Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Sin Dios posted:

I loving hate how conmebol keeps inviting Japan to the Copa America, they're the only confed who ruins their regional tournament with countries from another continent entirely and all because of some money deals, I hope Japan wins it so they realize how stupid it is.

It has a lot to do with the fact that there are only ten nations in CONMEBOL, so you either have to have two groups of five, invite two teams to make three groups of four, or tell Bolivia and Ecuador that nobody likes them and they should gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

atomic gog posted:

They've been kicked out of European competition for 2 years for match fixing, they've appealed to the CAS and the verdict is due at the end of the month.

I completely forgot about that. It's far from a foregone conclusion, though.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Mickolution posted:

I completely forgot about that. It's far from a foregone conclusion, though.
If they're willing to fix matches, the chances of trying to bribe the CAS are probably quite high too.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

Parity warning posted:

Several of the faces are funny but those substitutes :psyduck:

Kagawa must've gotten quite a tan this summer

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Kagawa must've gotten quite a tan this summer
Same with Fabio, while Zaha has gone for the Michael Jackson look

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Badvertising spotted at Stamford Bridge

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Badvertising spotted at Stamford Bridge

The idea of a grown man sitting down and patiently cutting out and glueing newspaper clippings to a big piece of cardboard tickles me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I've sometimes spent close to 60 seconds from time to time trying to find a picture of Wenger back when he was a player. Today I've finally hit jackpot.

oh neat here's another of his time at Strasbourg.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The infamous 'Jamie Redknapp Stepover'

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Nice pass for a centre back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDZ98u7Ztzo

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

The Mash posted:

The infamous 'Jamie Redknapp Stepover'

Hahaha

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
"I was under the impression that all I had to do was show up"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

:allears:

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Lucas was ready to go right there.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He really does look like he's about to punch Nzonzi in the face at the end of that gif.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

He really does look like he's about to punch Nzonzi in the face at the end of that gif.

If it kicked off I would feel bad for your pack of midgets. Lucas did us a service though. Nzonzi was about 3 seconds away from being banned for 10 weeks there, lad is a mentalist.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Coutinho ain't about that life, needs to step back.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
http://youtu.be/i_zNuJ7hs60

I want Jans phone number too, so dreamy.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

I've sometimes spent close to 60 seconds from time to time trying to find a picture of Wenger back when he was a player. Today I've finally hit jackpot.

oh neat here's another of his time at Strasbourg.

Fun fact: Wikipedia lists Wengy's position as "uncertain" since it's apparently unclear whether he was a CB or an AM. He probably doesn't even remember it himself.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Does this predate shinguards?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

If it kicked off I would feel bad for your pack of midgets. Lucas did us a service though. Nzonzi was about 3 seconds away from being banned for 10 weeks there, lad is a mentalist.

N'Zonzi would have beaten up our entire team. We don't even have Carra's mates to rely on any more.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Arsenal fans saw how successful the Chelsea style of protest was and had a go.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Nah, that's A3 at least.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Byolante posted:

Lucas is a good dude. He even brings the pizza.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZFaHx034hY

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

When keeping it real goes wrong.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Ouch.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Christ, he's lucky he isn't dead.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Sagna is loving boss.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shrapnac posted:

Christ, he's lucky he isn't dead.

Fuuuuuuck, his neck. Jesus christ, he's lucky to still be walking.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't watch ligue 1, but I just saw this video and it's crazy. Guillermo Ochoa completely shutting down PSG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebDqXtz9lDE

dox
Mar 4, 2006

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'm usually not to interested in footballers biographys (Jack Wilshere recently released his, Wayne Rooney has already released three ffs) but I'd love to get to the bottom of Bergkamps fear of flying. It'll probably be boring and poo poo and full of gossip.

I've read good things about Thierry Henrys biography, mostly because it describes him as a mentalist. The Sex Ghost gave me Eddie Hapgoods biography in the secret santa thing a couple of years ago, that was great only for learning about how professional football worked in the 30s and 40s.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Check his wiki.

quote:

Bergkamp's nickname is the Non-Flying Dutchman due to his fear of flying. This stemmed from an incident with the Netherlands national team at the 1994 World Cup where the engine of the plane cut out during a flight
And an article from 1996

quote:

Bergkamp's phobia was exacerbated by a scare during the 1994 World Cup when the team plane was delayed after a Dutch journalist joked about having a bomb in his bag. He was jailed.

There was also a air crash in Surinam a few years ago which killed several members of the Dutch youth team. They included the younger brother of John Veldman, who was in the Euro 96 squad. There is moral support at Highbury, though. Paul Merson is scared of flying - and has said that one of the hardest things about giving up alcohol is having to fly sober.
Not sure there's more to it than that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The door burst opened at 30,000 feet and a hellish vaccum formed. Dennis, 7, like the diligent boy he was had made sure his seatbelt was always fastened. But Dennis' father was a daredevil, lived always on the edge. He'd gone for a pee and had come back and had not reaffixed his belt. The cruel grasp of a 600mph vortex formed in less than a heartbeat plucked him from his seat and sent him hurtling towards the door. He caught the rim of it, fingernails popping, but the strain was inexorable.

"Nooo!" said little Dennis.

"Dennis!" said Dennis' dad, "Make sick first touches... For life!"

Then he let go.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Heartfelming.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Holy poo poo +1 would read again.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Osvaldo listens to Fleet Foxes and shops at Brooklyn Flea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Thought that was Johnny Depp for a second. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Spurs fans sing a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90TUbQixtsA

• Locked thread