Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I couldn't sort out the red herring. I thought the doctor's death was faked and had nothing to go on once he was clearly dead.

Does anyone have votes for the next book? I'm reading Crooked House anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Since I have not yet covered it, I'd go for a book by Freeman Wills Crofts as suggested in the OP. But anything by Christie doesn't feel like a chore either.

e: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2013 - Free too even. If someone can lead the book for the rest of us, we should be set.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Grawl posted:

Since I have not yet covered it, I'd go for a book by Freeman Wills Crofts as suggested in the OP. But anything by Christie doesn't feel like a chore either.

e: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2013 - Free too even. If someone can lead the book for the rest of us, we should be set.

I think Autumncomet had volunteered to do either Pit Prop Syndicate or The Moving Finger. I could do Pit Prop Syndicate but would need time to read it, like a couple of days, so if someone else is ready to go that would be best.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I did volunteer to do it; give me the weekend to read it then we can start. :)

I got the bit with Armstrong and Wargrave collaborating but it never did occur to me that Morris was someone not on the island.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Autumncomet posted:

I did volunteer to do it; give me the weekend to read it then we can start. :)

I got the bit with Armstrong and Wargrave collaborating but it never did occur to me that Morris was someone not on the island.

So, did you read it yet? I'm eager to get on :D

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I'm keen too, if the thread is still going.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
If we don't hear from autumncomet in the next day or two, I'll read Pit Prop Syndicate and run it--I only need a day or so to skim it and decide on the breaks etc.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
That's actually a book I haven't read yet! I haven't read much Freeman for some reason, so I can finally participate in one of those. Looking forward to it.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
okay. It's Tuesday the 23rd. If we haven't heard from autumncomet by say 5pm Eastern tomorrow, I will fetch Pit Prop Syndicate from Project Gutenberg, go over it tomorrow night, and post the first assignment on Thursday at some point during the day. It will be simple enough for me to read more thoroughly as the discussion goes on.

Edit: While we are waiting, it might be a good idea to choose the next couple of books and who will host them so that we're ready to go when Pit Prop is finished.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Long story short, I had skimmed the book over the weekend and intended to read it more thoroughly last Monday. Then I ran into some medical issues, and when those cleared up my kindle decided to go crazy and I'm no good at reading books on my iPod. So those are my excuses. :smith:

Anyway, Pit Prop Syndicate is, like our previous Crofts book, not a traditional whodunit, so a warning there. The focus is not really on solving a murder but untangling a conspiracy. I think it could lead to some interesting discussion though and the characters are (unintentionally) hilarious. :v:

The Pit Prop Syndicate is available for free on Project Gutenberg in a variety of formats. There are some maps in the book that might not display we'll on an ereader but I'll link those separately in the thread when they show up. For the first assignment read up to the end of chapter 3.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

For the first assignment read up to the end of chapter 3.

Right then.

It appears that Merriman is the hero of our tale, perhaps assisted by his friend Hilliard. Other notable characters are Coburn, who runs the mill, his daughter, and Henri, a driver. There seems to also be various workmen and at least one more driver.

The mystery as it stands is why does Henri keep changing the number on his lorry, and why did Miss Coburn and Henri freak out when Merriman noticed this? And how can the pit prop trade be profitable?

I have to say, I am intrigued. I suppose that Henri could just be superstitious about numbers, or trying to pass one lorry off as another for some reason. But why? I think our intrepid sleuths should investigate where the lorries go to when they leave the mill.

Meander fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 4, 2013

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My thoughts so far:

At least one person at the mill isn't in on the conspiracy, or the numbers would get flipped there instead of out on the road. Since a truck labeled No 6 entered the mill and was potentially seen by a non-conspirator, there probably are at least six actual trucks. They're described as being identical to a casual inspection, so the label switching might be for confusing exactly which truck is being moved when.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wouldn't the driver be recognized?
You can make #4 look like #1 but someone would notice Henri was the second to leave but first to return.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Well so far I am just as confused as our heroes. The only thing that really sticks out to me is how they keep describing the trucks moving so slowly. If you are only transporting firewood, why do you need to move so glacially slowly?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Going to pick this up and start over the weekend. I looked at the scoreboard in the thread and noticed we have only 1 solid "win" so I am going to make a comeback to try and help rectify that!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Foxfire_ posted:

At least one person at the mill isn't in on the conspiracy, or the numbers would get flipped there instead of out on the road. Since a truck labeled No 6 entered the mill and was potentially seen by a non-conspirator, there probably are at least six actual trucks. They're described as being identical to a casual inspection, so the label switching might be for confusing exactly which truck is being moved when.

At first I was musing that Coburn might not be in on the secret (whatever the secret is), but that seems unlikely, especially as his daughter seems to be in the know. Perhaps Coburn is in on it, but the workers at the mill are ignorant, except for say Herni and maybe a few others. For some reason knowing which truck is being used when would arouse suspicion - perhaps something to do with the timing, which seems to be important somehow. Or maybe one of the trucks is special in some way?

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 1, 2013

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hobnob posted:

At first I was musing that Coburn might not be in on the secret (whatever the secret is), but that seems unlikely, especially as his daughter seems to be in the know. Perhaps Coburn is in on it, but the workers at the mill are ignorant, except for say Herni and maybe a few others. For some reason knowing which truck is being used when would arouse suspicion - perhaps something to do with the timing, which seems to be important somehow. Or maybe one of the trucks is special in some way?

Coburn has to either be in on it or be bad at business, since selling pit props should be unprofitable. Either someone's using him as a dupe and buying props at more than market price, or he's getting extra income from somewhere.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Awesome, finding this one easier to get through than the last Crofts book we did. Will join the conversation as soon as I get a chance to read chapter 3.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Interesting to see that this time it's not a murder we're trying to solve.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
What would help greatly for this first segment would be a compiled list of what numbers of lorries went in which directions, at what times, with which numbers, and when they were switched. I suspect it's all going to become very important. If nobody else does it, I may try to sort it all out this weekend.

And let's not write out the possibility of a murder here. It may just not have happened yet.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 27, 2013

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

ProfessorProf posted:

What would help greatly for this first segment would be a compiled list of what numbers of lorries went in which directions, at what times, with which numbers, and when they were switched. I suspect it's all going to become very important. If nobody else does it, I may try to sort it all out this weekend.

And let's not write out the possibility of a murder here. It may just not have happened yet.

I was planning to do this anyway.

9:00 - No. 6 and No. 4 arrive empty from Bordeaux
10:30 - No. 4 leaves mill loaded with firewood and changes 4 to 1
11:00 - No. 6 leaves mill loaded with firewood.
2:30 - No. 1 returns empty and changes 1 to 4
2:45 - No. 6 returns empty
3:30 - No. 1 leaves loaded, no number change

It is presumed that all lorries are coming and going from Bordeaux.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Fru Fru posted:

I was planning to do this anyway.

9:00 - No. 6 and No. 4 arrive empty from Bordeaux
10:30 - No. 4 leaves mill loaded with firewood and changes 4 to 1
11:00 - No. 6 leaves mill loaded with firewood.
2:30 - No. 1 returns empty and changes 1 to 4
2:45 - No. 6 returns empty
3:30 - No. 1 leaves loaded, no number change

It is presumed that all lorries are coming and going from Bordeaux.

So, looking at it from the perspective of people outside of the conspiracy, there are three trucks, not two...
No. 6 is behaving perfectly normally, carrying the goods to Bordeaux, so let's ignore it for now.

Bordeaux's perspective:
No. 6 and No. 4 leave to get goods.
No. 1 and No. 6 return with goods.
No. 1 and No. 6 leave to get goods.
No. 1 returns with goods.

Mill's perspective:
No. 6 and No. 4 arrive to get goods.
No. 4 and No. 6 leave to deliver goods.
No. 4 and No. 6 arrive to get goods.
No. 1 leaves to deliver goods?

That last delivery where No. 1 didn't change its number is really the weird one. That aside, the Mill wouldn't even be aware that Lorry 4 was ever Lorry 1.

I have no idea what to make of this, and I might have some details wrong, but really we just need more information. This is interesting!

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2013

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Not much information so far to allow much conclusions it seems. From the hints in the book, it sounds the like lady and the truck driver are in a conspiracy that probably involves smuggling some brandy, and the company owner doesn't know about it. As for changing the license plates, this would seem to cause the amount of trucks to appear much larger to the outside world, which in turn could be used to stem some potential suspicion about the frequency with which the same truck is doing trips. Or they're making the company appear much bigger than it really is.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Things seem to have slowed down, so let's move on and read to the end of chapter 5. You can unspoil things above this point. There's a map in chapter 4, linked here for those with ereaders: http://i.imgur.com/XlpZTli.png

Why can't Hilliard be the protagonist? :mad:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Well, I clearly misunderstood the company owner not being in on it. Not much useful information (that I can tell!) to help understand what the conspiracy really is. So apparently they have a depot in the UK and putting another one would strongly increase their profits. The boat crew is in on it. So it still looks like a smuggling operation, but how do the truck numbers factor in on that?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

So not much new information, or at least not that will help us unravel the mystery.
We have the people who are in on the scheme: Coburn, his daughter (probably), Captain Beamish, the engineer Bulla, and Henri. Plus at least one other on the UK side, the only one we know the name of is Archer. I think the other workers at the mill (and crew of the boat?) are probably not part of the enterprise, so the number-swapping is probably to fool them.

Still not sure why the swapping is being done. It strikes me that whatever they're smuggling has to be picked up from somewhere, so maybe it's done to disguise the movement of the lorry that's picking up the goods - perhaps it's a longer trip away. (Or alternately, if they're smuggling something from England to France (what?), the goods will need to be delivered somewhere at the French end.)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Why was Ms. Coburn so shocked to see Merriman? That's my big question right now. The captain had the same reaction, but the young lady we had gotten to know beforehand. She wasn't shocked the first time she met Merriman, just the second time.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2013

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

Why was Ms. Coburn so shocked to see Merriman? That's my big question right now. The captain had the same reaction, but the young lady we had gotten to know beforehand. She wasn't shocked the first time she met Merriman, just the second time.

Quite probably the first time she saw him she wasn't alerted because he was a random passerby. Now that he has returned, it's not so random anymore and they know there's a risk he's snooping around, suspects something or might run into something accidentally. Especially if the truck driver told about him looking at the plates.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Hobnob posted:

So not much new information, or at least not that will help us unravel the mystery.
We have the people who are in on the scheme: Coburn, his daughter (probably), Captain Beamish, the engineer Bulla, and Henri. Plus at least one other on the UK side, the only one we know the name of is Archer. I think the other workers at the mill (and crew of the boat?) are probably not part of the enterprise, so the number-swapping is probably to fool them.

Still not sure why the swapping is being done. It strikes me that whatever they're smuggling has to be picked up from somewhere, so maybe it's done to disguise the movement of the lorry that's picking up the goods - perhaps it's a longer trip away. (Or alternately, if they're smuggling something from England to France (what?), the goods will need to be delivered somewhere at the French end.)

I agree that the number swapping appears to be for the benefit of the mill workers. And since the boat's involved, then smuggling seems likely. But what? Drugs?

They need to see where in Bordeaux those lorries go - particularly when Henri is driving one.

Meander fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 4, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Autumncomet, you around? I think we're ready for our next assignment!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's not midnight so it's not the weekend in my time zone yet, but if you insist Prof. :colbert: Read through the end of chapter 8. Here's the chapter 7 map for the ereaders.

Edit: Oooooops, this is the actual map. Leaving the old one up in memory of my shame/good taste in movies.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 10, 2013

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Autumncomet posted:

It's not midnight so it's not the weekend in my time zone yet, but if you insist Prof. :colbert: Read through the end of chapter 8. Here's the chapter 7 map for the ereaders.

Judging by that "map", the story is taking a weird turn.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I didn't even know Abba was around in 1922!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My shame... :negative: Persepolis is a great movie, watch it! Here's the actual map: http://i.imgur.com/q3COJL3.png

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Can't say I'm any the wiser, and judging by the lack of posts here, neither are any of you.

I doubt the rectification business nearby is coincidence, though.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
I will hopefully get caught up on this tomorrow and perhaps I'll have something to contribute.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Same boat, still working on the section.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Caught up. Avenues of thought extinguished, but no new ones replacing them yet.

I think it's worth properly establishing what the question we're trying to answer is:
-What illicit business is being carried out at the pit prop operation?
-How is it being performed without anyone's knowledge?
-Who's in on it and who isn't?

If we can answer all three of those, I think we can call this a win. Also, I suspect answering any one will quickly reveal the other two.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I think we can move on at this point and Zola will catch up quickly. :) I hope my ABBA-shaming hasn't driven people off. :ohdear: A slightly larger chunk this time, read up to the end of chapter 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Still on chapter 9, but some quick initial thoughts:

Brandy in the props - a clever ploy, if it's true.
Fun fact: £84,000 in 1922 is equivalent to 5.3 million dollars in 2013. Nothing to sneeze at, nothing at all.

I wonder why SUGGESTION keeps appearing in all caps.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread