Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone have that page from the Avengers Fear Itself tie in where you can switch the characters' dialogue boxes and nothing is different.

That whole "Real World confessional" poo poo was the absolute worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

I loved a lot of things from Bendis' Avengers, but it's uneven as hell. He didn't know what the hell to do with Sentry or how to write him and it showed.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 16, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Re: The Hood. In Brian K. Vaughn's original mini where he debuted, Parker Robbins was an rear end in a top hat, pure and simple, but he was complicated. He had a conscious and, while being a kind of dumb piece of crap, he was a kind of dumb piece of crap who had a girlfriend, daughter, and dementia stricken mother to feed. He was a thug, but he knew right from wrong. This is a guy who accidentally kills and cop and it tears him apart inside.

Cue Bendis. The Hood is now running a giant gang of super criminals and is killing/maiming/feeding people to wolves(!), getting power ups from Loki/Dormammu/ and even the INFINITY GAUNTLET (which he is smart enough to steal from the Illuminati).

But that was Bendis' problem as someone mentioned earlier, he had an idea for a character in his head, and just so happened to use a character who was made to fit into his idea.

God drat did he waste Noh-Varr.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

IUG posted:

I never read that storyline besides your post right now. Maybe the President thought it was a good idea to seize the manson on his own. Hyrdra could have made a good point, but he wasn't going to do it because a terrorist told him to do so. Hell, the last page you posts even says "you guys are out of control and you need to do literal crowd control".

That would be really silly, just because there is no way in hell you do something you said you wouldn't do, even if its for other reasons. There is no way it wouldn't look like you are caving.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

E the Shaggy posted:

Cue Bendis. The Hood is now running a giant gang of super criminals and is killing/maiming/feeding people to wolves(!), getting power ups from Loki/Dormammu/ and even the INFINITY GAUNTLET (which he is smart enough to steal from the Illuminati).

I still can't believe that an Inhuman who knew about Black Bolt's secret hiding place would wind up in an Earth prison with the Hood.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

INFINITY GAUNTLET (which he is smart enough to steal from the Illuminati).

This is something that's bothered me way more than it should.

The guantlet is nothing. It has no power. It's essentially the setting that the important thing, the infinity gems, were in. It's just the glove that Thanos happened to put on that day after he finished brushing his teeth. This is like if I found cosmic laces and then after my inevitable defeat when Slapstick and/or Squirrel Girl tied them together, everyone fought over the Nikes left behind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

E the Shaggy posted:

God drat did he waste Noh-Varr.

Something I've been quite curious about, is Noh-Varr the same guy from Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy mini? Because I sort of had the impression he was but whenever I read him he seems NOTHING like the character from that mini.

Edit: And in a complete opposite from this thread's intent, goddamn did I love the story with the living corporation that gets torn apart by Earth corporations "like watching dinosaurs tear apart a space ship!"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jerusalem posted:

Something I've been quite curious about, is Noh-Varr the same guy from Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy mini? Because I sort of had the impression he was but whenever I read him he seems NOTHING like the character from that mini.

YEP.

Now you know why a lot of us get frothy about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: And in a complete opposite from this thread's intent, goddamn did I love the story with the living corporation that gets torn apart by Earth corporations "like watching dinosaurs tear apart a space ship!"

Are you reading Young Avengers? Because if not, you should be reading Young Avengers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

Are you reading Young Avengers? Because if not, you should be reading Young Avengers.

Noh Varr was the biggest draw for me to the new Young Avengers. Surprise, everything about it is fantastic and amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Looked it up, remembered seeing some of the panels posted in the funny panels thread and yeah, it looks pretty drat great, thanks for the recommendation.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jerusalem posted:

Looked it up, remembered seeing some of the panels posted in the funny panels thread and yeah, it looks pretty drat great, thanks for the recommendation.

The best/worst part is seeing neckbeards on social networking rage on it due to THE GAY AGENDA :byodood:

Because somehow Wiccan & Hulkling is a new development.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

The best/worst part is seeing neckbeards on social networking rage on it due to THE GAY AGENDA :byodood:

To be fair Wiccan & Hulkling ARE the worst part of the book. But only because they are so loving boring! Hopefully this Prodigy thing makes things more interesting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Jesus, it's like:

Heterosexual Romances in comics - 57,000 | Homosexual Romances in comics - 8

and they're complaining about a gay agenda?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus, it's like:

Heterosexual Romances in comics - 57,000 | Homosexual Romances in comics - 8

and they're complaining about a gay agenda?

First they get the comics then they get the wrestling! Next they'll be taking over our most manly men: cowboys and lumberjacks!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

First they get the comics then they get the wrestling! Next they'll be taking over our most manly men: cowboys and lumberjacks!

At least we'll always have gladiators.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

At least we'll always have gladiators.

Like in the show Spartacus!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Noh Varr was the biggest draw for me to the new Young Avengers. Surprise, everything about it is fantastic and amazing.

It has Noh Varr, it has kinda Kid Loki, it has a Hawkeye. Young Avengers has everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

cisneros posted:

It has Noh Varr, it has kinda Kid Loki, it has a Hawkeye. Young Avengers has everything.

Will it soon have a dog that loves pizza?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Will it soon have a dog that loves pizza?

He'll be in the next iteration of Pet Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

He'll be in the next iteration of Pet Avengers.

I just assumed he might be since he moved to LA with Hawkeye.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

404GoonNotFound posted:

Conversely, if you go on Tumblr at the right times, the best/worst part can also be lady neckbeards rage on Young Avengers because it dared to introduce some small element of drama to the beautiful, flawless, sexless perfection of Billy/Teddy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Speaking of Young Avengers. The first 12 issues and special are pretty good. However, due to the writers other commitments he was unable to continue the title and it left the characters in limbo. So last year out came Avengers: The Children's Crusade. The story made no sense what so ever and completly destroyed some characters. It had delays and everything about it was pointless and awful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Speaking of Young Avengers. The first 12 issues and special are pretty good. However, due to the writers other commitments he was unable to continue the title and it left the characters in limbo. So last year out came Avengers: The Children's Crusade. The story made no sense what so ever and completly destroyed some characters. It had delays and everything about it was pointless and awful.

It destroyed some characters more then others. Poor Stature...on the plus side, it made it so there could be new mutants again, and Scott Lang!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endless Mike posted:

So you heard about Darren Young, I hope. Step Two Achieved!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Huh. I was thinking I might like to read that. I liked the original series and special; it reminded me a lot of the stuff Geoff Johns had been doing with Teen Titans (probably no surprise, because I think Heinberg was sharing a studio with Johns at the time) but I thought it was more enjoyable than that series. It's a pity to hear the follow-up wasn't great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What exactly happened in The Children's Crusade anyway? All I've ever heard about it is that its terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

If you liked the original Young Avengers, just skip to Kieron Gillien's relaunch. All you need to know is that Cass died. :(

I think maybe Young Vision died too? He's not in the new book anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

What exactly happened in The Children's Crusade anyway? All I've ever heard about it is that its terrible.

The YA look for Scarlet Witch, Dr. Doom has taken her in and she's lost her memory, Doom is trying to marry her in a ploy to get her powers, Scarlet Witch regains her memories and undoes the no more mutants thing, Stature is killed and her father(the second Ant Man) is brought to life.

Lurdiak posted:

I think maybe Young Vision died too? He's not in the new book anyway.

Oh yeah, and Jonas(Young Vision) died. Iron Lad came back and wanted to use time travel to fix things but everyone told him not to so he wouldn't gently caress the timeline Age of Ultron style, he got angry and Kang like and left, and now he's showing up in FF.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 17, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

A bunch of dumb poo poo. I don't know if I hate myself more for remembering a lot of this or for being curious enough to look up the rest to fill in the blanks.

Okay, so the Young Avengers are fighting some random bad guy in NYC and it looks like they're gonna lose and then Teddy gets hurt so Wiccan freaks the gently caress out and just saves the day via magic explosion. The Regular Avengers show up and get kinda worried that Wiccan could turn into Scarlet Witch 2 and freak out and Disassemble everybody's rear end again so they lock him up in the Mansion until they can figure out something else to do. The YA bust him out (btw, Speed figures out how to vibrate through walls like the Flash, which is something I didn't think Marvel speedsters could do). Then Magneto pops in to help them bust out too. See, Magneto's pretty sure Speed and Wiccan are somehow related to him because they have the same names as Wanda's kids did, and they have the exact same powers as Wanda and Quicksilver, and Speed even has Quicksilver's hair. So Wiccan teleports everybody to... I forget, Germany or somewhere... to try and find Wanda because they think she's alive. They find her conveniently in the exact village they teleported to. But then Quicksilver (who is coincidentally there trying to kill Magneto) accidentally knocks her head off, and reveals she's a Doombot.

So everybody goes to Latveria. They find out that Doom has Wanda, and they're gonna get married. Wanda wiped her own memory after M-Day and Doom took her in to assure she stays calm/doesn't regain her power and go nuts. Wiccan keeps pestering her to leave, but Doom won't allow it, so then Iron Lad shows back up from the timestream and warps everybody back to the time of Disassembled. Cassie ignores Doc Brown Iron Lad and runs up to have a tearful reunion with her dad before he is killed. Wanda regains her memories and powers and warps everybody back to the present before all the explosions start happening, also inadvertently bringing Scott Lang with them. Wanda gets all depressed and magics up a bunch of Kree ships and Ultrons to kill herself but everybody stops her and Wiccan tells her that he and Speed are her sons, just reincarnated. So she bucks up and everything gets better and Billy gets a tearful reunion with his mom.

(I'd just like to take a timeout to mention that Wiccan has a mom. Wiccan already has a dad! Technically, even if he's a reincarnated Maximoff, he has two birth parents, both of whom love him and support his homosexuality. Do you know how rare that is in superhero comics? Do you know how rare that is in life? And he's gonna risk fooling with the timestream and further damaging reality just to confirm a theory that he could be Scarlet Witch's kid. Why do people like this character?)

Beast (who popped up during all this) asks Wanda if she can undo M-Day and she says she doesn't know. They take a crack at it with Rictor from X-Factor and restore his powers. Then the Avengers and X-Men show up and poo poo gets real dumb. Captain America says she'll face justice, Cyclops keeps shouting about "Mutants deal with mutant problems!", Wolverine keeps growling about how they should just kill both Wanda and Wiccan (by the way, he's been doing this pretty much the whole story, which is a major factor in why the story is so bad. A lot of characters are way out of character). Wanda keeps mentioning she'll fix what she did, but by this point, a mini-AvX has started since everybody's too retarded in this series, so the Young Avengers + Wanda warp back to Latveria.

Doom reveals that the only reason Wanda freaked out and caused Disassembled/House of M/M-Day to happen is because she came to him after her kids died and they used something called the Life Force to juice up her powers and let her try to resurrect them. It went wrong and she was overpowered by said entity. They're gonna try it again with Wiccan helping to undo M-Day. Meanwhile, Patriot is freaking out. He has been pretty much since Magneto showed up. He thinks teaming up with Magneto was a mistake, he thinks finding Scarlet Witch was a mistake, and he definitely is against allowing Doom to be near any sort of super-force, but everybody else is pretty okay with it since they think it'll work. So he takes Hawkeye's bow off her back and shoots vaguely at the spellcasters, loving up their spell and giving all the Life Force to... Doom. SMOOTH. Doom fixes his face and goes back to where the AvX fight was happening and says he's gonna fix everything. So without even listening to what that would entail, everybody attacks him, and he starts kicking their asses since he's basically a god now. The Young Avengers, who have popped in by now, join the fight.

Doom kills Cassie Lang after she comes running at him. Almost immediately after that Wanda and Wiccan manage to remove Doom's new powers. He reveals in a huff that he is actually responsible for influencing Wanda to do all those bad things she did ("CHARACTER FIXED" says Allan Heinberg, hi-fiving himself) and takes off to Latveria. Iron Lad is real pissed off and says he's gonna go save her, then everybody points out how that's just the kind of irresponsible time fuckery that will lead him to become Kang the Conqueror, then he tell them to gently caress off and blows up the Vision 'cause gently caress the Vision.

Scarlet Witch leaves and everybody lets her go. (Cyclops tells her that if she ever tries to gently caress with mutants again, he'll kill her. Seriously, Scott? Not even gonna try looking into that thing where she can turn back on people's powers that's proven to work? Okay, I guess some sorta flaming space-bird will come fix everything :rolleyes:) The Young Avengers disband and wait for themselves to get a Marvel Now series.

If you'll excuse me I'm going to drink.

VVV: Disappeared. Not like, actually disappeared, he just quit the game. Apparently the mysterious villain in the new YA kinda dresses like him, but no one knows who it is.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 17, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So what happened to Patriot after all of this?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TwoPair posted:

If you'll excuse me I'm going to drink.
The worst part of all of this is, in all its mediocre out of character aggressively self-insert soapboxing glory it was delayed how long and for what?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lets not forget that Wiccan is Allan Heinberg self insert and Hulking is his perfect boyfriend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

Doom kills Cassie Lang after she comes running at him. Almost immediately after that Wanda and Wiccan manage to remove Doom's new powers. He reveals in a huff that he is actually responsible for influencing Wanda to do all those bad things she did ("CHARACTER FIXED" says Allan Heinberg, hi-fiving himself) and takes off to Latveria.

Does the Thing show up to squelch his head afterwards?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The best part about Children's Crusade is how at the end Scott Summers gives a long speech about how the Scarlet Witch may or may not have been possessed by a mystical force and acted against her will, that doesn't matter. What matters is that she killed people, and she must be made account for what she did.

Then immediately after this Avengers vs. X-Men happens, and that speech never get's brought up again.

I should also point out, that series took years to come out, and still felt really rushed and amateurish. But Alan Heinsberg has TV, and that takes priority. (Largely because it pays more.) It was the same with that Wonder Woman relaunch that he did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm disappointed to hear that it's not great, because I liked the original YA series a lot and one would hope that the originators of the characters would be able to keep it up.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Wanderer posted:

Conversely, if you go on Tumblr at the right times, the best/worst part can also be lady neckbeards rage on Young Avengers because it dared to introduce some small element of drama to the beautiful, flawless, sexless perfection of Billy/Teddy.

Lady Neckbeard is my least favorite superhero.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Lady Neckbeard is my least favorite superhero.

She had quite a following in the 20's at the height of Freakshows.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

cisneros posted:

Did it get good writing because I couldn't even make it through the first arc. It was trying to be some kind of superhero slice of life thing except nothing about it was entertaining or interesting enough to make that concept work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Doom kills Cassie Lang after she comes running at him. Almost immediately after that Wanda and Wiccan manage to remove Doom's new powers. He reveals in a huff that he is actually responsible for influencing Wanda to do all those bad things she did ("CHARACTER FIXED" says Allan Heinberg, hi-fiving himself) and takes off to Latveria.

Goddammit I hate this type of thing, like when they retconned Hal Jordan going crazy into being infected by an alien fear monster since apparently good people never do bad things/have a bad day.

• Locked thread