Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also the ATMs there carry several denominations of bills so get 1900 or whatever baht a shot instead of 2000 and things get easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
If this is another drat Chinese tour.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Now passing through Mos Eisley. Small bills relevant.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

For Malaysia just change some money to local currency. Use money changers for better rates but there are ATMs in abundance in the major cities so there really is no issue with withdrawing cash. There isn't much need to use dollars at all and people will look at you weird if you try to use them outside of tourist attractions.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I have 110,000,000 dongs in cash to change to Euro before tomorrow, ugh.

Senso fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 16, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also the ATMs there carry several denominations of bills so get 1900 or whatever baht a shot instead of 2000 and things get easier.
The ATMs I found in Siem Reap spit out $100 bills. WTF am I going to do with a Benjamin when dinner costs $3?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Fu posted:

The ATMs I found in Siem Reap spit out $100 bills. WTF am I going to do with a Benjamin when dinner costs $3?

Dinner plus two AKs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wisdom: My guy at Poipet got me front seat in a Lexus SUV taxi to PNH for 1,000. So, going rate for one seat in a share taxi all the way to PNH is probably about 800-1200.

Why am I not flying? Adventure and stupidity. I'll fly back.

EDIT: Turns out the appropriate amount for the ride was $20-25, so I guessed right that I overpaid by a bit.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 17, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I tend to withdraw the equivalent to USD$100 at a time. It lasts me a couple of days and helps me to stick to my budget :)

Use Aeon ATMs in Thailand, they're a bit hard to find but they don't charge a 150 baht fee that every other ATM does for foreign cards. You can break big bills at BTS stations, I've done it with 1000 baht notes and they'll give you 900 in 100 baht notes and the rest in 10 baht coins, no purchase necessary.

Canadia ATMs in Cambodia also have no fees. They also like to spit out big bills so do what Sheep Goats suggested and take out like $90 instead of $100. Use the $50/100 bills to pay for your hotel or march into a bank to make change.

If there's a sign posted about where to go/who to call when the ATM eats the card, don't use it and find another ATM. Try to stick with using ATMs front of banks if you're worried about card eating so you can go in and demand they free your card. I think Laos is pretty bad about card-eating, I had my card eaten once and had to take a tuk tuk to the bank office (there was a sign posted by the ATM) to pick up my card the next day.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Saint Fu posted:

Hit up a market place frequented by the locals and look for the goldsmiths and jewel sellers. They double as money-changers for the locals.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Senso posted:

"One hundred and ten million dongs" is never going to not be fun to say.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Has anyone here ever been to Gunung Mulu National Park in Malaysian Borneo? I met a few travelers a week or two ago that mentioned it to me, but I was wondering if anyone here knew any good details about it. I know the best way to get there is to fly in, but the 12 hour boat option sounds like it could be fun one way. We'll be going at the very beginning of October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunung_Mulu_National_Park

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Oh hey, I'm right by that right now in Kuching. I'm sick as a dog but if I recover quickly, I might go check it out.

Ferries doesn't seem to be a viable option for transport to East Malaysia and with the fare wars between Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines, flying is dirt cheap.

Being sick in a place where you have limited time is the worst :( I just changed my flight back to KL so I'd have 5 more days in Borneo. It's really pretty and if you like cats, you'll like Kuching :3:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Senso posted:

Were you getting paid in cash? I don't think even Vietnamese keep that much in dong.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I asked my Sarawakian friends about getting the boat across (from Peninsular to Borneo) once and they laughed at me.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Smeef posted:

Were you getting paid in cash? I don't think even Vietnamese keep that much in dong.

No I emptied my bank account. Transferred part of it to my Canadian account and took the rest in cash. I left 4 million in it just to keep the account open without having monthly charges because let's face it, everybody here is convinced that I will be back in a few months.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Saint Fu posted:

If I'm in a bar (and I am frequently) the rule is simple. Air conditioning? I'm breaking a $100 for a 75 cent beer, even if I've got millions of dollar bills. No AC, just a fan? Break a fifty. Shack by the side of the road selling cans out of a coolbox for 25 cents each? Wave the equivalent of well over a months profit in their face Use your riel.

But yeh, expecting change of $5 for a $1 tuk tuk journey is optimistic in the extreme, so make sure you've got lots and lots of ones.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I just want to bump my old question. I'm not used to traveling without planning everything 100% so I'm a little worried.

I'll be on Koh Tao from September 1st to the 7th. I was going to only book the first night in a hostel (on some friend's advice) and try and find better accommodation then next days at different beaches. Is this a bad plan? Is it still busy season? Everywhere I've read says that the busy season is getting longer and longer on Koh Tao. I just don't want to be getting stuck in some lovely places.

Also anyone have any good recommendations to stay? I'm not diving so I don't want to stay at a dive resort.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Aero737 posted:

I just want to bump my old question. I'm not used to traveling without planning everything 100% so I'm a little worried.

I'll be on Koh Tao from September 1st to the 7th. I was going to only book the first night in a hostel (on some friend's advice) and try and find better accommodation then next days at different beaches. Is this a bad plan? Is it still busy season? Everywhere I've read says that the busy season is getting longer and longer on Koh Tao. I just don't want to be getting stuck in some lovely places.

Also anyone have any good recommendations to stay? I'm not diving so I don't want to stay at a dive resort.

Everywhere is busy at the moment. I am 100% certain that people will be sleeping on the beach tonight - not because they are drunk, but because they simply won't have anywhere else to stay. The isn't isn't the busiest I've seen it, but it's not far from it. It will get busier in the lead up to the full moon party (August 21) and stay busy for a week or so afterwards, possibly longer.

There's no compelling reason to stay outside Sairee or Chalok - the other places have beaches but are completely boring, or don't have beaches but have a pier.

What's your nightly budget?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Sorry to be late to boat chat, but I was confused as gently caress when I went to Bangkok. At the big pier on the southern end (Sathorn something?), I managed to avoid the tourist boat once by taking an orange flag. The next time I took the boat, I went to the pier on the right (the tourist one was the pier on the left), and the boat literally never left. Was I doing it wrong or something?

On the topic of transportation chat, for those of you who don't want to take a taxi from DMK airport, there's a bus (1a) that leaves from the front of the airport(just walk outside and don't cross the street) and goes to Mo Chit MRT for like 25 baht.

Should be headed back to SE Asia for a couple months in October. Stoked!

While I'm at it, I'll ask a trekking question: I'll be going solo, so are trekking companies usually cool with pairing individuals up with groups? I'd rather not have to pay the full cost of the trek myself, and plus it'd be cool to do it with others. Is Mae Hong Son still the best spot in Thailand to do it? Also, I met a dude last time who said he had an awesome time trekking in Laos. I forgot to ask him where specifically, so do any of you guys have experience with it? And has anyone traveled in Isan? From what I've heard, it's very much worth visiting despite being off the radar somewhat.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 16, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I remember quite a few tour companies having a minimum number for a tour or discounts if more people go. You might get lucky and find a group leaving when you want to go, I saw one in Laos that had a whiteboard outside with departures and etc. But you have to hope that other people will want to do the same stuff as you so I wouldn't count on it. Just try to stir up interest at your hostel if you don't want to go alone.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT EDIT: Also, my problem is that while I meet and greet a lot of people and try to talk to rural folks and things, the majority of my contact is with educated Bangkokians, so I don't know all the truly insane poo poo that goes on. Any wisdom about crazy poo poo that rural people do in Texas I'm good on, but in Thailand, I'm just not as informed at all. Mothra surely knows more, even given his shorter stay.

I dunno, man, the guy who sells boxes of wine-coolers-that-might-not-be-wine-coolers draped in Christmas lights out of his pickup truck at night still vexes me. Note to self: solve mystery. That and the fact that, despite being rural Thailand, there's still a late-night club that can give Chiang Mai's Spicy a run for its skeezy money, as well as a "Cowboy & Indian" Thai steakhouse. Not too different from Texas in some ways, after all.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Finch! posted:

Everywhere is busy at the moment. I am 100% certain that people will be sleeping on the beach tonight - not because they are drunk, but because they simply won't have anywhere else to stay. The isn't isn't the busiest I've seen it, but it's not far from it. It will get busier in the lead up to the full moon party (August 21) and stay busy for a week or so afterwards, possibly longer.

There's no compelling reason to stay outside Sairee or Chalok - the other places have beaches but are completely boring, or don't have beaches but have a pier.

My friends are going to Koh Phanghan (or whatever its called) for the Full Moon Party. No accommodation booked, only a very rough idea of transport from Cambodia, etc. They are all desperate for me to go (obviously, I'm loving awesome) but I'm not remotely interested. As I was in Koh Samui a couple of weeks ago I know its a complete rip off compared to Cambodia, or infact the rest of Thailand, and I don't want to be spending British prices for things when I'm not in Britain. They're going for a week and I might as well just go back home for a week, spend less money and have a better time.

I'm not really asking a question here, just venting. The problem is that although I'm the most laid back traveler ever I am pretty drat good at organising transport and accommodation and as far as I can tell the route from Siem Riep to the islands is long and expensive, and staying on Koh Phanghan during the Full Moon Party without pre-booking is virtually impossible and, if it is possible at all, also very expensive.

I'm just worried about my friends because they're going to end up sleeping on the beach and they won't have me to look after them. And I'm the kind of person who walks onto airplanes whilst off my tits on morphine shortly after ejaculating into a plastic tub, so I don't exactly have the highest calibre of friends...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tomato Soup posted:

Oh hey, I'm right by that right now in Kuching. I'm sick as a dog but if I recover quickly, I might go check it out.

Ferries doesn't seem to be a viable option for transport to East Malaysia and with the fare wars between Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines, flying is dirt cheap.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. We actually bought our tickets from KL to Borneo - we'll be there from 10/1 to 10/9. I just meant getting to Gunung Mulu National Park from Miri/Kota Kinabalu - they recommend you fly, but they say that taking the boat up the river is an option.

Anyway, I'd definitely appreciate any information about it. Thanks.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

duckmaster posted:

My friends are going to Koh Phanghan (or whatever its called) for the Full Moon Party. No accommodation booked, only a very rough idea of transport from Cambodia, etc. They are all desperate for me to go (obviously, I'm loving awesome) but I'm not remotely interested. As I was in Koh Samui a couple of weeks ago I know its a complete rip off compared to Cambodia, or infact the rest of Thailand, and I don't want to be spending British prices for things when I'm not in Britain. They're going for a week and I might as well just go back home for a week, spend less money and have a better time.

I'm not really asking a question here, just venting. The problem is that although I'm the most laid back traveler ever I am pretty drat good at organising transport and accommodation and as far as I can tell the route from Siem Riep to the islands is long and expensive, and staying on Koh Phanghan during the Full Moon Party without pre-booking is virtually impossible and, if it is possible at all, also very expensive.

I'm just worried about my friends because they're going to end up sleeping on the beach and they won't have me to look after them. And I'm the kind of person who walks onto airplanes whilst off my tits on morphine shortly after ejaculating into a plastic tub, so I don't exactly have the highest calibre of friends...

I wouldn't say its UK prices, I was spending about 800baht (£15) a day on Koh Phangan around the FMP. That breaking down as about 400baht on 2 buckets with 350ml whiskey in each at night and then 400baht on food/beers during the day. About another 1000baht (£20) a night on my room but that was a shared double room, with AC, 500m from the beach. Seemed reasonable I thought - £35 a day for a private room with AC, a 2min walk to the beach and a decent days food and heavy nights boozing each night. It is sleazy, and full of dodgy guys and all that but its still definitely a fun experience I'd recommend trying once. The 2-3 nights running up to the FMP are better than the FMP itself actually - slightly less manic but still busy.

On the accommodation you're fairly right though. If they don't book anywhere in advance they'll probably have to stay miles away from the FMP beach (Haad Rin) in crappy hotels. They'd be way better off sorting somewhere in advance.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

xcdude24 posted:

Sorry to be late to boat chat, but I was confused as gently caress when I went to Bangkok. At the big pier on the southern end (Sathorn something?), I managed to avoid the tourist boat once by taking an orange flag. The next time I took the boat, I went to the pier on the right (the tourist one was the pier on the left), and the boat literally never left. Was I doing it wrong or something?

On the topic of transportation chat, for those of you who don't want to take a taxi from DMK airport, there's a bus (1a) that leaves from the front of the airport(just walk outside and don't cross the street) and goes to Mo Chit MRT for like 25 baht.

Should be headed back to SE Asia for a couple months in October. Stoked!

While I'm at it, I'll ask a trekking question: I'll be going solo, so are trekking companies usually cool with pairing individuals up with groups? I'd rather not have to pay the full cost of the trek myself, and plus it'd be cool to do it with others. Is Mae Hong Son still the best spot in Thailand to do it? Also, I met a dude last time who said he had an awesome time trekking in Laos. I forgot to ask him where specifically, so do any of you guys have experience with it? And has anyone traveled in Isan? From what I've heard, it's very much worth visiting despite being off the radar somewhat.

In Thailand Mae Hong Son is definitely the best place to trek from. I'm sure there's great trekking in Laos but I don't know where. Probably anywhere near a border.

It's easy / standard to join another group on their trek. You book it, if necessary wait a day or two for enough other people to sign on, and go as a group.

I've traveled in Issan. It's okay, good if you have Thai people to go there with / to or if you're good at meeting people on the go. It's harder to find big attractions and you end up doing more "oh hey this farmer is offering me fried bugs from his farm I guess I'll eat 'em" and less "Destination X, I Have Arrived!" Also Issan is better if you have a car / your own transport. Most of Issan's landscape and structures are less photogenic than the rest of Thailand, just narrow your focus to the people and their tools and smaller things and the visuals become awesome again.

Like visiting the country back home really.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 17, 2013

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Finch! posted:

I'm thinking more and more that I'll only stay on Koh Tao two or three days, and then head to a different island. It doesn't seem like there is much to do there that isn't diving. I'm looking for something in the range of around 1000 Baht a night.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MothraAttack posted:

I dunno, man, the guy who sells boxes of wine-coolers-that-might-not-be-wine-coolers draped in Christmas lights out of his pickup truck at night still vexes me. Note to self: solve mystery. That and the fact that, despite being rural Thailand, there's still a late-night club that can give Chiang Mai's Spicy a run for its skeezy money, as well as a "Cowboy & Indian" Thai steakhouse. Not too different from Texas in some ways, after all.
Yeah, more Asians, I guess.

Bloodnose posted:

"One hundred and ten million dongs" is never going to not be fun to say.
Agree.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm so hungover that I can't feel my face

I genuinely hope this helps

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Aero737 posted:

I'm thinking more and more that I'll only stay on Koh Tao two or three days, and then head to a different island. It doesn't seem like there is much to do there that isn't diving. I'm looking for something in the range of around 1000 Baht a night.

drinking and getting laid (easily, and with people far better looking than you'd normally have any chance with)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Anyone know the latest on Koh Samet? I'm thinking now might be a good time to go when it's void of people so I can have the oily beaches to myself.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'm becoming increasingly interested in the Vietnamese ladies of the night who cater to the French. Like why the French, picked the language I'm high school? Found a niche to fill? I also expected there to be a lot more tension about the French.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Senso posted:

Man I don't even think he has a phone yet, I have one for him but I keep missing him. We use FB to communicate.
PLAY READ THIS THREAD.

Sorry guys, I've been finishing my CELTA and also engaging in partying that defies all description. If anyone wants to add my on facebook send an email to robertjamesh at gmail dot com and I'll give you my facebook name. I will be glad to try and show people a good time but be warned we sometimes go kind of hard. Right now I'm still pretty busy looking for a job/apartment/motorbike/cell phone but like I said feel free to email and I will try to play host to the best extent I can, which may be quite a bit or may be not at all whatsoever.

edit: during the full moon party I was paying 150 Baht for a DOUBLE room. If you are okay with riding the motorbike to the other side of the island for the actual party (or better yet taking a taxi) Ko Phangan is nothing whatsoever like british prices unless you're a snob who needs really nice things.

Senso posted:

No I emptied my bank account. Transferred part of it to my Canadian account and took the rest in cash. I left 4 million in it just to keep the account open without having monthly charges because let's face it, everybody here is convinced that I will be back in a few months.

YOU WILL BE. Saigon is a black hole full of dirty amazing things from which no one ever truly escapes

Play fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 18, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Learned how to ride a scooter today. Lady friend didn't want to drive so she gave it to me. First task, into the craziest roundabout. How long until the motorbiking here isn't an intensely stressful experience? Still tense.

At the Korean departure gate and most everyone has giant boxes like bigger than largest suitcase size. Customs better not care about my oranges or I would have just gotten myself a person size box. I guess they are mostly Vietnamese. Is this how my Vietnamese grocery store is stocked?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Going to Vietnam in November for 2 weeks, planning on travelling from Saigon to Hanoi and then catching an internal flight back down again. I noticed you can get a flight from Hanoi to Phu Quoc island - this is appealing because it means I can travel back to Saigon through the Mekong Delta which I've heard is awesome. Even with the flight, I'm worried that I'll be pushing my luck with the time that I have. Is the island / Mekong worth it or shall I just spend more time in the north and flight straight back to Saigon?

npn
Mar 7, 2006

DontAskKant posted:

Is this how my Vietnamese grocery store is stocked?
Not so much groceries, more like iPhones.

You'll get used to the traffic pretty quick. Just forget any idea of having 'right of way' and you can't get into too much trouble.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Play posted:

YOU WILL BE. Saigon is a black hole full of dirty amazing things from which no one ever truly escapes

I am now in some hotel room in southern France. gently caress, the French are annoying! It's a beautiful city but I feel so sad of leaving. Can't say I didn't shed a tear in the plane. And everything is so goddamn expensive! Argh!

Except the wine. I'm gonna go get drunk on $3 wine bottles.

Senso fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 18, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I will monitor the thread periodically to watch everything go wrong with Senso in France that went right in Vietnam. Going to wake up without his phone this time for sure.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Everything is closed on a Sunday. It's somehow still trendy for girls to shave a side of their head. I just paid 5 euros for a panini. Can't even smoke in my own hotel room, let alone anywhere else. Women with the Asian Woman build are actually 14. No touts but homeless punks keep asking me for change. So many fat people or just plain ugly who think they're princesses. The cops are actually threatening. 60 euros for a hotel room with no AC. Nobody to go out with.
JESUS CHRIST! At least I will see my son tomorrow or else I would just go back immediately. And then I'll most likely move to a boringly boring old city and will complain even more.

Fun part: turning the faucet, drinking the water, repeat. Wow I forgot about that luxury.

Senso fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I made sure to drink from as many water fountains I could while in Singapore because gently caress, I'm not going to see another one until I go back home.

Ended up changing my flight so I would have more time in Borneo, any suggestions for Sarawak? I'm in Kuching now and I'd like to check out another place here before I go off to Brunei. Was thinking Miri since I'd need to go there to get the bus to Bandar Seri Begawan anyway. Sabah suggestions would be good too, my flight is out of Kota Kinabalu. A nice beach would be really nice.