Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

I choose to creatively interpret his Cardassian avatar as the Cardassian everyone should aspire to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Platonic Ideal of the Cardassian, if you will?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If the one non-clan warship currently in the Inner Sphere is going to get wrecked it drat well happen on screen. It's gonna go out in a blaze of well, something and I want to see it happen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

If the one non-clan warship currently in the Inner Sphere is going to get wrecked it drat well happen on screen. It's gonna go out in a blaze of well, something and I want to see it happen.

We aren't going to play BattleSpace anyway, so whether or not we see it get taken out is purely PTN's choice and has nothing to do with the game we play.

E: there's also several other non-Clan WarShips in the IS. The FWL has a hidden stash that they need the infrastructure to refurbish, for instance.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 18, 2013

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Unless somehow we get to fight on the surface of the Warship itself. :black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

We aren't going to play BattleSpace anyway, so whether or not we see it get taken out is purely PTN's choice and has nothing to do with the game we play.

One would assume you have a better chance of getting a more up close look at the action if it is part of the mission you pick regardless of whether or not you're actively moving ships on a little board and making PTN roll dice to cause the destruction. Otherwise we wouldn't be playing a game at all and we'd just show up periodically to have PTN tell us what happens. The thread runs through him, so everything is his choice. That's kind of a poo poo reason to claim something has nothing to do with the decision.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Having a WarShip actively fighting in combat is significant enough that it will probably be addressed regardless. The attack on the imperial palace on New Avalon got mentioned and WarShips are WAY more important than a Davion House lord.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
drat cult of personality... you'll regret worshiping the Davion 'underdog' you hated until recently when you're massacred by our better educated warriors on your precious separate maps! :argh:
(Then again I voted against the pretty warship being thrown into action in the first place, maybe this'll be more fun... and challenging! It sounds like the hardest map since Nadir... :D)

Don't hold back PTN, face these periphery hating voters with the full competence of the TDF, make them earn an upset!!

Seriously though, have fun guys. :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 18, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
One more vote for B because I want to join the cult of personality. (and the mission itself sounds really cool.)

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Voting B because the bigger and more expensive something is the more spectacularly it explodes. after the compelling arguments of Defiance Industries.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Having a WarShip...
So I know this is a big stompy robots thread, but I'm pretty sure BattleTech has rules for space / WarShip combat too, right? What are the chances of a combat scenario with succulent Naval PPC violence, PTN?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Endomorphic posted:

So I know this is a big stompy robots thread, but I'm pretty sure BattleTech has rules for space / WarShip combat too, right? What are the chances of a combat scenario with succulent Naval PPC violence, PTN?

Warship combat is highly unlikely, but I could possibly see having Death by Orbital Naval PPC BombardmentTM if the scenario goes too long (don't such strikes devastate city blocks per shot?).

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Well, we won't be seeing any orbital bombardment in a tactical update now, since the vote is for the Davions and their fancy split map. :colbert:

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 18, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

don't such strikes devastate city blocks per shot?

A Naval Gauss or PPC pretty much hits an entire mapsheet, yeah. The Quixote-class is a missile boat though, and Naval missiles work a little differently.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Readingaccount posted:

(Then again I voted against the pretty warship being thrown into action in the first place, maybe this'll be more fun... and challenging! It sounds like the hardest map since Nadir... :D)

Don't hold back PTN, face these periphery hating voters with the full competence of the TDF

You say it's going to be hard and then you ask PTN to play with the full competence of the TDF? Make up your mind dude.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Taurian society has promoted the development of its citizens through the ages, leading to technological, educational and military excellence. It is the secret to how we resisted the Star League more effectively than any other periphery power. This Concordat priority enables us to promote the best talents among us to become Mechwarriors.
No doubt hundreds if not thousands of exceptional pilots are wasted every year in the Fedrat portion of your 'Draconis Suns', plowing away at the dirt.
Regrettably our high-level leadership is often too rash, but this is an understandable flaw, knowing that Taurian citizens will punch many times above their numbers they often fall prey to hubris and neglect our lack of ability to replace losses. Yet they hold that greatest of Taurian virtues necessary for the security and prosperity of its citizenry, the will to succeed and the ability to commit!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 18, 2013

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A Naval Gauss or PPC pretty much hits an entire mapsheet, yeah. The Quixote-class is a missile boat though, and Naval missiles work a little differently.

Because they'll be throwing nukes down from orbit?

I'm voting B for nukes from orbit.

vvvvvv Only if V loses would they add more nukes. Conversely, if the B group wins, the Taurians will have to throw more nukes!

Remmon fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 19, 2013

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Nukes from orbit would be V, actually.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Readingaccount posted:

Taurian society has promoted the development of its citizens through the ages, leading to technological, educational and military excellence. It is the secret to how we resisted the Star League more effectively than any other periphery power. This Concordat priority enables us to promote the best talents among us to become Mechwarriors.
No doubt hundreds if not thousands of exceptional pilots are wasted every year in the Fedrat portion of your 'Draconis Suns', plowing away at the dirt.
Regrettably our high-level leadership is often too rash, but this is an understandable flaw, knowing that Taurian citizens will punch many times above their numbers they often fall prey to hubris and neglect our lack of ability to replace losses. Yet they hold that greatest of Taurian virtues necessary for the security and prosperity of its citizenry, the will to succeed and the ability to commit!

Taurian military excellence exists only in the Taurian Corps of WMD-Launching. The rest of the TDF is otherwise an unremarkable collection of poor leaders, bad logistics, and subpar pilots. There's a reason that the TDF has lost every campaign it has started for six hundred years and by the 32nd century is in a state of military and economic collapse.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Taurian military excellence exists only in the Taurian Corps of WMD-Launching. The rest of the TDF is otherwise an unremarkable collection of poor leaders, bad logistics, and subpar pilots. There's a reason that the TDF has lost every campaign it has started for six hundred years and by the 32nd century is in a state of military and economic collapse.

A nation started by paranoid deserters doesn't understand how a military functions, news at 11!

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

The rest of the TDF is otherwise an unremarkable collection of poor leaders, bad logistics, and subpar pilots.

So they're in the perfect running to be a major power, since they're already apparently almost to being a great house in resources.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Also it seems like the super serious Taurian fans forget that the biggest military "victories" in the Reunification War were entirely due to irregulars and insurgents on the ground. Their vaunted military forces? Routed when actually fought using the no holds barred tactics the Taurians say is their specialty.

they often go on and on about war to the knife and knife to the hilt, but the entirety of Battletech history goes to show that they're really loving bad at it when push comes to shove.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

Holybat posted:

they often go on and on about war to the knife and knife to the hilt, but the entirety of Battletech history goes to show that they're really loving bad at it when push comes to shove.

Well, that's just because they're only on about war to the knife. Clearly, they're unprepared for fighting unarmed with pushes and shoves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Andrevian posted:

So they're in the perfect running to be a major power, since they're already apparently almost to being a great house in resources.

Not really. They've got, what, twenty-some planets? Most of them are still hosed up from the Reunification War, generally due to the Taurians themselves. The Lyran Commonwealth has more pristine garden worlds than the Taurians have planets.

Holybat posted:

Also it seems like the super serious Taurian fans forget that the biggest military "victories" in the Reunification War were entirely due to irregulars and insurgents on the ground. Their vaunted military forces? Routed when actually fought using the no holds barred tactics the Taurians say is their specialty.

They're not even that GOOD at it anymore. During the Jihad, the WoB bombarded their capital and the Taurians sat on their hands. The WoB took a swing at Regulus and Regulus came back at them by glassing every world they could get to that had Blakists on it. I'm talking full-scale obliteration of all life on a world for harboring one Robe. If I had to garrison somewhere, I'd be far more afraid of trying to hold a Capellan or Regulan world.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm personally just happy to see the thread come together to ruin the Taurians by making them go full retard with their warship and then voting to lead the forces resisting them.

gently caress you, nuclear space Texas.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Massive failure to get :thejoke:

He wasn't talking about planets, he was saying "resources" like say brain power, or tactical skill... then again as a lyran you probably wouldn't know about those two.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Voyager I posted:

There's a slogan I can get behind. :patriot:

Sair
May 11, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

He wasn't talking about planets, he was saying "resources" like say brain power, or tactical skill... then again as a lyran you probably wouldn't know about those two.

Point the biggest guns you have at the enemy. What else is there?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Voyager I posted:

I'm personally just happy to see the thread come together to ruin the Taurians by making them go full retard with their warship and then voting to lead the forces resisting them.

"Space Texas. Space Texas. Space Whiskey."
--last words of the last Taurian General

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sair posted:

Point the biggest guns you have at the enemy. What else is there?

You need to put them on the biggest mechs you can possibly make :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

You need to put them on the biggest mechs you can possibly make :colbert:

We invented the Blitzkrieg-4F, the Fafnir-X, the Eisensturm and the Gertie. I don't think anyone gets to give advice on how to build things.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
All this talk about the Jihad era coupled with MechWarrior Online taking a dramatic turn into the shitter is making me sadly nostalgic about the obvious Jihad sequel-hook at the end of MW4:Mercenaries that was never followed up on.

I just want a MechWarrior game :smith:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Voyager I posted:

All this talk about the Jihad era coupled with MechWarrior Online taking a dramatic turn into the shitter is making me sadly nostalgic about the obvious Jihad sequel-hook at the end of MW4:Mercenaries that was never followed up on.

???

MWO going to the shitter is news to me. Could you explain?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Voyager I posted:

A MechWarrior game set in the Jihad would be awful anticlimactic. "Congratulations, you won this planetary campaign! The Blakists responded to being pushed offworld by having a WarShip nuke your unit on its way out. GAME OVER."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

MWO going to the shitter is news to me. Could you explain?

Long story short, :pgi:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

A MechWarrior game set in the Jihad would be awful anticlimactic. "Congratulations, you won this planetary campaign! The Blakists responded to being pushed offworld by having a WarShip nuke your unit on its way out. GAME OVER."

Tch. You're forgetting the obvious ~moral choice~ you have to make near the beginning, to either work for or against the Blakists. And come on they didn't nuke every planet that they lost. Hell I doubt they had warships above every contested planet either, though I'll admit I'm just thinking logically and with reason, and battletech just laughs at those two things.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

PoptartsNinja posted:

Long story short, :pgi:

I was just thinking of actually loading up MWO. What's the long story?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

ActionZero posted:

I have a video of me ranting for half an hour, if that helps (and you're bored)

But in text-

Introduced 'Mech that made poptarting prime strategy
Patches to improve sniping that broke brawling
Refusal to patch to video-game meta because table-top + MY IMMERSION
Response to complaints from players = Ghost Heat, Third Person camera and refusal to admit there is a problem via Twitter and forums

So snipers rule, if you want to be effective, you need to use PPC's and Gauss. Anything else is sub-optimal, and god help you if you want to use ballistics other than Gauss and AC/20, and SRM's.

Essentially, it's turned into MW4 multiplayer.

Oh, and they released a 'Mech (Golden Boy) that relies on a weapon that doesn't work (SRMs) AND has enough of them to set off Ghost Heat, so one salvo and you shut down. :psyduck:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

Tch. You're forgetting the obvious ~moral choice~ you have to make near the beginning, to either work for or against the Blakists. And come on they didn't nuke every planet that they lost. Hell I doubt they had warships above every contested planet either, though I'll admit I'm just thinking logically and with reason, and battletech just laughs at those two things.

The Protectorate Militia, no. The Shadow Divisions used NBC Warfare as a "force multiplier" in their standard operating procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ActionZero posted:

The developers don't have the best idea of what they're doing or what's the best way to accomplish it. Updates tend to break things and sometimes those things take a long time to fix or are never fixed. Balancing varies between doing nothing for months and then dramatically over correcting without adequate testing. Some of the faces of the company are kind of assholes. There's been a bit of a dearth of new content since launch, with just a couple of new mechs and maps, which have been a very mixed bag quality wise, and no new gameplay features like alternate game modes or community warfare. These are said to be on the horizon, but there's been very limited information about any specifics, which has people doubtful.

It's a shame because there was a very promising core game that was pretty fun to play even in it's rougher state, but myself and apparently a lot of other goons just got tired of nothing being added to the game and some stuff actually being made worse. I mean it's free to play, so it probably wouldn't be too bad to just check it out, but I'd really recommend against spending any money on it. I got a bunch of in game currency during their initial sign up period and I haven't even used half of what I got since then.

• Locked thread