Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Persona 1 is loving trash, don't even bother.

Please don't bully Persona 1, it's really struggling with abandonment issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Alteisen posted:

If you REALLY wanna play an early Persona, try 2, its still poo poo but the story carries it somewhat.

This is it! The wrongest post on the forums.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/16/persona-3-characters-coming-to-upgraded-persona-4-arena

The dream is dead, P4A thing is arcade only.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Isn't that what they say about ALL fighting game updates when they're released, though?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm disappointed they didn't just go crazy and make a super P4 arena by expanding the roster a bunch. Add a few of the main dudes from 1 and 2 and I would rebuy the hell out of Arena again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

So yeah, we'll probably be getting a console update in the middle of next year.

DrManiac posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't just go crazy and make a super P4 arena by expanding the roster a bunch. Add a few of the main dudes from 1 and 2 and I would rebuy the hell out of Arena again.

This is probably exactly what it is.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dorroile posted:

Don't know what you're talking about, because he's 100% right. Persona 1 should only be approached as a curiosity (and even then, only the PSP version), and everything that's not the plot of Persona 2 is a joke.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I think you can get all the Personas released in the US on the PS3 marketplace. I don't have one so I can't confirm.

You can buy the PSP/Vita games, but you can't play them without those systems. P2: Eternal Punishment and P3:FES are the only Persona games playable on the PS3 (unless you have a BC one and a copy of P4 or Revelations: Persona).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

My only SMT experience currently is 4 but I just picked up Strange Journey. Anything I should know going in? Are there alignment based endings and should I aim for neutral in order to not destroy the world and kill my friends (those are 2nd playthrough things!)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Law is pretty much the best path in that one.

Chaos is the worst content-wise.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Awesome! posted:

My only SMT experience currently is 4 but I just picked up Strange Journey.

I'm sorry.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Awesome! posted:

My only SMT experience currently is 4 but I just picked up Strange Journey. Anything I should know going in? Are there alignment based endings and should I aim for neutral in order to not destroy the world and kill my friends (those are 2nd playthrough things!)

There are alignment-based endings, but it's not as hard to get neutral as it is in SMTIV. You can see your alignment based on your name color, and there's a repeatable quest later on that can let you buy into whichever alignment you want. Demons are also alignment-based and will either cost more or flat-out refuse to be in your party if you're on the other side of neutral.

The dungeons are all first person and are waaaaayyyy harder than SMTIV; tons of poison/sleep floors, hidden walls, teleport mazes, one-way paths, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. You'll want to look at maps by about the fourth or fifth sector, depending on your bullshit tolerance.

There's also a password feature you can abuse to summon demons, if you have the money for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Alignment endings are in but there's a repeatable thing you can do to change your alignment slowly so don't stress too hard.

Also, do not hesitate to start looking up maps in the later sectors, poo poo just gets loving mean. I spent the last third of the game with a constant GameFAQs tab up and I'm not ashamed of it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Awesome! posted:

Neutral's probably the best ending but in terms of content (available demons and whatnot) Neutral is the worst--there's a neutral-only sword but that's it, and it's not even the best sword. Law gives you the best sword, Chaos gives you the best gun. The best gun is definitely better than the best sword though, as that's what gives you your "magic." In terms of demons, Chaos hands-down gives you the most. In terms of alignment-specific demons, Chaos only gives you slightly more than Law, but there are a bunch of other, very powerful top-tier demons that require Chaos-only demons (or demons that require Chaos demons) as ingredients.

Overall content-wise it's Chaos > Law > Neutral but with Neutral being the best ending in terms of not loving everyone over. Chaos gets the most hilarious event though.

Also alignment manipulation is pretty easy since there's an optional event that will let you change your alignment to whatever you want if abused. There are certain Law-only and Chaos-only areas before the point of no return--you can use this to get in there, get the stuff you need and get out and still take whatever alignment path you want.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Say what?

In Chaos you don't get to fight the real last boss! Methinks that's quite a content omission.

Law by contrast gets that, plus the non-Neutral boss.

Also, the funny scene, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is painfully overrated.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 17, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mr. Swoon posted:

The dungeons are all first person and are waaaaayyyy harder than SMTIV; tons of poison/sleep floors, hidden walls, teleport mazes, one-way paths, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting.

Darkness.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Conveyor belts in darkness.
Sleep floors crawling with enemies that can instant kill you if you're asleep.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Wait, people don't like Strange Journey? I admit I only played about 10 hours of it, but I thought it was rad. The story in that one is definitely better than 4. I do like 4's story so far, though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Swoon posted:

The dungeons are all first person and are waaaaayyyy harder than SMTIV; tons of poison/sleep floors, hidden walls, teleport mazes, one-way paths, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. You'll want to look at maps by about the fourth or fifth sector, depending on your bullshit tolerance.

Eh, they're really not that bad. If you've ever played a classic dungeon crawler like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, or an Ultima prior to 7, Strange Journey's dungeons will seem tame in comparison. Whether or not you find SJ's dungeons obnoxious depends mostly on your tolerance for old-school dungeon crawlers, I think.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I found that SJ had a good start but kinda just collapsed onto itself as it went on. The story especially took a nose dive towards the end in my opinion.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I found that SJ had a good start but kinda just folded onto itself as it went on. The story especially took a nose dive towards the end in my opinion.

That's true of every SMT after the first, though.

Dec 26, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, they're really not that bad. If you've ever played a classic dungeon crawler like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, or an Ultima prior to 7, Strange Journey's dungeons will seem tame in comparison. Whether or not you find SJ's dungeons obnoxious depends mostly on your tolerance for old-school dungeon crawlers, I think.

The only one I really had issue with was Sector E, and that was more so an "I don't have time for this poo poo" than a "This is bullshit".

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

That's true of every SMT after the first, though.

I disagree. I felt that Nocturne and 4's story was pretty decent throughout. I never finished up 2 so I can't speak for that though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

For the record, I'm including Raidou Kuzunoha 2 in that assessment. That was an atrocity.

I suppose Raidou 1's endgame was decent enough that I can't justifiably call it a nosedive.

Nocturne's endgame was... there? The last sequences were boring on TDE. At least it wasn't Aradia, that path was as exciting as dishwater. The Hallels were cool I suppose.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most SMT game stories are really just serviceable if anything. I think Raidou 2 and DDS have legit good stories though, so take that for what it is.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alteisen posted:

If you REALLY wanna play an early Persona, try 2, its still poo poo but the story carries it somewhat.

Dorroile(@Alteisen) posted:

El Belmondo posted:

Please don't bully Persona 1, it's really struggling with abandonment issues.

Artix posted:

Don't know what you're talking about, because he's 100% right. Persona 1 should only be approached as a curiosity (and even then, only the PSP version), and everything that's not the plot of Persona 2 is a joke.

I have to ask why there's the disagreement on Persona 1 and 2. I understand that the games are much older, and the game-play is probably not as refined, but people are making them out to be really abysmal.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

01011001 posted:

The only one I really had issue with was Sector E, and that was more so an "I don't have time for this poo poo" than a "This is bullshit".

That I can see--teleport and pit-mazes have always been and always will be obnoxiously time-consuming. It's a far cry from the "teleport and pit mazes with darkness and spinners and antimagic squares all at once" of the old school dungeon crawlers but it's certainly a throwback to them. My main beef was that was that the in-game map didn't have a way to mark where teleporters sent you. I'm OK (well, not so much any more) with busting out the graph paper for a dungeon crawler on PC--not so much on the DS.

ed:

Max Wilco posted:

I have to ask why there's the disagreement on Persona 1 and 2. I understand that the games are much older, and the game-play is probably not as refined, but people are making them out to be really abysmal.

I think it's because they're radically different games that appeal to a completely different type of gamer than Persona 3 and 4 would. They're not even really comparable.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 17, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

For the record, I'm including Raidou Kuzunoha 2 in that assessment. That was an atrocity.
How was punking the poo poo out of everything up to Shinado an atrocity?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Persona 1 and 2 don't really have much in common with Persona 3 and 4. They have Igor but they have Demon Negotiation still as a thing, also no such thing as S. Links. They suffered from really awful localization the first time around too.

The combat in Persona 1 used a lot of weird hitboxes on a grid that didn't seem necessary, so that's a thing. Also the character recruitment early game is obnoxious, as is the fact that it basically has two story modes that diverge in the first part of the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Each character also splits xp from battles unevenly based on what they did in the fight in Persona 1, which is a really stupid mechanic and bugs me way more than it probably should.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Persona 1 is archaic. It really is. Its old and obnoxious to play, despite having some interesting elements.

Persona 2 series is a far more even and refined experience in comparison to the first. That said a lot of people really like press turns, and this games combat doesn't have them.

Those games don't have sim elements, so if you really need to pretend to have a japanese boyfriend/girlfriend you probably won't like them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zoness posted:

The combat in Persona 1 used a lot of weird hitboxes on a grid that didn't seem necessary, so that's a thing.

Eugh, so the same crap they use in Soul Hackers? :gonk:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually really liked Strange Journey, but the dungeons eventually got really frustrating. I thought the music was awesome and enjoyed the aesthetic.

Wrapping up SMT4 and I definitely like it more. The difference for me was that SJ started awesome and became less awesome while SMT4 did the opposite.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Zoness posted:

Persona 1 and 2 don't really have much in common with Persona 3 and 4. They have Igor but they have Demon Negotiation still as a thing, also no such thing as S. Links. They suffered from really awful localization the first time around too.

The combat in Persona 1 used a lot of weird hitboxes on a grid that didn't seem necessary, so that's a thing. Also the character recruitment early game is obnoxious, as is the fact that it basically has two story modes that diverge in the first part of the game.

Only Persona 1 had a bad localization. P2 was slightly clunky, but for the 90s it was pretty good. The worst part was Tatsuya's voice acting by far.

Also I love Strange Journey and so far I consider it and SMTIV to be about equal. I have compliments and complaints about both in more or less equal numbers. Then again, I love dungeon crawlers so if you don't like the idea of exploration bringing pain then you probably won't like SJ as much.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I must be weird. I've liked SJ, Soul Hackers, and Persona 1 and 2:IS. P3P was tons of fun, and I need to go poke at Persona 4.

Though yeah, XP by what you did in the fight in Persona 1 was obnoxious.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Pollyanna posted:

Eugh, so the same crap they use in Soul Hackers? :gonk:

But the battle system in Soul Hackers was good :confused:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
>100 posts in the SMT thread? Oh boy I bet we're rehashing which games in the series are any good!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Max Wilco posted:

Because they are.

P1 has a weird exp system, a terrible grid based fighting system, negotiation is at its worst and the encounter rate is off the charts, the only positive it had was the music in the original PS1 release, then they poo poo all over that with the PSP remake.

P2 has a good story but the gameplay holds it back, the encounter rate is higher than ever, negotiation still blows and the system to get other personas is really obnoxious.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
The Persona PSP remake was totally worth it even if this is all we got from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1gIvkW1Jo

But really, I enjoyed it. Turn it to easy, look up how to cheese most of the battles, and just play it for the story, which is pretty darn good. I find P2 a little harder to get into, but it's definitely good too. Play the PSX versions and use Gameshark or whatever to lower the encounter rate and increase the EXP payout. That's all it takes to make them really enjoyable.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd like it if they weren't OP as gently caress but still good. There's no reason to nerf a character into the ground because they were OP, that's what happened to Sean in Third Strike and it's still an injustice to people who play those characters.

...Also please buff Chie some more ArcSys, I need her to be the best.

I mean, yeah, I don't actually want them to get completely trashcanned. Secretly I just want them brought in line with the other characters instead of being as stupidly good as they are now. Same goes for SLabrys and Narukami. I'm mostly joking about that because fuuuuuuuuck playing a good Mitsuru or Aigis blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Max Wilco posted:

The first MegaTen game I ever played was Persona 1 on the PS1 about 5 years ago, and I emerged from the experience believing it to be the worst time I had ever had with a JRPG. I can't think of any other I've played at the moment that I enjoyed less.

Conversely I immediately followed it up with both P2 games, and had the complete opposite reaction; I'd call P2 one of the greatest experiences I've ever had in a JRPG. The gameplay is much more manageable and the story is the best thing Atlus has ever written.