Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I don't mind being told that a sandbox has '17 hours of content' because I have over 700 hours in Skyrim. Sandboxes are my favorite because I can just dick around on my own volition and have fun, then put it down when I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Ars are mooooostly fair but do have a tendency to be snooty as hell and jump immediately up themselves about things that contain silliness or might cause people to look at gaming as anything but a mature robust artform etc.
Ben Kuchera was the best games writer at Ars. Think about that.

Orgophlax posted:

I'm noticing the player is losing health during Mayhem missions in SR4, yet you don't in SR3. That's kind of a pisser.
Personally that sounds good to me. On foot Mayhem was kinda boring because they gave you some sort of infinite explosive, and with no health to worry about it was kinda lacking.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Not to mention, I believe IdolNinja is working on a mod that will allow you to toggle those effects (or was it superpowers?).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

(or was it superpowers?).

There's already a code to disable the powers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I dunno, I really liked becoming an unstoppable badass about a third of the way through the other games (or in the case of SR2, before I did basically any story missions). It's me guys, I'm the one who likes the unrestrained power fantasy aspect of Saint's Row.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Could I get the link to Lowtax's stream of this ? I can't find it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Some French Guy posted:

It's actually was on Shmorky's twitch page. Dunno if it archived there are not. But Lowtax did put two highlight videos on his Youtube page.

http://www.twitch.tv/sashmorky

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Shindragon posted:

Not trying to excuse the game, but pretty sure in SR2 you can do the exact same thing. The only difference was that you had to beat side missions in order to unlock the ability/bonus.

Most of the upgrades in SR2 just reduced damage even at their maximum level, I think the exceptions were fall damage and maybe fire. In SR3 you can become 100% immune to almost all damage.

Also I don't remember anything about Mayhem in SR3 but in SR2 I know you took damage during it, most of my failed attempts ended with a cop car running me over.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Some French Guy posted:

I just posted it on the previous page :psyduck:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alright, I wasn't going to ask because it's :spergin: as hell but I can't stop thinking about it. Concerning custom clothing in/out of virtual Steelport, a twofold question:

-If I put on a full-face mask, will I have that in the spaceship or whatever the setting for real-world scenes is?
-How many cutscenes take place inside the simulation?
Because I like some of the masks a lot but I also want to see the boss' face during cutscenes. It's a thing.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

I just posted it on the previous page :psyduck:

You linked shmorky's stream, but listening through it I got the impression lowtax might have been streaming his side as well, which I assume is what Some French Guy was asking for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Most of the upgrades in SR2 just reduced damage even at their maximum level, I think the exceptions were fall damage and maybe fire. In SR3 you can become 100% immune to almost all damage.

For anyone on PC, there's a second option for reduced damage besides the hypothetical IdolNinja on/off switch. For SR3, someone made a save editor that exposes the damage values, and it turns out they are easy decimal numbers for fraction of damage you take. It can do arbitrary numbers for all the damage types; you can have something like 50% bullet damage that's not even an option in the normal progression. Or 200% if you want. I'm pretty sure someone will update that for SR4, it's a java app with source available.

So to sum it up, there may be 3 full levels of control:
1. Do or do not check the box making you immune to damage depending on your preference and level of "must check all boxes" OCD.
2. Use a mod that allows you to switch upgrades on and off.
3. Edit a save and have whatever the hell you want.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003

A Lamer posted:

You linked shmorky's stream, but listening through it I got the impression lowtax might have been streaming his side as well, which I assume is what Some French Guy was asking for.

Na I just missed it :/.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The original Saint. Everett True

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hank Morgan posted:

The original Saint. Everett True

By thunder this is an excellent work and I'd clock the infirm lobster who says differently.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So what's the resolution on this ding dong?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Crowetron posted:

So what's the resolution on this ding dong?

It is undeniably sack.

Still no word on the smell though.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.
Hey there guys,

I haven't popped into this thread before, but we've just added an offer to all of our titles launching in August, which includes Saint's Row IV. We've added a $5 Digital Video Games Credit with every purchase.

So, for Saint's Row IV, the preorder offer looks like this:

Saint's Row IV:

$5 Digital Video Games Credit with Pre-order
Commander-in-Chief Edition, featuring the 'Merica Weapon, the Screamin' Eagle Plane, and an Uncle Sam Suit. Offer applies to all existing pre-order

If this kind of thing is something you'd rather not see here I'll not stop by in the future, just let me know.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES
All these discounts and bonuses make me feel like a sucker for preordering in June. At least I'm still getting the Commander-in-Chief package.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

All these discounts and bonuses make me feel like a sucker for preordering in June. At least I'm still getting the Commander-in-Chief package.

I need to start mentioning this in every post, sorry. Anything we add is retroactive. We're not going to penalize you for ordering early.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

My Lovely Horse posted:

Alright, I wasn't going to ask because it's :spergin: as hell but I can't stop thinking about it. Concerning custom clothing in/out of virtual Steelport, a twofold question:

-If I put on a full-face mask, will I have that in the spaceship or whatever the setting for real-world scenes is?
-How many cutscenes take place inside the simulation?
Because I like some of the masks a lot but I also want to see the boss' face during cutscenes. It's a thing.

There are no spoilers in that post. Costume changes are in the Sim only, with only one costume in the real world. Naturally, tattoos and hair will be reflected on both sides.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES

AmazonTony posted:

I need to start mentioning this in every post, sorry. Anything we add is retroactive. We're not going to penalize you for ordering early.

I already preordered elsewhere, but it's all good. If it's half as fun as SRTT I'd happily drop $100 on it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

I already preordered elsewhere, but it's all good. If it's half as fun as SRTT I'd happily drop $100 on it.

Console version for full price and pc version for 40 = $100 right here. :dance:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm replaying through Saints Row 2 in preparation for next Tuesday, and man I forgot how aggravating the Chop Shop activities can be. I just had a car I was looking for disappear on me even though I was right next to it, all because it was offscreen for like two seconds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So real quickly, how do you engage superpowers in this game? I know it's replacing the food wheel in 2/grenade wheel in 3, but being a mouse and keyboard user that wheel was never really easy for me to use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So real quickly, how do you engage superpowers in this game? I know it's replacing the food wheel in 2/grenade wheel in 3, but being a mouse and keyboard user that wheel was never really easy for me to use.

There is a dedicated superpower button (RB on the 360).

The D-Pad switches between the four active superpowers. Each has their own cooldown so you can use one and then the other. Double-tap switches the element of that superpower. Super Jump and Super Speed replace the jump and sprint buttons respectively.

I presume on the PC you'd have hotkeys for the four power switches and the rest would be the same as usual.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, basically you no longer have grenades.

And because somebody's going to complain, it's because now you shoot grenades out of your hands, and those grenades set people on fire or freeze them solid or shoot them off into the distance at high speed into walls.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Crappy Jack posted:

And because somebody's going to complain, it's because now you shoot grenades out of your hands, and those grenades set people on fire or freeze them solid or shoot them off into the distance at high speed into walls.

Grenades only ever caused me sorrow in SRTT. I was horrible at throwing them, and more often then not they just led to me being on fire.

I hope the superpowers are less harmful to my own character in IV.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Crappy Jack posted:

But are any of them Fart in a Jar :v:

Edit: To be honest, the only real time I ever used grenades was with Assault Rifles with Grenade Launchers and I eventually skipped that in SRTT to go with the Grenade Launcher special weapon... which ironically didn't even use any of your grenades.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 16, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Talkc posted:

Grenades only ever caused me sorrow in SRTT. I was horrible at throwing them, and more often then not they just led to me being on fire.

I hope the superpowers are less harmful to my own character in IV.

I constantly forgot I had grenades. It was easy to forget when your guns exploded and/or set people on fire.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Oh dang, Kotaku posted an awesome hidden easter egg weapon you can find at Let's Pretend.

I kinda don't wanna link it to spoil anybody but anybody that REALLY wants to see it it's easy to find on the front page.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The only time I used grenades was short-circuiting a boss fight in SR3, and getting stuck fighting the potty-mouthed DJ in SR2, so I'm not going to miss them. Probably have to do some keyboard rebinding though, because I really don't enjoy using a gamepad with anything that involves a targeting reticle.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of grenades, where does one find FIAJ grenades post game in SR3? I was going to finish up the classy achievement but I can't find them anywhere.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of grenades, where does one find FIAJ grenades post game in SR3? I was going to finish up the classy achievement but I can't find them anywhere.

They are fully upgraded flashbang grenades.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh dang, Kotaku posted an awesome hidden easter egg weapon you can find at Let's Pretend.

I kinda don't wanna link it to spoil anybody but anybody that REALLY wants to see it it's easy to find on the front page.

Correction, Gamefront actually found it.

http://www.gamefront.com/saints-row-4-secret-developer-room-easter-egg/

WATCH IT IF YOU DARE.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

ImpAtom posted:

I presume on the PC you'd have hotkeys for the four power switches and the rest would be the same as usual.

I'm pretty sure the super powers are switched using the F1-F4 keys on the PC.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Saint Rows IV: Where we find the Easter Eggs before Release Date

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Saint Rows

I feel like they missed an opportunity in the hair options with this. :(

Good Lord Fisher!