Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Union Square in Manhattan was playing this on two screens, both sold out. Took a former professor of mine to this one. He was one of those people who automatically wrote off "MST3K" because they'd done "This Island Earth" (you seriously wouldn't believe how many film historians/professors over 40 only know "MST3K" as 'those bastards who made fun of "This Island Earth"'), but once I showed him some of the educational shorts he came around to liking it. He'd never been to one of the Rifftrax Live events, and he absolutely loved it.

As for the movie itself, I still really like it, Denise Richards excepted. The satire is incredibly blunt but fun, the visual effects hold up remarkably well apart from a few shots of the brain bug, and I think the action sequences are well put-together. And my god, Neil Patrick Harris looks like he's 14 in this.

I saw a presentation by Phil Tippet recently, the guy who did all the creature effects, and he talked about how this movie was among the last of its kind in regards to effects. Every major sequence was planned out via storyboards and animatics by the time filming started (which was about a year before the release date). There was a particular effects house hired for the major components of the film. One effects company handled the ships, Tippet handled the bugs, and the trickier shots were dogeared as something they'd bring Industrial Light and Magic to help out with. Post-1997, big effects movies are finished by a dozen or so different effects houses all over the world, and its all about making the release date. (For a very extreme example of how this hurts a movie, watch "Green Lantern"... actually don't.) Tippet talked about how the most lucrative jobs he gets nowadays are when studios go, "Oh poo poo, there's one more scene that needs to be finished, we're three weeks away from our release date, and our 14 visual effects units are all working overtime. Here, come in and finish this sequence for us!"

Olivia42 posted:

No not that guy he's my favorite :geno:.
I'm disappointed they didn't make any mention that the actor there was Carver on "The Wire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Paramus, New Jersey was sold out well in advance. I had a great time outside of how mind-numbingly repetitive the movie got in the second half and the annoying couple who kept laughing WAY TOO HARD at every little thing while trying to add in their own jokes. Finally, someone snapped and went on a lunatic rant at them to shut them up, so that was fun.

Every Jake Busey joke slayed me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Robert Denby posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't make any mention that the actor there was Carver on "The Wire".

Dammit, I knew he was familiar!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I cracked up way too hard at "That breaks my bad". I totally forgot that Dean Norris was That Guy in the 90s who seemed to be in everything but nobody knew his name.

I watched this up here in Edmonton and I really hope the Canadian showings are a thing going forward because the turnout was pretty good (the theatre was over 2/3rds full which was better than I expected seeing how it was shown in three theatres in the city alone).

Edit: Another line that got a big reaction at my theatre was "Even in the future, AT&T is still dropping calls" when Rico's call to his parents is cut off.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 16, 2013

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

IUG posted:

Yeah, everyone laughed at this one at my theater too. Except for me as that joke went right over my head.

It's a reference to Airplane!, which itself was a spoof of a 50s disaster film called Zero Hour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

Leslie Nielsen himself referenced the scene in the finale of Scary Movie 3.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Sigh, I wish these weren't on Thursdays. I donated to the Kickstarter and everything, but my wife works late on Thursdays at this new job, so I can't see them. Well, at least I'll get the MP3 version eventually.

Name-drop Fellini
Nov 21, 2001

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
My theater in Metro Detroit was packed. There was a lot of good stuff like "She wants the D... List actor," "You're my lieutenant until you die or I find someone better." "Ah, my wedding vows," and a lot of the jokes about Dizzy's obsession with Rico, but on the whole, the riff was disappointing because it was just too snarky and mean-spirited. Rifftrax has always been more snarky than MST3K but it seemed even worse tonight and it just got a little irritating to hear some of it when they were riffing a legitimately great movie in Starship Troopers. The Gorilla Grams worked as an inventive way to avoid showing the nude scenes but they weren't funny at all and it seemed silly to worry about the nudity when they were showing a movie that violent :can:.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Name-drop Fellini posted:

My theater in Metro Detroit was packed. There was a lot of good stuff like "She wants the D... List actor," "You're my lieutenant until you die or I find someone better." "Ah, my wedding vows," and a lot of the jokes about Dizzy's obsession with Rico, but on the whole, the riff was disappointing because it was just too snarky and mean-spirited. Rifftrax has always been more snarky than MST3K but it seemed even worse tonight and it just got a little irritating to hear some of it when they were riffing a legitimately great movie in Starship Troopers. The Gorilla Grams worked as an inventive way to avoid showing the nude scenes but they weren't funny at all and it seemed silly to worry about the nudity when they were showing a movie that violent :can:.

I thought the Gorilla Grams were sort of funny at first, but wore out their welcome before the first even ended. Other than that, my thoughts exactly.

E: Also your avatar rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It didn't strike me as especially mean spirited. They dug at the actors a lot but made it really clear that it was in fun.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That show absolutely killed.

iloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyouihateyouiloveyou

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Some of the video game riffs seemed haphazardly thrown in, specifically the Mario Kart one when someone asks Rico what he's doing later. Although I did get a hoot out of the Wing Commander riff, which reminds me why they haven't mocked the movie of that because it's pretty much asking for it.

Oh, and the return of "llllaaaadies" was much appreciated. And "let me teach you how to Doogie" :haw:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I Before E posted:

I thought the Gorilla Grams were sort of funny at first, but wore out their welcome before the first even ended. Other than that, my thoughts exactly.

It's not like it was a short scene they had to cover up. Even if they did mess up and show nipple in the second topless scene.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Is there a reason they had to cut-away from the nude scenes with the Gorilla Grams? It didn't bother me too much but I found it odd.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It didn't strike me as especially mean spirited. They dug at the actors a lot but made it really clear that it was in fun.

They even said before the show that the cast was watching the riffing in Los Angeles and threw in a quick "sorry, we love you!" apology at the end in case anything went too far. I thought of it as a roast in a way.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Justin Godscock posted:

I watched this up here in Edmonton and I really hope the Canadian showings are a thing going forward because the turnout was pretty good

I don't have much hope for my area. Including me, there were 5 people in the theater.

Oh, but I do think I got all the slides, I'll upload em when I get home.

Name-drop Fellini
Nov 21, 2001

Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.

Maxwell Lord posted:

They did say it was in fun and it could be seen like a roast but they hammered some of the same jokes over and over like Denise Richards being dumb, Casper Van Dien being boring, and Jake Busey having big teeth to the point that it became less like friendly ribbing and more like bullying.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They've been crueler to better and worse actors. Denise Richards catches more hell from The Soup than Rifftrax.

I don't think any of these actors are losing sleep in their mansions tonight.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They've been crueler to better and worse actors. Denise Richards catches more hell from The Soup than Rifftrax.

Don't you mean Denise Richards Colon It's Complicated?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I saw a Denise Richards audition tape for one of the Halloween movies back in the mid nineties and it's one of the funniest audition tapes I've ever seen. She's just so drat bad. Not even the makers of the Halloween movies gave her the part. That's gotta sting.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And she really was the worst Bond Girl.

Like worse than the nameless, faceless ones of the abysmal Roger Moore era.

Also...

Casper (Rico) to Denise Richards (Ibanez) : "So what are you doing tonight?"

Rifftrax: "Matt Dillon and Neve Campbell"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

"OK, from here on out, 80% of the dialogue is 'Move!'"

The Portland, OR theater was packed--more than I remember for Birdemic. And over the credits they had some footage from what looked to be some sort of backer party. A couple of homemade Crow T. Robots and Tom Servos, and somebody had an MST3K Episode Guide that looked to be signed by the whole cast at some point.

I love how the Mobile Infantry strategy consists of "stand out in the open and fire from the hip with your everlasting gobstopper of ammunition."

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Some poor guy was in the hallway of our theater, angry that he had bought a ticket to what he thought was going to be a new Starship Troopers movie :smith: too bad for him, because he missed a hilarious riff and an awesome movie at the same time.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Robert Denby posted:

Union Square in Manhattan was playing this on two screens, both sold out. Took a former professor of mine to this one. He was one of those people who automatically wrote off "MST3K" because they'd done "This Island Earth" (you seriously wouldn't believe how many film historians/professors over 40 only know "MST3K" as 'those bastards who made fun of "This Island Earth"'), but once I showed him some of the educational shorts he came around to liking it. He'd never been to one of the Rifftrax Live events, and he absolutely loved it.
I've never understood this position. "This Island Earth" is hardly a cinematic treasure. In fact it's kind of crappy. And it's weird to judge them on something they did halfway through their run, even.

quote:

Me too.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My Facebook has 3 people on it that were excited for a Starship Troopers sequel.

I had to let one of them down hard by letting him they do exist, as straight-to-DVD turds.

"This Island Earth" is loving horrible and I'll never get why people love it, and I say this as a huge 50's/60's sci-fi nerd.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 16, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Deadpool posted:

I saw a Denise Richards audition tape for one of the Halloween movies back in the mid nineties and it's one of the funniest audition tapes I've ever seen. She's just so drat bad. Not even the makers of the Halloween movies gave her the part. That's gotta sting.

I've always called Denise Richards the Megan Fox of the '90s. She could not act but kept getting major parts because someone in Hollywood thought she was "hot" and kept putting forth amazingly embarrassing performances.

I've said this before but even horny 12-year old me just couldn't stand Denise Richards and for a movie that was many a goon's realization that they liked boobs that's saying something.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Zeether posted:

Some of the video game riffs seemed haphazardly thrown in, specifically the Mario Kart one when someone asks Rico what he's doing later.

Seems like a running gag, Bill is really into Mario Kart. I remember it being in several of the live riffs.

Robert Denby posted:

As for the movie itself, I still really like it, Denise Richards excepted. The satire is incredibly blunt but fun, the visual effects hold up remarkably well apart from a few shots of the brain bug, and I think the action sequences are well put-together.

I dunno man, most of the ship VFX was pretty horrible looking, especially in the scenes with more ships.

I Before E posted:

I was honestly kind of disappointed with this one. They talked over one of the most important lines in the movie. They talked over a lot of lines, actually, and I seem to remember them being better about that in the MST3K days.

That's something I've noticed more on their riffs of movies that are decent-to-good originally. MST3k movies were generally directed and edited poorly, so there is a lot of blank space to insert lines. Movies that are directed and edited competently don't have such large gaps in dialogue, so almost out of necessity they riff over lines.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Presenting... Three Drunk Moms! :byodame::bigtran:;-*

tankadillo posted:

Some poor guy was in the hallway of our theater, angry that he had bought a ticket to what he thought was going to be a new Starship Troopers movie :smith: too bad for him, because he missed a hilarious riff and an awesome movie at the same time.

Are you sure he wasn't doing some sort of prank or performance piece?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Command Ant posted:

Are you sure he wasn't doing some sort of prank or performance piece?

As someone that worked in a place that sells DVDs: nope. I used to have to tell people the "black bars" are supposed to be there, that Pan's Labyrinth was filmed in Spanish and no your copy of The Artist is not defective.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Okay, here's my slides album.

http://imgur.com/a/4mxLK

Apkallu
May 8, 2007

rivid posted:

Also surprised with the turnout, theater was almost full. Lots of people that looked like they hadn't left their bedrooms in a long time though haha... SO many ponytails. Can't really think of anywhere else I've ever seen someone wear a Ron Paul t-shirt.

We weren't full-full in my part of Connecticut, but it was a decent amount of people, especially for the 'burbs on a Thursday night. That said, of the people there, we had a different selection of people not usually out in the light of day: three cosplayers. Not of anything relating to MST3K or Starship Troopers, just...some girl in a cat outfit and another in a maid outfit and someone else behind them. I have no idea why or where they came from. There's no cons nearby.

Content-wise, I kind of felt sad there was no short - I haven't been to all the live Riffs, but more than half, and I've kind of come to expect those as part of the opening. Was it because it was from the Kickstarter?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Apkallu posted:

Content-wise, I kind of felt sad there was no short - I haven't been to all the live Riffs, but more than half, and I've kind of come to expect those as part of the opening. Was it because it was from the Kickstarter?

Actually, it was because of the length of the film. Most live riffs, the main event is like, 80 minutes, hour and a half tops.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They're pretty cruel to the no-name actors in most MST3K's, such as the poor sods in Time Chasers. I doubt people with jobs will be too upset. Also, they cut the Jake Busey teeth jokes only a few minutes into his character showing up, they just did a ton of them quick like "My hand, I need that to hold my giant tooth brush."

Also I swear to God Rifftrax is the only place I've heard anyone else ever talk about Shasta McNasty.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
For the record, I don't think that there was a single "Denise Richards is Dumb" joke I didn't laugh at.

And considering that NPH and Van Diem were both plugging the show pretty heavily, I doubt they took any offense. NPH especially.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Name-drop Fellini posted:

I mostly agree with this. There were some great lines but overall I think this wasn't as good as the previous live shows. The sound was also mixed poorly.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oh I thought it was my theater, the volume also just seemed low.

I still loved it though, and my wife thought it was better than Birdemic. I feel like I got a lot more laughs out of Birdemic, but Starship Troopers was still drat good.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

David Cronenberg's A BUG'S LIFE

And yeah, the sound mix mostly sucked.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I didn't stick around until the end of the credits, but there was no digital goodies link this time, right? I have one of the tiers of Kickstarter that gives me some shorts anyways, but I remembered those URLs being given away before the credits before anyways.

Speak of which though, does anyone know when those Kickstarter reward shorts will be given out?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

November or earlier.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ensign_Ricky posted:

For the record, I don't think that there was a single "Denise Richards is Dumb" joke I didn't laugh at.

I was the only one laughing when towards the end she "said" "make it thus." Overall, I really enjoyed it, but like others said the sound was really bad. It wasn't low for us, it was like they cranked the volume up to max for both so you were just barraged with a blur of loud noise.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

No one else got the Sue Ellen Mischke joke at my theater. :I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Yeah it seemed like they're so used to talking over 50s B-movies and degraded 70s shorts that they didn't anticipate how much louder a modern blockbuster action movie is.

I had a great time because as beloved as Starship Troopers is, there are some genuinely ponderous and laughable moments in it. I was also at Union Square and the crowd was great, aside from the one guy who was unironically booing every time Gorillagrams thwarted his enjoyment of nudity. It was weird that Rifftrax felt the need to do that, especially since the Kickstarter kid they introduced in the beginning was front and center enjoying that co-ed shower on the big screen.

Snark fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 16, 2013

• Locked thread