Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

just literally thought I was done with the prologue

You are, though. Even if you hit the level cap for Normal you still have five hundred and fifty-nine more levels spread across six characters, five of which you haven't even played yet. That's a lot dungeon crawling dude you'd better get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Death Cube K posted:

You are, though. Even if you hit the level cap for Normal you still have five hundred and fifty-nine more levels spread across six characters, five of which you haven't even played yet. That's a lot dungeon crawling dude you'd better get to it.

I echo that a lot of the playability is in trying different characters as well as playing with other people. That's where the game truly shines. Try to pick a character that isn't just a mirror of what you just did as well. Like if you worked on the Wizard, don't take the Sorceress. Try something fresh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

^^^^
Oh the Irony. I went Sorc -> Wizard just because I wanted to see what his spells are like :v: I don't regret it though I can see how Sorceress is more favorable in parties at the moment. Bought the wizards Storm spell and pretty drat happy with how it works.

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I just beat it in five.

It's enjoyable, but, I thought this was the first chapter.

Edit: didn't really come here to get mocked and derided so I will just accept that there are nine stages and three difficulties. Thank you!

Double edit: sorry if I sound like a dumb jerk, just literally thought I was done with the prologue and that's game :(

Yeah it's understandable, I'm usually like that with games as well. Harder difficulties seem to give bosses new attacks and the added challenge is what keep me coming back, and the Bonus Dungeon you unlock is pretty interesting from what I've seen.

I just need to stick with one character though. I have a level 35 Dwarf, a level 32 Sorceress and a level 20 Wizard

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just need to stick with one character though. I have a level 35 Dwarf, a level 32 Sorceress and a level 20 Wizard

I've leveled all six of them with my amazon in the high 90's. I think I might have a problem.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Marogareh posted:

I've leveled all six of them with my amazon in the high 90's. I think I might have a problem.

Holy poo poo dude, when I saw you online today with your Amazon in Infernal I figured that was your only character. Does grinding become easier later on or have you just put the raw hours in?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Harder difficulties seem to give bosses new attacks and the added challenge is what keep me coming back, and the Bonus Dungeon you unlock is pretty interesting from what I've seen.

The game difficulty scales amazingly well, it's continuously challenging while never feeling cheap or unfair. Enemies become distinctly different to the point where they might as well not even be the same even if they are using the same sprites. Obviously the Black mobs stand out as very dangerous foes, the skeletons start to freeze you in place, goblins start casting magic faster/stronger then mages, and don't even talk to me about the the impossible to hit teleporting Bandit ninjas that web you and kill you in one hit.

Then just when you are sick of ordinary mobs and think things are getting stale the game starts to throw Minotaurs and Gazers or whatever else at you as non-boss mobs. Then there is the super secret boss deep in the Chaos Labyrinth. :dance:

What am trying to say is if anyone here believes they have seen everything the game the game has to offer on normal they are way wrong.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo dude, when I saw you online today with your Amazon in Infernal I figured that was your only character. Does grinding become easier later on or have you just put the raw hours in?

A bit of both, the 200% exp conversion rate in infernal helps tons when you're chaining and you can get more with score blessings.

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize
I've got like a level 6 dwarf, haven't even unlocked online mode yet. I can already tell this game is a lot more complicated than I was expecting. Not sure yet if that's good or bad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oakdale posted:

I've got like a level 6 dwarf, haven't even unlocked online mode yet. I can already tell this game is a lot more complicated than I was expecting. Not sure yet if that's good or bad.

Your first run through the basic 9 stages is effectively an extended tutorial. At the end of that, it unlocks online play and the 'real' versions of all those levels.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'm level 75 and just had a person join me as an Amazon. All of their equipment in bag 1 was broken but they kept using it. They also ran straight through every dungeon without fighting or letting me open chests, grab gold, etc. I'm not sure what the goal was.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Which dudes are weak to which element? I'm trying to build bags with each type in mind but I barely know which boss is weak to what

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

SombereroLad posted:

Which dudes are weak to which element? I'm trying to build bags with each type in mind but I barely know which boss is weak to what

If you have a JP translator handy this page has a list of common mobs' resistances along with handy pictures and for bosses it's as follows:

Harpy, weak against thunder
Medusa, no weaknesses/strengths

Minotaur, weak against thunder
Gargoyle Gate, strong against fire

Golem, no weaknesses/strength
Arch Demon, No weaknesses/strengths

Wyvern, weak against ice
Red Dragon, weak against ice, strong against flame

Vampire, weak against thunder
Wraith, strong against ice

Warlock, no weaknesses/strengths
Chimera, no weaknesses/strengths

Doom Beetle, weak against fire
Cyclops, no weakness/strengths

Pirate gang, weak against thunder
Kraken, weak against thunder

Gazer, weak against fire,ice,thunder
Killer Rabbit, weak against fire

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

Death Cube K posted:

If you have a JP translator handy this page has a list of common mobs' resistances along with handy pictures and for bosses it's as follows:

Harpy, weak against thunder
Medusa, no weaknesses/strengths

Minotaur, weak against thunder
Gargoyle Gate, strong against fire

Golem, no weaknesses/strength
Arch Demon, No weaknesses/strengths

Wyvern, weak against ice
Red Dragon, weak against ice, strong against flame

Vampire, weak against thunder
Wraith, strong against ice

Warlock, no weaknesses/strengths
Chimera, no weaknesses/strengths

Doom Beetle, weak against fire
Cyclops, no weakness/strengths

Pirate gang, weak against thunder
Kraken, weak against thunder

Gazer, weak against fire,ice,thunder
Killer Rabbit, weak against fire

Thanks!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

"Kraken: weak against Thunder"

Well, no wonder Grand Smash wrecks Kraken's poo poo so hard, at least part of the damage on it is thunder IIRC.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

He's weak against Thunder and I think you also get the damage boost from him being in water.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Add a + Lightning % weapon into the mix and you can kill the Kraken before the fight even really starts.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, if I've got a Lightning staff equipped on my Wizard, the Kracken usually dies shortly after it's first tidal wave.

That said, the Kraken is also the single reason I don't set up any kits with fire staves when running the Chaos Labyrinth anymore. I've had two amazing runs nearly scuttled by having that jackass show up while I was running a bag kitted out with a Fire Staff and had to whittle him down slowly like fire bolts once my stock of Thunderbolts ran out. He's a really easy fight if you can end it fast... and a goddamn nightmare if you have to slog it out.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

For the beginner class Fighters sure are harder to play than Sorceresses and Wizards. Probably not helped by the way that fully half of their skills make them more vulnerable to getting killed.

e: magic classes don't lose their weapons every time they get hit either.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

Vanillaware games actually base their difficulties around inventory management.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Oh turns out you can lose your shield too. You know, to punish you for taking advantage of the only thing the Fighter can do. :bravo:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can someone give me hints for fighting the Red Dragon as an Elf so I don't get completely loving destroyed and lose 3 lives in 30 seconds?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Death Cube K posted:

Boss elemental weaknesses

So pretty much Thunder all the way, with fire backup for levels with trees and zombies and ice for the red dragon.

I've been trying out gravity with the sorceress, and it's ok but they really should give you at least 5 or 6 uses right from level one. I mean I guess with rock drop, gravity, and adroit hands all leveled up a bit you could do some nice combos for taking out mobs, but it seems like you can already do that with a straight up AOE damage spell...

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

Can someone give me hints for fighting the Red Dragon as an Elf so I don't get completely loving destroyed and lose 3 lives in 30 seconds?

I've heard that hanging around in the bottom right corner of the treasure room will prevent you from getting hit by his fire attacks, so there's that. I've only really tried it once and it seemed to work, but I might have just not noticed since I had Protection up and was eating at the time.

p.crestmont posted:

ice for the red dragon

To be honest, the ice Air Up+Circle attack is stellar against all large non-high mobility bosses. Dragons, Cyclopes, Archdemon, Minotaur, and the Chimera all get rocked pretty hard. It's got good range, to boot.

Death Cube K fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 18, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's kind of a shame Lightning seems to be best for weaknesses, it's my least favourite moveset by a wide margin, and it's way too drat expensive in MP. I'd say Ice is above Fire overall, the tornado spell does indeed ruin bosses who don't jump around, and freezing enemies is way too handy.

What's the point of fighting the Red Dragon in his treasure pile? Every time I've been in an attempt, we get demolished and run to the bridge anyways, and I've never been in a party that's lost the DPS race.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Oh turns out you can lose your shield too. You know, to punish you for taking advantage of the only thing the Fighter can do. :bravo:

At first I didn't like him either since he felt generic but once you get used to him and level him up a bit he's actually really good. I managed to kill the Ancient Dragon solo and underleveled by standing right in his face and blocking when needed.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

It's kind of a shame Lightning seems to be best for weaknesses, it's my least favourite moveset by a wide margin, and it's way too drat expensive in MP. I'd say Ice is above Fire overall, the tornado spell does indeed ruin bosses who don't jump around, and freezing enemies is way too handy.

What's the point of fighting the Red Dragon in his treasure pile? Every time I've been in an attempt, we get demolished and run to the bridge anyways, and I've never been in a party that's lost the DPS race.

Some quests demand it, and if your party can handle it it's faster.

If you're solo you might be able to make a case for Ice/Lightning, but in a party your major contribution is going to be melting the non-boss enemies and one of Slow/Protection. Since the only enemies that are really dangerous to non-magic users (read: to the Amazon) are zombies and ghosts, Fire generally comes out on top.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For Amazon, is it worth maxing both necksplitter and stun wave? Or just to focus on one? They seem very similar.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I maxed out stun wave but I put a point in neck splitter so my double jump attack has the effect. The shockwaves can proc freeze and petrify so I find it better overall. You won't have enough points for both unless you give up some of the other more awesome skills.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 18, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
There's no way to skip the credits is there? Marogareh and I stomped the Dragon's face in, and I have a feeling I'm gonna get sick of seeing these over and over.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

There's no way to skip the credits is there? Marogareh and I stomped the Dragon's face in, and I have a feeling I'm gonna get sick of seeing these over and over.

You can skip them when you see them on higher difficulties...until you beat the game for the first time as a different character at which point you'll have to sit through them again.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can't skip them in Infernal either which is pretty aggravating.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

tooooooo bad posted:

You can skip them when you see them on higher difficulties...until you beat the game for the first time as a different character at which point you'll have to sit through them again.

That's adorable. It's like a perfect little cap to hours and hours of having the narrator remind you about your talisman count every time you walk out of a building.

What were they thinking?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

That's adorable. It's like a perfect little cap to hours and hours of having the narrator remind you about your talisman count every time you walk out of a building.

What were they thinking?

To be fair the narrator thing has been fixed in the supposedly upcoming patch. :iiam:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wow, I just learned that certain screens have flavor text when you click on them. You can click on Lucain, his staff, and the dog in the tavern. Yes you get text for clicking on Morgan's boobs. No I don't understand either.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

CharlestonJew posted:

Wow, I just learned that certain screens have flavor text when you click on them. You can click on Lucain, his staff, and the dog in the tavern. Yes you get text for clicking on Morgan's boobs. No I don't understand either.

Think of the whole thing as a D&D adventure. Any GM worth his Funyuns can come up with that much reaction text for characters poking around in shops. (It also explains all the art; D&D has always been a power fantasy, that's the entire loving point. Which is why the devs were so dismissive of complaints.)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It's also a really direct callback to the old D&D arcade games.

e: thanks I didn't want all that experience anyway game. Now to wait fifteen minutes and see if it will at least let me have the loot. :negative:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 18, 2013

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

tooooooo bad posted:

I have never seen this happen unless it starts happening in infernal or you really have to get the poo poo beat out of you. Or unless you meant having it break!

Also I don't know what you mean by harder to play than Sorceress or Wizard, you can basically autopilot your way through normal and most of hard as a fighter with your ground combo and blocking instead of having to worry about that whole wacky mana stuff or wacky element stuff.

Also I really hope in that fabled patch or whatever that we don't have that they fix Cover Allies' description because holy poo poo is it misleading.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jowy posted:

I have never seen this happen unless it starts happening in infernal or you really have to get the poo poo beat out of you. Or unless you meant having it break!

Also I don't know what you mean by harder to play than Sorceress or Wizard, you can basically autopilot your way through normal and most of hard as a fighter with your ground combo and blocking instead of having to worry about that whole wacky mana stuff or wacky element stuff.

Also I really hope in that fabled patch or whatever that we don't have that they fix Cover Allies' description because holy poo poo is it misleading.

If you block too much at some point it fails, you take a hit, and your shield flies away. It's pretty awesome. Also playing Sorceress is comically easy awesome with that huge teleport and air dash and always having access to a laundry list of legitimately useful skills. Of which the Fighter has exactly none. The one that pulls aggro is pointless and the other is basically a suicide button. Super neat. Best thing the Fighter has going is the ton of invincibility frames that come with shoving his sword into the ground.

e: nope it's definitely not going to give me the loot either.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 18, 2013

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
I just want a patch so couch co-op players can all hand in quests at the same time, enter shops at the same time and open the inventory at the same time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of the D&D arcade game it's on sale on Steam for the weekend, $8.99 so line up those quarters.

• Locked thread