Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lava Lamp posted:

I gagged a little bit upon seeing that and then thought of another "I can't believe I ate that as a kid" candy:

totally awesome to a kid, though that picture looks a little obscene.

Yeah the tip of the container couldn't be more phallic without that one bit that I can't think of and then got on wikipedia before quickly realizing I was an idiot for looking at a bunch of exhibitionists posing as encyclopedia makers. :cry:

On an semi-related note (to sugary crap from the nineties) I have a frozen otter pop chilling in my mini-fridge of questionable temperature and am going to the enjoy it shortly.

Wanamingo posted:

Hah, I remember that too. Between that and the bubble tape I think Hubba Bubba made the worst of the 90s candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yMbNWrjt4

But the best commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Cromulent posted:

As a kid that commercial annoyed me, because his name is Rocky D but his varsity jacket says "BR"

Maybe it's supposed to stand for brontosaurus? You know, the dinosaur that it's clearly not?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

The 90's sure did have a lot of weird, "gimmick" candy (though for all I know, so did the 2000's and today, and I'm just too old to notice.)

For gimmick candy you can't look past Japan.

Japanese toilet candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPLl8gHPFAY

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Radio Help posted:

Maybe it's supposed to stand for brontosaurus? You know, the dinosaur that it's clearly not?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to stand for Brach's Rocks. You know, the candy being advertised?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
No way, man. Rocky D straight up hates brontosauruses so much he killed one and stole its varsity jacket.

People are always saying "Man 90's cartoons were so great because they were secretly so dark!!" and now I believe them.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Larry Horseplay posted:

What mall is that? It's definitely in Chicago or the suburbs from the display, but I can't place it.

Man for a second I was certain it was Fox Valley but now I'm second-guessing myself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lava Lamp posted:

I gagged a little bit upon seeing that and then thought of another "I can't believe I ate that as a kid" candy:

loving hell, I went back and bought one of those for nostalgia sake. Hey I have a job and I can buy whatever candy I want! Mom can't say no! Then I start eating it and think "Oh god why did I ever eat this as a kid it tastes like plastic"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leal posted:

loving hell, I went back and bought one of those for nostalgia sake. Hey I have a job and I can buy whatever candy I want! Mom can't say no! Then I start eating it and think "Oh god why did I ever eat this as a kid it tastes like plastic"

I think you're supposed to squeeze out the contents and just eat that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurboTax posted:

I remember liking the kid's menu when I was really young, since you can also wear it as a hat:

It still exists in Belgium, Kuwait, and a few other countries, although the menu might be very different (I know at least in Europe Tex-Mex restaurants don't serve all the dishes that their American equivalents do).
There's been a Chi-Chi's in Kuwait for the last like, 15 years. I've never gone and I don't think I want to.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lava Lamp posted:

That just reminded me of whichever brand it was that made bubblegum that came in a tube like that. I remember it because the first time one of my friends bought some, the tube was full of maggots, killing any interest I've ever had in tube-based bubblegum.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Pope Guilty posted:

These are the two arcade games that I think of when I think of the 90's:

I loved Top Skater, but, by God, that game broke like you wouldn't believe, and the arcades didn't give a drat.

Put a dollar into the game and... Oh, it's pulling the to the left, and now you can't actually play the game, control anything, or actually finish the level.

You're not getting a refund, and you're not going to get any fun out of the game, either, so you might as well just step off and walk away.

CanceledTVShow
Mar 29, 2013

I remember the spray candies like these here. These were extremely popular when I was in middle school along with the solid version of Warheads and Gobstoppers.

CanceledTVShow has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 19, 2013

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CanceledTVShow posted:

I remember the spray candies like these here. These were extremely popular when I was in middle school along with the solid version of Warheads and Gobstoppers.

Those were liquid, right? I'll one up you with some foam spray candy.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

CanceledTVShow posted:

Warheads were used in my junior high like cigarettes in prison. That poo poo was black market currency.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nerf Ultimator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GG57caQDY

70 feet my rear end!! A loving sparrow flapping its wings once a half mile away was enough to send that thing wildly off course. Usually right into the ground.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Twitch posted:

That just reminded me of whichever brand it was that made bubblegum that came in a tube like that. I remember it because the first time one of my friends bought some, the tube was full of maggots, killing any interest I've ever had in tube-based bubblegum.

I remember getting that from Toys R Us, because it was the only place that carried it. That gum, looking at video games, and in the mid-90s going there to buy Star Wars CCG cards (most fondly because one time I got some "god packs" that contained 6 rares each, including Leia, 2 C-3POs, and Han) were the three things I loved about TRU.

I've actually been on a nostalgia trip regarding CCGs lately. I was big into the Star Trek and Star Wars CCGs, although I was never very good at either. I liked collecting them and looking through my binders all the time. I bought some Star Trek cards off eBay for cheap and I'm going to force my spouse to play the game with me. I've also been looking through Board Game Geek's archives and I never realized how many crappy Magic knockoffs came out around 95-96.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

oldpainless posted:

Nerf Ultimator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GG57caQDY

70 feet my rear end!! A loving sparrow flapping its wings once a half mile away was enough to send that thing wildly off course. Usually right into the ground.

Accurate, no. Powerful, yes. At least, I seem to recall breaking enough poo poo with it to have it banned from the house for awhile.

Those were some good times, and I'd completely forgotten them before I clicked the link. I believe it was actually my brother's, but he was (and still is) younger by nearly five years. That made temporary acquisition of coveted toys a fairly easy feat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CanceledTVShow posted:

They still make these. The spray is actually easier to find than the proper Warheads.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I bring you summer in the 90's.

http://nerfipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Soaker_200

I actually still like the original super soaker designs compared to what we have today. The only person on the block that could out gun you would be the rich kid with that backpack super soaker. I can't even remember what number it was. Might have been the 300.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kilazar posted:

I bring you summer in the 90's.

http://nerfipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Soaker_200

I actually still like the original super soaker designs compared to what we have today. The only person on the block that could out gun you would be the rich kid with that backpack super soaker. I can't even remember what number it was. Might have been the 300.

My favorite of the original era was also one of the hardest to find, the 40:

Slightly smaller than the 50, but I just loved the color scheme and that sweet angle on the tank-holder.

Interestingly, in this sweet collection:

I don't see that same SS40. There's a couple in the lower left that look like 40's, but they seem too big (though that might be just a perspective issue,) but they don't have that same angle on the tank holder. Maybe there were a couple variations?

And what's the purple-colored one a few above that? Near those three SS20s? Alternate colored-SS30? Which was neon orange?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

DrBouvenstein posted:

Interestingly, in this sweet collection:

Super Soakers are rad and all, but jesus that's excessive.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You had to stockpile those weapons before the government banned them!

No serial numbers, completely untraceable...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I had the xxp 175. Thing was rad, pressure gauge, dual tanks. No other kid on my block came close in water fights.

Then one day my friend 'accidently' dropped it and it never worked again. :argh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Frankston posted:

I had the xxp 175. Thing was rad, pressure gauge, dual tanks. No other kid on my block came close in water fights.

Then one day my friend 'accidently' dropped it and it never worked again. :argh:

I had one of those! It was a horrible pain in the rear end to pump, if memory serves.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I remember one sick jerk in my old neighborhood taking a piss inside a SuperSoaker tank, and spraying it during a water fight. Thankfully, that guy got his just desserts by having his face getting beat down with a thick tree branch.

gently caress that guy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thwack! posted:

I remember one sick jerk in my old neighborhood taking a piss inside a SuperSoaker tank, and spraying it during a water fight. Thankfully, that guy got his just desserts by having his face getting beat down with a thick tree branch.

gently caress that guy.

Must have been a rough 'hood.

I had one of the more moderately sized SSs and then I got a dual-tank but my pride and joy was a battery operated Uzi (in bright pink or green or something) that made a sad *wah wah wah* sound as the motor cranked a sad series of streams but it came with non-staining* dye packs so the generally sweaty business of summer water fights wouldn't cover up how much damage you'd done to your friends.

*Just kidding, non-staining, yeah sure. One olde weird trick that pisses off every mom in a four block radius including your own.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I remember getting so excited over these ads as a kid. In hindsight it's the most 90's water gun of them all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMD0p8xngJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhN0IcwU_0A

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yes, that is very 90's indeed.

I remember collecting Super Soakers for a while. Though, they were a bitch checking them in your baggage at airports when you returned from wherever you had been on vacation.
Bought my last one in 2003, at the age of 17. I just couldn't let go of all the fun of the 90's Summers, even though I was too old to play with water guns (yeah, right).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Frankston posted:

When they first came out, my dad and I got a pair of SS100's, and I was so young I was too weak to pump it very much. Much later on, I had the CPS 2500 which owned bones. I think my parents still have it in their garage, I wonder if it still works.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Must have been a rough 'hood.

I had one of the more moderately sized SSs and then I got a dual-tank but my pride and joy was a battery operated Uzi (in bright pink or green or something) that made a sad *wah wah wah* sound as the motor cranked a sad series of streams but it came with non-staining* dye packs so the generally sweaty business of summer water fights wouldn't cover up how much damage you'd done to your friends.

*Just kidding, non-staining, yeah sure. One olde weird trick that pisses off every mom in a four block radius including your own.

Ha! I think I had the M-16 version of that gun.

Was your uzi by chance one of these b(s)ad boys?
http://www.isoaker.com/articles/stock-water-blasters/inventor-profile-alan-amron

I'm not sure if that is my M16 but it's drat close. And I remember my dye being a sepperate package.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kilazar posted:

Ha! I think I had the M-16 version of that gun.

Was your uzi by chance one of these b(s)ad boys?
http://www.isoaker.com/articles/stock-water-blasters/inventor-profile-alan-amron

I'm not sure if that is my M16 but it's drat close. And I remember my dye being a sepperate package.

The only pic I could find on GIS was an AK-47 styled one but I couldn't find anything out about the dye. I just remember my Mom hating that stuff and I don't remember how much allowance saving I had to do to get one but I believe a lot of lawns got mowed for a ridiculous plastic Uzi that sprayed poo poo that would ruin mine and my friends clothes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there was a bit of a minor craze for Super Soakers, at least where I lived. In any event, getting into big fights with oversized novelty water pistols was a popular occurrance in my neighbourhood.

Because WETTER IS BETTER, or so I imagine.

Here's something else that was a big deal at my school for about a year before Pokémon showed up.

Anyone remember Pro-Yo? They had TV adverts and everything.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Metal Loaf posted:

I think there was a bit of a minor craze for Super Soakers, at least where I lived. In any event, getting into big fights with oversized novelty water pistols was a popular occurrance in my neighbourhood.

Here's something else that was a big deal at my school for about a year before Pokémon showed up.

Yeah, it was just yo-yo's in general. Growing up, I didn't lack but still never had anything fancy. Then I guess my dad wanted me to have the best of something and bought me a Cold Fusion yo-yo for my birthday. One upping the kid with the RBII was the best thing ever. Bruised knuckles from the aluminum sucked though.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Radio Help posted:

Super Soakers are rad and all, but jesus that's excessive.
Are you saying you don't want to go to that dude's kickin' rad pool party?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Metal Loaf posted:

Pro-Yo? No, but in our middle school the yo-yo of choice during that craze was Yomega.

Which was also 90's as poo poo. I never had the brain myself; I kept a fireball. I always thought the brains were cheating. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

i am tim! posted:

Pro-Yo? No, but in our middle school the yo-yo of choice during that craze was Yomega.

Which was also 90's as poo poo. I never had the brain myself; I kept a fireball. I always thought the brains were cheating. :colbert:

Man, I somehow totally forgot the yo-yo fad but it's all coming back to me now. Pretty sure I had one of those Yomega Brains back when I was in fourth grade.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Currently watching Tank Girl.

Nominating for the most 90s movie in the history of ever.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

syscall girl posted:

Currently watching Tank Girl.

Nominating for the most 90s movie in the history of ever.

You've obviously never seen Hudson Hawk.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
This is more of a late 90s/early 2000s thing, but does anyone know where I could find a list of all the freeware and shareware games AOL used to let you download back when the "Games Channel" (I think is what it was called?) was a thing. I remember wasting so much time playing a lot of lovely games from there, but there were also some good ones too. Some examples of games you could download included:

Hugo's House of Horrors

Winged Warrior (2)

Dare 2 Dream

Jetpack Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ulvir posted:

I remember getting so excited over these ads as a kid. In hindsight it's the most 90's water gun of them all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMD0p8xngJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhN0IcwU_0A
I googled that just to see if it was still around under a new name, but found this news article from 1994.

quote:

"We wanted to come up with a `Me, too' squirt gun. We wanted to be unique," said Jill Tapper, the Cap Toys' marketing director and spokeswoman. "High-tech is such a part of their life that it has to be incorporated in their toys, too. I think we did it."

• Locked thread