Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

If I knew any better I'd just say they're hiding them from you.

It's not Funcom that's here. Hell me and the guy talked about how the game is fun but a massive pile of bugs and broken poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

It's not Funcom that's here. Hell me and the guy talked about how the game is fun but a massive pile of bugs and broken poo poo.

Did you tell him your secret identity, and try and get a 'Free EvilBillMurray' in game T-shirt?

If not, for shame.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Did you tell him your secret identity, and try and get a 'Free EvilBillMurray' in game T-shirt?

If not, for shame.

I got three more days to visit the booth so I can try then.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Am I missing something or is the Savage Coast designed to just completely gently caress you up?

Everything is trivial is Kingsmouth for me, I'm wearing all QL3+ weapons and most charms, but the second I try any mission on the Coast I get my poo poo handed to me.

I've gone from being a walking god on one side of a small tunnel to being unsure what will kill me first – the monsters, or diabetes from the sheer number of soda cans I slug constantly like some sort of twisted addict on a binge.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brain In A Jar posted:

Am I missing something or is the Savage Coast designed to just completely gently caress you up?

Everything is trivial is Kingsmouth for me, I'm wearing all QL3+ weapons and most charms, but the second I try any mission on the Coast I get my poo poo handed to me.

I've gone from being a walking god on one side of a small tunnel to being unsure what will kill me first – the monsters, or diabetes from the sheer number of soda cans I slug constantly like some sort of twisted addict on a binge.

Savage Coast and Blue Mountain are sort of the game's built in build-check for leveling. You can have a pretty broken build and still get through Kingsmouth OK since its the relatively-easy newbie area, but if your rear end keeps getting handed to you in SC, then that means you should probably re-examine your build.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I'm running Pistols/Ele, with a focus on applying Afflicted and crits, stacking +dmg when afflicted and extra hit on afflicted passives.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Brain In A Jar posted:

I'm running Pistols/Ele, with a focus on applying Afflicted and crits, stacking +dmg when afflicted and extra hit on afflicted passives.
Mini-version of my advice for making a cookie cutter level grinding spec:
- Use a melee spec because Breakdown and inner-wheel defensive cooldowns are just way too good
- By "melee spec" I mean sword/hammer with Clearing the Path and Raging Volcano
- Don't blow your defensive cooldowns when enemies are winding up AoE attacks you're going to step out of
- Get 3k max HP and otherwise stack attack power
- Rush skill level 9 on your weapons so you can get QL10s from the auction house and also never glance, which will massively increase your damage

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

OneEightHundred posted:

- Rush skill level 9 on your weapons so you can get QL10s from the auction house and also never glance, which will massively increase your damage

As a newbie who completely misunderstood this hint when I started playing: QL10s cost around 8k to 10k dollars. I ground my way to Egypt using drops before I thought I had enough money to pay for QL10s.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only way to "stack" attack rating is with blues, BTW. If you're using green DPS talismans you can't avoid sitting on 4000-4500 HP by the time you reach QL10. And don't rush QL9 weapons by excluding everything else, especially if you have higher QL talismans from somewhere - yes your damage will increase, but your "level" is based on your highest skill levels and you'll get much less XP from red and orange "devastating" and "very hard" mobs/missions.

If early Savage Coast fucks you up in QL3+ gear your build isn't working, Blue Mountain is a difficulty spike but Savage Coast shouldn't be (unless you're having problems with specific missions, theme park tycoon is tricky eg.).

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 16, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

orcane posted:

The only way to "stack" attack rating is with blues, BTW.
Greens still come in two varieties with AR, there are high-HP and low-HP varieties, you should pretty much always go with the low-HP varieties.

quote:

And don't rush QL9 weapons by excluding everything else, especially if you have higher QL talismans from somewhere - yes your damage will increase, but your "level" is based on your highest skill levels and you'll get much less XP from red and orange "devastating" and "very hard" mobs/missions.
It seems more likely that mission "difficulty" is determined by total SP spent, since I rushed a QL10 and everything in Transylvania was still at Devastating. All the more reason to rush a weapon then, because HP gains from talismans are pretty static across quality levels, but getting glances off the table will give you an enormous damage increase and, beyond that, weapon power gives a lot more bang for the item slot buck anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OneEightHundred posted:

I have a QL10 weapon and I still get glances.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You also want hit rating, what content did you do with QL10 weapons? Also don't put too much effort into "crit builds" (especially crit gearing), you generally get more performance out of hit and penetration rating. Go crit/crit power on your healing gear but stacking it on normal DPS gear is going to leave you with lots of glances or blocked hits.

OneEightHundred posted:

It seems more likely that mission "difficulty" is determined by total SP spent, since I rushed a QL10 and everything in Transylvania was still at Devastating. All the more reason to rush a weapon then, because HP gains from talismans are pretty static across quality levels, but getting glances off the table will give you an enormous damage increase and, beyond that, weapon power gives a lot more bang for the item slot buck anyway.
That doesn't match my experience at all.

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 16, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

orcane posted:

You also want hit rating, what content did you do with QL10 weapons? Also don't put too much effort into "crit builds" (especially crit gearing), you generally get more performance out of hit and penetration rating. Go crit/crit power on your healing gear but stacking it on normal DPS gear is going to leave you with lots of glances or blocked hits.

I'm talking about normal quests in Blue Mountain. And I am using hit/pen gear where possible.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In that case, be happy you don't get even more glances :haw:

Seriously though, you could run a combat log mod to see how much you glance, the percentage shouldn't be very high with a QL10 weapon and some hit in QL5-6 content.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Brain In A Jar posted:

I did something pretty similar on my first playthrough and ran into the same problem. It's been a while so I can't remember how I got over that hump, but I think it was a combination of redoing my build and buying a weapon from the Savage Coast sequin vendor (I only found out later about the existence of the Q6 sequin vendor in Blue Mountain, and it's one of those things I wish I'd known about earlier). I think the monsters at the entrance of the Savage Coast region are actually harder than the ones further in, so I ended up going straight to Innsmouth Academy, then back to the Ak'ab and Hellspawn.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Okay, cool. I suppose I'll spend a couple of hours back in Kingsmouth grinding out high-xp missions to get me enough points to buy some decent abilities.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Holy s*** I don't know who all these people giving you advice are but I've never seen them in game and I'm pretty sure they're giving you a bunch of advice that you can't possibly use.

The correct a f****** answer is to skip the missions at the hotel and to just go down the road to the center of town and get the easier quest from there.

Holy s*** what the f*** is wrong with you people.

I'll add it inappropriate swearing later since I'm yelling at my phone and it won't swear for me.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Toshimo posted:

I'll add it inappropriate swearing later since I'm yelling at my phone and it won't swear for me.
Your poor phone :(

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

I have a QL10 weapon and I still get glances.
Okay, not never, but a shitload less in Transylvania and somewhere between a shitload less and never in Egypt compared to what you'll see if you keep your SP distribution even. I had a point where my blade was as SL 9 and my hammer was at SL 6 in Egypt and every time I hit my hammer consumer it would glance everything and my blade hardly ever did, it's really important.

orcane posted:

That doesn't match my experience at all.
The original reason I rushed SL 9 in the first place was to get missions out of Devastating, and it didn't work. I don't know why you WOULDN'T want to do it if that was true, it has zero disadvantage aside from removing XP penalties on missions that give boatloads of it and don't actually get any harder if you bump your skill level up.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Toshimo posted:

Holy s*** I don't know who all these people giving you advice are but I've never seen them in game and I'm pretty sure they're giving you a bunch of advice that you can't possibly use.

Who are you again?

Oneeighthundred's advice is pretty legit. Certainly better than most advice I see in here. Melee vs ranged is a matter of preference, but exposed is the best DPS bonus in the game.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

OneEightHundred posted:

The "difficulty" is not determined by total SP spent. It is a factor of your talisman levels and your weapon levels (not sure if it looks at the highest weapon level, two highest, or currently equipped). Rushing a Q10 weapon is not the worst idea, but don't neglect talismans. I'm not really certain that the QL of the equipped weapon itself affects glances. Your level in the weapon does, but not as much as hit rating. You certainly do want to increase weapon level, but there is no replacement for hit rating.

You can't really go "wrong" advancing talismans and weapons at the same rate. Though if you really want to min-max it: Everything to Q3 (polaris), 1 weapon to Q6 (blue mountain sequin), Everything to Q6 (hell raised/darkness war), 1 Weapon to Q8 (egypt blue), hardly matters at this point (ahnk Q8/hell fallen Q9, but mileage from those may vary), start doing elites at Q10. (note: you can safely avoid the secondary line for all of the weapons and only focus on the damage line [except perhaps healing for fist/blood... well, nah, you can avoid that too]). I'd also avoid maxing out a weapon or talisman to the complete exclusion of the others; higher level weapons are good, but so are talisman stats (AR/Hit/Pen, ignore crit stats for a long time), particularly since while leveling you will not be in the DR for anything.

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
Anyone have a trial code for this game?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

thewhitehand posted:

Anyone have a trial code for this game?

DH2NJ8LNYVGN9V6B4RYK
3KLWNBLNMXL876LJLKSX
U2XYMHDZEV28N9LQNXPD
Take your pick.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Well this Rogue Agent quest blows goats.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Brain In A Jar posted:

Well this Rogue Agent quest blows goats.

There are a couple missions like that early on that can be really discouraging and Rogue Agent is particularly annoying. If you don't mind spoilers/solutions, look here

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
...so, did anyone manage to get the Vampires Aren't Forever achievement from killing Janos Dragosani in 5 minutes? If so, anyone have suggestions? Its not a matter of being able to kill him (since I can do that well enough - and quickly enough if I didn't get killed first), as much as connection errors (losing connection to server), getting glitched inside a wall, getting stuck on geometry (not being able to jump over a railing or move across the floor), or lagging and I get hit with an invisible clotting mire.

I don't even know what to do anymore. Is there any way to make this quicker and easier? Waiting 3 days every single bloody time is getting really, really old.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

alfheimwanderer posted:

...so, did anyone manage to get the Vampires Aren't Forever achievement from killing Janos Dragosani in 5 minutes?

I see someone over at Funcom has been reading Necroscope.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

alfheimwanderer posted:

I don't even know what to do anymore. Is there any way to make this quicker and easier? Waiting 3 days every single bloody time is getting really, really old.

I haven't gotten it myself, though pretty drat close. Only thing I figure I need to do it myself is load into the instance faster as it generally takes a few minutes in itself for some drat reason.

Spoilered for stuff
Generally, don't trip the alarms, put in the code for the door asap, emp everything and don't bother with the jumping "puzzle" laser grid. Run through the alarm light that flickers on and off (if you do it at sprint it won't go off), unlock the left door emp the middle then open the right, skip the computer and enter the vampire's chamber. Then DPS the hell out of him while purging his sheild. Use the whip debuff on him and and buffs you have on yourself as you run up to him initially. As you need purges, I'd reccommend flicker to get to him quicker when he starts teleporting around.

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 19, 2013

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Indeed - getting to Janos has not been a problem. Nor has killing him if everything goes well - but something always seems to glitch (as a note, I use a sword/ele build for soloing, so I have purges and flicker available to me anyway + Exposed to kill him quicker). You would recommend the whip w/debuff as aux weapon though?

Hmm, maybe I'll try that. Either that, or I'd be willing to work with someone on it and kill him together.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

alfheimwanderer posted:

Indeed - getting to Janos has not been a problem. Nor has killing him if everything goes well - but something always seems to glitch (as a note, I use a sword/ele build for soloing, so I have purges and flicker available to me anyway + Exposed to kill him quicker). You would recommend the whip w/debuff as aux weapon though?

Hmm, maybe I'll try that. Either that, or I'd be willing to work with someone on it and kill him together.

Supposedly you can't get the achievement in a group because ???

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

guppy posted:

I've heard conflicting things about it. Perhaps not enough damage was done by one, or one died (which also DQs one from the achievement, according to a GM)?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

I've been using shotty/ele myself and seemed to have gotten him down to (supposedly) a few seconds of getting the achieve, even with the terribad loading time. But yeah, the whip debuff helps considerably.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

guppy posted:

One of the devs outright said you can not get it with a group, so I wouldn't even bother. Either way, achievement is easy. Difficulty is getting him to spawn. First run the door was locked. Second run I deliberately went for the cheevo and door was open. Ran in, killed him, picked up the quest, turned it in etc.

The Covert Cryptographer though, gently caress that one. You can't even explore because it'll auto push you and progress if you get too close to an area.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^

That's the one with the drat letters for the teddybear? I can think of two points where it'll do that. The honeycomb and the hallway. Hallway's easy if you inch up as close as you can and cartwheel. gently caress the honeycomb, though. Fall off and more likely than not it'll decide to progress anyways.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

^^^^^

That's the one with the drat letters for the teddybear? I can think of two points where it'll do that. The honeycomb and the hallway. Hallway's easy if you inch up as close as you can and cartwheel. gently caress the honeycomb, though. Fall off and more likely than not it'll decide to progress anyways.

Yep. gently caress that honeycomb, seriously.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

alfheimwanderer posted:

...so, did anyone manage to get the Vampires Aren't Forever achievement from killing Janos Dragosani in 5 minutes?
I have this, and I've been wearing my Shadow Out of Time title since then because it took me way too loving long. I went completely ranged (AR/Ele) because he teleports around so goddamn much. Anima charge + magnetic wipe was useful. Don't rocket jump over the leeching AoEs.

A word of warning: the achievement isn't granted on killing him within 5 minutes. It's actually granted on completing the associated side quest in 5 minutes, meaning you have to grab the mission and upload the data as well during that time. I killed him in 4 minutes, spent 10 seconds swearing at Funcom, then realised that I should at least try submitting the mission and had to haul rear end to get it in time.

Speaking of achievements, we got Bat Out of Hell (complete NM Hell Fallen) last night :toot:

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 19, 2013

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^

Nice. I still need to get that one to go with my MP Hell Eternal.

No one ever seems to want to run anything in channel and Mumble fucks up on my system. :/

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

I figured that when I saw the mission pop up. But while the devs may have said one thing, people have been reporting that they are indeed getting the achievement in groups, so, eh. Hmm, maybe Anima Charge would be helpful.

Can the dot be cleansed, BTW?

Worsted Weight
Oct 13, 2012

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

^^^^^

At least if you fall off the honeycombs you can relog before doing anything else and you'll be able to do that part again (better than waiting on cooldown but it still takes forever). I'm reasonably sure it still counts that way but I haven't tried since last patch.

Also for the other one, it helps to remember that [backspace] toggles walking. Now if only it was easier to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Worsted Weight posted:

At least if you fall off the honeycombs you can relog before doing anything else and you'll be able to do that part again (better than waiting on cooldown but it still takes forever). I'm reasonably sure it still counts that way but I haven't tried since last patch.

/camp or /quit both still work if you fall off the honeycomb. I have also heard that if you complete a path without stepping on the honeycomb it counts towards the final path to the letter without advancing the scene (so you can fall without going to the burning house). I will test the second theory when the mission is off cooldown again.

• Locked thread