Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sometimes I wonder what people like Benny did with their time before there was an internet to keep them entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can rewrite that in 16 words:

A lot of you are being just as weird as the OP at this point. Demands for paystubs? Rewriting his sentences for him without being asked, during which you cut half the meaning out of the post? Obsessing over his poor use of grammar and punctuation? Constant, weird, and overly familiar firstname-like use of part of his username? He's not the only one who needs a life. Some of you think he's just making all this up and are still posting in the thread, months later. :psyduck: Why would you even do that to yourself?! I like trainwreck watching as much as the next guy but this is well beyond trolling and into the realms of legit insanity.

Remind me to never be extremely weird and pathetic in E/N because it seems to bring out the usually-silent Dr. Lecters in the audience.

Tell me BENNY, have the lambs stopped screaming?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

^^^ This thread is like an abusive relationship. People just keep coming back thinking it'll be different this time but it never is.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Benny can you explain your student loan situation again. It makes no sense.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nathilus posted:

A lot of you are being just as weird as the OP at this point. Demands for paystubs? Rewriting his sentences for him without being asked, during which you cut half the meaning out of the post? Obsessing over his poor use of grammar and punctuation? Constant, weird, and overly familiar firstname-like use of part of his username? He's not the only one who needs a life. Some of you think he's just making all this up and are still posting in the thread, months later. :psyduck: Why would you even do that to yourself?! I like trainwreck watching as much as the next guy but this is well beyond trolling and into the realms of legit insanity.

Remind me to never be extremely weird and pathetic in E/N because it seems to bring out the usually-silent Dr. Lecters in the audience.

Tell me BENNY, have the lambs stopped screaming?

Nat, so why are you here posting in this thread now? Many, including me, have offered advice in honesty in between gentle ribbing. You?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nathilus posted:

Goon 21 - :v: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

Nat, so why are you here posting in this thread now? Many, including me, have offered advice in honesty in between gentle ribbing. You?

DARTH, because I wanted to point out how creepy people are being, obviously. It has become particularly noteworthy in the past few pages. Good on you for offering constructive advice in between episodes of being weird as hell though. As for me, I'm just here for the entertainment value of all these bizarre posts. That said, pointing out how fuckin' weird you people are being is just as if not more constructive than your creepy rear end demands for dox. Perhaps some of you don't know you're being creepy enough to send someone with a weaker constitution into a cold sweat. This information might be useful so y'all don't accidentally scare strangers in real life by unknowingly being creeps. Besides, I need something to go with my fava beans and Chianti. PFTHTHTHTHTHTHT.

WampaLord posted:

Goon 21 - :v: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."

Hell naw! Keep doing it, I find it funny as hell. And it's not like I'm not now doing it too. I am many things but I try not to be a hypocrite.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 16, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Nathilus posted:

Constant, weird, and overly familiar firstname-like use of part of his username?

You do realize that one or two posts in he explicitly stated "Hi, my name is Benny". It's not like we're calling him "Nath" because we're too lazy to type or something.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Yup, I've been reading since the start. Still weird.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Benny, why are you doing an internship? Is it paid? If not, why aren't you focusing on getting a paying job so you can possibly afford your much-needed medication?

Whatever happened with your medication?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

CravingSolace posted:

Benny, why are you doing an internship?

He's not, it's the one he was in at the beginning of the topic.

I feel the need to intervene because I know Benny is going to jump on this as a chance to reply to correct you and not reply to anything else from the last two pages.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

That drat Satyr posted:

I wish e/n got mod challenges, because.. ugh.

They do sometimes rarely crop up in E/N - there was a guy recently who wanted to blow up the world (his name began with a D and he had a MLP avatar at first) who got a challenge from Abe to improve himself. It went pretty well, but then he posted again that he was having the same crazy delusional thoughts and got banned. Kind of similar to this thread!

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

He's not, it's the one he was in at the beginning of the topic.

I feel the need to intervene because I know Benny is going to jump on this as a chance to reply to correct you and not reply to anything else from the last two pages.

Silly Ursine - you overestimated Benny again. His latest "development" is an interview for an editorial internship on Monday. That, and he thinks Target may hire him back despite his crashing carts into cars and lying about it.

No word yet on why he applied to editing internships when he said writing was going to stay a hobby, how he's paying for psych meds, or his new landscaping empire.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Nathilus posted:

Yup, I've been reading since the start. Still weird.

The guy's user name is Benny the Snake. Shortening his name to Benny is shorter and faster to type. I don't really see the big deal about that.

The requests for comic books/pay stubs are kinda weird, but people honestly think this guy is a troll because this thread has been going on for 6 months and the best thing that ever happened to him in that time was Target.

In any case, Benny, have you gone to the Department of Labor? Have you gone to the career center of your alma mater? Where are your friends? Where do they work? Are there openings?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Dude hasn't been able to keep a job at a warehouse, at a restaurant bussing tables or at Target pushing carts(a position where special needs people are hired). Why on earth are y'all telling him to find another job? It's not going to solve anything

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Ern Malley posted:

They do sometimes rarely crop up in E/N - there was a guy recently who wanted to blow up the world (his name began with a D and he had a MLP avatar at first) who got a challenge from Abe to improve himself. It went pretty well, but then he posted again that he was having the same crazy delusional thoughts and got banned. Kind of similar to this thread!

That was Daionius23rd or something like that. He was also known for posting in the TV Tropes thread about his old roleplaying experiences.
Benny, have you ever tried freelance writing through the Internet? It might be good practice, at least.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Benny can you explain your student loan situation again. It makes no sense.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Eris posted:

Silly Ursine - you overestimated Benny again. His latest "development" is an interview for an editorial internship on Monday.

Oh jesus, I did. :smith:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It's not a paid internship, unfortunately. But if it can get my foot in the door, I'm all for it. If I can, I'll share with you guys the kind of things I edited.

Kingdom of Sin
Feb 27, 2005

O frabjous day
Hello, E/N. I have been speaking to Benny regularly on AIM for... a year? Year and a half? For several months before this thread was started, at least. I can assure you all that, to the very best of my knowledge, Benny is not a troll. He is just a guy with some kind of learning disability, and/or ADD, and/or some kind of mental disorder not otherwise specified. I haven't posted here until now because I had nothing to add that I hadn't already told Benny over AIM, but now I think the troll allegations are starting to derail the derails that had begun to derail the original derails.

Benny is a nice guy, or at least always has been to me. I think he generally goes through life with good intentions, but his priorities and understanding of how the world works are often quite strange. Having watched one of my cousins grow up with (real, doctor-diagnosed) Asperger's, I suppose I have a degree of sympathy for people who, to the rest of the world, seem genuinely bizarre due to an inherent disorder in the way they think and interact.

I'm not here to either champion or bash Benny, and I don't intend to get into a drawn-out discussion of his particular oddities, but hopefully this will provide a little insight. There's been a lot of good advice in this thread that he appears to have ignored, and I have shared in your frustration and bemusement over his thought processes and resultant actions. I don't know what it's going to take to set him straight on a lot of this stuff, but I suspect it's something like a hard slap upside the head from the real world combined with continuing mental health care. He has made the steps to seek out the latter, at the very least, and that is a good start.

A lot of people are rooting for you, Benny.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is it that weird to call a person by the first part of their username? People call me Hunter fairly frequently and I don't really care. I wouldn't expect them to type all that poo poo out.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Huntersoninski posted:

Is it that weird to call a person by the first part of their username? People call me Hunter fairly frequently and I don't really care. I wouldn't expect them to type all that poo poo out.
Benny's based off my real name so that's why I chose it for my SA name. I chose it so people would call me that over SA.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm all for rooting for our fellow goons, wishing them the best and trying to pave the way for them with advice, opportunities and the like, but our friend Benny here has failed to hold a job that is usually given to people with special needs/mentally challenged. I really don't know what the 'best realistic expectation' is any more.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Huntersoninski posted:

It's pretty unusual to use a username at all when replying directly to someone. Between quotes and 'OP' it's generally pretty drat clear who you're talking to without using one. Like, see? Here. I don't have to say "Hunter, [my point]" at any point in this post because your username is already floating above it. It's also not like real life where using someone's name instead of just "hey, jerk/OP/whatever!" is polite. Therefore doing so is mostly just like the weird passive aggressive first name use that people do in Facebook arguments with strangers. That said, do what you like. I honestly only put that one in so I could work in my silence of the lambs joke at the end of the post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Benny, I snapped. I apologize.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not a paid internship, unfortunately. But if it can get my foot in the door, I'm all for it. If I can, I'll share with you guys the kind of things I edited.

Benny, why do you reply to posts like this, but not posts where people are asking you information where you can be helped? Like, paying for medication?

And why would someone who is actively trying to get out of their parents house apply for an unpaid internship?

Are you not answering the landscaping question because it went poorly, and you don't want to tell us?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He's clearly not panicking and trying to move out right now. I don't know if it is in this case, but if an unpaid internship would lead him to a better job, then I'm okay with it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Most entry-level type work would be insufficient to cover cost of living so there's nothing wrong with beefing up his resume in the interim.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Accretionist posted:

Most entry-level type work would be insufficient to cover cost of living so there's nothing wrong with beefing up his resume in the interim.

Yeah, those three week long 'volunteer' stints look great on the resume, right? Because if he gets this 'job' that's more than likely what it's going to actually be, because Benny has serious issues with being honest about any job he's perusing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

gently caress me, Benny's not a troll after all. My hope for humanity died a little bit today.

Benny, you have to wake up and realize your situation is poo poo and that you need to be taking steps to get out of it. Right now those steps are continuing therapy/medication and seeking help for your mental issues. I swear that if you stick with this, one day you will look back at this point in your life and be so loving glad you did.

Stop loving cherry-picking minor posts to respond to and start responding to the people asking you the tough questions. This is another sign that you are in denial about how hosed up your situation is.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Benny cannot and will not get better until he takes his meds. This is why he cannot set and achieve realistic goals. This is why he ignores anything he doesn't want to hear. This is why he gets interviews, gets hired and subsequently fired from 3 jobs in 6 months, lasting a day at one, a week at the next and a month at the last, and still thinks that the problem is the amount of commas in his cover letter.

Just ban him and gas the thread, it's not going to go anywhere until he gets the help he needs, which he won't get here.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm taking my meds. Zoloft before bedtime and Ablifiy during the day. There have been a couple of days when I forgot but other than that I'm pretty good about remembering to take my medication.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm taking my meds. Zoloft before bedtime and Ablifiy during the day. There have been a couple of days when I forgot but other than that I'm pretty good about remembering to take my medication.

You don't have to elaborate beyond a yes or no, but you are also going to therapy regularly, correct? This is a big question that's been asked a lot and you've sort of ignored, and it's really good that you've at least answered about the meds. Zoloft and Abilify are great medications and can do really wonderful things for people, but you need to stay on top of it and keep going to treatment and not blow off appointments! If you have a cellphone, set an alarm every day to take your pills by - that can help you a lot to get (and stay) in the habit of taking them, and a lot of this kind of medication works better when it's taken at roughly the same time daily so you get that perk, too.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 16, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

You don't have to elaborate beyond a yes or no, but you are also going to therapy regularly, correct? This is a big question that's been asked a lot and you've sort of ignored, and it's really good that you've at least answered about the meds. Zoloft and Abilify are great medications and can do really wonderful things for people, but you need to stay on top of it and keep going to treatment and not blow off appointments!
Therapy is every Tuesday at 2 thru City of Chino Human Services. It's a teaching facility so while the sessions are $5, my therapist is a grad student and not a licensed professional. I'm still glad and appreciative that I'm getting the therapy; we've been starting to figure out my psychosis like how I hear my name called out at random. Incidentally, I'm hearing my name called out less and less at random.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you don't have a smartphone, you can put an alarm into a browser tab or page.

For Chrome, try Timer Tab. I'm using it right now to make sure I don't miss my therapy appointment.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Therapy is every Tuesday at 2 thru City of Chino Human Services. It's a teaching facility so while the sessions are $5, my therapist is a grad student and not a licensed professional. I'm still glad and appreciative that I'm getting the therapy; we've been starting to figure out my psychosis like how I hear my name called out at random. Incidentally, I'm hearing my name called out less and less at random.

That's excellent, Benny! Not only are you getting treatment, but you're setting up a routine schedule and sticking to it, which is going to help you get yourself a little more straightened out in the rest of your life. Any sort of a routine can help keep things from seeming too crazy and chaotic.

I know it's really hard to face mental health issues down, especially when you're somewhat newly diagnosed with them. People in this thread aren't trying to beat up on you - the fact of the matter is that most OP's don't even post in e/n until things get really bad, and you have to step back and realize that there are a lot of people here that are trying to offer you very reasonable and good advice and it's frustrating to see you just ignore it. It's good that you're at least replying to this little bit, though, and I do thank you for that!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you don't have a smartphone, you can put an alarm into a browser tab or page.

For Chrome, try Timer Tab. I'm using it right now to make sure I don't miss my therapy appointment.

Wunderlist is another really good, free one that will sync between computer, tablets and phones - I'm not 100% certain it has an alarm, but I use it to keep my classes straight and it's super useful!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

New e/n catchphrase: MY THERAPY

Dumbphones have alarms too, I used them for years.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Good on you taking your medications, Benny. I know everyone in this thread seems to want results NOW NOW NOW, but honestly you may not feel much different in the first month of taking medication. Maybe even the first two. But you WILL be getting better. It's just not as fast as Internet Comedy might demand. Medication and therapy should be your top priority above all else. The rest will come much easier when you are healthier.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I know it's hard doing new and scary things and it's very tempting to find a reason, any reason, not to move forward. As I said earlier, I was underemployed and working awful hours and so terrified of change/failure that I, like you, dug my heels in when people tried to help me. When it became apparent I had to do something to get them off my back, I put together a lovely resume and just shotgunned it everywhere without even writing a cover letter and without properly tailoring it the job description. Naturally no one called me back, and I used this as an excuse to justify where I was and it also exacerbated my depression.

Once I finally got it through my head that something had to change, I started applying myself, set some career goals, and restarted my job search in earnest. To my great surprise, I started getting interviews and job offers. It turns people were right after all, I wasn't doomed to lovely life of 50 hour work weeks and horrifically low wages. I got a job with a great company at a better wage.

It's ok if you need someone to hold your hand and kind of guide you step by step. It's what I needed. Now that I'm working on getting better, it's easier for me to problem solve on my own and not fall into the trap of making excuses or sabotaging my own efforts. But at first I did need everything laid out for me and I needed others to hold me accountable. Don't be afraid to ask for help here, people WANT to help you and if you need specifics that's fine. But please don't bury your head in the sand, it's really no way to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I just talked with my uncle The Captain my other uncle Bob. Both of them told me that City of Chino should call me for a test if I'm going on for the next step. That or I get letter in the mail saying "We're Sorry" and right now I'm hoping it's the latter. I've been talking to HR and they told me I should've gotten a response by now, so I'm hoping they sent out the rejections first.

And if you're wondering why I'm calling my uncle "The Captain", it's because he has a rather distinctive name.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 18, 2013

• Locked thread