Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has this been covered? I haven't been in the thread in a few months.

What content mill/writing site allows you to write under a pseudonym? I know back on Demand, I could write under a different name. I'm the only person with my name online and I already use my real name for art. I don't want "the day job" to interfere with what I'm trying to build with my real name online.

Also what's the protocol for using pseudonym-ed pieces as part of a portfolio? It seems that it would be difficult for it to prove that it is you. I'd like to pick up some local area writing gigs but most of writing work has been under a different name. I genuinely like writing and there's some good offers in my area, but I'm unsure how to approach this and seem legitimate. Any input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
Nighthand--as far as I know the blurbs don't actually matter. There's no real industry categorization on the administrative side, it's purely when you go to sign up for casting calls later on.

No. 9--almost all content mill websites hide your name because they don't want people contacting you. Constant Content lets you use a pen name, Textbroker just gives you a number (what a marvelous indication of how vile they are) and Writer Access just uses a first name and initial. Unless your first name is extraordinarily distinctive, Writer Access should suit you. Also, writing under a pen name is extremely common and I don't think most people will bat an eye at it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Textbroker assigns clients a number so writers never see their names, but it doesn't work the other way around. I've definitely had clients refer to be as Nighthand in messages. Heck, that IS a distinctive enough pen name to track me down outside of the site, though I don't have a personal writing site set up to take advantage of that.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
That threw me off, so I looked it up. You are set as an ID # when you sign up for Textbroker, but you can manually choose to override it with a screen name. I never did, in fact for some reason I never knew the option was there.

Edit: Just a little rant. What is it with eLance and oDesk and Skype? Why does EVERYONE want to video chat for a $10 article? I really don't want to call people to get a $5 bid in. They are obsessed with this, and I just have issues with phones that I don't even want to get into here.

Kilo India fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 10, 2013

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
Looks like I'll be joining you guys in making money online, with Tutor.com in my case. I'm kind of nervous about it, so I'd like to ask those of you who've worked for Tutor.com a few questions.

1. Do I get to see what sort of questions the student has ahead of time, or just the subject? I've got some definite blind spots that haven't yet stopped me from passing exams, and I don't want to connect to someone just to discover that I'm useless to them.
2. How often are you put up for review to get promoted/bumped a tutor level/whatever?
3. Do I want to finally get around to teaching myself LaTex for tutoring the higher level maths? That's something I haven't bothered with up to this point, but I can see time being of the essence for this. Also, can LaTex even work through the Tutor.com interface?
4. Voice chat is a thing that can be done, right? How often do students ask for it? I understand that a single bad review can ruin your month, and I don't particularly want to deal with a student giving me poo poo just for being a woman that's tutoring them in math.
5. I understand that none of these jobs have the greatest employment stability, but how does Tutor.com rank among online contract jobs?

I really want this to work, as it would give me better pay than my current retail job while also looking more relevant on my resume.

EDIT:
and 6. Do I get to see the identity/username of the student before I connect to them, and can students request specific tutors?

EDIT2:
7. If I manage to squeak by a pass in something that I'm not all that comfortable with, will that end up screwing me over in the end?

PurpleLizardWizard fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2013

Cervid
Jul 18, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I searched this thread and the site and don't see anything about it except as a listing under "Penny Work" in the beginning, so does anybody have any experience with Clickworker?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have it listed as penny work because, for the two or so days I poked around on it, I never saw any tasks you could do for more than 5 cents or so. However, that was over a year ago so it could have changed in that time. It seemed mostly "click our ads" or "fill out these surveys and sign up for our affiliate programs for 3 cents" kind of things.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

Looks like I'll be joining you guys in making money online, with Tutor.com in my case. I'm kind of nervous about it, so I'd like to ask those of you who've worked for Tutor.com a few questions.

1. Do I get to see what sort of questions the student has ahead of time, or just the subject? I've got some definite blind spots that haven't yet stopped me from passing exams, and I don't want to connect to someone just to discover that I'm useless to them.
2. How often are you put up for review to get promoted/bumped a tutor level/whatever?
3. Do I want to finally get around to teaching myself LaTex for tutoring the higher level maths? That's something I haven't bothered with up to this point, but I can see time being of the essence for this. Also, can LaTex even work through the Tutor.com interface?
4. Voice chat is a thing that can be done, right? How often do students ask for it? I understand that a single bad review can ruin your month, and I don't particularly want to deal with a student giving me poo poo just for being a woman that's tutoring them in math.
5. I understand that none of these jobs have the greatest employment stability, but how does Tutor.com rank among online contract jobs?

I really want this to work, as it would give me better pay than my current retail job while also looking more relevant on my resume.

EDIT:
and 6. Do I get to see the identity/username of the student before I connect to them, and can students request specific tutors?

EDIT2:
7. If I manage to squeak by a pass in something that I'm not all that comfortable with, will that end up screwing me over in the end?

I'll answer what I do know based on my own experience so far.

1 and 7. Yes, although you want your acceptance rate to be as high as possible, so if you just squeaked by on one of their tests (or had to Google for help on most of the questions), I'd recommend you not take on that subject / request to have it removed. They're not kidding about expecting you to KNOW the material.

2. They're in down time right now, so my probation period officially starts in September. According to my mentors, however, I can be bumped to Tutor 1 before my probation ends (which would be in November, 60 day probation) if I hit the numbers. I'll report as soon as this comes true!

3. I honestly don't even know what LaTex is, so I'll leave this to someone else!

4. I have voice chat disabled and haven't used it, but they've said they're looking at expanding this. I work more in essays, so I'm not sure how popular this would be in the maths.

5. No clue, as a new employee there - another one to leave to the more experienced!

6. You can't see their username but you can see their request; from what I understand, students can "favorite" particular tutors to contact when available.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

I worked with Tutor.com for 3 years when I was in college (back in 2003-2006ish) and now I'm back with them again, and have been tutoring since February. I'll answer what I can!

Sometimes. It's up to the student to type in their question ahead of time, and if they do, you'll see that when the window pops up to tell you that you have a request. Sometimes they just want to get into the classroom as quickly as possible so the question box will say stuff like "blahblahblah" because they just typed something to make it go away.

You'll have regular reviews from your mentors, but they get fewer as you move up in rank. They are generally pretty good about pushing through the promotions once you meet the time and rating requirements. I forget exactly what those requirements are, but they are in the Tutor manual PDF. I just got promoted to Tutor II, and I was a Tutor III back in the day. I've never had a problem with promotions being delayed, but they're pretty anal about following their protocols for handling certain situations and with how you start sessions and clarify questions, so just follow their rules and you'll be fine.

Tutors aren't required to use the voice chat and you can set your classroom to only send you requests for non-voice students. I never have it on just because I don't want to bother with it. I'm also a female math teacher so I understand your reasoning here. Bad reviews will happen because sometimes students aren't really there for help and are just screwing around in the library after school or something. You'll see a dip in your overall rating temporarily but if you're consistently doing a good job it won't hurt you too badly.

You're capped at 30 hours a week, and when Tutoring was my only contract job I found it semi-easy to get 6 hours per day M-F (that was just my own personal goal) in session, especially during the late afternoon and evening hours. Also, it's pretty much COMPLETELY dead during the summer. The key is to use the floating option as much as possible. It's sometimes a scramble to get actual scheduled hours, but during the school year and during peak usage hours, it really doesn't matter because there are tons of students trying to connect.

EDIT:
If a student is logged into their account, you'll see information about their name, grade, and subject level. You'll also be able to see the session comments from previous tutors they've worked with. It's a good way to get a feel for whether the student is going to be a brat or not. Students can favorite tutors, so they'll be able to see when you're online in the future and can request to work with you.

EDIT2:
It depends on how often you find yourself declining and transferring sessions for questions that you cannot teach. I had a higher tier subject on my list that I requested be removed because it was dragging down my acceptance rating. Even though I passed the test, I realized I just didn't remember enough about the concepts to be able to teach it well. They were very cool about removing it. It is always better for YOU to request to have a subject removed than to get to the point where your mentor says they'll remove it because you're not doing a good enough job. So, if you feel like you're consistently struggling with a subject, remove it.

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2013

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies, Wiggy Marie and Crunch Bucket.

My shaky subject is geometry. I just simply haven't had to deal with it since early high school, so while I have a knowledge base, I've forgotten a lot of the little tricks. I think I'll see if I can refresh my memory some more before I consider removing that subject, as I guess I shouldn't be surprised at finding the exam challenging after deciding to sit for it with no preparation. If I remove a subject, can I test for it again in the future, or is it barred to me?

Wiggy Marie posted:

3. I honestly don't even know what LaTex is, so I'll leave this to someone else!

LaTex is a piece of software/a computer language made for really fancy typesetting. It gets used with regularity in the higher maths and sciences because it becomes a huge pain to write out an equation in Word at that point. It's also what's used to generate most of the formulas you see on Wikipedia pages. There are add-ins for Word that can make it more convenient to use, but there isn't native support for it beyond generating a formula as a graphic in a separate program and copy-pasting it over.

Cervid
Jul 18, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nighthand posted:

I have it listed as penny work because, for the two or so days I poked around on it, I never saw any tasks you could do for more than 5 cents or so. However, that was over a year ago so it could have changed in that time. It seemed mostly "click our ads" or "fill out these surveys and sign up for our affiliate programs for 3 cents" kind of things.

Oh,yeah that kind of thing. Welp,I might give them a shot. Thank you for the clarification! :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Has anyone ever worked with a transcription company called Points West? I'm testing for them now and the owner seems a little big...high strung. So far as putting detailed instructions on how to organize my files on my computer for her company. I'm used to people asking that you use a separate particular folder, and please delete our files after such and such time and whatnot, but this seems a little bit more micro-managey (yes I know that's not a word!) I was just wondering if it wasn't because I was going to bump up steps and the higher paying companies are more...particular.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

That's a new one on me. The only time I've had clients get picky about directories and such was when they were using dropbox or some system like that to transfer files. All my clients care about is the end product. :)

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
I have a lot of free time these days in the evenings, so I think I'll try the transcription route. I'm going to test myself a bite with some Harry Rollins, I think, as mentioned in the OP. As far as typing itself goes, I'm usually ~100wpm with a 4-5% error rate, but that's standard text with some numbers. If you start throwing in nothing but 10-key, my rate goes way down.

I like to type and I like money. It would be cool if this actually works out.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I don't believe this particular question has been asked yet, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm doing a transcription and the final form is a Word doc using a 3-column table. I'm using InqScribe to do the transcription. I've used text delimiters for easily preserving format into Excel, but I haven't been able to figure it out when using tables in Word. I'm sure there's some stupid easy trick to this that will make my life a lot easier. Can anyone help me out?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Sometimes, you can get away with 00:00:00[tab]SPEAKER[tab]WORDS or whatever and it'll work perfectly when you paste it into the template. Sometimes you have to copy it out of Inqscribe and into a .txt file first, and then copy it out of there into the template. You can also use delimiters to format it in Excel and then copy/paste the cells into the Word template, but it can occasionally get squirrely if the line counts don't match up.

Unfortunately, three column work is always at least a minor pain the rear end, I've found. They should be paying you more for it, though, so hopefully that'll make up for it.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Thank you! The trick with pasting it into a .txt file and then re-copying into the template worked. I can already see areas where I'm going to have some little hiccups with this one, because sometimes each column has forced line breaks. Thankfully, it shouldn't be more than a bit of cleanup at the end. Being able to use text delimiters is going to save me so much freaking time.

And yes, this one does pay quite a bit more, so a bit of extra time spent formatting the final document doesn't feel as painful. :)

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

For a while, three column is basically all I did in transcription, so I learned just about every way a template could gently caress you up and how to fix it. :)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Given how dry Textbroker has been recently I'm hurrying to write up profile blurbs to get that poo poo submitted. Too bad they say 7-10 business days for the star rating. On the plus side, I got 32 on the writing test, with only a couple of actual mistakes (most incorrects were from things I legitimately had never heard of before, like wtf SEO silo method.)

Should I fill out as many industry blurbs as possible now, or fill out my best half-dozen or so and the rest later?

Have you heard back from Writer Access yet? Textbroker is cool and all (I even got a 5 star rating on an article in which I was able to interject how you shouldn't wear fedoras) but the pay is kind of a suck - but it's better then workin' day labor and I don't have to put pants on.

Do client ratings play in Text Broker's rating system? I haven't had any rated by TB yet, but I'm stacking up the 5 star client reviews.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 16, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My profile is still pending review. I figure some time next week I'll have the initial rating. I'll probably shoot them a message if I haven't been reviewed by Wednesday, that should be 10 business day point for me.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I got my first Leapforce review after 4 months. It is "substandard". This worries me.

A few questions.

1. How many substandard reviews = fired?

2. How many tasks are in your feedback? I got only three.

3. Does getting such a review limit the amount of work you can get?

Thanks.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The Google rater reviews always seem to be moving targets. They will retroactively apply changes in standards to your reviews, which punishes everyone who thought they were doing things correctly and according to the guidelines. You might spend some time going over the current version of the guidelines, that can help. I wouldn't worry about one substandard review as long as you get a higher rating the next month. Getting a two-star here and there isn't as bad as getting two in a row. They do kick people for getting consistent low reviews, and sometimes will kick people for no obvious reason. I don't know about limiting work, usually they'll just let you go. LionBridge had a higher paying rater position for those who consistently scored five-star reviews, not sure about Leapforce. I think you had to get like six months of five-star reviews to be eligible.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

We are allowed to trade off DT work, correct? I have a 41 minute as broadcast project that I'm gonna need to offload if possible. $1.50/min but it's due tomorrow at noon PST/3pm EST.

I'm having to go out of town suddenly and this is just taking me too long and I'm not gonna be able to finish it. Any takers?

edit: I should add that I've done the first 8 minutes and I can send you what I have already, not that that's a ton of time, but there it is. Free money I guess? :)

editx2: All is well. I pulled a super late nighter and got it all finished! Thanks to those who responded to my PMs. :)

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 17, 2013

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
Hey guys, Write.com is hiring again. They just sent me a little notice. The test is actually harder than Writer Access in my opinion, though.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Their site says it's closed still. Is it worth it? This site says it isn't.

Kilo India
Mar 12, 2006

E/N Success Story
Someone else in this thread or another thread said it was, but yeah, I doubt it.

Instead, I got a tip from writers on Writer Access that Zerys.com was a good place. The account setup is just completely asinine--you'll see what I mean--but the work being shuffled through is interesting because there are assignments that actually pay a decent amount, though you have to move fast to catch them. People get on favorite lists very fast and then they get a lot of work assigned directly to them. I haven't done a lot so far but what I have done was pretty good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Kilo India posted:

The account setup is just completely asinine--you'll see what I mean--

You aren't kidding. They could definitely come up with a better way to choose your industry specialties than nested drop down boxes.

Edit: I dunno guys should I set a specialty to Entertainment -> Anime -> Hentai? Sounds like a great idea. :psyduck:

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 18, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got into Zerys but apparently shot myself in the foot with a 3-star sample. The job board is completely barren. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can get a couple things to move up to 4 or 5, but I'm not holding on to a lot of hope right now. It looks like the kind of site where, once you're established, you get work rolling in. The problem being there's not much posted openly so it's hard to get the initial contacts going. At least the prices on the recently-written assignments list are mostly reasonable.

Still have to hear back from Writer Access.

EDIT to avoid triple posting. Today there were a handful of assignments on the Zerys job board, so I claimed and wrote a simple 200 word blurb. Within an hour it was accepted and my rating has been bumped to 4 stars. So it really is super easy to get bumped up.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 20, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I wanted to share this with the other transcribers on here so they could stare at it as incredulously as I do: http://racine.craigslist.org/ofc/3977482994.html

Look at the pay. Seriously.

EDIT: For anyone who doesn't care to click the link - $15/per audio hour.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 22, 2013

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Look at that list of demands, and they want to pay people less than $4.00 an hour. I think I've seen them post elsewhere, that cheese quote looks familiar. "We are looking for winners, not whiners". You can't be that cheap and be that huge of a pain in the rear end at the same time. At least they won't get any takers.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

AuntBuck posted:

Look at that list of demands, and they want to pay people less than $4.00 an hour. I think I've seen them post elsewhere, that cheese quote looks familiar. "We are looking for winners, not whiners". What a pain in the rear end that person must be to work with.

I'll admit, I sent a "whiner" email reply quoting industry standards.

Just seeing that set my teeth on edge. I got paid more in the 'cash cow (but not for the workers)' market grind of telerelay services, which is saying something.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I was tempted to do that as well. No way any experienced transcribers in the US will take that poo poo job (I hope). I know why that looks familiar, someone else linked me to this one where they mention their company:

http://www.ifreelance.com/project/detail.aspx?projectid=81689

Judith Chandler, I hope I never have to deal with you in real life.

Edit: Looks like Judy takes on freelance work, then parses it out to other people to actually do for a pittance.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 22, 2013

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

That's one of the downsides of freelancing -- there's always people out there offering slave wages, and there are always people hard up enough (or who just don't know any better) that will take those jobs. Hopefully, most of them realize pretty quick they're being exploited and look for something with a reasonable pay scale.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

That's one of the downsides of freelancing -- there's always people out there offering slave wages, and there are always people hard up enough (or who just don't know any better) that will take those jobs. Hopefully, most of them realize pretty quick they're being exploited and look for something with a reasonable pay scale.

I feel like there should be something in the OP about 'expect to find companies that are not willing to pay you minimum wage for the hours spent,' because independent contractors aren't covered under that law. As much as it seems like a 'well, obviously,' it's worth giving a fair warning. I skimmed through, so maybe it's there, but it's not really in bold lettering for anyone who's desperate to find work and may get poo poo on as a result.

Much less for work that they may actually end up competing for.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've convinced myself that what I'm doing now (on TB) is very badly paid training. It's conditioning me how to write certain things certain ways, and I'm getting to apply the things I've learned in ways I haven't done before. So far, so good.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

An Old Boot posted:

I feel like there should be something in the OP about 'expect to find companies that are not willing to pay you minimum wage for the hours spent,' because independent contractors aren't covered under that law. As much as it seems like a 'well, obviously,' it's worth giving a fair warning. I skimmed through, so maybe it's there, but it's not really in bold lettering for anyone who's desperate to find work and may get poo poo on as a result.

Much less for work that they may actually end up competing for.

Added a note to the top of the OP.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
My favorite is

"15) Must be able to commit to at least 20 hours per week"

Someone help me out here? Like...I commit to between 90 and 120 minutes per day most day...I don't think I could do 20 hours a week, I think my hands would break. Is anyone doing this much audio?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

If you can't out-pace voice recognition software in pure speed for $2 an hour real time, you're not good enough for them.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Does requesting work on DT go by the first people to request it for that day or by seniority? I guess there are also certain types that they don't let everyone do too. Have only got one file each of the past 2 weeks with nothing yet this week. Usually put in for 60 mins a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
It's been slow the last few weeks, the only thing I have seen a lot of has bee rush work, but unfortunately, it's been on days I couldn't accept it. Should be picking up again soon with school when all the little researchers get back to work. :-)