Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

thebardyspoon posted:

What's a good way to learn this game then? Got it when it came out in the UK and haven't had a chance to properly dig into it yet, done one characters story mode up to the "to be continued" part, arcade mode as Chie and some of challenge mode for every character. Going online and getting worked is usually the suggestion for fighting games but I feel like there's some stuff I just don't really get that'll hinder me there. I did the lesson mode and it just tells me how to do stuff, doesn't really tell you why you would want to or what situation you would want to do it in. I guess that's probably obvious to some but to me it might as well be an alien language. It's the same with some of the command list stuff, it uses abbreviations I don't know and doesn't explain what those are anywhere.

What are the abbreviations and lesson mode terms you arent getting? Maybe one of us can help out with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

What are the abbreviations and lesson mode terms you arent getting? Maybe one of us can help out with that.

Lets say it's stuff like the reversal burst, max burst, hop, aerial turn, one more cancels and one more bursts. Those are things I can pull off in the lesson mode when it's telling me to but don't really know why or when I would need to in an actual fight. Maybe those are just things you sprinkle in once you've gotten the basics in.

It took me loving ages to do both of the cancel lessons as well. I was wrong about the command list though, looking at it just now on a few characters there was nothing I didn't understand how to pull off and I knew exactly what it all meant.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gutcruncher posted:

I personally still can't get what an 'oki' is. :v: Unless it's some fighting game term I'm unaware of.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I personally still can't get what an 'oki' is. :v: Unless it's some fighting game term I'm unaware of.

Loosely, poo poo that you do when you knock down the opponent. The SPECIFICS of what you'll want to do by character, but it's basically the positioning and/or moves you want to get into and use when you knock them down.

For example (he actually does this late, the knocked down char could have rolled out or done a super), in Jojo's Bizarre adventure, Jotaro can set up a 50/50 for the opponent that - with proper timing - he's basically unpunishable for*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2143TqKII (He knocks down, then sets up something for opponent's wakeup)

*guard cancel on Avdol or something aside

Fayk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 22, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Oki is short for okizeme which is a term that refers to when you're attacking somebody as they get up. Basically taking advantage of a knockdown state to apply pressure or mixups.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

thebardyspoon posted:

Lets say it's stuff like the reversal burst, max burst, hop, aerial turn, one more cancels and one more bursts. Those are things I can pull off in the lesson mode when it's telling me to but don't really know why or when I would need to in an actual fight. Maybe those are just things you sprinkle in once you've gotten the basics in.

It took me loving ages to do both of the cancel lessons as well. I was wrong about the command list though, looking at it just now on a few characters there was nothing I didn't understand how to pull off and I knew exactly what it all meant.

Reversal burst is the burst you use when you're being comboed. While your opponent is hitting you, hit burst to get out of the combo.

One More Cancel can be used to cancel an unsafe move(include supers) if you're getting blocked for 50 meter. It can also be used for combos.

One More Burst is for longer combos.

Hop is generally useless, however, if you're in the electrocuted status you can't jump, but you can hop.

Air turn is for when you jump over your opponent. When you crossover them, you are now facing away from them. Push air turn to face towards them again.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oki is just the term used for a mixup after your opponent has been knocked down.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...
Some extra stuff about bursting. After using a burst, it will come back after a set amount of time. The B at the top of the screen is actually a meter that shows how much it's charged. When you are starting out you will probably use reversal bursts more, one more cancel burst combos aren't exactly the easiest thing in the game. A good time to use a reversal burst is when you are hit by a combo that you think will kill you, yes that's kinda obvious. There is another factor to consider though, and that's bursting as your life goes down into awakening territory. You go into awakening around 35 percent health, so if you get hit by a combo and can burst around there(it will take some time to judge how much life it is on the screen), you will have escaped a combo that could have been deadly and gotten the advantages of awakening. When you are in awakening the damage you take drops by around 40-45 percent, so if you burst as close to 35 percent life as possible you will awaken with a lot of orange life and essentially given yourself more life to play the rest of the round out. And of course in awakening you'll get 50 more meter immediately and have access to your character's awakening super which can help.

High level players that get you in a combo they know will kill you will be watching your burst, if you have one or it's about to return they will be looking for you to burst so they can stop their combo and block it. If they do block it(it's called burst bait) you will be punished and probably die, because bursting has a long recovery time if it is blocked and you cannot do anything until you land.

Sometimes it's better to save your burst for the next round. Let's assume you are playing best out of three rounds and you won the first round. During the second round your opponent is kicking the crap out of you and has all their life, then hits you with a combo that can potentially kill you. Your first reaction might be to burst, but since the chances of you coming back aren't very good it could be better to let yourself die and take the burst with you to round 3.

I guess I'll add that aerial turn will make you recover slightly faster if you jump or airdash over your opponent. The difference is really small and nothing to worry about though. But the more you know or whatever.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
go ahead, ask any specific questions you might have.

You probably want to start by picking a main character and learning some basic movement and combos. You will see them in a notation like this: 2A 5AA 5B 2B 2A+B > 5DD for example. The numbers represent directions; they're the same as in a numpad.

meaning 2 would be ↓, 5 meaning neutral as in you dont press any directional buttons. A, B, C and D are the attack keys.
If you scroll this thread back a bit I've listed a basic guide for a few characters, with at least some basic tips and combos to learn. Check out my posts in this thread for all kind of other random information as well.

The best way to learn is to just play a lot and getting used to the game and just trying things out.
If you're completely new to fighting games, here's a few tips that you absolutely must know to be able beat anyone who's above the level of just blindly mashing buttons:
1) Block. I've never seen a newbie in a fighting game who doesn't block enough. It's better to block too much and see everything your opponent throws at you than never block at all. Assuming you're playing against someone close to your level, they will most likely have only one attack pattern of 3-5 attacks, after which you'll be a lot safer to jump, move somewhere or attack yourself. Especially when you eat a blow and get knocked down, hold block as you raise up, your opponent has the immediate advantage in this situation. You may try to use reversal action (B+D buttons) but if your opponent blocks or avoids it, you'll get punished very hard.
2) Watch your opponent's character, not your own. Preferably you'll try to get used to moving around and throwing attacks in training mode before playing against human opponents. In a real game, if you're not looking at the opponent you might as well not look at the screen. This is a really common mistake for new players.
3) Stay calm, don't mash buttons, only do things for a reason.

If I misunderstood and this much is obvious to you, the latter part of this post will be more useful to you.
Assuming you're interested in Chie as you mentioned you've tried her out, here's an example of what she can do with the mechanics you didn't understand:

reversal burst: This one is simple. You're being attacked by the opponent, you can blow him off and cease his combo by hitting a+c+d at the same time. You only have one burst though, and it'll take a while to recover it after using it. A good time to burst is when you hear Fatal Counter (or see the text), or otherwise a nasty looking counterhit, or when you just fall below 35% health and you're in the opponent's combo, or when you're just about to die.
max burst: If you use burst in a neutral state and it hits, you'll instantly regen full meter. This is actually fairly useful for Chie. Once she's in awakening mode, she can do 214124C for close meteros or 214214D for far away meteors. This is a really good move and basically just using this move will give you a free opening into pressuring the opponent. Say you have 100 or 150 meter, you can use 2 or 3 of these and they will do a lot of chip damage as well. After you're at 0 meter, you can try to run up to the opponent, jump and press A+C+D. If it hits, you'll be at 150 meter again and ready to use 3 more meteors.
b]one more burst[/b] You can extend combos by using up your burst mid combo. An example for this for chie is throw -> A+C+D -> 5C 236B 236B 5C 236B 236B 214C 236236D near the corner
hop: This one is mainly used against Kanji. If he hits you with his r-action, you get electrified and can't move or jump, and thus hop becomes your only way to avoid his command throws. The input for this is 2A+C
aerial turn: A+C midair to turn your character around. Aerial backdash is shorter than regular airdash for most characters, so this is a good tool for crossups. As chie, try jumping, hitting a+c and then 66 (or actually 44, since you just turned). You can actually do the input as 9a+c6 for a fast instant air forward-backdash. Hit j.b just as you cross over to the other side of your opponent.
one more cancels A+B+C to immediately cancel the recovery of an attack. Not only it extends combos (throw OMC 5C 236B 236B 236D for example), but it can also be used to make your moves safe (A+B, the overhead, very unsafe if blocked. Use OMC to make it safe if the opponent blocked it properly) or creating mixups (236a 236b normally hits first high then low. Cancel out just before the last attack, which is low, and do A+B instead to do a double overhead)

Okizeme is japanese. oki means getting up, seme means an attack, put together okizeme is a fighting game term which refers to an attack(pattern/mixup) on a knocked down opponent waking up.
In persona 4 arena good examples of okizeme are Chie 2A+B -> 5DD, Narukami 2A+B -> 5D and Labrys 2A+B -> 22A

[edit]
oh and sorry about the kuma guide, I don't think I'll finish it anytime soon. I've had very little motivation playing the character recently. I'm basically fully focused on Sanada right now.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This is the first Arksys game I've actually tried to learn. Would anybody mind posting some simple but effective Akihiko combos?

I mostly go in training and practice movement, and doing all the commands.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

JackDarko posted:

This is the first Arksys game I've actually tried to learn. Would anybody mind posting some simple but effective Akihiko combos?

I mostly go in training and practice movement, and doing all the commands.

I've had luck checking out the Dustloop forums for whatever character I'm interested in, there are usually some decent combo lists/guides for whoever you want.

Speaking of Dustloop though, I've run into a wall with a Chie combo I found there. I managed to finally start getting the timing down (most of the time) for pulling off an extra 5B/5C after launching someone with 236A 236A. But take one of the combos in the second post for example:
  • 2A > 5B > 5C > 236A > 236A > 5B > 5C > 236B > 236B > 5B > 5C > 214C > 236236D
Is it actually possible to get a super in after 214C (or 214D)? I've been trying this for a good 30 minutes now in training mode, and I'm not having any luck. I turned on air recovery for the practice dummy, and it looks like 214C/D basically allows the opponent to recover almost instantly after being hit. Rampage seems to stun the opponent pretty much until they're about to hit the floor in comparison and the game counts any supers/other continuations of the combo going off of that as unbroken, but I can enter God's hand in so fast that the game counts it as a super cancel and still can't get it to connect fast enough.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Is it actually possible to get a super in after 214C (or 214D)?

Yes, it's possible. The super cancel has to be reeeally fast, I personally can't do this combo whenever I want because I don't practice much. BUT if you have no problem doing that combo up until the last part you can always change it to this very similar combo that does 3810 damage(it is much much easier).

2A > 5B > 5C > 236A > 236A > 5B > 5C > 236B > 236B > 214D > 236236D

An even easier 2A starter "kill combo" that does around 3500 damage, yeah it sucks but almost no timing required! This one is basically corner oki stuff but going into god hand instead of sweep. Can be useful if you mindlessly go into a corner knockdown combo but realize you can kill with the added damage.

2A > 5B > 5C > 2B > 2C > 5B > 236A > 236A > 214D > 236236D

edit: These all assume you have around 50 meter just like the 4000 combo.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 30, 2013

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I still enjoy playing this game over XBL, and in theory I enjoy watching footage of pro players, but I just can't watch if it doesn't contain ample screen-shaking, roaring and maniacal laughter. I think I have a problem.

I couldn't find a .gif of Slab's victory, so have this 20-second youtube instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku60tt1XIJQ

Batigh fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 30, 2013

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Latte Lottie posted:

Yes, it's possible. The super cancel has to be reeeally fast, I personally can't do this combo whenever I want because I don't practice much.

Do you know of any videos of people pulling off 236A > 236A > 5B > 5C > 236B > 236B?

I thought I kinda had it, but it really is a gamble as to whether I can pull it off or not and I have no idea why. Reading that thread I know I should be delaying the 5C and the first 236B, but it's so strict that it feels like a crapshoot.

When I went online for a bit today, if I can remember to actually do my combos and not just panic and flail around on the controller, it looked like even if I do technically "drop" the combo so the game counts it as invalid I could still get the whole thing off on another human player. I think the response time to get out of it is probably too small unless I mess something up like pressing 5B after Rampage too early (which I do half the time anyway). Oh well, back to training mode!

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Do you know of any videos of people pulling off 236A > 236A > 5B > 5C > 236B > 236B?

I thought I kinda had it, but it really is a gamble as to whether I can pull it off or not and I have no idea why. Reading that thread I know I should be delaying the 5C and the first 236B, but it's so strict that it feels like a crapshoot.

When I went online for a bit today, if I can remember to actually do my combos and not just panic and flail around on the controller, it looked like even if I do technically "drop" the combo so the game counts it as invalid I could still get the whole thing off on another human player. I think the response time to get out of it is probably too small unless I mess something up like pressing 5B after Rampage too early (which I do half the time anyway). Oh well, back to training mode!

No, sorry I don't have a video of it. You could record yourself doing it in training mode if you want to look at it, but to be honest I don't think it would be too much help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyLxo6spf1c
I've never recorded a video before so you get this shaky iphone mess. The damage is lower because I guess the game insisted I pushed C.godhand when I def. pushed D. You can practice this by just doing C.Black Spot > D.God hand in the corner, it does work. It's just really annoying.

I usually delay my first skull cracker(second 236A) a little so that I can 5B them easier. Then I would leave a slight pause in between 5B and 5C to catch them with the 236B 236B. I know that's not much help, but just keep trying to find the timing by spacing things out differently. Once you get it down for good you should be able to do it offline whenever you want. This combo will drop almost all the time online, you can forget about it when you go to network mode. There's much better stuff to practice than converting some extra damage off a 2A when you play Chie, so a combo like this is kinda the last thing you worry about.

I think panicking and flailing around in a match is part of the process. A human player isn't a training dummy, there's many times where I would hit someone with a 2B counter, do something really weak and realize I reacted wrong. If you have new combos in your head and haven't put them to actual use expect to play like a spaz :)

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 30, 2013

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Combo question - I've been trying to find new combos for Slab to mix up my game some more, particularly things I can do while persona broken, and I found this video. For the life of me, I can't figure out what this guy does to make his target wallbounce out of the corner - whenever I try it, they just keep flying off to the side and tech quickly. What's the secret here? I can do this without the wallbounce just fine, but I lose out on ~500 damage, and being able to do the midscreen wallbounce in other situations would be pretty swell.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's been forever since I played, but my guess would be that the combo has to start with a Fatal Counter for that j.B to wallbounce like that.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Are there any figures for how this game is doing in the PAL/EU region?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's been forever since I played, but my guess would be that the combo has to start with a Fatal Counter for that j.B to wallbounce like that.

I just went into training and tried it on Chie on a hunch, and it worked easily, but the same thing won't work on a Narukami dummy. I can see how character-specific combos rely on quirky hitboxes, but why would some characters get the wallbounce and not others...? (Fatal counter 2B on both)

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Batigh posted:

I just went into training and tried it on Chie on a hunch, and it worked easily, but the same thing won't work on a Narukami dummy. I can see how character-specific combos rely on quirky hitboxes, but why would some characters get the wallbounce and not others...? (Fatal counter 2B on both)

If it doesn't work on Aigis/Labby, they could just be considering the character's weight.

edit: If that's the case it wouldn't be fair to Naoto and Yukiko, they have no HP.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2013

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
What's Chie vs. Akihiko supposed to play out like as Chie? I've run this set with my friend quite a bit, and since I'm still pretty bad, I'm getting rolled pretty often. I feel like I don't get much mileage out of my 5A and/or 2A compared to his, despite how good Chie's are. It's my understanding that my 2A can low profile his 5A fairly handily, but his 2A is giving me issues as well.

I realize it's pretty much a slugfest, and once he's down I run my oki bullshit without much trouble... but I'm getting shat on in the neutral/midscreen game much more than I probably should be. Any tips/resources?

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
apple/Bananaken had to face LK twice Winner's top 8 and Grand Finals at CEO and ended up losing both times :negative:

However he might have gotten the better second place trophy???

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

What I saw at the finals yesterday was some pretty fantastic play by everyone. Seriously great effort and very exciting matches from everyone. Great job guys (especially Ken).

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I played Ken a week or two before Evo and won more than I lost (at least against him)! Then I joined his twitch stream and found out he was incredibly drunk the whole time.

I hope the strong Evo showing translates into more presence for this game, but only time will tell.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Placed second in a local tournament today with Kanji. Thanks to Jmcrofts, Countblanc, and anyone else who gave me help with learning Kanji. We played round robin, and my friend beat me, that drat match kept me from getting first, but he ended up getting 4th. I can only hope to do better in the future. I started getting baited on DP's really easy, so I'm going to work to up my combos and confirms. Going back to the drawing board with my combos. My hit confirms were on point, but I was getting baited easily. I was 214D'ing Mitsuru's out of Coup. and out of Yu's of Raging Lion.

Zetta_Slow fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 14, 2013

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Are there any cool dude Labrys players that stream or are on streams regularly? I wanna see what she can do in the hands of pros and how to handle some match ups (Akihiko :argh: ).

Also does anyone play this in Australia? I'm keen to get smashed online after watching evo.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Jehuti posted:

Are there any cool dude Labrys players that stream or are on streams regularly? I wanna see what she can do in the hands of pros and how to handle some match ups (Akihiko :argh: ).

Also does anyone play this in Australia? I'm keen to get smashed online after watching evo.

If you can find videos of him, TectalEASTSIDE is a pretty great Labrys player.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dunno if it was a goon or a pubbie, but even after getting beat 5 straight games in a row (and a couple of others in matchmaking), the guy I was fighting sent me a message telling me to keep at it and keep improving.

It's little things like that that make me want to get better at this game :unsmith:

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Dunno if it was a goon or a pubbie, but even after getting beat 5 straight games in a row (and a couple of others in matchmaking), the guy I was fighting sent me a message telling me to keep at it and keep improving.

It's little things like that that make me want to get better at this game :unsmith:

Most of the XBL dudes left are pretty good mannered, a lot of the regulars are on my friends list now for when they feel like getting free AoAs.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Persona 4 Arena sequel confirmed, loketest starts tomorrow.

ArcSys is doing hella amounts of work what with Chronophantasma coming out in October, and Xrd coming out next year.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I don't even care what they do with it now that my boy Junpei is in.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Kinda surprising to only see Yukari/Junpei so far (Koromaru seemed like a shoe-in too) but good poo poo ArcSys.

Is Xrd confirmed for next year? Obviously it's in good shape considering the loctest but I was mentally ballparking it as 2015.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
The weird older redesign of P3 characters continues I see. Can't wait to see Junpei in action though.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

LightningKimba posted:

Persona 4 Arena sequel confirmed, loketest starts tomorrow.

ArcSys is doing hella amounts of work what with Chronophantasma coming out in October, and Xrd coming out next year.

Yes! Yes!!! Just add Koromaru and don't let Ken anywhere near this!

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yukari

Yukari what are you wearing

e: Haha, I can't even begin to imagine how that thing on Junpei's HUD will work.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Junpei is a janitor and Yukari looks like a toku character. Nice. Also looks like there's room for 2 more characters up there. I know my dreams for P3 FeMC are probably not going to work out, but I'd love a remix of Wiping All Out.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Looks like the standard 4 Persona cards per character has changed too. Elizabeth has 6, Teddie + Yukiko 5, Yu/Junpei/Yukari/Aigis have 4 and Yosuke only has 3.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

cronox2 posted:

Elizabeth has 6

Praise God.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I said this in the general thread, but there appears to be a new TV shaped indicator under the BURST gauge that shows your character's persona now. I could see that potentially meaning there'd be different persona choices for the characters, although I guess it could just be an aesthetic change, too.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
The lingering question is whether they've managed to go an entire revision without changing how bursts work. I predict that OMB will hard knockdown and replenish 25% health and defensive bursts will rewind time by three seconds on hit. These changes were necessary because of reasons.

E: Also taking sidebets on what they're going to do to Naoto and which character they will nerf the everliving gently caress out of for no discernible reason

Mio Bison fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Any word on whether this is going to continue the story or just expand it?

• Locked thread