Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

anyone grabbing a spare lone ranger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm not that in love with any of those mini-builds, there's no stand out one like their usually is for me.

EDIT: In fact ever since I started collecting the modular buildings I've only really been looking at sets/minifigs based on how well they would fit into my street scene - so a lot of the more exotic themes like Lone Ranger, Galaxy Squad, etc, have lost my interest.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 16, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm grabbing some random bricks from Lego's pick-a-brick site to polish up my Delorean a bit, and I'm kind of wondering what color the main grey bricks are considered in Lego color-naming parlance? "Medium Stone Grey"?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: UK peeps! Dreadful right wing rag, the Daily Mail, is giving away Lego sets this coming week! They will probably give you cancer and cause immigrants to live in your house! :siren:

Asylum seekers carry new strain of HIV that lowers house prices!

Also I'm envious of you UK folks getting free LEGO in your mail.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

So I'm grabbing some random bricks from Lego's pick-a-brick site to polish up my Delorean a bit, and I'm kind of wondering what color the main grey bricks are considered in Lego color-naming parlance? "Medium Stone Grey"?

Yup. The majority of the car is medium stone grey (AKA: grey, bluish grey, 'bley'). For comparison, the binoculars on the top of the car's roof are dark stone grey. Light stone grey is relatively uncommon.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Delorean arrived today! The pitfalls of having Lego show up at work; the box distracts me the entire afternoon as I wait for quitting time to assemble.

I'm a little bummed there aren't numbered bags. I'm really not a fan of the dump-and-spread-out-pieces method. It's just too easy to lose things.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Ville Valo posted:

Delorean arrived today! The pitfalls of having Lego show up at work; the box distracts me the entire afternoon as I wait for quitting time to assemble.

I'm a little bummed there aren't numbered bags. I'm really not a fan of the dump-and-spread-out-pieces method. It's just too easy to lose things.

Dump and spread is half of the adventure.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I just ran into this on Tumblr

"Oh cool, N64 made out of lego, brings back memo..."

It even comes with a controller.

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/366965

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

holy poo poo that is fantastic!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is the best. Jesus.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh my god, I want build instructions for that!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marine Detachment #3 - Model R1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I was just hitting up the PAB at the Bellevue Lego store. There was a guy in the store wearing a bowler hat.

With cogs hot glue gunned to the side....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Foo, can you try less military and more construction and utility mechs? Something like the Labors from Patlabor, I guess.

http://www.patlabor.info/labors.htm

Maybe would be a bit more involved, but I'd like to see what else you could pull off. Maybe try some logging robots!

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

What? You're crazy. If visitor counters were good enough in 1995 they should be good enough in 2015 dammit. :corsair:

They make a good chunk of change on the sales. However the guy who built it died a few years ago and the family consistently put in just enough to keep it going till they sold it this year. We'll see what the new owners do with it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Foo, can you try less military and more construction and utility mechs? Something like the Labors from Patlabor, I guess.

http://www.patlabor.info/labors.htm

Maybe would be a bit more involved, but I'd like to see what else you could pull off. Maybe try some logging robots!

I like military bots though!! I will look into more industrial things after I finish the current squad, though :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So the "radiator grille" pieces that came with the Delorean that look kinda chrome-ish, do they have a color name? I think I can refit part of the back and front end of the Delorean to make it more "screen accurate", but I need more of those grilles and I'm not sure what color they're considered on pick-a-brick.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I bought a galaxy squad set. Is it normal for lego to include stickers these days? Last thing I ever got before that was ice planet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Update- I've figured out the grille thing, but now I'm trying to hash out a way to mount a vertical grille piece behind the rear tires - it'll require retooling the assembly that the hose attaches to, and I've worked that part out (changing the black 1x3 tile above the wheel well to a black 1x2, moving the hose attachment to above the wheel well) but I'm working out how to get another "post" behind the wheel well. Right now there's just the one post that has a chrome stud on it, above 2 1x1 grey tiles and the slanted grey piece. I'm thinking I can replace the 2 1x1 pieces with something, but I'm not sure what. I'm not sure a 4211476 "angular brick" will work. Thoughts?

I'm also redesigning the front end a little bit to make it 8 studs wide instead of 7, so I can put a pair of chrome grilles on the front bumper. I've already worked that part out, though.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
quote="Captain Foo" post="418509557"]
I like military bots though!! I will look into more industrial things after I finish the current squad, though :)
[/quote]

Just watch "How it's Made" and start] making bots that makes products. I always wanted to know what makes the stuff that makes stuff.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

7thBatallion posted:

I was just hitting up the PAB at the Bellevue Lego store. There was a guy in the store wearing a bowler hat.

With cogs hot glue gunned to the side....

...were they at least Lego cogs?

Ka0 posted:

I bought a galaxy squad set. Is it normal for lego to include stickers these days? Last thing I ever got before that was ice planet.

The majority of Lego sets have stickers now. Printed bricks tend to be the exception.
Sometimes it's a good thing. If you want to use an uncommon piece in a MOC, but you can't because it's got googly eyes or some pattern incompatible with your MOC, you'd appreciate it if it were a sticker instead of a printed brick.
I tend to only apply stickers on common pieces or ones I can use in other themes, and only if they don't overlap multiple pieces.

My earliest set, my mom's old London Bus from the 70s, had stickers.

Xenomrph posted:

but I'm working out how to get another "post" behind the wheel well. Right now there's just the one post that has a chrome stud on it, above 2 1x1 grey tiles and the slanted grey piece. I'm thinking I can replace the 2 1x1 pieces with something, but I'm not sure what. I'm not sure a 4211476 "angular brick" will work. Thoughts?

Hard to say without having the set myself, but would something like 4654582 or 6000606 work?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
They remind me of Tente blocks from the late 80s. They also had stickers but the blocks were non-compatible with Lego. They had a wicked transforming robot line that required no dissassembly, though they were flimsy as hell.

Boobhead here was my favorite.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S5 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Stop making me want to build things with pieces I don't have!

quote:

Tente
Holy memories. I had this.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 17, 2013

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Those little yellow bastards are still floating around in my Lego buckets.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

ireladd posted:

Thank you, this lead me in a good direction, and what I ended up doing was adding Camper Van set to my want list, deleted all the pieces except the red ones, and then individually had to change the remaining parts to blue, only to discover most of the way in that there is no blue option for one or two of the pieces. Wish there was a way to batch color swap to test quickly. Ah well.

You could use Rebrickable to export a BrickLink compatible XML file, then using a text editor, do a find and replace for all the <color> tags replacing the red with your desired colour according to the color table here. You can then add this as a wish list using the "Wanted List Mass Upload" on Brick Link.

You could probably do something in Rebrickable to remove all non-red pieces beforehand, but I haven't checked.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Oh my. :fap:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not that in love with any of those mini-builds, there's no stand out one like their usually is for me.

EDIT: In fact ever since I started collecting the modular buildings I've only really been looking at sets/minifigs based on how well they would fit into my street scene - so a lot of the more exotic themes like Lone Ranger, Galaxy Squad, etc, have lost my interest.

I mainly collect the Creator buildings and occasionally grab a minifig when I see them at Target and so far they've all managed to fit into my street of houses pretty well. I've got King Neptune sitting on the dock of my Lighthouse (5770), the bride minifig is getting married on the lawn of the Hillside House (5771) while the DJ stands on the balcony waving his hands in the air and the Knight and Dwarf are locked into deadly battle in the driveway of the Model Town House (4954).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, uh, Series 11 is out in the UK.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Marine Detachment #3 - Model R2 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

What are the best Kingdoms sets. I like big castles. I would ask for reccomendations on space sets but other than galaxy squad all I see are star wars licensed stuff that I do not care about.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are there any good Technic resources for general ideas and building tips? I find Rebrickable to be pretty obtuse and in general following somebody else's instructions leaves me at step 3 for not having all the right pieces.

Thanks, that's exactly what I had in mind. vvvv

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 18, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

http://sariel.pl/ has a fair amount of stuff, the guy also wrote a book, but I havnt had a chance to look at my copy yet.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Ha, there's a mistake in the Mobile Crane Mk II instructions. Build book #5 page 11 shows the two stickers to apply but have the diagram sides are flip/flopped from reality. The next page shows it right. I was REALLY confused for a moment.

Page 11:

vs

Page 12 (correct):

It's pretty small and inconsequential but it's the first error I've spotted in my life so I had to tell someone :v:

Side note, I'm disappointed that the instructions PDFs aren't vector images...

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
So is the blue 4x4 crawler set sold out forever now? My dad saw a picture of it and was pretty excited about it. He buys and builds technic and the creator sets only. I want to get him one for his upcoming birthday.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

If you are lucky a local lego store might still have one or still get a shipment. Also I think toysRus are getting some (At least in the US), but only local pickup, not online. I don't think the lego online store will get anymore. The scalpers are getting ridicules, as long as it was only discontinued sets I could live with it, but buying up all the limited edition sets is something else.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I picked up three of the crawler. :feelsgood:

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Ok, well gently caress paying $500 for something that was for sale for $200 only a week ago. Free country and all, ect, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Ika posted:

If you are lucky a local lego store might still have one or still get a shipment. Also I think toysRus are getting some (At least in the US), but only local pickup, not online. I don't think the lego online store will get anymore. The scalpers are getting ridicules, as long as it was only discontinued sets I could live with it, but buying up all the limited edition sets is something else.

How often does ToysRUs stock legos? I think they have a person come in and do it since I was there the other day and I saw a guy with a Lego ID tag stocking things on the shelf. A few days later and I realize now that I should have asked him if they had any of the crawlers, I guess I thought it was a Lego Store Exclusive so I didn't think of it at the time. If they did stock any I assume they are probably gone now :(