Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah I've posted about this many times.

As soon as actual aliens show up, you need to stop making fun of the guy who has been claiming to be abducted by them.

Like they have a scene, after 15-mile-wide saucers are hovering over major cities, where people in a bar are laughing and mocking that 'crazy drunk' for insisting he has met aliens. Look up, gently caress lords.

But regardless of aliens existing or not, the dude is really crazy. And I think he's drunk on every minute of screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just because aliens exist doesn't mean every single kook claiming abduction is right.

I mean, these aliens don't seem interested in our buttholes at all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This happens in more than just films, but its gotten to the point where that whenever I hear a bad guy define a protagonist as "resourceful", I want to blow my brains out.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

Pook Good Mook posted:

Maybe I have a different viewpoint living in LA where in every third TV show and movie you notice something obvious.

Being from Seattle, I'm more bothered by everything set here than things filmed here. Off the top of my head, in fact, I can only think of one thing filmed here: 10 Things I Hate About You. Almost everything else set in Seattle is filmed in Vancouver, BC, and it's just so...flat. Seattle is all hill. Chronicle is set here and was filmed in South Africa, though.

The show John Doe had a point where someone was running from police that was "heading towards Mt. Rainier" on foot. That's more than 50 miles.

Also, if its raining, everyone in Seattle is shown with an umbrella, when only a quarter of people here have them.

EdibleBodyParts has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Aug 16, 2013

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

But regardless of aliens existing or not, the dude is really crazy. And I think he's drunk on every minute of screen time.

There is a 85 percent chance he got butt-invaded by aliens, if alcohol gets him through the day then got bless that hero.

Byzantine posted:

Just because aliens exist doesn't mean every single kook claiming abduction is right.

I mean, these aliens don't seem interested in our buttholes at all.

THE MOCKERY WAS NOT THAT NUANCED Byzantine. It didn't belong in the flow of the story. He was proven right in that aliens are interested and have been visiting earth. Even if it was a random wild guess, you don't still make fun of the guy that predicts some implausible scenario if it comes to pass, you should have bigger concerns. He had full license to start his own cult as 'the One who has met Them' and the cult followers would have been entirely justified in letting him marry their daughters.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that always bugged me about the Id4 ending was how they blowup the baseships. So the best way it to fire into the big blue cannon while it's open and preparing to fire. That's good and all, but the only time it's open is when it's hovering over a giant target about to get blown up. So if they stop the beam cannon, they still have a billlion ton space ship about to fall on top of their heads.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
Bad Internet connection gave me a double post, so I'll complain about Man of Steel. I haven't seen Michael Shannon in anything else, so I don't know if he always sounds like that, but the clenched teeth almost lisping way he talked drove me nuts.

EdibleBodyParts has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Aug 16, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The thing that always bugged me about the Id4 ending was how they blowup the baseships. So the best way it to fire into the big blue cannon while it's open and preparing to fire. That's good and all, but the only time it's open is when it's hovering over a giant target about to get blown up. So if they stop the beam cannon, they still have a billlion ton space ship about to fall on top of their heads.

There's a whole bad-movie-physics page about it but basically they don't even need the cannons. Just the atmospheric pressure underneath something that massive would be enough to obliterate everything it flies over -- and that's not even getting into the disastrous tidal effects of having something with a quarter the mass of the moon (the mothership) floating around in near Earth orbit. The aliens only needed to show up to completely ruin Earth's day.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

THE MOCKERY WAS NOT THAT NUANCED Byzantine.

The mockery was totally about butts. The rednecks in the bar even say so on live camera.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah I've posted about this many times.

As soon as actual aliens show up, you need to stop making fun of the guy who has been claiming to be abducted by them.

Like they have a scene, after 15-mile-wide saucers are hovering over major cities, where people in a bar are laughing and mocking that 'crazy drunk' for insisting he has met aliens. Look up, gently caress lords.

Not only that, but there is a crashed spaceship from 50 years ago sitting in an underground hanger, so the President and his entourage all know that the aliens have been watching us for a long time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I thought the point of the mockery in the story was primarily to establish that he's a drunk fuckup and to get you to feel bad for him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Nah it's made clear that the President wasn't told about the spaceship -- only the top wormy general and the people at Area 51 are aware of its existence. "Plausible deniability," they say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about all the abduction stuff is that according to a tie-in comic book released around the same time as the movie, yes, the aliens that invaded actually did abduct him years ago.

I was listening to a podcast the other day and they pointed out something that now bugs me about the movie. Namely that Vivica Fox being a stripper has absolutely no bearing on the plot or even her character. She could have had literally any other job and the character would have been exactly the same.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Being from Seattle, I'm more bothered by everything set here than things filmed here. Off the top of my head, in fact, I can only think of one thing filmed here: 10 Things I Hate About You. Almost everything else set in Seattle is filmed in Vancouver, BC, and it's just so...flat. Seattle is all hill. Chronicle is set here and was filmed in South Africa, though.

The show John Doe had a point where someone was running from police that was "heading towards Mt. Rainier" on foot. That's more than 50 miles.

Also, if its raining, everyone in Seattle is shown with an umbrella, when only a quarter of people here have them.

Arizona gets a similar treatment, as things are either filmed in California or New Mexico. New Mexico irritates me the most though as the aesthetics are close, but aren't quite right which veers into Uncanny Valley.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Even after we've beaten the aliens, almost all the major cities and their industry hage been destroyed. That's going to take loving decades to recover from.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
An issue was that the big final battle was sort of happening with just the resources Area 51 and other agencies had at their disposal at that moment.

Once the shields were proven to be down and stayed down, whatever military assets that still might be left could then be deployed more effectively, even if all the motherships stopped trying to fire their supergun.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I was entertained by Sin City but it didn't take me long to wonder if Frank Miller might have issues with women. Almost every single female character in it is either a prostitute, a stripper or just walks around in lingerie for no reason. I know action movies tend to objectify women but Sin City has to be the worst offender I've ever seen.

This isn't actually in the movie but I still can't believe that the guy who directed Commando doesn't get why people (including the cast of that movie) think that Bennett is gay. How could you watch this part and not notice it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JediTalentAgent posted:

An issue was that the big final battle was sort of happening with just the resources Area 51 and other agencies had at their disposal at that moment.

Once the shields were proven to be down and stayed down, whatever military assets that still might be left could then be deployed more effectively, even if all the motherships stopped trying to fire their supergun.
Nuclear weapons could possibly work, the one time a nuke was attempted was over an evacuated Dallas and the shields still worked.

But yeah, many many major cities were destroyed and more would be damaged in the ensuing fights, humanity is hosed for a good long time.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Celery Face posted:

I was entertained by Sin City but it didn't take me long to wonder if Frank Miller might have issues with women.

Hello understatement of the century, almost everything Miller has ever written is like this. To Miller all cities are like women and all women are whores it's kinda his thing.

Edit: Also he unironically wrote the words, "I'm the goddamn Batman." He's classy like that.

LeafyOrb has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Aug 16, 2013

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I was entertained by Sin City but it didn't take me long to wonder if Frank Miller might have issues with women. Almost every single female character in it is either a prostitute, a stripper or just walks around in lingerie for no reason. I know action movies tend to objectify women but Sin City has to be the worst offender I've ever seen.

I loved Sin City when it came out. Mostly because I was a dumb teenager it's a really 'cool' movie on an entirely superficial level. I watched it again a recently after not seeing it for a long time and noticed all of that stuff you mentioned. It was a disappointing experience.

I've also only recently learned that Frank Miller is a pretty bad person.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

Edit: Also he unironically wrote the words, "I'm the goddamn Batman." He's classy like that.
I looked that up and Batman used the word, "retarded" in the same panel.:psyduck: He's also the guy who turned Catwoman into a hooker, isn't he?

tnimark posted:

Mostly because I was a dumb teenager
Now that I think of it, Miller loves pandering to those kinds of people. I heard that Xerxes from 300 was played up as a gay stereotype who got up in the main character's personal space to creep out the dumb teenage boys who watched the movie. Seriously, Xerxes makes Raoul Sliva from Skyfall look subtle. Except that Sliva's actually bi, which reminds me, there aren't many bisexual characters in movies, but when there are, it's usually a something used to make the creepy bad guys even creepier.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Aug 16, 2013

Lofn
Jan 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

You're either completely lacking in human empathy or you didn't watch the movie. Barbara does nothing to help because she's traumatized by witnessing her brother being murdered in front of her then getting up and trying to eat her alive.

I watched the movie so I guess it must be the first option. She needed to get over it and grab a hammer and some nails PRONTO.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Also, regardless of the fact that aliens had invaded, their first priority probably wouldn't be a drunk redneck's rear end in a top hat decades prior to the invasion via giant megaships. Or they didn't spend enough time in there to learn the true strength of the human American spirit.

I mean these guys got hacked by a Powerbook and that wasn't even when Jobs was on the job.

And yes, Randy Quaid is legit crazy please don't pick on the mentally ill.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I'll admit that I loved Transformers when it came out (I was eleven) but I was always weirded out at the part where Sam makes out with his girlfriend on top of Bumblebee while he's a car. Poor Bumblebee. Also, wouldn't it have been easier for the Decepticons to place a bid on ebay for the glasses instead of sending a giant robot cop car to interrogate Sam where people could see.

If Buzz Lightyear seriously thought that he was not a toy, but a space ranger then why did he still freeze whenever humans came around.

How come Julianne Moore's character in Jurassic Park 2 is so stupid even though she's a scientist and supposed to be really smart. She walks around with the baby t-rex's blood on her jacket, she brings the noisy thing back to her trailer, which attracts the parents and she goes right up to a baby stegosaurus, then its parents almost kill her.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Aug 16, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tnimark posted:

I loved Sin City when it came out. Mostly because I was a dumb teenager it's a really 'cool' movie on an entirely superficial level. I watched it again a recently after not seeing it for a long time and noticed all of that stuff you mentioned. It was a disappointing experience.

Sin City has aged pretty roughly and Frank Miller is a terrible human being, but it still deserves a lot of credit for being a pretty influential movie in cinema. Not just for kicking off the greenscreen craze but also just for generally pushing digital over film and showing how versatile digital effects like color grading were becoming.

I think it's more baffling how nearly a decade later Rodriguez' movies still look just as rough despite all the leaps in technology and his own success. I know that a big part of his persona is how indie and self-made he is (nevermind that El Mariachi only got made because of family connections and his ability to get a lot of poo poo for free is why the price tag was so low) but the whole "it's intentionally bad, it's grindhouse! :jerkbag:" thing wore out half a Machete ago.

Celery Face posted:

I looked that up and Batman used the word, "retarded" in the same panel.:psyduck: He's also the guy who turned Catwoman into a hooker, isn't he?

Now that I think of it, Miller loves pandering to those kinds of people. I heard that Xerxes from 300 was played up as a gay stereotype who got up in the main character's personal space to creep out the dumb teenage boys who watched the movie. Seriously, Xerxes makes Raoul Sliva from Skyfall look subtle. Except that Sliva's actually bi, which reminds me, there aren't many bisexual characters in movies, but when there are, it's usually a something used to make the creepy bad guys even creepier.

There's a pretty legit reading that the film treatment of 300 is just one giant troll designed to make the "bomb Saddam OORAH" crowd root for literal baby-killers among other things, in that context having the villain be menacingly homosexual while the move itself is ridiculously homoerotic with its portrayal of the Spartans is pretty funny.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Celery Face posted:

It used to be that literally the only time you'd see a gay dude in a serious movie was as a creepy character or just a straight up villain. It's kind of a lovely holdover from that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It used to be that literally the only time you'd see a gay dude in a serious movie was as a creepy character or just a straight up villain. It's kind of a lovely holdover from that.

Making villains gay used to be a cheap, bigoted way to make them more evil and creepy. Now it's a cheap, bigoted way to make them more complicated and "important". Progress!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

I was listening to a podcast the other day and they pointed out something that now bugs me about the movie. Namely that Vivica Fox being a stripper has absolutely no bearing on the plot or even her character. She could have had literally any other job and the character would have been exactly the same.

God drat it. Now that's going to bother me when I watch it too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Celery Face posted:

If Buzz Lightyear seriously thought that he was not a toy, but a space ranger then why did he still freeze whenever humans came around.

When in Rome.

When a giant building-sized local life form approaches you, and it appears like playing dead keeps them from eating you, you do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

negative x posted:

That intersection is used in The Untouchables for another irrationally irratating moment: Ness' gang leaves the police station on LaSalle Street (same exact location) and get in their car to bust a secret bootlegging operation. After a long car ride with a lot of dialogue, they arive at, you guessed it THE SAME EXACT PLACE (albeit at a slightly different angle).

Similarly in the film Hard Target (a Jean Claude Van Damme adapatation of the Most Dangerous Game and Jon Woo's american directoral debut) the villains tell the guy they are going to chase that if he can get to the other side of New Orleans he'll be free to go. So off he hurridely runs and is chased by men on motorcycles except we're now in a cemetary on the other side of the river. In the very next cut they have teleported again back across the mississippi river and are now running through Bourbon street. Buddy, you might not be so tired if you didn't swim the mississippi twice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

There's a scene in Iron Man 3 where the protagonist is reconstructing a crime scene. He's using his magic computer to generate this complex 3D hologram of what happened, enhancing, zooming, all these ridiculous things. Fine. Whatever. It's a movie.

But the crucial clue is what some character was pointing at. The protagonist figures it out by extrapolating the vector of his fingers until he reaches the macguffin. Except that's not how people point. Your somatic nervous system isn't accurate enough to point like that, when you point at something the vector is through your eye to the tip of your finger, not from the base of your finger to the point.

Totally unrealistic. Ripped me right out of the experience.
I realize this is the irrationally irritating movie moments thread, but if it took you until the third Iron Man movie for Tony's computers to ruin your immersion/sense of realism, I don't know what to tell you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Midniter posted:

God drat it. Now that's going to bother me when I watch it too.

I know, right? Like it isn't even for prurient reasons since the movie is PG-13 and even in the one scene where she's stripping it isn't even played as being overly sexy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I know, right? Like it isn't even for prurient reasons since the movie is PG-13 and even in the one scene where she's stripping it isn't even played as being overly sexy.

It just seemed to be there for cheap jokes, like when the first lady asked her what she did and why Will Smith could not marry her.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dr_Amazing posted:

Didn't they actually do this though? They definitely followed a line from both his finger and his eyes. I thought they were just seeing where the finger line crossed the eye line, but either way they still should have found the dog tags.

When they're foreshadowing it, they show the blurry vision and hand, but in the re-created crime scene it's a straight line out of his index and middle fingers. I saw it in theaters, hopefully by the time it's on DVD/netflix they'll have corrected this gross oversight.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I realize this is the irrationally irritating movie moments thread, but if it took you until the third Iron Man movie for Tony's computers to ruin your immersion/sense of realism, I don't know what to tell you.

The problem isn't the computers or any of their shown capabilities. The problem is the computer's operator extrapolating incorrectly and still getting the right answer.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

JawnV6 posted:

When they're foreshadowing it, they show the blurry vision and hand, but in the re-created crime scene it's a straight line out of his index and middle fingers. I saw it in theaters, hopefully by the time it's on DVD/netflix they'll have corrected this gross oversight.

The problem isn't the computers or any of their shown capabilities. The problem is the computer's operator extrapolating incorrectly and still getting the right answer.

Jarvis saw that Stark was making a mistake so auto-corrected without letting him know he'd hosed up.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fellowship Of The Ring:

Where did Bill the Pony come from? He's not with Frodo and Sam when they leave The Shire or when they leave Rivendell and they dont show him in the mountain pass or whereever they were when Sarumon's crows fly over. He just shows up at the Gates of Moria, then got sent off.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Celery Face posted:

If you were sent to a planet where giants are thundering around you'd probably try to lay low too.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Celery Face posted:

I guess the "Do like the locals do, to avoid getting killed by giants" thing flies for me. Although it does make me think that they practically could have based an entirely new Toy Story movie around the premise of a toy inadvertently or even intentionally wanting to expose their existence of being alive. Like breaking the Masquerade in Vampire:tM.

I'm kind of wondering what the big deal about this as. Maybe I don't remember the movie too well, but I figured the stripper thing was just kind of a detail about her as a character that might not have mattered too much? Other than maybe contributing as to why Will Smith was waiting so long to marry her, maybe.

I guess I'm just not sure why "having a job people would raise their noses at" and having it not be plot-centric or the movie premise is a big movie irritation.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Midnight Raider posted:

I guess I'm just not sure why "having a job people would raise their noses at" and having it not be plot-centric or the movie premise is a big movie irritation.

I think it's more the feeling that it was "let's make her a stripper so we can show a short gratuitous sexy clip in what is otherwise purely an action/intrigue movie" without having it even matter. Not about it being a job someone would raise their nose at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm kind of wondering what the big deal about this as. Maybe I don't remember the movie too well, but I figured the stripper thing was just kind of a detail about her as a character that might not have mattered too much? Other than maybe contributing as to why Will Smith was waiting so long to marry her, maybe.

It's not just that it's not plot-centric, it's that it is centric to absolutely nothing. The fact that she's a stripper doesn't change anything we see on screen. As far as I can remember it's mentioned twice -- the First Lady gets embarrassed and goes "oh, that's nice", end of scene with no further references; and it's implied (maybe stated? I don't remember) that Will Smith hasn't married her because being married to a stripper would ruin his shot at a NASA career. Except that Will Smith got a rejection letter in the locker room despite not being married to a stripper, so the details of his personal life don't actually matter to his wanting to get into space (and at the end he gets into space regardless). Yes, there's a hint of some kind of coherent plot thread there, but it's not actually depicted logically in the film so the characters' motivations don't make sense.

As to why it should be cut instead of just left in as more random development for Vivica A. Fox's character -- because scenes that don't actually affect the film in any way are a waste of time that could be better used showing something important. That's the entire point of editing.

• Locked thread