Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My second ME-5 came in the mail today, to replace the one I left behind somewhere when I moved.

Unfortunately it's very obviously missing a faceplate but on the upside it was $10. Now I just wanna buy more quirky old Boss junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just arrived today: Four interfaces and a passive DI.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That's quite a score. Can you report back the R8 when you've had some time with it? I'm really curious about those.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

New as of this week: APC40 USB Controller, M-Audio 88es Keyboard, 2-tier Z-Stand, and an Ableton Push.

Routed through MBPr, SM58 mic with audio out through a MOTU 828mk2 to RPM8 Monitors, Pioneer HDJ 2000s, and pair of JBL 515XTs + 518s subwoofer.

Put it all together yesterday, having a lot of fun :mmmhmm:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Radiapathy posted:

Just arrived today: Four interfaces and a passive DI.

You'll need the DI if you plan on plugging a guitar into the 2i2. The instrument setting on it is totally hosed.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You'll need the DI if you plan on plugging a guitar into the 2i2. The instrument setting on it is totally hosed.
So far it's the least impressive of the devices I picked up (high noise floor, rather high latency compared to others in its class). I got all this stuff to do some very geeky benchmarking and analysis. Probably going to be a week or so before I start doing real tests. Going to be comparing these devices with a MOTU 24I/O, Roland Duo-Capture EX, and the audio interface on a Virus TI2.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This is my favorite thread to post in because posting in here means I just got something nice.

help there's so many strings :gonk:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Got a great deal on a used Korean Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Black for vintage, white for high gain.

EDIT: This is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. What the hell have I been doing until now? :ohdear:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 17, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

RillAkBea posted:

EDIT: This is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. What the hell have I been doing until now? :ohdear:

Welcome to Les Pauls.

Sure, they may not be ergonomic. They sacrifice a lot for looking as incredibly sexy as they do. However, they're so drat comfortable to play they don't need to sacrifice sex for comfort.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I'm confused. Isn't the definition of ergonomic: comfortable to play?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Couple steals today at a pawn shop.

Roland MC-303 for $5 because it is "broken". Have to find a power supply, but the only visible thing wrong is missing buttons. For $5, I'll give it a shot.

Stagg Les Paul in an SKB TSA-approved hard case. $75 for both. No, not $75 each, $75 for the guitar in the case. Both basically new, although I had to fix a loose volume knob. Looked up the case and it alone seems to sell for around $150 new. :stare: I think the pawn shop may be a bit too eager to clean out inventory.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hammer Floyd posted:

Welcome to Les Pauls.

Sure, they may not be ergonomic. They sacrifice a lot for looking as incredibly sexy as they do. However, they're so drat comfortable to play they don't need to sacrifice sex for comfort.

I believe the ergonomic guitar is the Jazzmaster/Jaguar. It may be a little heavy depending on the wood, but the curves fit in all of the right places.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Not new, and not mine, my dad posted this on Facebook. Said he got to have a play on it today when rehearsing with some guys.

1962 Fender Jazz, bound in leather.

Thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

wow

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Frankston posted:

Not new, and not mine, my dad posted this on Facebook. Said he got to have a play on it today when rehearsing with some guys.

1962 Fender Jazz, bound in leather.

Thought some of you guys would get a kick out of it.

David Allan Coe's bass player called, he wants his bass back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Not near as impressive as that bass, but picked up baby's first pedal tonight.

Made all the garage band sounds I could dream for. :allears:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It works OK for me ... with the gain turned right down. I've certainly read that for guitars with active pups it's basically impossible to plug in directly without attenuation, so yes.

I bought it mainly because, in the range of $150 beginner interfaces, it had pretty good Linux compatibility, and I play guitar through it, so I'm pretty sure the noise floor on the guitar signal is much higher than on the 2i2. Anyway, I'll be keen to hear how it measures up in those tests.

yeastiality
Dec 20, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It works OK for me ... with the gain turned right down. I've certainly read that for guitars with active pups it's basically impossible to plug in directly without attenuation, so yes.

I bought it mainly because, in the range of $150 beginner interfaces, it had pretty good Linux compatibility, and I play guitar through it, so I'm pretty sure the noise floor on the guitar signal is much higher than on the 2i2. Anyway, I'll be keen to hear how it measures up in those tests.

Did you have to do anything strange to get the 2i2 working under Linux?
I'm messing around with a little project using puredata and a Raspberry Pi - the next stage will probably be to see what I can do with my 2i2 hooked to an SM57 recording an acoustic guitar...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

yeastiality posted:

Did you have to do anything strange to get the 2i2 working under Linux?
I'm messing around with a little project using puredata and a Raspberry Pi - the next stage will probably be to see what I can do with my 2i2 hooked to an SM57 recording an acoustic guitar...

No, nothing at all, really. It's a USB 2.0 class-compliant device, so it just runs out the box. If you hang around linuxmusicians at all, it regularly comes up as a recommendation. See eg this thread. This page is also helpful if you're shopping for a Linux-compatible soundcard, although a good rule of thumb is that if it's advertised to work on the iPad, that's because it's USB class-compliant and it will work on Linux.

Probably the only fiddly thing I had to do was to put a line in alsa.conf to make sure that my onboard sound always mapped to hw:0 (by default if you leave it plugged in on bootup, ALSA can randomly mix the cards up, getting Jack confused), although that apparently comes standard with the KXStudio packages I'm using.

For getting it to work with a Pi, though, I think there are a few fiddly things to do, but the experience of these guys working on building Pi-based guitar effects units may be of great help:

http://ampbrownie.com/
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/guitarix/index.php?title=Guitarix_Embedded_/_ARM_SoC

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dear God the colors go on FOREVER.

Oh, and snagged this with some trade-ins too:

loving PERFECT.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 19, 2013

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The EP booster rules

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

spaceship posted:

The EP booster rules
It really does!
I was using a Modtone that I picked up in a swap a while back, and while it sounded nice and all at bedroom levels, at volume it had a nasty 'click' on engage/disengage that snapped the hell out of my speakers and the PA. I read up and it seems to be a known issue with those so I swapped it and a couple of other things for the EP and it's MUCH nicer all the way around than the Modtone. I pretty much just leave it on at all times except for a few parts in selected songs.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My Ibanez has pretty hot passive Dimarzios, and my basses are all active. All of them destroy the input in Instrument with it all the way down, and sound like poo poo in Line. I'm sending it back. (But getting a 6i6 to replace it.)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Crosspostin' from the drums thread despite having paid zero dollars for them!

So I got my old drums back:

(click for fuckin' huge)

Well 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Played these when I was 8, it's 20 years later and I never figured out what they were until just now. Ludwig WFL and my badge-seer buddy tells me they're from late 40s, early 50s. Never done any kind of drum restoration but I'm willing to learn on these guys! :3:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
My newest thingy - the Plumbutter 2:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oldstench posted:

My newest thingy - the Plumbutter 2:

Right, I have no idea how that works or what it is. Info please!

*edit: A drum machine with bones and horns and things... I do not understand. :downs:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 22, 2013

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

88h88 posted:

*edit: A drum machine with bones and horns and things... I do not understand. :downs:

It's sort of like a box with herded cats contained within.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Startyde posted:

It's sort of like a box with herded cats contained within.

I just listened to a clip of the original (I assume), and it sounds exactly like your description. So so good!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

88h88 posted:

It's described by Peter B. as a "drum and drama" machine.

Here's a top-down, cable-less image of it.

The mixer is self explanatory except for the blue jacks which are panning inputs.

The Man with the Red Steam is an 8 stage sequencer/shift register. A pulse at the green input (clock) moves a stored bit up the sequencer. The red outputs are negative pulse outs, the orange are square outs. The purple input allows data to recirculate. Plug the last orange out into this and you will cycle the sequence. Other inputs allow /7, /6, or /5 sequences. You can also put other orange outputs from other modules in this input to generate new sequence patterns. The red and white buttons are for manually adding or removing new steps manually on the clock beat.

The Snare is part of TMWTRS. The white jack is audio out, pre-mixer. The gray out is comparated noise. The knob increases or decreases the length of the snare decay as well as changes the quality of the noise out. Green input causes the snare to fire. Blue jacks increase and decrease the snare decay via CV.

The Rollz are the main rhythm generators of the system. There are two mirrored sections. The top-most (an bottom-most) are called 3-roll. The middle-most are 4-roll. The 3-roll makes an unstable off-beat rhythm, the 4-roll is a stable oscillator. Orange outs are square pulses. Brown outs are inputs/outputs that make negative pulse outs to drive various other parts. The brown in/outs can be interconnected to merge the rhythms. The knobs dictate the speed of the underlying oscs and the blue jacks increase or decrease the speed via other CVs.

The AVDog is basically a VCO followed by a pair of VCAs. The green jack is a pulse in to ring a state-variable VCF to modulate the VCA. The filter runs at sub-audio frequency and effectively generates a shape function for the VCA. This envelope shape is output at the orange jack. The raw audio (pre-mixer) of the VCO via the VCA is available at the white output, the inverse available at the red output. The unlabeled knob near the blue jacks changes the env response rate to the pulse in. The one labeled Q increases the resonance on the VCF to further change the env response. The blue jacks are for CVing the EG response. The purple jack and the associated knob are for FM. The switch changes the oscillator from "trad" to "gonz" mode (timbre). The lone knob above (below) the red out tunes the VCO.

The Gongue is basically a VCF that rings in the audio range. The Q knob effects the length of decay to sub-audio. You can get sharp plucks, bongo sounds, or huge booming basses from it. The green jack is a pulse input. This is different from the AVDog input though in that the pulse input doesn't immediately cause a sound. The knob below (above) the orange jack increases or decreases the speed of a sawtooth wave. This wave is the delay time between the Gongue receiving a pulse input and outputting a sound. This waveshape is available at the orange and gray (inverted) jacks. White is audio (pre-mixer) out, purple and knob are FM, switch is "trad/gonz" timbre, and the blue jacks are CV ins to change the trigger oscillator response.

Ultrasound is pretty simple comparatively. Green is an audio input. It runs the audio in through something that sounds like a sample-rate reducer. The knob below (above) the green jack changes the amount of reduction. The purple input and knob are FM inputs to tune the internal oscillator. The yellow jack is an output of the high frequency oscillator.

The Deerhorn is kind-of-not-really-like a theremin. There are two oscillators internally that react to your hand moving closer or further away from the antenna on the right. White jacks are direct (pre-mixer) audio outs, red jacks are pulse outs created by hand motion, the orange out is a CV out based on the movement of your hand modified by an internal PLL. The orange jacks and knobs are FM/tuning inputs to the internal oscillators. Bottom-most knob is master tune control.

Simple, right?

Here's some sounds I've made with it:
http://snd.sc/16kGHV1
http://snd.sc/13LwD9H
http://snd.sc/15cO8hq

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2013

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh I get it now!

:geno:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's like a fiddler's dream come true. So. Many. Options. It's utterly insane, I love it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Laney AOR, only $280 :v:
Ridiculously JCM800ish for so little money. I wish I'd know about these a long time ago. I also REALLY need an attenuator now.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
If the shop will respond to my eMail I may order this tomorrow

mekrob
Sep 4, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

Laney AOR, only $280 :v:
Ridiculously JCM800ish for so little money. I wish I'd know about these a long time ago. I also REALLY need an attenuator now.

I have this amp and it's awesome, but I found it a little hard to control the volume and tone at first, especially with the boosts turned on. I like it much better now that I put an EQ in the effects loop.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Filled an empty rack space with a Fireworx. I have HTML5 to blame for this. Going rate on eBay is 1/3 retail price. Who the poo poo is buying these things new?

It's damned nice, by the way. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Something to spice up my old rack synths before routing them into my interface, with a vocoder to boot.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Just got home with a free Kingston/Tiesco. The action sucks and the frets are virtually nonexistent but I was going to turn into a slide guitar. The wood is in immaculate shape and I think the aluminum pickguard is going to polish up nicely.

ROIDTECH
Jan 22, 2001

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I got a Suhr guitar

Sup

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
More Pics, PLEASE!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bought my first guitar from a guy on Craigslist trying to get rid of things before he moved. I scored a beat to hell 2012 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified in Olympic White and a Pod XT for $170.

(Sorry for lovely phone pics.)

The Jag is intentionally beaten up - the old owner hosed up the exterior with the intention of making it look Punk As gently caress. Otherwise the hardware is fine aside from a missing tremolo bar. (He locked the trem, which explains why it's gone)

The Pod is missing a power cord and its output pot is broken and stuck at 5, but as a 'throw it in for free' deal I'll take it. He also tossed in a tab book, cord, strings, picks, cloth, and a strap.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That poor jag :( looks like he had headstock envy too since the squire part of the logo is the only part of it messed up.
I found the same model pod at a goodwill that was also missing the cord my local guitar center happened to have one in stock. Worth checking with them before looking online for it