Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended
Dec 13, 2007
Meet Bluebell and Pepper, two strays found on the side of the road that my wife and I are fostering until we can adopt. We think maybe they're Shih Tzu + Jack Russell Terrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
This here is Mowgli.

He's part Australian shepherd/boxer/bulldog, with allegedly some Staffordshire bull terrier, Swedish vallhund, and Bernese mountain dog mixed in for good measure.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
He's quite the good looking guy. Don't get me wrong, but the last two breeds you mentioned are pretty drat unusual for likely mutt making dogs in the classical sense.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Smashurbanipal posted:

He's quite the good looking guy. Don't get me wrong, but the last two breeds you mentioned are pretty drat unusual for likely mutt making dogs in the classical sense.

Yeah, that's my understanding. He had the DNA test and those were the results apparently down the line to his great grandparents. He's primarily Australian shepherd and boxer.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So Linus's Wisdom Panel results came back:

I expected the Shar-Pei (and to a lesser extent the Chow Chow) but didn't expect to see GSD. Being such a common breed, how likely is the GSD in the results to actually be GSD and not just some kind of Shepherd breed? He's doesn't have any of the traits of GSDs.

The "other breeds" page listed Siberian Husky and Wire Terrier as possible other contributors but I think it was mentioned in this thread that these just mean some kind of husky/terrier generalness. Other weird stuff possibly detected was Brittany, American Hairless, and Glen of Imaal Terrier. :iiam:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I think GSD is entirely possible just because, like you said, they're incredibly common. Not all dogs show physical/mental traits of a breed in their makeup. Shadow's DNA results said he was mostly GSD/lab. He acts absolutely nothing like a lab, his personality is almost straight up GSD. So sometimes more of one breed will show through than the other. It's a genetic gamble. :)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I started working at a doggy daycare a few weeks ago, and it's been a lot of fun seeing other dogs with DNA results. Some of the owners have even had fun conversations with geneticists like I did. So far we've learned that husky mixes can end up looking like incredibly long-legged browndogs.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Here's our little mutt, Jax, about 14 weeks old. We have some guesses about possible breeds, but I'd like get some second opinions here so I won't post any speculation -- I'll just mention a few attributes that don't show up well in the pictures. For the record, the bottom two pictures are a few weeks newer than the top one. He's about 20 pounds at 14 weeks. He has a very tightly-curled, non-fluffy tail that tapers to a point at the end, and his gums and the very tip/underside of his tongue are a dark purple/blueish color. However, the top of his tongue is regular pink. His eyes are very brown. Also, he has really long, gangly legs proportionate to the rest of his body, it's hard to see how long his legs are in these pictures. He sometimes barks, but more often than that makes the weirdest whine/growl/yelping noises that sound more like dog-talking than true barking.

As for behavior, he's extremely calm most of the time and learns commands quickly. However, he only obeys them when it suits his needs and he's not distracted by something more interesting. Sometimes extremely high-value treats can subvert this stubbornness, but they have to be really good stuff. Also, he basically became house trained within the first week we had him and hasn't had an accident since for more than a month. He whines a bit sometimes when put in his crate, but that happens very infrequently now, and he's perfectly fine for a full 8+ hours of sleep overnight with zero whining and zero accidents. At this point he really only whines when he feels the crating is "unfair," such as when he's been recently crated and is forced to go back in. He's extremely calm when held or touched and never gets aggressive or upset no matter how or where he is touched or petted or what indignities we force him to suffer.

Any guesses about Jax? We get the "what kind of dog is he?" question literally every day. We also get repeated offers to buy him from us. We really won the mutt-looks lottery on this guy. Pictures hardly do it justice since he's got such a pure dark coat and we don't have any cameras expensive enough to handle the proper exposure well.

e: Bonus superpuppy pictures from Petfinder before we adopted him. Don't be fooled by the bottom one, his tail curls like crazy and is not at all fluffy anymore.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 8, 2013

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's really hard to tell when they're young, but he looks like a GSD mix, which is what I'd tell people to shut them up.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Skizzles posted:

It's really hard to tell when they're young, but he looks like a GSD mix, which is what I'd tell people to shut them up.

He looks like a BC (/GSD mix) to me :negative:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

He looks adorable to me. :colbert:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

octoroon posted:

As for behavior, he's extremely calm most of the time and learns commands quickly. However, he only obeys them when it suits his needs and he's not distracted by something more interesting. Sometimes extremely high-value treats can subvert this stubbornness, but they have to be really good stuff. Also, he basically became house trained within the first week we had him and hasn't had an accident since for more than a month. He whines a bit sometimes when put in his crate, but that happens very infrequently now, and he's perfectly fine for a full 8+ hours of sleep overnight with zero whining and zero accidents. At this point he really only whines when he feels the crating is "unfair," such as when he's been recently crated and is forced to go back in. He's extremely calm when held or touched and never gets aggressive or upset no matter how or where he is touched or petted or what indignities we force him to suffer.

He might have something primitive in him, like husky, if he's already blowing you guys off at 14 weeks. :) Husky/BC/GSD maybe?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He might have something primitive in him, like husky, if he's already blowing you guys off at 14 weeks. :) Husky/BC/GSD maybe?

Husky I can totally see for this reason! I don't know if all puppy ears develop the same, but my dog had the sailboat-ears for a while as a pup and he's pretty shepherdy. That is a super-cute dog, I hope you don't own a lot of white clothing (or just don't mind the "I have pets" look).

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, Jax is a really cute little guy. Between now and the time I posted last we've already had two more offers to buy him from us from complete strangers, and a third asking if we had any others from his litter to share. Thanks for the breed suggestions, I hadn't even considered shepherd. The adoption forms we initially got with him showed him as collie/chow, but since he was a rescue noone really knows for sure. We might be curious enough to get the wisdom panel done, I'll be sure to update with results if we actually do it. We definitely think there might be some primitive because of his tightly curled tail and behavior, though he's so young that the behavioral stuff could all still change at any time.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

Throwing in a +1 to some kind of BC mix, possibly BC/GSD. Mostly I'm commenting to warn you about the tail- Otis's tail was a scraggly little thing then once he hit puberty it blossomed into a majestic floof. Honestly, your dude looks like Otis would've if he had prick ears and didn't have a weird roan monkey face. Edit: and if he does turn out like Oats, be prepared for the offers to buy or breed him to never stop. There's a guy in town who begs me to sell him and offers more every time we see him. It's been a while but I think he's up to 2k or so :psyduck:

Examples:

an expert fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 9, 2013

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Otis isn't roan, he's just solid blue and has a weirdly smooth face and a super fluffy coat looks like. Roan in dogs just means heavily ticked, like blue roan cocker spaniels and blue australian cattle dogs. If he was roan that white spot on his chest would be all ticked like an ACD.

He's clearly part sloth bear so no wonder people are offering so much money for him.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

I dunno man, he's got whie sprinkled all around his head and down his reverse-mohawk blaze thing, and on his legs below his hocks. It's hard to show in pictures because his weird fur lengths, though you can kinda see it in the picture I posted before, but overall his face coloration seems to be something like this:

I AM SO loving GOOD AT 2SECOND PHOTOSHOPS

Superdark blue with lighter throughout, with goldish-blue around his eyes and even darker blue on the end of the muzzle. Digging around on the interwebs and lurking the genetics thread made me come to the conclusion that he was blue, super heavily roaned ( bit like this guy except long haired and blue not liver), with white markings not in the roan areas, tan face points that are partially covered by a black mask that gets all muddied by his blue. OR dark blue with uneven graying and bronzing, with the white etc marks? Your guess would be the second one?

I hope no one tries to take his liver :ohdear:

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010

Fraction posted:

He looks like a BC (/GSD mix) to me :negative:

Now, how could you say that like it's a bad thing?

My grumpy old grandad babysit him over the weekend and greeted our homecoming with, "YOUR DOG IS A DESTROYER."

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I think if he had that level of roaning he wouldn't have any white at all. I know a lot of GSPs like the boy you posted and none of them have any residual white markings. Maybe blue seal? Is the hair itself white or does he have white skin showing through the short areas of his fur?

He's a mysterious little sloth bear gremlin.

Huge Liability posted:

Ugh that durpy blue snoot I love it give it to me.

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
WUT quit CLONIN' MAH DOG PEOPLE

She's MINE. :mad:

http://photogallery.wisdompanel.com/photos/profile/7361.html#formMessage

:C I would love to see Diaz's results. This particular Diaz-clone is part Husky and part... wait... Rhodesian Ridgeback. That's way cooler than Aussie or Catahoula, guys.

Want to have fun guessing? My fiancé pulled an idiot move and when the dog I had pointed out to him on Petfinder to go adopt was no longer at the shelter he went with the first "cool eyed biggish dog that 'rolled on its back for belly rubs!'" he found... sadly the dog and he did not agree on many levels and was not kept, but wow. Destroyer of ALL THINGS and constant escaping or escape attempts every day. Somehow wedged himself under the 6" raised garage door while my bf was asleep.
Either way he was listed as Australian Shepherd mix but.... he had the thickest fluffiest fullest coat I've ever seen and although "he hasn't really shed much at all!" I wanted to say he was something else in there. Supposedly about 60-70lb. Chill, but didn't bond with ANYONE at the house and was just.. going through tire toys and all other toys fast as can be. My dog's octopus Kong thing was shredded within half an hour and Diaz had played with that for years. :C
Only thing that made me real mad was he agreed we'd both pick the dog since I'm moving back and he also said he wanted THIS, specifically: no long haired/majorly full-coated dogs, 'cool' 'neat looking/striking' or 'blue' eyes, something maybe 30-50lb or larger, he wanted it to have "the Diaz durp" (whatever that is, pfthth) and at least somewhat smart or hinted at intelligence. Basically he really just wants another Diaz but I found him some amazing matches on PetFinder local to him but nope, impulsivity-AWAY! Either way here are some pics of the dog while he had it:

(his dad is maybe 5'9-5'11?)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Huge Liability posted:

My grumpy old grandad babysit him over the weekend and greeted our homecoming with, "YOUR DOG IS A DESTROYER."

It's just a joke cause my dog is a bc who everyone thinks is a GSD or GSD mix~~

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

huskyjackal posted:

:C I would love to see Diaz's results. This particular Diaz-clone is part Husky and part... wait... Rhodesian Ridgeback. That's way cooler than Aussie or Catahoula, guys.

Yes, the merle rhodesian. Very common. Someone needs to have a chat with the WP geneticists.

Floofdog looks like a primitive (husky or mal?)/GSD/something else assortment. Lets go with mini-leonberger.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Man this mutt is special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9HenPzQo98

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
I posted this mutt in the thread a while back, and guess who ended up coming home with me! You guys threw out several Cav/small breed mixes, but in person, none of them (chi, pap, pom) seem likely. She's a little under 15 pounds. Here are a million photos!

Most people do what I did and guess Beagle/???, because it's really hard to get a sense of scale with her unless you're standing right next to her. She has a relatively small head for a little dog, and long skinny legs, so she doesn't look like a toy breed, she just looks like a shrunk-down big dog.

So here's our best guess, and it sounds ridiculous: Cavalier/Sheltie. But seriously, the pictures of that mix I've found are the closest to her body/face/ear combination that I've found!

Take that dogs face, put the ears down (but keep the top of the ear fluff), smoosh the snout a little, reduce fluff, give her Cav coloring, and maaaybe?

I'm seriously considering getting the wisdom panel done, because people ask about her every time we're out in public. Little kids love her, because like I said, she looks like a small version of a regular dog, so they think she's a puppy. A little girl in Petsmart came up to her and pet her, then turned to her dad and said "Daddy i want one like this!" :3: He couldn't believe when I told him that she was full grown.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I have a client with a Cav/JRT who looks exactly like that.

KitFisto
Feb 17, 2004

Ooh! Keep your hair on lad! That is your hair I take it?
Jax is for sure a chow chow mix. My rescue Jake is chow/lab mix(pictures on the last page), they share quite a few features. Enjoy your primi!

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Here's my smallish mutt dog, I'm curious what y'all think he's made of.

He's 23lbs, his fur is really thick around his neck, almost thick enough to be a ruff. He likes the water, isn't prissy about being out in the rain or whatever and doesn't have much of a prey drive. His tail only droops down when he's really tired.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Purebred BYB chihuahua would be my guess.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm actually gonna toss out chihuahua/pug as a guess. He was just fortunate not to inherit the pug face.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

He has kind of a stocky barrelchested body on those spindly little chihuahua legs, and his weird little chihuahua face looks too small for his head. I'm not really in a big Chi area, they hardly ever pop up in the humane society and most of the ones I've seen are in the 10lb range so while he could be "pure" Chihuahua I think a mix is more likely. He most likely is a Chi mix, I'm curious if anyone has ideas for what else might made made him.

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 16, 2013

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I will actually second chi/pug. Pugs droop their tails when sad, and they have that heavyset neck and shoulders like he does. Plus it just fits in with the weight and attitude.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Fat Dio posted:

Here's my smallish mutt dog, I'm curious what y'all think he's made of.

He's 23lbs, his fur is really thick around his neck, almost thick enough to be a ruff. He likes the water, isn't prissy about being out in the rain or whatever and doesn't have much of a prey drive. His tail only droops down when he's really tired.

I don't see pug in the face at all. IF there's pug in there, my gut says it'd be a pug mutt. Maybe something like chihuahua x (pug + beagle). I really only see chi-mutt though.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Skizzles posted:

I'm actually gonna toss out chihuahua/pug as a guess. He was just fortunate not to inherit the pug face.

nailed it

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Captain Foxy posted:

I will actually second chi/pug. Pugs droop their tails when sad, and they have that heavyset neck and shoulders like he does. Plus it just fits in with the weight and attitude.

This is why I went with pug/chi. The tail is puggy, and that coat is incredibly similar to almost every fawn pug ever (with those white shoulder "stripes" or whatever you wanna call 'em). The face and ears are mostly chi, though.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Skizzles posted:

This is why I went with pug/chi. The tail is puggy, and that coat is incredibly similar to almost every fawn pug ever (with those white shoulder "stripes" or whatever you wanna call 'em). The face and ears are mostly chi, though.

Pughuahua? No, no, I think... Chug.

What a cute chug :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I have a client with a Cav/JRT who looks exactly like that.

I though that too, but looking at all manner of Cav/Terrier crosses didn't look at close as the Sheltie mix. She doesn't have a terrier temperament at all, she basically doesn't bark and is super low-energy.

Double Plus Good fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 17, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Double Plus Good posted:

Pughuahua? No, no, I think... Chug.

What a cute chug :3:

I though that too, but looking at all manner of Cav/Terrier crosses didn't look at close as the Sheltie mix. She doesn't have a terrier temperament at all, she basically doesn't bark and is super low-energy.

But shelties are barky and high energy....

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Ugh, I was hoping for guesses for something less embarrassing than Chihuahua, but Puguhuahuah is so much worse :saddowns:
The rescue had him listed as a Spitz/Chihuahua, I guess because of the pointy ears and curly tail.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

But shelties are barky and high energy....

Oh, I got my info from here because I've never actually owned a sheltie, so I don't really know from personal experience or anything. What I got from that is that they're intelligent and can be high-strung, but generally reserved. I have interacted with a few terriers and they just have this crazy go-go-go kind of energy that is unique to them, I think.

I would describe my mutt as timid, "soft" personality, sweet, very affectionate, low energy, quiet, seems to be very teachable, and really sensitive to correction (a stern "no!" is all it takes to stop her doing basically anything). Most of that may come from the Cav, but each dog is an individual and all that, so there's no telling.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Just got back from a vacation in Arkansas and I've got a ton more pictures of our mystery-probably-collie-maybe-chow-chow mutt, Jax. Here are some shots, not necessarily the best photos we took but I think they demonstrate best how he's growing and what he looks like from various angles. Mystery pup!

So that's Jax. Loves to destroy (not eat, just destroy) leaves/grass and carry around branches while leaping and headbutting people. The little dude has developed a serious enjoyment of headbutting people and objects.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I don't really see chow, mostly holy poo poo adorable. He is a leggy fellow.