Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
I'm jealous of that otter picture - at the zoo both of them were out and playing, but I couldn't get a good shot over the glass, and hundreds of kid hands smearing the glass made it impossible to get a decent shot. Oh well.

These are from the San Francisco Zoo.

Chimpanzees at San Francisco Zoo by wanderingaperture, on Flickr

A beautiful Macaw at San Francisco Zoo by wanderingaperture, on Flickr

This one was another bother, the new baby Tiger was out and about and totally inquisitive about people, but the drat glass made this one turn out to be the best, unfortunately.

San Francisco Zoo by wanderingaperture, on Flickr

I love the fishing cat. My mind was blown that it was out and about and actually social this time.

Fishing Cat at San Francisco Zoo by wanderingaperture, on Flickr

Monkey at San Francisco Zoo by wanderingaperture, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Golden Lion Tamarin by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Pygmy Marmoset by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Green frogs! Protofrogs, minifrogs, big frogs!

20130708-_MG_6607 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

20130705-_MG_6491 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

20130704-_MG_6345 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hay lapa no ya, Solo! Ha ha ha ha ha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A few from the California Coast. Never thought I'd see pups this close. Wish the lighting was better but that's what I get for being lazy on vacation.

sea-otter-pups2 1450 on Flickr

sea-otter-pups4 1452 on Flickr

sea-otter-pups5 1453 on Flickr

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Bugs kinda count, right?

DSC_1682 by dedianmn, on Flickr

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I work at a zoo, so when I get off work early some days I change into my civvies and see what the animals are up to.

DSC_1250 by Robert_Guzman, on Flickr

DSC_1213 by Robert_Guzman, on Flickr

DSC_1135 by Robert_Guzman, on Flickr

DSC_1179 by Robert_Guzman, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dedian posted:

Bugs kinda count, right?

DSC_1682 by dedianmn, on Flickr

Probably more for the Wildlife thread or the macro thread. Great shot though, well done.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm retarded. Ignore me.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Anyone using a full frame body? Would a Canon 400mm f/5.6 provide enough reach on one? I'll be primarily shooting small mammals and birds.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty close to my crop + 300mm. It works most of the time although I certainly wouldn't want to go shorter. Unfortunately for longer reach you can go a little farther with one of the Sigma zooms, or shell out major money for something longer (or similar length and fast/good enough to take a TC).

I'm still half-considering getting something like an OM-D + an old Nikon 400 FD for a manual focus solution.

e: and I end up having to crop most of my wildlife pics

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 26, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

A few from the California Coast. Never thought I'd see pups this close. Wish the lighting was better but that's what I get for being lazy on vacation.

sea-otter-pups2 1450 on Flickr

sea-otter-pups4 1452 on Flickr

sea-otter-pups5 1453 on Flickr

Very cute! The lighting looks fine too - you have shadow and highlight detail in there, which is not always the case with pictures taken on water.
Did you take these near Monterrey?

The weather's been pretty consistently grey up in Humboldt so I haven't been out filming much, but I like these shots from the undergrowth:

Scaly chanterelles:

A banana slug peering out from the shadows of a fallen log:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moon Potato posted:

Very cute! The lighting looks fine too - you have shadow and highlight detail in there, which is not always the case with pictures taken on water.
Did you take these near Monterrey?

--

A banana slug peering out from the shadows of a fallen log:

This is amazing.

Thanks- this was actually Morro Bay this time. Monterey and Moss Landing are also great places to see them though.

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Instrumedley posted:

Anyone using a full frame body? Would a Canon 400mm f/5.6 provide enough reach on one? I'll be primarily shooting small mammals and birds.

I'll sometimes use a 5DIII with a 300 f/4L + 1.4X extender, which would be very similar to your plan, but I rarely start that way because of it's shortness. I'll normally start with the same lens combo on a 60D and only switch bodies if light dictates it, or the subject is close.

I can tell you that the main thing I've learned from this is that I want a used 500 f/4L version I and/or a 7DII (when one comes out). =)

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Not really the best content for this thread, but it reminds me too much of the title not to be posted.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like four guys didn't read the pamphlet on dealing with bear encounters.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Moon Potato posted:

A river otter mother and two pups

I'm really thrilled to have gotten this last one. It took almost three years living in this area before I caught more than a fleeting glimpse of a river otter.

Where do you live?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

TLG James posted:

Where do you live?

I'm in Humboldt county, California. I had seen a few river otters before, but they fish by swimming around the reeds at the edges of rivers/marshes to scare out fish, so you usually just see the tops of their heads as they go by.

I had an encounter with a very patient and calm red-legged frog yesterday:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Moon Potato posted:

I'm in Humboldt county, California. I had seen a few river otters before, but they fish by swimming around the reeds at the edges of rivers/marshes to scare out fish, so you usually just see the tops of their heads as they go by.

I had an encounter with a very patient and calm red-legged frog yesterday:

That's fantastic. What a handsome looking frog.

SwiftTheFox
Jun 2, 2007

Prince Hotbod, at your service.
I went to the Fort Worth Zoo about 2 months ago and these are some of my favorites from that day.

IMG_8670 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

IMG_8529 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

IMG_8621 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

Then this weekend I crawled around my backyard chasing rabbits.

IMG_9311 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
They're good. I like 'em. Last one is the best.

Wish the second hoof was in the frame on the zebra photo though.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Little crabby in Cinque Terra

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Who wants to see Kangaroos? Of course you do...

Orroral Valley, ACT. Site of a former satellite tracking station. Very near to Honeysuckle Creek which provided the world with the first pictures from Apollo 11. Fun fact.

I have never seen so many of them anywhere.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Skunk near the visitor center at a nearby regional park. Pretty funny to see several grown-rear end men lying prone on the ground taking pics, then when the skunk started wandering our way, getting up and backing away really quickly. Probably would have been even funnier if we'd let the 5 year olds with the water pistols get their wish to see what happens if you shoot a skunk with water.

skunk at coyote-hills 1455 on Flickr

skunk at coyote-hills 1456 on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm coming to the realization that it's really difficult to do good insect macro shots without a proper macro lens, and without focus stacking.

LiterallyABee by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

Goositude by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

I liked how you can see the horizon line (and a white honkey with a d7k if you zoom) in the goose's eye.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Zooming with your feet may get you mauled headbutted face-nuzzled

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cross-posting from Critterquest because Borneo is amazing! Save up some dollars and go!

Picnic Princess posted:

Here's a bunch of awesome animals I saw in Bako National Park, Borneo, Malaysia on May 14. We were there to study and have lectures on biodiversity, and I have to say that there's really no better place to do it. We arrived mid-morning to the park by boat.

Juvenile stick insect by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Xylocopa sp. by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Blue crabs by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Borneo Hermit Crab by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Mudskippers by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Wagler's Pit Viper by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Green Crested Lizard by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Wild Boar by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Wild Boar by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Flying Lemur by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Silverlight Monkey by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Long-tail Macaque by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Proboscis Monkey by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

And then we went for lunch :smug:

A couple bonus shots:

Bako NP by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr
This guy was filming a documentary for National Geographic, it's supposed to be Planet Earth style. So in the future, you see a NG doc featuring a ton of mudskippers, remember that I was there!

Kuching Kucing by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr
The city of Kuching, Malaysia has cat monuments and statues all over the place. The Malay word for cat is "kucing", so the city adopted cats as their mascot.

Next post: Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Interesting, I've never heard those guys referred to as 'silverlight' before.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

With some research, I agree with you. Apparently they're more commonly known as silver leaf monkeys. My guides were 100% saying silverlight, but I should probably change it.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Oh, I'm not saying it's wrong at all; most species of leaf monkeys can have any number of names, depending on where you are in the world. I just never heard that one before and thought it sounded cool.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I had another otter encounter at sunset yesterday.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Have a lazy, lazy seal

Evening at Alexandra 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

and an inquisitive hare

Working on Dome 86 by Execudork, on Flickr

Both taken with my ancient Takumar 500mm f/4.5; the hare hand-held. I got some reactions when I dove into my tent and came out 10 seconds later waving that thing around - the hare went right through our campsite.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

and an inquisitive hare

Working on Dome 86 by Execudork, on Flickr

Both taken with my ancient Takumar 500mm f/4.5; the hare hand-held. I got some reactions when I dove into my tent and came out 10 seconds later waving that thing around - the hare went right through our campsite.

Owns. Is that one of those gigantic, bash someone's head in and keep shooting lenses?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Owns. Is that one of those gigantic, bash someone's head in and keep shooting lenses?

Flickr says the focal length was 100mm. :v:

So it could have been a giant lens, but wasn't necessarily.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

xzzy posted:

Flickr says the focal length was 100mm. :v:

So it could have been a giant lens, but wasn't necessarily.

He said it was taken with the tak 500/4.5

They are definitely of the kill everyone in the room and then take a picture of a bird across the street variety.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh oops, I totally ignored the post and went straight to the flickr exif. :downs:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A couple critters from a short trip to Big Sur:

California ground squirrel

A bobcat came slinking past camp before the sun was all the way up

And back in Humboldt County, a bull elk with some grass and ferns still on his antlers from rutting

I'm trying to get some footage of bulls locking horns this season - the herds have been mostly absent from their usual spots as of late, probably due to an influx of tourists, but I'm hoping that changes after Labor Day.

The red-legged frogs are out in force in the coastal spruce forests now

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005

Took this while on safari last January in Tarangire National Park, Tanzania. Just started a 500px account, so there's nothing else on there yet. Really trying to keep it clean, unlike my Flickr.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lovely photo.

Looks like I'm going to be hitting the Galapagos Islands next year. Having recently retired, my parents are in a phase of holidays to once-in-a-life-time locations. So far this has been with friends, but my Mum decided this one should be a family holiday and so I get to blow some of my own inheritance.

Got a week long cruise booked up that should let us see most of the major species, but missing the breeding albatross being my excuse to go back someday. Before get to the Islands, we're be spending some time in the Ecuadorian jungle.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Moved to Fairbanks, Alaska 10 days ago, bought my first DSLR only a couple days ago, came home last night to find a moose in my backyard. Oh Alaska!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moose are only cute the first few times. Eventually you'll regard them as pests that will kick your rear end if you mess around with them.