Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Speaking of that, is it worth picking up even though I've played Dragon's Crown and have no nostalgia for those games? Or is DC better in every way? (The old Capcom D&D beat-em-ups)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

tooooooo bad posted:

If you block too much at some point it fails, you take a hit, and your shield flies away. It's pretty awesome. Also playing Sorceress is comically easy with that huge teleport and air dash and always having access to a laundry list of legitimately useful skills. Of which the Fighter has exactly none. The one that pulls aggro is pointless and the other is basically a suicide button. Super neat. Best thing the Fighter has going is the ton of invincibility frames that come with shoving his sword into the ground.

e: nope it's definitely not going to give me the loot either.

You'd have to be blocking a shitton for that to happen then because I've honestly yet to even see it happen in hard mode. Given how many things you can get away with blocking and how you eventually work up to getting a 100% damage boost just for blocking anything it's pretty fair to expect that you can't hold it down forever.

Also Distraction gives you 30% bonus damage and is probably appreciated by wizards trying to meteor swarm or whatever. It's not an overpowered piece of poo poo like War Paint or anything but it's hardly pointless, more damage is always cool when you're already getting another 100% from Cover Allies.

Really the point is it's cool sorceress can teleport and air dash and have spells but a fighter sits there and can get through the vast majority of situations by sitting there like a big beefy dude and using his square button a lot which is pretty much the very definition of being simple and easy.

I mean granted if the comparison point for being harder to play is like 60 levels later when you have a bunch of points in all of your skills casters are probably pretty easy especially if you have big buff manly fighters around but holy poo poo at low levels something like Wizard is absolutely dire.

edit: ^^ Shadow over Mystara is pretty cool and fun but it's functionally very different from Dragon's Crown. If you like other older beat em ups it's probably worth it, but only if you have cool bros to play it with.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

tooooooo bad posted:

e: thanks I didn't want all that experience anyway game. Now to wait fifteen minutes and see if it will at least let me have the loot. :negative:

You hit one of those endless black screens? poo poo, those are awesome.

Sometimes I can hear my character jumping around when I hit "X". It gives me a cruel sense of hope.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

What were they thinking?

You must collect 9 talisman's to defeat the Ancient Dragon.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
What was worse was getting reminded to find the entry to the forbidden blah blah after getting rocked by the dragon over and over, very annoying thank you.

The best part was that stumbing into the forbidden land was like the very first thing I did accidentally before the whole problem even came up at all. My first game over as dwarf :shobon:

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
"Dragon's Crown: You must collect nine talismans to defeat the Ancient Dragon"

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I feel lucky that I haven't ran into these killer black screens. Which means my time is coming.

"Dragon's Crown: You must collect nine talismans to defeat the Ancient Dragon"

Dragon's Crown: They were being duplicitous. It was all a ruse!

The DM is cool sometimes, but drat dude learn when to shut up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Million Ghosts posted:

They were being duplicitous. It was all a ruse!
The first time I heard that I thought it meant that the person who gave me the quest was in league with the pirates, so I was really confused when I went back and gave them the thing same as always.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Switching the narrator voice to the Sorceress helps a lot, I find.

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.
I started mapping out the runes only to find out that they don't all show up in the same place all the time. :( I had a rune guide set up and everything.

Has everyone got all the runes figured out? I activate every single rune I see and have most of them down, but I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The only ones I use anymore are extra item stock and double score bonus. The extra lives one is okay in the beginning but worthless once you're rolling in gold. It does take a while to remember the combos since the order in which you activate them doesn't matter.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Crap I got one of those hacked level 99 bones. What's the safest way to get rid of them without it corrupting my save?

edit: also how do you tell if your online coop buddy is going to continue the chain run or not? I keep checking by clicking their name but I assume there's a way to tell between dungeon transitions

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 18, 2013

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Marogareh posted:

The only ones I use anymore are extra item stock and double score bonus. The extra lives one is okay in the beginning but worthless once you're rolling in gold. It does take a while to remember the combos since the order in which you activate them doesn't matter.

TSK (when applicable) and THF are probably the only other ones worth mentioning. ECG I guess too.

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

TSK (when applicable) and THF are probably the only other ones worth mentioning. ECG I guess too.

The lowest rank treasure I've seen from a THF chest is B, it's usually A and sometimes you get an S rank. THF is always worth it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Don't forget the DIE chest at Forgotten Sanctuary.

e: I like using Sigil Of Death in rooms where you find an O rune because it tends to wipe out most enemies on screen instantly and it's easy to remember. Usually more helpful than the healing from SOL.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 18, 2013

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Lakbay posted:

Crap I got one of those hacked level 99 bones. What's the safest way to get rid of them without it corrupting my save?

edit: also how do you tell if your online coop buddy is going to continue the chain run or not? I keep checking by clicking their name but I assume there's a way to tell between dungeon transitions

Revive all your other bones, then bury it and sell any item it gives you.

Lots of people I play with select Continue with their hand to show that they're doing it, but I don't think there's a way to check.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Lakbay posted:

Bury them, and if you receive an item from burying them, sell it. If you resurrect them enjoy your corrupted data.

Usually people use the cursor and point to the left/right options, at least this is what Japanese do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's crazy how I haven't even played this and I can see the combat all of you guys have described. Assuming it really translates to the game then that's a great sign of well structured, smart gameplay. It almost sounds like Bayonetta. Free flowing natural combat you can really learn and master in a way that works for you.

Too many words! Installing now, woooo~

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

CharlestonJew posted:

Wow, I just learned that certain screens have flavor text when you click on them. You can click on Lucain, his staff, and the dog in the tavern. Yes you get text for clicking on Morgan's boobs. No I don't understand either.

The mermaid says she lost her bra escaping from the kraken.. IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Something I haven't seen and don't get: what is the point of Rannie's level? Is it better loot or what?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
For Elf, am I better off putting points in Deadly Boots and Dagger/Backstab, or should I ignore one and focus on the other for non-bow damage output?

waah posted:

Something I haven't seen and don't get: what is the point of Rannie's level? Is it better loot or what?

He opens locks faster, less chance of traps, and better loot.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Million Ghosts posted:

For Elf, am I better off putting points in Deadly Boots and Dagger/Backstab, or should I ignore one and focus on the other for non-bow damage output?

Don't spend too many points on boots. The damage output just isn't there to be worth it, even when maxed out, and you're putting yourself in danger for little benefit. Elves don't have any really awesome effects that work well with their kicks in their skill tree. There ARE boots you can find that give you improved kick damage, but even so it's a pretty gimmicky build to work around. You can be more effective using your elemental magic while still getting arrows back from it.

Your focus should be on improving your arrow shots, maxing out Power Shot specifically. Maybe one point into Clone Strikes (boss killing damage up close) However, Dagger and Backstab are freaking great, especially when coupled with improved evasion. I like to dash at enemies, then dodge past then, and do a running dagger slash at their backs before they can turn, you can get stupid amounts damage from this (and it stacks with Salamander Oil/Poison). It's quite risky on Hard and above though, since enemies react faster, hit harder, and last longer, especially in multiplayer.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Oh, I know that kicking isn't really viable as a build and I've been mostly focusing on Power Shot and Impact Arrow. I was just curious as to what my best secondary damage source was. Thanks for the infodump.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Red Harvest posted:

I started mapping out the runes only to find out that they don't all show up in the same place all the time. :( I had a rune guide set up and everything.

Has everyone got all the runes figured out? I activate every single rune I see and have most of them down, but I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing.

Actually, someone beat you to the punch.

Reverof posted:

I made a list of the Rune combinations for reference. Should be printer friendly too. Grab it here:

EDIT: Oh, you mean mapping out all of the rune spawn points. Yeah, they're mostly randomized and the few that really matter are pretty easy to remember if you come across them. There's always a THF in the OTS room, the room in Old Capital next to the banshee quest room, the room with the third Village Maiden in the Catacombs, the wrecked cart in the B route of the Lost Woods, and so on. It might be good to nail down the set rune combinations. And if someone could figure out if different combinations were weighed to have different chances of spawning at different rune spawn points, I'd be very impressed. Also a little frightened, it sounds like a job for a madman.

Whenever a B rune shows up I get annoyed if someone casts SBS, unless we're in the Chaos Labyrinth.

Also:

Million Ghosts posted:

Oh, I know that kicking isn't really viable as a build and I've been mostly focusing on Power Shot and Impact Arrow. I was just curious as to what my best secondary damage source was. Thanks for the infodump.

I find that Elemental Lore is the best secondary damage option once you get it to a high enough level. The stat screen doesn't tell you, but when it levels it improves both AOE/range depending on which element you're using, and combine that with the tornado's decent DPS you'll find you can get more mileage out of it. The trouble is it's a bit tricky to use since you're not taking advantage of the Elf's other main asset, agility. At a high enough level, though, Deadly Boots 3 ought to keep your kicks slightly less ineffectual than normal and you can afford to dump points into Elemental Lore when your high priority skills are a few good levels away from an upgrade. The tornado can be stacked up on itself like the casters' Ice Staff tornado and if a boss is standing still you can get a lot of hits in with it. It does a lot more damage than boots, but boots are both more fun to use and kicks can keep you in the air longer if you're Evade Cancelling charged shots.

Also as an Elf I find that with Clone Strike lvl 2 (no higher), Impact Arrow, Power Shot, and your choice of either Salamander Oil or Toxic Extract (or better yet, both) you can do obscene amounts of damage that put all of your other options to shame. Just crouch and charge up volley shots and you'll straight up melt bosses' faces. Your consumable skill items apply their effects to your Impact Arrow shockwave(s) and turns it from a curiosity into a raging pillar of fire. Or cloud of poison. Bows that buff Magic Damage also buff this effect.

I consider Elf a sort of high-speed hybrid-caster with an extremely powerful nuke option.

Runa fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 18, 2013

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Are wands supposed to be this lackluster? I have a level 86 sorceress and her damage is negligible unless I'm hitting a weakness and even then it takes a while. It doesn't help that the majority of the wands I've gotten were utter trash and I'm still using some that are 7-8 levels lower.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Marogareh posted:

Are wands supposed to be this lackluster? I have a level 86 sorceress and her damage is negligible unless I'm hitting a weakness and even then it takes a while. It doesn't help that the majority of the wands I've gotten were utter trash and I'm still using some that are 7-8 levels lower.

Sounds about right. You're really dependent on other classes to do damage for you in Infernal. Course it wouldn't hurt to have weapons closer to your level.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really wish the game wouldn't keep tossing player-bones at people who're deliberately trying to avoid them. I keep seeing the same Japanese message pop over bones, constantly, and it's getting on my nerves. It's that one hacker whose Sorceress is named TESSA, all caps.

I'm being haunted by the ghost of a hacked character.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Bored as poo poo with my Dwarf. When things get crazy on screen during multi-player I just end up trying to throw everything, loosing myself in the chaos then smashing when I realize I'm not where I thought I was.

The only thing Im not liking about this game, and this is just me, but the story. I realize its "play the same maps over and over and get better" old school style. But I still would like to play the story at least once and then hop online. After a rather long online session I get "You have found x amulet" about 6 times. It's like I am completing important missions and not realizing it because I am surrounded by 3 sorceresses and between all their tornadoes and my smashing, I loose track of what is going on.

Think Ill start a Knight tonight. I havent learned poo poo about dodging with the dwarf, never seemed to run out or see any penalties.

On a side note, what are the good generic skills to invest in ? Do they stay the same for all characters ?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I really wish the game wouldn't keep tossing player-bones at people who're deliberately trying to avoid them. I keep seeing the same Japanese message pop over bones, constantly, and it's getting on my nerves. It's that one hacker whose Sorceress is named TESSA, all caps.

I've got a hacked set of bones in my pile right now that I'm scared to even touch. I buried it once and got an Emergency Ring, but when I checked my inventory, they all sold for normal prices. I quit immediately instead of selling them all off.

Is it safe to just leave them where they are, or will they eventually get angry and screw everything up?

Buster Machine
Jul 15, 2013

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Bored as poo poo with my Dwarf. When things get crazy on screen during multi-player I just end up trying to throw everything, loosing myself in the chaos then smashing when I realize I'm not where I thought I was.

The only thing Im not liking about this game, and this is just me, but the story. I realize its "play the same maps over and over and get better" old school style. But I still would like to play the story at least once and then hop online. After a rather long online session I get "You have found x amulet" about 6 times. It's like I am completing important missions and not realizing it because I am surrounded by 3 sorceresses and between all their tornadoes and my smashing, I loose track of what is going on.

Think Ill start a Knight tonight. I havent learned poo poo about dodging with the dwarf, never seemed to run out or see any penalties.

On a side note, what are the good generic skills to invest in ? Do they stay the same for all characters ?

Vitality, Deep Pockets, and Evasion are the major common skills. Sorceresses and Wizards should also get Adroit Hands. None of the rest of them seem to be worth it to me.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Amazon perspective: Evasion doesn't matter at all, get Adroit Hands so you don't have to wait as long to get both warpaint and your strong draught up.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I find Adroit Hands quite good on a Dwarf, but most of them are pretty underwhelming.

I've got a hacked set of bones in my pile right now that I'm scared to even touch. I buried it once and got an Emergency Ring, but when I checked my inventory, they all sold for normal prices. I quit immediately instead of selling them all off.

Is it safe to just leave them where they are, or will they eventually get angry and screw everything up?

I think it only matters if the item itself is hacked. If it's selling for normal price, it's probably okay and not a time bomb.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
So whats all this talk about hacked characters ? I just finished the "rez 30 dudes" quest. Buried the rest of the bones I had.

Received an emergency ring when I buried them.

Any "flags" on hacked characters ? And why would they be dead if they are hacked ? I'd assume they would be godly Dwarves shooting tornado arrows that do fire damage with petrification splash AOE type poo poo.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

So whats all this talk about hacked characters ? I just finished the "rez 30 dudes" quest. Buried the rest of the bones I had.

Received an emergency ring when I buried them.

Any "flags" on hacked characters ? And why would they be dead if they are hacked ? I'd assume they would be godly Dwarves shooting tornado arrows that do fire damage with petrification splash AOE type poo poo.

Check the resurrection prices. If a set of bones costs an inordinate amount, like in the millions, it's hacked.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
On top of that, 99% of hacked characters I see have Japanese messages, so if you avoid those you cut your chances of dealing with it way down.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Million Ghosts posted:

On top of that, 99% of hacked characters I see have Japanese messages, so if you avoid those you cut your chances of dealing with it way down.

So many opportunities for a racist joke, anti-Japanese 80's sentiment here.

What is the story on hacked characters ? I bought this game because of this thread. Haven't searched teh webs on any guides. Enjoyed the poo poo out of playing. Loved the artwork. What is the drama behind the hacks ?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Marogareh posted:

How much damage is "negligible"? I've never really had issues with my sorceress's damage output as long as I'm not comparing it to an amazon or an elf using clone strikes. It also depends a lot on which offensive skills you're using with the staves.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Knight seems like he could be a loving tank for a party build. Somewhat item dependent, but still. From what I have seen playing online so far. I walk up to mob/boss, pull aggro, let all the sorceresses and elves shoot while I take all the damage.

If I could get a sorc who spawns food a few times before each room change, Id be set.

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It might be good to nail down the set rune combinations.

I thought about this one too, but the set runes are usually in side rooms and either give you something related to the room or just some treasure. Every instance of THF might be useful to know for maximum looting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I can't figure out why you would want to save the girls on the vampire stage. Do you get anything special or any rewards?

• Locked thread