Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm on an audiobook binge recently so I've bought into Audible platinum. It is incredible that you can "buy" a Kindle book for free, something like "the idiot", and then Audible recognizes your purchase and you can then buy the audiobook for $34.99 $3 just because you clicked 1 button on Amazon.com.

I... Love this.

I recently finished Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall and it was really very funny, even though it slows down a bit around 3/4 of the way though (it's only ~5 hours). It was narrated by Michael Maloney who did an excellent job of having a comedic jaunty toff voice for the characters.

tuna fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nVex
Jan 3, 2007

Pale Blue Dot has an audiobook read by Carl Sagan (for a majority of the chapters), his voice is just mesmerizing...

Also, Audible's Hyperion was really well done. They used different voice actors for different characters; I finished the story feeling spoiled by high production value. The only sad part is that the sequel is only done by one of the original voice actors.

nVex fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 1, 2013

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I really enjoyed Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. I have Endymion and Rise of Endymion, but I haven't listened to them yet.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Looking for something along the lines of Codex Alera or The Black Company, doesn't need to be a series, though it's preferable. But I would like it to be longer then 10 hours if possible. I like listening to large unit actions and like intrigue and drama as well, but really want something either Fantasy or Future that's got large troop movements and tactics and the such. Can anyone recommend something along these lines?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SageSepth posted:

Looking for something along the lines of Codex Alera or The Black Company, doesn't need to be a series, though it's preferable. But I would like it to be longer then 10 hours if possible. I like listening to large unit actions and like intrigue and drama as well, but really want something either Fantasy or Future that's got large troop movements and tactics and the such. Can anyone recommend something along these lines?

Old Man's War by John Scalzi, or The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Both are good jumping off points for some great future stuff (though Scalzi has a lot more in the same universe than the other, the latest one called The Human Division was pretty good).

Or you could go full retard and get Armor by John Steakley.

There's also the full cast production of Dune if you really want to go hog wild.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

SageSepth posted:

I'm going through The Red Knight by Miles Cameron right now, it's fantasy with big battles and nice action scenes. Large groups of solders on the march with lots of discussion of battle tactics so it seems to match what you are looking for. It's the first of a trilogy but sadly is the only book published so far, It is just over 30 hours though so there is that.

Here is a link to the Audible page for the book: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B00B02ZRSM&qid=1376455546&sr=1-1

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Currently listening to one of the two available readings of Moby Dick from Librivox. The young fellow reading is one of the best I've ever listened to, offhand. Sometimes with Librivox it's hit or miss but this guy is doing a great job. I've never read the book and it really reminds me of Pynchon, 150 years later. I can't help but think he must have been really into Melville, in addition to the Fu Manchu novels.

And you may laugh when I say I'm reading it because I listened to Mastodon's "Leviathan." They are right; the book is totally metal.

corran__horn
Aug 19, 2013

mystes posted:

I've been subscribed for a couple years and I haven't once come across a book that was 2 credits.

I believe that Dance with Dragons/A Memory of Light/Team of Rivals at least started at the two credit line. Generally I see it with books well over the 45 hour mark.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

corran__horn posted:

I believe that Dance with Dragons/A Memory of Light/Team of Rivals at least started at the two credit line. Generally I see it with books well over the 45 hour mark.

Well if you're looking to maximized hours of audio per credit, there's always Atlas Shrugged. 63 hours of objectivist fiction for only 1 credit!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Wow, when buying a Kindle ebook that has Whispersync for Voice, it doesn't even send you off to the Audible website anymore, you now click the button and you're the proud owner of an audiobook without even leaving Amazon. Which helps make it drat tempting when it's a $0.99 addon.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Over the last month or so I've been slowly going through this thread, adding recommendations to my wish list over on Audible. I think I picked up Good Omens from this thread but man, the narrator put me to sleep within three minutes the last two nights, and that's not good when I mostly listen to audiobooks on my drive to work. The story seems interesting so I might have to pick up an ebook copy at some point. I returned it, though.

If you're in to Young Adult, several of John Green's novels are performed excellently.

Looking for Alaska

His first book, and the style (a countdown) is engaging.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Written with David Levithan, it's about two guys named Will Grayson, and how their paths cross. The Will Grayson that Levithan wrote is amazingly well performed. This is currently my favorite audiobook.

The Fault in Our Stars
His only novel with a female main character, and the voice actor does an excellent job.

I also really like The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell. I like the way she gets different voice actors to play the parts of the primary sources.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Avoid Audible's Radix read by Sergei Burbank. It's got to be the second worst narration I've ever listened to. I made it about 10 minutes before I finally gave up. There have been text to speech narrations that were better. It's only surpassed in horribleness by Ray Bradbury reading his own Fahrenheit 451 published by (oh god, who greenlit this) Harper Audio.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can anyone recommend some quality full cast audiobooks? Other than the Graphic Audio books I've only seen the Golden Compass series, American Gods, and World War Z.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

nessin posted:

Can anyone recommend some quality full cast audiobooks? Other than the Graphic Audio books I've only seen the Golden Compass series, American Gods, and World War Z.

Several of the Dune novels by Frank Herbert have full casts, and Dude itself is a wonderful production.

Audible.com has a search listing for full cast audio productions.

I recently listened to their latest rendition of Bram Stokers Dracula, and it was a wonderful full cast version.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dune is okay yet for some reason like 2-3 of the chapters they forgot to do the full-cast for or something and it is just the main narrator.

The Baron goes from sounding like a black actor to a poor scottish impersonation.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

jeeves posted:

Dune is okay yet for some reason like 2-3 of the chapters they forgot to do the full-cast for or something and it is just the main narrator.

The Baron goes from sounding like a black actor to a poor scottish impersonation.

He reminds me of the guy that did the voice of Pyro in the PC game Sacrifice.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

jeeves posted:

Yeah the baron sounds really great and intimidating and evil and then we go back to the main narrator and suddenly nope!

And then in the second book, Dune Messiah, instead of having the main narrator read the story and having voice actors for the seperate characters they have like Pauls narrator read the entire chapter early on focusing on Paul and then you never hear him again. Same with Alia, you never hear from Jessica it just feels really weird and phoned in.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 16, 2013

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a particularly good audio Bible out there?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Johnny Cash did a reading, as well as James Earl Jones.

Is the new Ender's Game dramatization any good?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 3, 2013

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009
I have some audiobooks saved in MP3 format on my computer. Can anyone recommend an iPhone app that allows me to play them? Basically I'm looking for something with similar features to the Audible app, but allows me the freedom of importing my own mp3s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tortilla Tequila posted:

I have some audiobooks saved in MP3 format on my computer. Can anyone recommend an iPhone app that allows me to play them? Basically I'm looking for something with similar features to the Audible app, but allows me the freedom of importing my own mp3s.
I used to use Audiobook Builder years ago to put MP3s together into audiobooks for my iPod. That predates the app store though, so there's a good chance there's a free option now.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

jeeves posted:

Haha the Dune audiobook cast is awesome. Sure, let's have Leto talk with an American accent and give Paul an English one. Also have Gurney Halleck be played buy a comedian doing a Jack Nicholson impression.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Strange Matter posted:

Haha the Dune audiobook cast is awesome. Sure, let's have Leto talk with an American accent and give Paul an English one. Also have Gurney Halleck be played buy a comedian doing a Jack Nicholson impression.
That's almost enough to make me buy it on the spot.

"Heeeeere's Gurney!"

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Having just had a run of grim and bleak audiobooks, can anyone recommend some good comedy fiction? I know good comedy writing is rare enough at the best of times, but any search on Audible leads me down a road of stand up comics hawking their sets.

I like Stephen Fry, David Sedaris, Saki, Wodehouse, Bill Bryson, that kind of thing, so you know what kind of a pretentious rear end I am.

Doesn't even need to be comedy particularly, but something uplifting. I've got Skagboys by Irvine Welsh cued up next, but I think I need a break from that.

Any ideas?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Doubtful Guest posted:

Having just had a run of grim and bleak audiobooks, can anyone recommend some good comedy fiction? I know good comedy writing is rare enough at the best of times, but any search on Audible leads me down a road of stand up comics hawking their sets.

I like Stephen Fry, David Sedaris, Saki, Wodehouse, Bill Bryson, that kind of thing, so you know what kind of a pretentious rear end I am.

Doesn't even need to be comedy particularly, but something uplifting. I've got Skagboys by Irvine Welsh cued up next, but I think I need a break from that.

Any ideas?

Does fiction masquerading as reality count?

I love, love John Hodgman's Areas of my Expertise and More Information Than You Require. He has a third, That is All, that I don't like as much.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Tupping Liberty posted:

Does fiction masquerading as reality count?

I love, love John Hodgman's Areas of my Expertise and More Information Than You Require. He has a third, That is All, that I don't like as much.

Definitely. Already a Hodgman fan. I've only heard snippets of the audiobooks, as they weren't available on Audible.co.uk for ages, so I read them in print. Except for the final one, which I'd agree is the weakest of the three.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Doubtful Guest posted:

Definitely. Already a Hodgman fan. I've only heard snippets of the audiobooks, as they weren't available on Audible.co.uk for ages, so I read them in print. Except for the final one, which I'd agree is the weakest of the three.

If they have them now, you should try out the full audiobooks, the guest stars make all the difference.

Christopher Moore is another good person for comedy fiction. Of his books I've only listened to and read Lamb: The Story of Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal and it's really good. It's not laugh out loud funny (in most parts) and it ends on sort of a sad note (Spoiler alert: Jesus dies), but it's still really good and the guy reading it is perfect as the voice of Biff.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Having never read the hunger games, could anyone recommend the Audible versions as being any good?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tithin Melias posted:

Having never read the hunger games, could anyone recommend the Audible versions as being any good?

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Battle-Royale-Audiobook/B0093O1ZY4/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1384240714&sr=1-1 :haw:
Though the Narrator isn't that good. Infact, I'd probably say he's bad but serviceable.

Edit: As for the hungergames themselves, I dunno. The sample sounds like there's feint music in the background, that's pretty cool I guess.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well poo poo, I didn't realise Battle Royale was even on there. That's on the list for immediate download <3

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Tithin Melias posted:

Yes, I really like the audio book versions of the Hunger Games. The reader is great at building tension with her voice.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Doubtful Guest posted:

The best part of all of Hodgman's books is that they include full readings of his vast list of names, with musical accompaniment provided by Jonathan Coulton (apparently the rift caused by Coulton murdering Hodgman's cat and masturbating in his house has been healed).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Audible has an audiobook for Alastair Reynolds's new book up but they aren't selling it in the US :(.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Good god I love John Lee's voice. If you guys are checking out audiobooks based on narrators, listen to John Lee reading Perdido Street Station or Kraken or The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tortilla Tequila posted:

You should be able to drag the MP3's into iTunes, right-click on the new entry in iTunes and choose "Get Info". Click the Options tab and put a checkmark on "Remember playback position". You can also set the Media Kind to "Audiobook". There you go, now you can pick it up and put it down and still get to the last place you were at in the story.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Having just had a run of grim and bleak audiobooks, can anyone recommend some good comedy fiction?
You should check out David Cross' "I Drink for a Reason" and Patton Oswalt's "Zombie Spaceship Wasteland". Both of them feature essays, long-form comedic bits, songs and guest bits that are stellar.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm an audiobook narrator, and I'd like to recommend my four new M/M titles that have just been released.

From award-winning author Josh Lanyon, it's the Dangerous Ground series. Follow the gripping cases of Special Agents for the Bureau of Diplomatic Security Will Brandt and Taylor MacAllister, as they solve crime and navigate the complexities of love. With each other. Because they're gay.

These books are well-written and fun, with amazing narration by me. I hope you'll check out the samples!
Dangerous Ground
Old Poison
Blood Heat
Dead Run

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Has anyone listened to Railsea? Does the narrator "hit his stride" at some point? I am about 90 minutes in and find the narration to be really, really painful.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
No he doesn't for the most part, the occasionally gives a character a bit of life but he mostly sounds like he's reading an instruction manual for the majority of the reading. It's a shame he's got a good voice for it but his style just sucks a lot of the fun out of the story.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah his voice is good, and I honestly can't imagine trying to read this story aloud myself. He just splits up the sentences really awkwardly and has a sort of emotionless repetitive delivery. "Sucks a lot of fun out of the story" is a good way of putting it. I'll finish it because I like Mieville, but John Lee is a much better fit for his stuff. (John Lee also rocks in general, as was recently said.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't know if this is the best place to find the answer to this question, but here goes.

I'm trying to track down a pre-1990s recording of The Jungle Book. The narrator was a British man with a really deep, sometimes gravelly, distinguished voice. In between chapters, there were interludes of sitar music and ragas. I don't know if it was BBC or not.

I got this on cassette tape for Christmas one year, maybe in 1989. I'm turning up nothing on Google, Youtube, Audible, Amazon, etc. Any help?