Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I read the first few chapters and really thought this was just going to be creep-bait like every single other monster-girl comic out there, but it's actually kind of sweet :3:

Well, to be fair, there is SOME creep-bait in parts. But anything involving the lizardpeople is just an excercise in :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Poor Poor Lips is a mostly-comedy 4koma about a (very) poor girl, an openly lesbian store owner, and a boy who runs a bakery. So far(chapter 35 or so), it's better than I thought it'd be, pretty funny at times, and surprises me with its frankness. I don't like that the poor girl's super uguu yet 21, though.

I can't stop laughing at that loving cat's face in the fourth panel on the left. :smug:cat

It's licensed, but has gone out of production(and Amazon has volumes listed for 40-50 dollars each...), and Jmanga is defunct so uh, I'm not sure what the protocol on that sort of thing is.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 16, 2013

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
Ketchup Ninja

After ninja are outlawed in Japan, 15 year old junior ninja Shinoko seeks refuge at a high school in New Jersey. Wacky hijinks re: difficulties with the English language and American culture ensue. Also ninjas. Worth a read and as a bonus you can learn cool English phrases like "You Got Me Mad Now" and "I Have A Dream". Wow!!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

fibblins posted:

Ketchup Ninja

After ninja are outlawed in Japan, 15 year old junior ninja Shinoko seeks refuge at a high school in New Jersey. Wacky hijinks re: difficulties with the English language and American culture ensue. Also ninjas. Worth a read and as a bonus you can learn cool English phrases like "You Got Me Mad Now" and "I Have A Dream". Wow!!

Oh c'mon, if you're gonna post Ketchup Ninja, you gotta use this panel:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am a huge sucker for series that play with the "suddenly, hyper-detailed FOTNS-style artwork!" way of doing things. I guffawed at the I HAVE A DREAM scene. poo poo owns. Thanks, I'm convinced!

edit: I can stop Columbine, FOR I AM A NINJA!

My Bad

Yo literally every third page could be an example for this thread. I almost think this series deserves its own thread, holy poo poo. It's bananas.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 17, 2013

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Holy crap; Ketchup Ninja is actually the nuts. I am 100% behind giving it a thread, but I feel I should finish reading what's out before I go make one.

That Ninja was serious. Was it a terrorist?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I was actually sold on Ketchup Ninja when I saw it was Boon doing the scanlation so I know that part's going to be top notch to go with the concept.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

:dukedog:

Sakamoto desu ga?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Geek U.S.A. posted:

:dukedog:

Sakamoto desu ga?

Ok, that did it. Looking this up now.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

fibblins posted:

Ketchup Ninja

This is fantastic and totally deserves its own thread. The art is awesome and it's hilarious.
Edit: So many good faces in this. I love a funny face. :)

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 17, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The_Frag_Man posted:

This is fantastic and totally deserves its own thread. The art is awesome and it's hilarious.
Edit: So many good faces in this. I love a funny face. :)

Ask and ye shall receive. Ketchup Ninja thread is up!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Poor Poor Lips is a mostly-comedy 4koma about a (very) poor girl, an openly lesbian store owner, and a boy who runs a bakery. So far(chapter 35 or so), it's better than I thought it'd be, pretty funny at times, and surprises me with its frankness. I don't like that the poor girl's super uguu yet 21, though.

I can't stop laughing at that loving cat's face in the fourth panel on the left. :smug:cat

It's licensed, but has gone out of production(and Amazon has volumes listed for 40-50 dollars each...), and Jmanga is defunct so uh, I'm not sure what the protocol on that sort of thing is.

I had read the first few chapters of this a while back, but didn't know that the rest of it had been finished so I blitzed through the rest of it tonight. If you can put up with the super uguu 21 year old girl and aren't put off by yuri stuff (note that it never gets graphic) I'd very much recommend it. There is actually a story that develops and is told pretty well even while mostly maintaining the general joke-per-4-panels structure. The characters, including most of the side ones, actually evolve during the story, and there are no real villains, but people whose points of view are understandable even if you don't agree with them. The closest you'd probably get among the major characters would be the mother, an ex, and a potential arranged marriage partner, but again, they're understandable. While I'm far from being able to claim any expertise on or experience with GLBT issues or presentations in media, I think this has a pretty good handling of them, both in the store owner being openly lesbian and (spoilers about a later character) the arranged marriage partner is a pre-op FtM transsexual (I apologize if I've described the character's nature incorrectly, as I am not well versed in these things).

So anyone who's on the fence, give it a look. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a pleasant read. The translators did a very good job and it's a fun read that will probably draw you in enough to read the whole thing in one sitting, and you'll feel good at the end of it. The author seems like a cool person, too.

Edit: Actually there are probably two villains, but they don't have too much continuing relevance.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 18, 2013

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Immortal Hounds:

:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/qgekNPN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IEZQ2po.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bro Dad posted:

Immortal Hounds

By the same author, Uwagaki:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really wanted him to say "I am now moments in the future!" or something similar as the joke in that last panel.

I was let down.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Great Teacher Onizuka

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Randallteal posted:

Great Teacher Onizuka

I remember just reading this for hours and hours well into the early morning and it probably wouldn't be wrong to call this my favourite completed series. It's just got the best faces and Onizuka is the chillest bro ever.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Lasboss x Hero or whatever.
It's pretty interesting, too. Comic artist gets sucked into one of his pages and poo poo goes down.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fourteen

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

ARACHNOTRON posted:

It's pretty interesting, too. Comic artist gets sucked into one of his pages and poo poo goes down.

This is a nice twist on the usual "get sucked into a game/manga/fantasy world" tripe. Kind of reminds me of Stranger than Fiction, in that the author needs to find the best way to end the story while living with the characters themselves.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Is than *tn note: keikaku means plan - some sort of translator in joke? ...Whatever that looks pretty cool reading a bit now - also thanks this thread for pointing me toward Ketchup Ninja - its pretty loving amazing.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Sinking Ship posted:

Is than *tn note: keikaku means plan - some sort of translator in joke?

Yes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty ubiquitous joke. I've seen it referenced in some Capcom game, too, i think it was Monster Hunter 3.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ARACHNOTRON posted:

This one is pretty good, the art while kind of generic is nice to the eyes and the plot is actually pretty clever. Thanks for the recomendation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Thanks for the honey & honey recommend, it's pretty interesting.

I've been reading this weird thing recently
Mahou Shoujo of the End - *warning violent*
:nws::nws:

Magical girls come to earth and kill everybody? Also the people they kill become zombies?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HenryEx posted:

It's a pretty ubiquitous joke. I've seen it referenced in some Capcom game, too, i think it was Monster Hunter 3.

Yeah, Neko, the cat who constantly substitutes in random japanese words, says it at one point.

e: Wait no, it was his captain, I think. He was also responsible for settling this ongoing debate among manga readers:

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 1, 2013

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Yuusen Shoujo - Plug-in Girl (has quite interesting & unusual setting)

Saito-kun wa Chounouryokusha Rashii

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A bunch of new chapters for Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru came out after like 2 years*.

*Actually it was July, but they only showed up on batoto today it seems.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MrCinos posted:

Yuusen Shoujo - Plug-in Girl (has quite interesting & unusual setting)

This is pretty great!

quote:

Saito-kun wa Chounouryokusha Rashii

This is fanservicey garbage!

edit: oh, it's "ecchi seinen", no wonder!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 10, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Nate RFB posted:

A bunch of new chapters for Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru came out after like 2 years*.

*Actually it was July, but they only showed up on batoto today it seems.

Now that's what I call a good visual gag! I've only seen the anime and it was pretty down-to-earth most of the time, does the manga have a lot more of these kinds of moments?

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
The Gamer

|

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

MrCinos posted:

The Gamer

|

More Naver webtoons is always great. I can't wait for this one to reveal something incredibly depressing so that I can get my cry on.

E: Yup, just read the first chapter that got posted, and I can feel the depressing reveal just waiting to strike.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 10, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Now that's what I call a good visual gag! I've only seen the anime and it was pretty down-to-earth most of the time, does the manga have a lot more of these kinds of moments?
I'd say it's pretty down to earth in general in that regard (visual gags); however as you probably remember, some chapters sure get pretty surreal.

Another:

E: Ha, well, just ran into this one:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 10, 2013

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

This is fanservicey garbage!

edit: oh, it's "ecchi seinen", no wonder!

It is pretty garbage but that gag got a laugh out of me at least.

Speaking of terrible manga with a single joke that made me laugh hard enough to save an image, have this :

Saenai Kanojo Heroine

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Ajin

Makai no Ossan

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 11, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Choku!, by the Watamote author and artist pair, is nothing like Watamote.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

Choku!, by the Watamote author and artist pair, is nothing like Watamote.

Choku was so much better than Watamote. It's a shame that the latter was the one that "got popular" enough for people to care.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like it ran its course and was a good series for its run, but could have very easily overstayed its welcome. So that it ended where it did was fine with me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jitsu wa watashi wa...(The truth is, I am...) is a new one that looks like it will be pretty good, especially if you like exaggerated faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was actually just going to post that one after reading the two chapters that are out. It's got some good promise for being a lighthearted wacky supernatural romcom.

• Locked thread