Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

In a misguided attempt to be one of the cool kids, I experimented with ways to compress watermelon using a Foodsaver. I used a vacuum container. I tried it with a bag, I tried it without a bag. I tried it a dozen times in a row both ways. No appreciable positive changes.

Stop the presses!

It looks like the effect can be achieved with a Foodsaver after all. You need to cycle the pressure maybe 3-4 times using a vacuum container to loosen up the plant fibers, and then put it in a vacuum container for a couple hours, and then you've got compressed fruit.

In the background you can see several chunks of watermelon. Some are the normal pink color, others are darker red. The pink ones only got vacuumed once, the darker ones were the ones that went through a few cycles of vacuuming

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey am I imagining things or are delitainers not as good as they used to be? All the ones I see now are flimsy, and I remember them being much thicker and sturdier before

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey am I imagining things or are delitainers not as good as they used to be? All the ones I see now are flimsy, and I remember them being much thicker and sturdier before
There are two different types that can be bought. One is the thicker, heavy duty, microwaveable delitainers. Others are the flimsy ones used for cold products, which are cheaper.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Isn't it sorted by shape? Here the round ones (about 1-3 cup size), are used for marinated feta, olives, semi dried tomatoes, diced fruit, cheese, yoghurt, small salads etc which are thinner weaker plastic which gets thrown out after use and never warmed up or heated.

The larger rectangular shaped ones are used by restaurants that do take away or home delivery orders, and they are thicker and can be reheated or used for a few uses. That being said, I've never heard the term deli-tainer before.
They're just 'disposable tubs' if they are the weak round ones, and 'take-away tubs' if the microwaveable and reusable rectangular ones.
Different country and culture here I know, but they come from the same factories for all of us anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 15, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Steve Yun posted:

I just got some freezable reditainers (http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Freez...ords=reditainer) and they are very much up to snuff. But take-out containers in general are being made more thinly, which I honestly totally approve of because most people throw them out and it's less waste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hey so I experimented some more with compressed fruit, and figured out a much easier method for people with pathetic consumer-grade vacuum sealers: freeze the fruit, thaw, then vacuum. The freezing process breaks up the plant fibers enough that a home vacuum sealer will be able to compress them easily.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 17, 2013

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Before your posts on compressed fruit I had never heard of it. Does it just concentrate the flavor?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Concentrated flavor, denser texture, darker color, neato translucent effect.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 16, 2013

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Steve Yun posted:

Concentrated flavor, denser texture, darker color, neato translucent effect.

Do you need a foodsaver container or can you use bags?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does putting it in a vacuum container compress it? Wouldn't that do the opposite?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a recommendation for a vacuum sealer?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How does putting it in a vacuum container compress it? Wouldn't that do the opposite?

It's actually the atmospheric pressure around the evacuated bag that compresses it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's actually the atmospheric pressure around the evacuated bag that compresses it.

Right, I get that it works in a bag, but wouldn't putting it into a vacuum container not work the same way? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's doing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know what, I did half of them in bags and all of them in the container too, and they all seemed to get the effect, although some pieces more than others (maybe the bagged ones got more of the effect) I guess I'll test this out some more to make sure.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Right, I get that it works in a bag, but wouldn't putting it into a vacuum container not work the same way? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's doing.

All of the air that is 'trapped' in between the fibers is pulled out in either case. The compression probably occurs as the air is reintroduced in the container, rather than as the air is evacuated.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That makes more sense to me. Thanks!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

That makes more sense to me. Thanks!

This is also how vacuum pickling works.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a recommendation for a vacuum sealer?

On the consumer end, pretty much any old cheap Foodsaver or Rival should be able to do the trick. I bought the top of the line Foodsaver and now I feel like I overspent.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is also how vacuum pickling works.

So for, say, lightly pickled watermelon (w white sherry), just soak a bit, freeze, thaw, then vacuum?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You just put your pickling liquid in the bag with whatever you want to pickle. It works fine in a chamber or container. Dunno how well it would work in something like a foodsaver. Basically you're sucking out all of the air in the cells, and when you reintroduce air, the pressure pushes the pickling liquid into the cells.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is incorrect, atmospheric pressure around the bag is the same as when the fruit is sitting there on the counter (~14 and a half psi). On top of that fruit mostly contains water, which isn't really compressible. As already said, its probably the vacuum pump sucking out gasses present in the fruit.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

This is incorrect, atmospheric pressure around the bag is the same as when the fruit is sitting there on the counter (~14 and a half psi). On top of that fruit mostly contains water, which isn't really compressible. As already said, its probably the vacuum pump sucking out gasses present in the fruit.

Yes the atm is the same for both, but the outward pressure of the bag at atm is balancing it. When you evacuate the bag, the same pressure on the bag instead crushes it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Look what I found at a thrift store for :10bux:, still in the box, with the blade covers on.

$200 mandoline for :10bux: I couldn't buy it fast enough!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Does anyone have a suggestion for a citrus squeezer that will really well and truly squeeze the gently caress out of a lime wedge? I got the Amco model CI suggests, but the two parts are spaced for a lemon rind, so it doesn't squeeze tight enough unless I maneuver the wedge and fold it over itself after the first attempt. That kind of defeats the purpose of owning it for me (not getting lime juice all over my hands), so I am looking for something that works better. Amco makes one that does limes as well, but all the reviews say the lime part breaks. Durability and the spacing being too large for limes seems to be a pretty common theme in reviews for these things...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Is there a reason you need to squeeze wedges instead of halves? Cause Ra Chand, or a similar level-operated juicer is what you really want for citrus. On those it's hard for the fruit to be too small, and most of the Ra Chand models can be used from limes all the way up to good-sized grapefruit. It's an investment, but it will make you a citrus god. Good for pomegranate too.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Look what I found at a thrift store for :10bux:, still in the box, with the blade covers on.

:stare: gently caress you.

I'm jealous :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it makes you feel better, it's more like a $150 slicer on amazon

Yeah me neither

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are all mandolins that expensive or is it just that particular brand or something? What brand is it, anyway?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's a Bron mandoline. They're the commercial standard.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Seems like it's been good lately for thriftshopping!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do you prefer using that over the japanese style (Benriner etc)?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No Wave posted:

Do you prefer using that over the japanese style (Benriner etc)?

Yeah, but mostly because the french style is just a better piece of equipment. Much more adjustable, and I love waffle fries/chips.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So if I'm looking to buy a mandoline, what's my best option? Love the Bron, but it's far too expensive. I have owned an OXO one that I didn't care for.
I've seen this: http://amzn.to/15X403w, which is probably at the very top end of my budget. Is it worth the money over this: http://amzn.to/13wBlrI ? Anything else I should be looking at?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angor posted:

So if I'm looking to buy a mandoline, what's my best option? Love the Bron, but it's far too expensive. I have owned an OXO one that I didn't care for.
I've seen this: http://amzn.to/15X403w, which is probably at the very top end of my budget. Is it worth the money over this: http://amzn.to/13wBlrI ? Anything else I should be looking at?

I ended up buying a borner v slicer, but went to the stainless steel version as I do a lot of carrots and things that may stain white plastics. It's OK, and while it can cut your fingers off, struggles a bit with harder veg, I hate the food holder too.

I can only repeat advice given to me when asking about them myself, probably best to look at ones that are properly adjustable, (the borner has 3 fixed sizes) and ones that have cheap replaceable blades. I just got a real cheap deal on a stainless one so bought it anyway. BTW now I have better knives and a bit more knife skill, I hardly use it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 18, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're buying a mandoline and have any sort of budget the only answer is Benriner.

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN1-Japanese-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B0000VZ57C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376964100&sr=8-1&keywords=benriner

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I absolutely adore my super Benriner and couldn't imagine wanting a different piece of equipment, which was why I asked... so +1 here. Honestly it just rules.

Though waffle fries are a very justifiable reason for needing the french style.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
SOLD!

On the Benriner, that is. I can live without waffle fries.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Man you overpaid, I got one for free.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Reviews on amazon lead me to believe that there is a significant fake market for Brons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Man you overpaid, I got one for free.

Not all of us have a Flash Gordon Ramsay laying around

• Locked thread