Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

nrr posted:

Yeah, I remember this from back when I was looking at Blues JRs after ML recommended them. Any tips on which mods I should look into? The obvious one to start with would be switching out the Eminence speaker. I remember hearing good things about the Greenbacks, but I've never done any amp mods before so I don't really know what I should be looking for.

When I had one I replaced the first 12ax7 with a 12AU7. It increases clean headroom and gives it a more traditional Fender sound and seemed to make it get along better with pedals. There also the tone stack mod that makes the EQ behave like it does on a twin, so if you turn down all the EQ it actually kills the entire signal, that just creates more tonal possibilities. My main gripe with the BLues Jr. is that it really does't sound like I want a Fender to sound, it's not bad but a 15w Princeton is in a whole other league than a 15w Blues Jr.

As far as speakers go, I really don't like the stock Jensens Fender uses in their lower level stuff. I think they are shrill and farty when you push them. When I first got my Princeton I hated the special Jensen in it but it finally settled in and now I wouldn't think of replacing it. If you use pedals for dirt get at least a 25w speaker and I definitely second the weber recommendation, the site is also really good t explaining what all the options on a speaker do and why you should or shouldn't get them. Honestly I think any aftermarket speaker you swap in will be an improvement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Cool, thanks guys. This next week or two is going to be busy as poo poo for me so I'll probably miss out on that sale but it gives me some stuff to check out when I finally get a chance to breathe.

Swagulous
May 22, 2013

by Baldo di Gregorio
I have a crate SPA-1200 Rackmount amplifier, and I can't seem to find any info on it... ANYWHERE! I think it's the 1200 at least, I don't have it in front of me at the moment so I can't look! This is exactly what it looks like:

Does ANYONE have ANY info on this bad boy? I've been using it to power my Alesis Studio1 MKIIs for a while now, and it sounds great and has a decent amount of power - But I'm ready to sell my monitors and I'm including this with it. So if ANYBODY had ANY info on it, PLEASEEEEEE help me out! I'm interested to see some more info on this bad boy and maybe get a price tag too.
Thanks!

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

nrr posted:

Yeah, I remember this from back when I was looking at Blues JRs after ML recommended them. Any tips on which mods I should look into? The obvious one to start with would be switching out the Eminence speaker. I remember hearing good things about the Greenbacks, but I've never done any amp mods before so I don't really know what I should be looking for.

If you're looking at getting one new, then getting an FSR (Fender Special Run) would be the way to go, they're the ones with different tolex colors. They also have decent speakers. The "After the Gold Rush" one has a vintage 30, one of them has a Cannibis Rex, I believe some have different jensens, you get the idea. There are a few different ones in my old store, the two tone burgundy/cream one is my personal favorite.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How's the jcm900 compared to the jcm800? I've heard an 800 but haven't gotten the chance to play a 900 an there's a 50w version for 600 bucks at a guitar center near me. Basically it'd just be for heavy metal.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I've got an opportunity to pick up, what I think, is an early 80's Peavey Deuce VT series for $200. I just got done playing around on it and I like the way it sounds a lot actually. A lot of you guys know I play a lot of country and this amp can be really spanky, I also think it's gonna sound good with my pedal steel.

My gut says buy it, and so does my brain. What do you guys say?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There's a Mace at my practice place that I believe is the more powerful version of the Deuce. On guitar it sounds like Skynyrd, also sounds pretty good as a bass amp.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Francodipshit posted:

How's the jcm900 compared to the jcm800? I've heard an 800 but haven't gotten the chance to play a 900 an there's a 50w version for 600 bucks at a guitar center near me. Basically it'd just be for heavy metal.

People like them less than the 800s, generally. I believe they have different or additional gain stages as compared to an 800.

Quicksand's first record was mostly JCM900s, I believe. And if it's good enough for Walter, it's good enough for you!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I looked up some schematics and reviews after that post an learned it had a really lovely gain stage. So I don't think I'll be picking that amp up.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

People definitely like it less than the 800, but it's not a bad amplifier. It sounds like a modern Marshall, if that's what you're going for.

Try and check out a Sovtek Mig 60, if you can get your hands on one. They can sometimes be had for very little money.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

So I've got an opportunity to pick up, what I think, is an early 80's Peavey Deuce VT series for $200. I just got done playing around on it and I like the way it sounds a lot actually. A lot of you guys know I play a lot of country and this amp can be really spanky, I also think it's gonna sound good with my pedal steel.

My gut says buy it, and so does my brain. What do you guys say?

If it's in good condition $200 is a decent price. 80s Peaveys are seriously underrated.

jwh posted:

People like them less than the 800s, generally. I believe they have different or additional gain stages as compared to an 800.

The diode clipping stage upsets the corksniffers and bluesdads. They're perfectly fine.

Francodipshit posted:

I looked up some schematics and reviews after that post an learned it had a really lovely gain stage. So I don't think I'll be picking that amp up.

Have you listened to any youtube demos or better yet gone to play it in person? If you haven't heard it you might be surprised to find you like the tone.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

comes along bort posted:

The diode clipping stage upsets the corksniffers and bluesdads. They're perfectly fine.
That's reason enough to buy one, right there.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I need a cheap amp to sound like early smiths era marr, shoe gazey stuff with pedals. I am happy with loud and clean. Pedals can do the rest. I use a memory man, small stone, proco rat, boss od-2 and a midi verb 3. I would kinda like vibrato, or a sick chorus. I use a giant hall sound on the midiverb so I dont need amp based verb. Anything awesome and clean. Suggestions?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
JC-120

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've never posted here before, but I was hoping some of you could help me. I just scored a Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 from a guy on Craigslist. I tested it at his house and everything is in working order (except the reverb, but these amps are notorious for this). The issue is that instead of an output jack it's got some weird cable with some old type of connection that they clearly don't use anymore. Worse off is it appears that he did some shoddy repair work by cutting off half of the original wire and then using electrical tape to put another one there. That whole bit looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen, aside from the fact that I don't think modern cabs have that hookup. This is what the amp looks like (this is just an example I found online, I don't actually have the cab):

So basically I was wondering if I can just get rid of the weird and likely dangerous cable and install a normal input jack. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what cab would go good with this, I'd love to hear. I prefer something of decent quality, but not too expensive. Also I'd like something that can handle lots of gain, high frequencies, and etc.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Rkelly posted:

I need a cheap amp to sound like early smiths era marr, shoe gazey stuff with pedals. I am happy with loud and clean. Pedals can do the rest. I use a memory man, small stone, proco rat, boss od-2 and a midi verb 3. I would kinda like vibrato, or a sick chorus. I use a giant hall sound on the midiverb so I dont need amp based verb. Anything awesome and clean. Suggestions?

For awesome and clean, look towards solid-state amps, one of the best regarded SS amp you can find these days is the ZT Lunchbox. It's advertised as a 200w monster, in actuality it's closer to 60w. So it's pretty loud but not loud enough to compete with, say, an Ampeg V4. Personally, I'd say it's a hit-or-miss affair, it's got a tube-like warmth and a gain knob that goes from clean to slight overdrive to enhance the illusion. But when I tried it I found that I didn't really care for the mid-heavy sound. But that said, it works for Post-Punk sounds as it's used by Nels Cline, Jeff Tweedy, Thurston Moore, Lee Ronaldo, and Will Sergeant.

But when you say Shoegaze, the shoegaze amp used by pioneers and their followers is the Roland JC-120. Helps that it's the standard that all solid-state amps reach for. Unfortunately because of that it's pretty drat popular, ergo, it doesn't come cheap, however you can find some of the rest of the Jazz Chorus family for cheap(ish) depending on where you live and how diligently you follow ebay/craigslist. That said, you can also get any member of the Roland Cube series all of which have a JC emulation as well as great quality effects; and will probably find the cheapest out of anything you ask for.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I saw Lee Renaldo in a small club recently and he was using a Princeton Chorus.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You can find a JC120 for less than $400 on craigslist if you look. They're big motherfuckers and go for cheap because of it. Great amp. Essentially two 60-watt amps rather than a single 120-watt one. Recordings don't convey how amazying and dreamy that chorus is when it's right in front of you.

Alternatively, any old silverface Fender.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

So I'm looking for an amp for a very simplistic indie/post-punk outfit. Think Vaccines or Bloc Party I guess. I'll be putting a Tele and probably a Strat through it; and I need that kind of chimey barre chord sound that has a bit of grit to it, too.

Obviously my first thought was a Hot Rod Deluxe or something similar; but that's far too loud unfortunately. So basically I need an amp that would give me that sparkly indie sound, usable for gigs, but not so loud that my housemates murder me in my sleep. Any ideas?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vox AC-30

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Not empty quoting this.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

I always end up liking how a 15 sounds a lot more

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was going to recommend the 15 because I'm kinda sure it's powerful enough to cut above the mix, but I erred on the side of caution and suggested the 30.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Schlieren posted:

I always end up liking how a 15 sounds a lot more

Just adding on a similar note;

Look at the Vox Night Train it can be bright and sparkly, and can be cheaper than a combo if you have a cab already (or you might be lucky and find a cheap cab anyways). I use the triode mode and its quiet enough for bedroom playing; I'd assume that the pentode mode would possibly work for gigs (tbh, I haven't ever gigged with it).

Also look at my post about solid state amps a few posts up.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 18, 2013

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

The AC15 sounds like it would be right up my street, no idea how I didn't think of it earlier. Thanks!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

SomeJazzyRat posted:

That said, you can also get any member of the Roland Cube series all of which have a JC emulation as well as great quality effects; and will probably find the cheapest out of anything you ask for.

Although a fairly small amp, I'm still in love with my Roland Cube 40XL still. The Dyna-amp setting is pretty awesome for noodling about with dynamics.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Adam Vegas posted:

The AC15 sounds like it would be right up my street, no idea how I didn't think of it earlier. Thanks!
The AC15 is now available with the Alnico Blue or "twin" with a second Greenback. I don't know if the Alnico Blue version has hit the street yet, but the twin is basically an AC15 in an AC30 chassis and well worth the extra $200.

Of course, Vox is chimey. If you want a jangly bedroomer (that you may have to mic for gigs) the Princeton reissue is the cat's rear end.

AND if you do find that you don't have gigging volume, just add an extension cabinet. A couple extra speakers make a world of difference.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I know the JCM800 is legendary, but the 900 was marshalls attempt to respond to the fact that people were modding their 800's for more gain.

When you play an 800 it becomes apparent as to WHY people were doing that, because it doesn't have as much gain as a modern player might be used to.

What I'm saying is, don't get caught in the hype and poo poo on the 900 without playing it, also there are quite a few variations of 900, some better than others.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You don't need that much gain anyways, whippersnappers

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I got an offer for a DSL40 combo for my Schecter C-8 + Boss MT-2 and CE-5. Good deal? I won't have the chance to try out the amp. I've heard it's a steal for the price but also some bad things about it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I got an offer for a DSL40 combo for my Schecter C-8 + Boss MT-2 and CE-5. Good deal? I won't have the chance to try out the amp. I've heard it's a steal for the price but also some bad things about it.

It's hard to say without knowing how much you were offered.

I'm not a fan of the DSL/TSL amps, but that's only because I don't like a ton of knobs and switches or channel-switching.

edit: woops, it's a trade. I misread that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

massive spider posted:

When you play an 800 it becomes apparent as to WHY people were doing that, because it doesn't have as much gain as a modern player might be used to.

On the other hand this is a tubescreamer and a JCM 800:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAcWw6CSUs

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

You don't need that much gain anyways, whippersnappers

Having played a jcm-800 in a melodeath band with no pedals I'll agree with this. Turn up your mids while you're at it too!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

field balm posted:

Turn up your mids while you're at it too!
Dear God this. Why are people so scared of that middle knob???

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

comes along bort posted:

On the other hand this is a tubescreamer and a JCM 800:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYAcWw6CSUs

Bolded the relevent part.

Not saying you cant do great poo poo with them, just that the JCM900 was/is a reasonable solution to the fact that a lot of people want more gain than the stock 800.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

iostream.h posted:

They often don't do much on amps that put the EQ circuit ahead of the preamplifier tube.

There is, though, that old trick of diming a Fender and setting the treble and bass pots to zero, and using the mid as a volume. It sounds weird to me, but it's kinda neat.

Interesting aside, the EQ preferentiality is to my mind the definitive difference between US and Brit amplifiers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

massive spider posted:

Not saying you cant do great poo poo with them, just that the JCM900 was/is a reasonable solution to the fact that a lot of people want more gain than the stock 800.

The 900 has a slightly different tonality from a boosted 800 though, which along with some quality issues is why a lot of people stuck with the older model. The first "serious" amp I ever played through was my cousin's 900 50w combo. No matter what you played it came out sounding like Morbid Angel.

Technically the Silver Jubilees were the first Marshalls with a diode clipping stage, and boy howdy do the same butt pirates who scoff at diode clipping cream their shorts over Slash's tone. Probably think he recorded all those songs with Les Pauls too.

iostream.h posted:

Scooped guitars with bass taking up a lot of midrange is actually pretty common in some death metal like Dying Fetus and Nile. It works really well in specific contexts.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 19, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
On my AVT150 I've started scooping the lead channels then from there dialing up the mid fairly high to bring a little back. Unscooped it just sounds loose and sloppy at the lower volume levels I play at, even with the mid EQ turned down. This would all probably change drastically if I were able to crank up the volume and open it up a bit.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Thanks for the tip-off about Hovercraft amps-- I have a Dwarvenaut mkii headed my way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

The 900 has a slightly different tonality from a boosted 800 though, which along with some quality issues is why a lot of people stuck with the older model. The first "serious" amp I ever played through was my cousin's 900 50w combo. No matter what you played it came out sounding like Morbid Angel.

Technically the Silver Jubilees were the first Marshalls with a diode clipping stage, and boy howdy do the same butt pirates who scoff at diode clipping cream their shorts over Slash's tone. Probably think he recorded all those songs with Les Pauls too.

Scooped guitars with bass taking up a lot of midrange is actually pretty common in some death metal like Dying Fetus and Nile. It works really well in specific contexts.
I know several guys who'd rather run modded 800s v/s the 900s due to (apparent) reliability issues, mainly with the tube sockets I think. I've never had an issue with the couple of 900s I've owned, but I dunno.

Yeah, believe me I know about the diode bullshit on the Jubs. Mine's everything from 'not a real Marshall' or someone ALWAYS feels the need to inform me that AFD was recorded with a modded Super Trem (or whatever, something like that, I don't understand why people need to tell me what was used on that album, and I LOVE AFD, just because I'm using a Jub) or that (and this is my favorite) 'Slash doesn't use P90s' (I don't understand why this even matters, I'm not in a Slash cover band) and on the other hand a lot of people absolutely flip their poo poo over it. It's a great amp, not the holy grail for everyone (although I absolutely love it) but again, I dunno. I don't get people sometimes. It's a rather uncommon amp, but especially in this day and age of such choice in EXCELLENT clone makers (Ceriatone's Jubilee clone sounds INCREDIBLE) there's no reason to really spaz on ANY particular model from any maker.

It may be common in death metal or whatever, but for an average bar band playing on Fri/Sat at the local hotspots mids HELP so people can freaking HEAR you. People comment all the time about how quiet my rhythm player is when I drop out to play lead and the problem is, I'm NOT any louder than he is, we're both at roughly the same level, he just has absolutely no presence to his sound.