAL MAZINGER Z WITH TERRIBLE ENGLISH SUBTITLES AND LOVING THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

new thread title, "Dr. Hill's evil robots want to conquer the world. Will you just pass by?"

I don't see why anyone can dislike the crabsticks, really. They make a great night in with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Hell and his underlings discussing Umineko.

• Locked thread