Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chosen
Jul 11, 2002
Vibrates when provoked.

Che Delilas posted:

The only reason you are unsure is because you're aware of how obscenely much you don't know compared to what you do know.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/socrates101212.html

Cicero posted:

more tips

Thanks guys, that's good advice. I also found some related threads on the programmers stackexchange. A lot of the advice boils down to asking questions and taking good notes.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/83288/my-first-job-in-a-dev-team-what-should-my-priorities-be/
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/58908/integrating-into-a-new-team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chosen posted:

Well, I've been extended an offer for a Software Engineer job for a demanding company in Chicago. This will be my first full-time pure development job -- I've developed tons of small internal tools as a SysAdmin and Automation/QA Engineer, but nothing I've had to maintain for more than a few months, and certainly nothing I've ever collaborated on. I've basically been a one-man shop for almost everything I've ever worked on, so I've never had to go through a painful merge, for example.
I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, about to start my first developer job having spent five years writing internal tools and professional service projects for customers on my own.

I'm mostly spending my spare time trying to get my head around Android as much as I can so that when I start there I can focus more on integrating with the team and their processes rather than the language and framework. Though there's still going to be a lot of that too.

I know that the company I'm starting with has hired fresh graduates in the past so I don't really have any concerns about them helping me get up to speed. Most companies should know how to help you get to where you need to be.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Anyone have experience working in a traditional PM role and feel like sharing some advice? I'm headed to Redmond for a final round interview and I'd appreciate any info on what the job is like compared to a traditional dev role, pros/cons, etc.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

bonds0097 posted:

Anyone have experience working in a traditional PM role and feel like sharing some advice? I'm headed to Redmond for a final round interview and I'd appreciate any info on what the job is like compared to a traditional dev role, pros/cons, etc.

does the P stand for project or product

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

rotor posted:

does the P stand for project or product

Project Manager, sorry.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

Honestly, those are probably good things to ask to your interviewers about. Many of them may be former dev or test, so they could tell you why they switched roles and whatnot.

I'm not a PM, but of the "traditional PMs" that I work with, their role seems to vary greatly from team to team and even person to person. I assume this has to do both with circumstance and what you make of the job.

Standard interview tips: Get sleep the night before (as much as possible) and eat breakfast.

tk fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 17, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bonds0097 posted:

at places I've worked (not microsoft) PMs are completely nontechnical and are there to wrangle schedules and dependencies and set milestones, find out why milestones were missed and basically just be calendar nags. but as tk says, the job description for project managers varies wildly from company to company.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I've delivered pizza at Papa John's for... almost 5 years now. I haven't been listing this on my resume because it's quite clearly unrelated to programming. But nothing I have actually relates to programming directly. Would the Papa John's job be good just to show that I can stay in one place for five years?

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Zero The Hero posted:

I've delivered pizza at Papa John's for... almost 5 years now. I haven't been listing this on my resume because it's quite clearly unrelated to programming. But nothing I have actually relates to programming directly. Would the Papa John's job be good just to show that I can stay in one place for five years?

No

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Zero The Hero posted:

nothing I have actually relates to programming directly

Then you'll never get a job as a programmer.

You really have to have experience before you can get experience. But this is the one industry where you don't have to be hired by a programming company to get programming experience. Spend a weekend to build something simple and useful software project.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Even having personal projects that you can talk about in-depth helps a lot. I usually list whatever toy personal projects I have going on my resume, even if they're half baked and never likely to see the light of day. At least it gives you *something* to show that you have some knowledge of software development, however small.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Zero The Hero posted:

What have you done then, hobby development?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A PM at Microsoft is not a dev role, period. If you're Interviewing on the belief that it is then there's been a serious miscommunication. PMs are responsible for the product considered as a set of end-user features. They decide what those features will be, how they rank in business value, and how to modify them as needed to meet the schedule.

There are also certain "czar" type roles in each product group tasked with company wide initiatives (e.g. attack threat modeling) and a PM might also be assigned to these in addition to the main role.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 17, 2013

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Pilsner posted:

What have you done then, hobby development?

Very little, but I also have a degree.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Zero The Hero posted:

Very little, but I also have a degree.

And so does nearly every other person who will be applying for the jobs you want.

Even if you're fresh out of school, it sounds like you've made a pretty huge mistake. Surely you have a semi-cool capstone project to list on your resume or something, right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Why have you been delivering pizzas instead of software development if you have a degree?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Work can be hard to find in this economy.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

Why have you been delivering pizzas instead of software development if you have a degree?

Trust me, I'll switch jobs as soon as I can.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Have you kept up with any of your college classmates? Asked them to represent you for job openings where they work? Asked them to pass on your name when they get certain types of recruiter cold calls?

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 18, 2013

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
while (!makeit) fakeit();

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Zero The Hero posted:

Trust me, I'll switch jobs as soon as I can.

I guess I should ask, "did you graduate and then worked at Papa Johns for 5 years?" Because that is probably a dealbreaker.

Also leave Tennessee.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 18, 2013

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Have you been applying in the Oak Ridge tech corridor? There are many small equipment engineering firms there that need programmers. It's niche work but beats Papa John's.

vvvv Suspicious Dish is not the job seeker in question.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 18, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Work can be hard to find in this economy.

actually its dead simple easy to find right now but you have to (now bear with me here) you have to go to where the jobs are.

your profile says you're in boston. there should be plenty of jobs available. if this is not the case, consider moving to the bay area, where all the technology is. the market for programmers - even ones fresh out of school, assuming they're not brain dead - is super hot. If you have a CS degree and you're making pizzas, then something has gone seriously loving wrong vis a vis your career plans.

Step One: write a loving code. either something cool on your own or fix some irritating bug(s) in a high-vis open sores project.
Step Two: put that poo poo on your resume in place of papa fuckin johns. I dont know how long you've been out of school but if you've been makin pizzas for like years after you graduated, then its time to get creative and explain what you've been doing with yourself in that time. Maybe you've done some contracting, maybe you tried to start your own business and failed (we all have). But do not let on that you've been makin' fuckin pizzas.
Step Three: Go where the jobs are and get one.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

I guess I should ask, "did you graduate and then worked at Papa Johns for 5 years?" Because that is probably a dealbreaker.

Also leave Tennessee.

No, I worked to pay my way through college, but it has been a couple years since I graduated. I didn't stay there by choice though. Same for staying in TN, I don't have the resources to get out.

rotor posted:

your profile says you're in boston. there should be plenty of jobs available. if this is not the case, consider moving to the bay area, where all the technology is. the market for programmers - even ones fresh out of school, assuming they're not brain dead - is super hot. If you have a CS degree and you're making pizzas, then something has gone seriously loving wrong vis a vis your career plans.

Actually, I'm the one who delivered pizza. But your advice... it's terrible. I struggle where I am in Tennessee, I definitely can't just pack up and move to the other side of the country where the rent is ridiculous and I don't have a job.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Zero The Hero posted:

No, I worked to pay my way through college, but it has been a couple years since I graduated. I didn't stay there by choice though. Same for staying in TN, I don't have the resources to get out.

Actually, I'm the one who delivered pizza. But your advice... it's terrible. I struggle where I am in Tennessee, I definitely can't just pack up and move to the other side of the country where the rent is ridiculous and I don't have a job.

First off, good on you for paying college by yourself.

I think the problem is you are not confident enough in your own ability to get things done and you're worried about your inexperience. The problem as I see it is you are not doing anything to erase that inexperience. Are you working on your own code, taking courses through a MOOC, or posting some code to GitHub and/or committing source code to open source projects? Having a degree is nice and all but you need more than that.

Finding a job is always difficult and is usually stressful for most people, but the only way to find one is to actually just grind it out and start applying for jobs you think you'd be qualified for, and when you get an interview, don't stop applying to other jobs. If any company wants you to fly out, they should be paying for pretty much everything (unless you stay longer than 1 day/1 night to visit friends) except for maybe food expenses but even then you'll probably get a free meal out of the interview.

I read some of your older posts and you're thinking about accepting 40k offers. I don't know what the CoL is for where you're living but even bad "Enterprise" jobs pay more than that in the tech cities.

You don't have to move out to the Bay Area for a tech job. There is Seattle, Portland, Austin that are pretty affordable. Hell living in Southern California (LA/OC) the prices are not "insane" (unless I guess if you settle for a 40k salary there).

Even if you cannot move out of Tennessee for some reason, there are still people programming (in Nashville at least). Just looking for Nashville Ruby Meetup landed me this: http://www.meetup.com/nashvillerails/. What you need to do is find what you want to do in terms of software development, look for meetups about that subject and just go to them and start networking. Talk to people for 5 minutes, then ask them if their company has any openings.

I don't know what your financial situation is that you have to continue to deliver pizza, but you need to start doing something else that will make yourself more appealing to companies as a programmer. Either that is getting a job, writing up some code, whatever, you just need to start doing it.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
Little known tech city: Victoria, Canada. Over 2300 tech companies, and counting(in a city with far less than half a million people.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

actually its dead simple easy to find right now but you have to (now bear with me here) you have to go to where the jobs are.

Yes, I'm lucky to live in such a thriving city, and have such an amazing job. Others are less fortunate.

But yeah, if you apply to pretty much any tech company, they'll fly you out, and if you're finding trouble getting lodging, they'll put you up in a hotel for a few months while you hunt, or with a lot of SF startups, they'll let you stay at the owner's house for a bit.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I got my first job out of college by a friend who was interning at a place. He was leaving to go back to school, and they wanted someone to replace him full-time, so he gave me a call.

Networking is important.

Find a local user group for your language of choice. Start showing up and talking to people. Maybe sign up to do a talk yourself. I've presented at user groups a grand total of twice, and I ended up at an interview recently where the interviewer told me he had been at one of the two talks I did, and decided to call me because of it.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 18, 2013

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

A PM at Microsoft is not a dev role, period. If you're Interviewing on the belief that it is then there's been a serious miscommunication. PMs are responsible for the product considered as a set of end-user features. They decide what those features will be, how they rank in business value, and how to modify them as needed to meet the schedule.

There are also certain "czar" type roles in each product group tasked with company wide initiatives (e.g. attack threat modeling) and a PM might also be assigned to these in addition to the main role.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought a PM and Dev did similar things. I'm just trying to get a better sense of what being a PM is like, at MS. I expressed specific interest in working on high-level security architecture stuff for Windows 8 Mobile so your second paragraph makes sense in that respect. I recognize that I will learn most by asking questions during my interview(s) but it doesn't hurt to try and learn more beforehand.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sitting Bull posted:

Little known tech city: Victoria, Canada. Over 2300 tech companies, and counting(in a city with far less than half a million people.)

And 90% of them are servicing the provincial government!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zero The Hero posted:

. But your advice... it's terrible. I struggle where I am in Tennessee

you struggle where you are in Tennessee because you have a degree in computer science and you live in Tennessee. There are no computer jobs there.

figure out a way to get to the Big City and go there. Find a company willing to fly you out, stay on couches, go there in a van and live in the van, whatever you gotta do. That's my advice. Or you can keep being the guy with a computer science degree who delivers pizzas.

You're stuck somewhere that your degree does you no good. You have my sympathies, I was too once upon a time. But you can change that. Stop complaining about "the economy" because the economy is only poo poo where you are. Move.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

And 90% of them are servicing the provincial government!
Ooooh, that sounds exciting and cutting edge. :v:

Seriously though, I'll probably be considering Victoria in a few years... good to hear there's at least something of a tech community.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

rotor posted:

you struggle where you are in Tennessee because you have a degree in computer science and you live in Tennessee. There are no computer jobs there.

figure out a way to get to the Big City and go there. Find a company willing to fly you out, stay on couches, go there in a van and live in the van, whatever you gotta do. That's my advice. Or you can keep being the guy with a computer science degree who delivers pizzas.

You're stuck somewhere that your degree does you no good. You have my sympathies, I was too once upon a time. But you can change that. Stop complaining about "the economy" because the economy is only poo poo where you are. Move.

rotor is spot on. i basically just listed school and personal projects on my resume and got a lot of interviews and a decent amount of offers in the west coast. also, many bigger companies will at least let you phone screen or fly you out if you don't have the money to move out yet.

so don't just apply locally.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

rotor posted:

There are no computer jobs there.

Yes, Tennessee sucks, but there are some jobs here.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Krenzo posted:

Yes, Tennessee sucks, but there are some jobs here.

Some, yes. Lots, no.

Take a look at careers.stackoverflow.com...
California: 406 jobs.
New York: 250.
Washington (state): 130
Tennessee. 11

Of course, Maine has 0 jobs on SO.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

There has got to be some businesses in even the redneckiest states that require some internal development, like an intranet, homebrew CRM, etc? SO job postings are probably mostly hip software companies, eh?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I checked SO careers where I live and there are a whopping 3 listings from companies I've never heard of, in spite of the fact that there certainly appear to be plenty of jobs here.

At least here, if you go the post-presentation beer hour at any JS/Ruby/Mobile developer hipster meetup, you're doing something wrong if someone doesn't tell you about at least one opening at a company you might actually want to work for.

I imagine these companies are not posting on SO Careers or anywhere else because they don't really have to.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Ithaqua posted:

Some, yes. Lots, no.

Take a look at careers.stackoverflow.com...
California: 406 jobs.
New York: 250.
Washington (state): 130
Tennessee. 11

Of course, Maine has 0 jobs on SO.

http://www.dice.com/job/results/tn/us?caller=advanced&src=19&x=all&p=sw

Search results: 1 - 30 of 786

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I was about to say.... SO must be sparsely used - 406 jobs in all of California, home of the tech boom??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

genki posted:

Ooooh, that sounds exciting and cutting edge. :v:

Seriously though, I'll probably be considering Victoria in a few years... good to hear there's at least something of a tech community.

Yep. Many of the apps I support still run on a Java 1.4 stack. That said, I still get to do some reasonably modern (if not interesting) projects. Some branches of the government are more modern than others.

I'm probably painting things as more dire than they actually are. There are probably plenty of interesting jobs here, I just haven't really looked since I got here.