Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also could anyone identify this chair?
http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3961247295.html

I'm scheduled to see it later today, but I know nothing about it other than it cost $500 retail and she's getting rid of it for $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The back tilt on my Leap V1 has broken. It will stay locked in the first two upright positions, but anything behind that it falls back to the most reclined positions. What are the likely culprits here, and is it something I might be able to fix myself?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DevCore posted:

Also could anyone identify this chair?
http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3961247295.html

I'm scheduled to see it later today, but I know nothing about it other than it cost $500 retail and she's getting rid of it for $75.

Looks like some sort of Steelcase. I think it's the "think."

Yeah: http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/think/pages/overview.aspx

It's a good chair. I sit in one all day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like some sort of Steelcase. I think it's the "think."

Yeah: http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/think/pages/overview.aspx

It's a good chair. I sit in one all day.

On the opposite side, in my office everyone's got mesh Leaps at their desks and fabric Thinks in the conference rooms. Spending more time at my desk, I'm glad it's not the other way around, as I slightly prefer the Leaps for all day work.

That said, for $75 that's pretty swell. I'd buy one for my home use at $75.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Got it, it's pretty good for $75, much better than the chair I was using before.
I just wish it had a locking seat angle, I like mine at a negative angle so I'm slightly leaning back/cradled.
However, from the manual it doesn't look like the Leap has that feature either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The knob attached to the seat height lever changes the tension on the seat back. It's not perfect, but can help limit how far back you go.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
All this time I've been sitting in an Aeron at work and I didn't know it. I can't believe how expensive these things are. I guess I haven't been crazy to go out of my way to sit in one when they're free.

Although, considering how much I've spent on Office Depot type chairs in the last 10 years or so, it's probably a good investment. Thanks thread.

Anyone with experience ordering a custom Aeron know if prices are pretty much the same no matter where you go? A cursory search leads me to assume yes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This might be kinda silly, but I'm thinking about getting a chair mat now, and I just thought I'd stop by here again to see if there was anything that's either crazy good or crazy bad.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sylvyfish posted:

Anyone with experience ordering a custom Aeron know if prices are pretty much the same no matter where you go? A cursory search leads me to assume yes.

Pretty much, and if you see some crazy cheap price, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. For example, the Aeron comes in Basic and 'Fully Loaded' at about a $200 difference. You really want the FL, as the whole point is to be able to adjust the chair to fit you ergonomically.

There's also used on ebay. If you hunt, you should be able to get a FL for around $450, which is about 50% of what it costs new. The one I found still had 2 years of warranty left (i.e. it was 10 years old.) that HM honored when I needed a new adjuster bolt thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hooah posted:

This might be kinda silly, but I'm thinking about getting a chair mat now, and I just thought I'd stop by here again to see if there was anything that's either crazy good or crazy bad.

The plastic ones? Don't, they ruin your carpet. Put down a thick throw rug instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A big plastic mat has always made the carpet under it all smashed and hosed up. I rolled my chair around on just the carpet for over a year with no damage to it. The wheels of the chair are always on a different part of the carpet, whereas all of the carpet is smashed with a mat. Getting a rug wouldn't hurt to handle damage from rolling the chair.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, the carpet's not a big concern since our landlord plans to replace it after we vacate anyway, since it's been quite a while. My concern is that when I roll around (which is difficult anyway), the carpet bunches up a bit in front of the wheels.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
Anyone know when I can actually buy a Mirra 2 in stores?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The back tilt on my Leap V1 has broken. It will stay locked in the first two upright positions, but anything behind that it falls back to the most reclined positions. What are the likely culprits here, and is it something I might be able to fix myself?

I know it's the same page, but this is a slow thread so I'm going to self-quote just to make sure nobody has any idea about this before I start saving money for a new chair.

Kore
Dec 28, 2012
Do you guys think $650 for a brand new Steelcase Leap is a good deal?

I use it everyday at work and I love it, it has incredible lumbar support. I want to buy one for my computer at home (games, finances, etc). My husband says he doesn't want to spend more than $300, but he also hasn't been on a Steelcase Leap like I have.

Edit: I've checked craigslist and eBay. Nobody sells those around where I live.

Kore fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2013

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Can anyone ID this chair? Owner said its a Steelcase. Worth picking up for $25?

This is? http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion/pages/overview.aspx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Optiquest fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 17, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Optiquest posted:

This is? http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/criterion/pages/overview.aspx

Yeah, its a criterion. If its not best to hell, $25 is not bad at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate left a similar mesh chair without a headrest that I use at home, but it seems a headrest might be nice for when I watch videos? This thing is $104 after 20% coupon:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Technical-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black/product_990119

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Headrests on office chairs are bad for you. It makes your neck weak.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

SoupyTwist posted:

Where did you get the Embody for that price?

Ottawa Business Interiors

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Optiquest posted:

I have two of those that I picked up on Craigslist for $25 each. It's great for dicking around on the internet a few hours a day, and my wife likes them for sewing because she can move the armrests around very easily.
I use a Leap at work, and work from home one day a week or so. If I was, like, a full-time WoW gold farmer or worked more days from home, I'd probably want something nicer.
They're a great value for $25.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Well I picked up the criterion from craigslist. She ended up having Herman Miller Aeron and I bought them both for under $100. The day before I picked up a different Criterion for a little bit more just cause I didn't think she was gonna get back to me and my current chair used 2 pillows for a seat. So now I have 3 office chairs in my living room...

canyoneer posted:

I have two of those that I picked up on Craigslist for $25 each. It's great for dicking around on the internet a few hours a day, and my wife likes them for sewing because she can move the armrests around very easily.
I use a Leap at work, and work from home one day a week or so. If I was, like, a full-time WoW gold farmer or worked more days from home, I'd probably want something nicer.
They're a great value for $25.

Google says they go for $800+ new. What did you have in mind that would be better?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo you pretty much robbed her. Nicely done.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Let me rephrase.
That is, I spend most of my day at work, and at work I sit in a Leap.
The Criterion is a great chair for me to use at home. If I was spending 8-12 hours a day regularly in my home office chair, I'd probably want something more adjustable like the Leap.

converge
Jan 8, 2006

NoDamage posted:

Yep. I bought mine in Feb 2013 and it says manufactured in Mexico.

Thinking about buying a second Leap but I'm having a hard time swallowing a $900 chair that's now made in Mexico.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I stumbled across this article

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair-is-the-steelcase-leap/

That mentions the ikea Marcus and has a link to it.

What do you guys think? I don't work from it, just play lots of computer games, but I can hang with 200 bucks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Saxophone posted:

So I stumbled across this article

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair-is-the-steelcase-leap/

That mentions the ikea Marcus and has a link to it.

What do you guys think? I don't work from it, just play lots of computer games, but I can hang with 200 bucks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I love my Markus, although I would like more padding and any level of adjustment in the armrests. In terms of "real" ergonomics, it's not super-adjustable and it's got a headrest, but it also has a lumbar support, a mesh back and good cushioning on the seat.

So it's probably not the "best" chair you can get for $200, but the "best" at that price point is probably going to be something used anyway.

I wi

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anyone have any good suggestions for a good standing desk setup? I was looking at the Kangaroo Pro and that looks pretty much like what I want, but it does run around $500. I only need one for one monitor, but I do need a decent amount of keyboard+mouse space.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions for a good standing desk setup? I was looking at the Kangaroo Pro and that looks pretty much like what I want, but it does run around $500. I only need one for one monitor, but I do need a decent amount of keyboard+mouse space.

If you want to spend less than $500 then you may as well just roll your own. I see a trip to Home Depot in your future.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Lego ikea things together.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-9765409831973227%3A9587730844&ie=UTF-8&q=standing&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=standing&gsc.page=1

Like this http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/expedit-standing-desk.html

The cheapest option is to combine various ikea desks together to produce a standing desk, or if you want a sitting desk combo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Lego ikea things together.
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-9765409831973227%3A9587730844&ie=UTF-8&q=standing&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=standing&gsc.page=1

Like this http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/04/expedit-standing-desk.html

The cheapest option is to combine various ikea desks together to produce a standing desk, or if you want a sitting desk combo.

It kinda defeats the purpose of a standing desk to have to look down at your monitors.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Personally I sprung for an electric height-adjustable desk base (like this) and paired it with an Ikea kitchen countertop as the desk surface. I like having the ability to transition between standing and sitting in my normal chair (in this case, a Leap).

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

NoDamage posted:

Personally I sprung for an electric height-adjustable desk base (like this) and paired it with an Ikea kitchen countertop as the desk surface. I like having the ability to transition between standing and sitting in my normal chair (in this case, a Leap).

For the amount that costs you might as well get an actual sit/stand desk instead of just the base.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Chasiubao posted:

For the amount that costs you might as well get an actual sit/stand desk instead of just the base.
Eh, when I was researching the purchase I couldn't find any desks in the size I wanted that would have cost less than buying the base and table top separately.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Chasiubao posted:

It's actually pretty common to buy the base and top separately when it comes to height adjustable tables. Most of the time the base manufacturers are in a different state or country, but there are local custom laminate manufacturers everywhere.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I got my Herman Miller Embody chair on Thursday. I got it in all black with the balance material and arm rests. After some back pain, due to poor sitting habits, this chair has become amazing. it just moves with your body. Lean to the left or right with your shoulders and the chair back follows. The seat supports my butt and legs perfectly without any hardness or pressure. I am absolutely glad I purchased this chair. Not sure I would have done it at full price at this time, but at a 52% discount, it was worth it. It might even be worth it at full price, if you sit for hours at a time in from of your PC. not having to worry about the foam compressing over time is a big plus, and the 12 year warranty is huge too.

If anyone is considering a new chair, and you sit a lot, I would try out an embody if you can.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Not a whole lot of luxury compared to you goons with your Herman Miller and Steelcase and whatnot chairs, but I finally got a decent desktop chair! (I think)

The price I paid was about $80 for this chair: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Simply+...chair&cp=1&lp=1

There isn't a whole lot of adjustability, but I have a very good posture, and this is at least decent in enforcing that.

Does anyone have experience with this brand or particular chair? Looking for feedback here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hamelekim posted:

I got my Herman Miller Embody chair on Thursday. I got it in all black with the balance material and arm rests. After some back pain, due to poor sitting habits, this chair has become amazing. it just moves with your body. Lean to the left or right with your shoulders and the chair back follows. The seat supports my butt and legs perfectly without any hardness or pressure. I am absolutely glad I purchased this chair. Not sure I would have done it at full price at this time, but at a 52% discount, it was worth it. It might even be worth it at full price, if you sit for hours at a time in from of your PC. not having to worry about the foam compressing over time is a big plus, and the 12 year warranty is huge too.

If anyone is considering a new chair, and you sit a lot, I would try out an embody if you can.
Out of curiosity, exactly how much did you end up paying for your Embody? 52% could be completely different depending if it's off the list price or final retail price.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Out of curiosity, exactly how much did you end up paying for your Embody? 52% could be completely different depending if it's off the list price or final retail price.

1200 dollars with tax and shipping. This is CAD dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

1200 dollars with tax and shipping. This is CAD dollars.

That's not a particularly exciting price and certainly is not 50% off any non-ripoff price.