Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

bunnyofdoom posted:

While I do miss cooking, and the adrenaline, and busting my rear end, no way in gently caress could I go back to it. So, all of you in this field, I salute you. If I ever meet any of you, drinks on me.

Kitchen work: slightly more lovely than having cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Tweek posted:

Kitchen work: slightly more lovely than having cancer.

Rather I wouldn't want cancer again from my immune system dying again.

But yeah, same thing really.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Cancer is slow, painful, financially ruinous, and you're likely to end up addicted to pain pills.

Kitchen work is the same, except you're liable to end up addicted to adderal instead.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tweek posted:

Cancer is slow, painful, financially ruinous, and you're likely to end up addicted to pain pills.

Kitchen work is the same, except you're liable to end up addicted to adderal instead.

I'm Canadian. Less financially ruinous. So, um...cancer is better than?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm Canadian. Less financially ruinous. So, um...cancer is better than?

Well if we're completely honest, kitchen work is just as likely to get you addicted to pain pills as well. We should probably cease the comparisons before we end up depressing ourselves.

While we're making ourselves feel bad, however, I absolutely cannot fathom a serious illness not being financially ruinous.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tweek posted:

Well if we're completely honest, kitchen work is just as likely to get you addicted to pain pills as well. We should probably cease the comparisons before we end up depressing ourselves.

While we're making ourselves feel bad, however, I absolutely cannot fathom a serious illness not being financially ruinous.

Universal Health Care is great, as is EI. The EI cheques I got were enough to cover my bills while I was under treatment (rent/food/prescription).

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Universal Health Care is great, as is EI. The EI cheques I got were enough to cover my bills while I was under treatment (rent/food/prescription).

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with EI. Is it anything like having a debilitating, communicable disease, but working the line anyway because you literally can not afford not to work?

That's kind of the system we have in The US.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tweek posted:

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with EI. Is it anything like having a debilitating, communicable disease, but working the line anyway because you literally can not afford not to work?

That's kind of the system we have in The US.

Employment insurance. In case you lose your job from something not quitting. Like a horrible disease.

Of course, until the cancer I did work the line instead of taking a sick day.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Of course, until the cancer I did work the line instead of taking a sick day.

Kitchen work: Even in Canada it loving sucks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tweek posted:

Kitchen work: Even in Canada it loving sucks.

No poo poo. Now, not sure opf the legality of this, but no overtime pay (despite putting in a shitton of OT and having no days off for literally 3 months), no stat holiday pay, etc.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

No poo poo. Now, not sure opf the legality of this, but no overtime pay (despite putting in a shitton of OT and having no days off for literally 3 months), no stat holiday pay, etc.

Very illegal, for the OT part. Depending on what province you were in there can be certain legal ways to get out of paying for stat days with schedule fuckery and the like. Canada can suck sometimes too.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I think we're forgetting something important here. Has anyone sleuthed out bunnyofdoom's real name and home/work address yet? Because I'm pretty sure he said "drinks are on me." a few posts back.

poo poo Got Real at work today, but I feel like we might have turned a corner. After an incident today, my boss finally realized I wasn't exaggerating about how childish and disrespectful the staff was, and has given me carte blanche to "three strikes" anyone for insubordination, no matter how long they've been there. The assistant manager that was a problem is also being moved to another location. That's a mixed blessing because he was really good at the logistical side of things, but he had horrible people skills, the customers hated him, and he resented me because he thought he should have gotten my job, so he would trash talk me to the staff behind my back. In another universe we would have made a great team, but he couldn't accept a subordinate role. Honestly, I don't really blame him, but customer service skill is kind of a dealbreaker in this line of work...

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Wroughtirony posted:

I think we're forgetting something important here. Has anyone sleuthed out bunnyofdoom's real name and home/work address yet? Because I'm pretty sure he said "drinks are on me." a few posts back.

I noticed, but I wasn't gonna try to pressure drinks out of the guy with cancer.

If you're that hard up for a drink, we can get one sometime. I miss my industry gossip since I started a little breather from the kitchen.

You can tell me things about people in their late 20s doing things I won't believe their mamas hadn't smacked out of them by the time they was 4. I can bitch to you about constantly getting, "I e-mailed a guy at corporate." whenever (and to whomever) I inquire about cashing out my vacation pay.

For real though, bunnyofdoom, I ever see you I am calling you out on that drink.
I promise nothing more than the second-cheapest import. :cheeky:

Is someone going to nag poor bunny now o're every new page? That could get carried away.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Chickencheese > bunnyofdoom, 'The Drinks Are On Me': The New Industry Thread

Would make a great new title, though.

Asbestos
Jun 2, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I bought a relatively cheap but comfortable pair of Dr. Scholles brand shoes for my gig, figuring they'd at least last the year, then I could buy another pair. They'd disintegrated before the six month mark. Kitchen work is hell on your shoes. Anyone have any recommendations for a new, longer lasting pair of men's work shoes?

Wolverines or Redwings. Composite toes are best. Buy an anti-stink insole, and throw it on top of what it comes with. Replace it monthly. Rub them down with mink oil every month or so. If you keep the boot appropriately oiled it will last until the soles wear through.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I had 2 pairs of Red Wings split horizontally on the bottom. I would say not worth the price. Crocs are treating me well atm.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

With RedWings, you can wear one pair as your 'dress' show when you need to be fancy. When it wears out to much to look alright paired with black slacks and a suitjacket, they become your kitchen shoes and you buy a new pair to be your dress shoes.

Even if you lose your income, you still have at least an extra year's kitchen shoe on backup.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tweek posted:

I noticed, but I wasn't gonna try to pressure drinks out of the guy with cancer.

For real though, bunnyofdoom, I ever see you I am calling you out on that drink.
I promise nothing more than the second-cheapest import. :cheeky:

Is someone going to nag poor bunny now o're every new page? That could get carried away.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Chickencheese > bunnyofdoom, 'The Drinks Are On Me': The New Industry Thread

Would make a great new title, though.

No worries. I no longer have cancer, and have a job that actually pays me well

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm pretty sure if you look at my post history, you could narrow down what end of Canada I'm in.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tweek posted:

With RedWings, you can wear one pair as your 'dress' show when you need to be fancy. When it wears out to much to look alright paired with black slacks and a suitjacket, they become your kitchen shoes and you buy a new pair to be your dress shoes.

Even if you lose your income, you still have at least an extra year's kitchen shoe on backup.

These shoes are awesome, and they look good too (better/more discreet than Red Wings imo).

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boatswain posted:

These shoes are awesome, and they look good too (better/more discreet than Red Wings imo).

They are pretty much all anyone wears shoe wise in Australian kitchens while I don't have those exact one's I have a pair of Redbacks which are same same but different brand and they haven't been a problem since I got them. Comfy straight away and pretty easy on the feet for those super busy times

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Do love my RedWings as a shoe that can be fashionable as well as a workhorse (first one, then 'tother).
The Oxford style is great for this.
I used to just buy a pair each year at $79.95 and always have a spare, but in recent years the price of leather has gone up. The style I liked Started running $110 and I had to get a cheaper pair that, while just as sturdy, could not serve quite as well as a walk-about shoe.

A little polish, a little pride, they'll keep your puppies smilin' wide!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

My crocs last almost exactly a year and cost half that. I also have very sweat-prone feet and the extra air-flow from the back area is a godsend for me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I had 2 pairs of Red Wings split horizontally on the bottom. I would say not worth the price. Crocs are treating me well atm.

You didn't just take them over to the Redwing store and have them fixed? Those guys are serious about their warranty.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 18, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

And you didn't just take 'em over to the Redwing store and have them fixed? Those guys are serious about their warranty.

The 2nd pair that split were the replacement for the 1st. But the warranty wasn't reset for the 2nd pair, so when those split, they wouldn't replace them.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Thoht posted:

My crocs last almost exactly a year and cost half that.

Downside: you have to be seen wearing crocs.

Liquid Communism posted:

You didn't just take them over to the Redwing store and have them fixed? Those guys are serious about their warranty.

Also free laces for life. They're pretty poo poo laces, and you have to burn them to the correct size, but they're free.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Anyone got good sneakers to recommend? The Scholls shoes I bought, paired WITH scholls inserts, are not going to cut it. I found out I can wear sneakers anyways and if I'm going to be running across a hard surface for 7 hours a day and up and down stairs, then I need some god drat soft strong sneakers.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tweek posted:

Downside: you have to be seen wearing crocs.

Also free laces for life. They're pretty poo poo laces, and you have to burn them to the correct size, but they're free.

If you don't like the regular laces have them put on the braided taslan laces instead. I find them quite a bit nicer and they last longer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
People wear Crocs to work? People wear Crocs?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

bowmore posted:

People wear Crocs to work? People wear Crocs?
When I kitchen'd I had the Shoes for Crews FROGGZ, they were awesome and very comfy. I would never wear them out in public but for slaving away in a rotten pit they're great!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Are any of you guys looking for a line cook position in the Bay Area? My friend needs someone at a brewpub-type-place in SF. PM me if interested.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dear LJ,

I fired two people today. Well, I only actually fired one, the other guy just went ballistic over a 1st write-up for lateness and walked out.

We had a great night anyway, and this was the first Sunday that I ran the entire day without the operations manager (my boss) spending any time at our location.

I need staff.

Anyone have any unemployed friends in northern VA?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Oh, Wroght. The way you describe your place of work, some days I'm tempted to take you up your offers of employ. :allears:

Nah, I'm unemployed by choice for the time being. Do let me know if your need for staff ever gets apocalypse bad, though.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

Oh, Wroght. The way you describe your place of work, some days I'm tempted to take you up your offers of employ. :allears:

Nah, I'm unemployed by choice for the time being. Do let me know if your need for staff ever gets apocalypse bad, though.

If you're capable of working a flexible schedule, showing up for work on time, sober, conscious and in uniform, I will throw in a case of Redbull per week on top of our standard salary package. PM me for your start date.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Went to work today, for the slowest boringest night in a long time. I think I fed 12 people total.

Following that, I came home to find my roommates gun safe had been broken into and emptied out. Nothing else was stolen, not even the hundreds of dollars of stereo equipment that had to be moved before you could even open the gun safe.

I'm not sure if there's a point to that story, except maybe another reason to hate boring nights. It just sucked really badly and I wanted to share.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Whereas my restaurant has been getting hammered all week and we're all practically begging the chef to hire a prep person.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Wroughtirony posted:

If you're capable of working a flexible schedule, showing up for work on time, sober, conscious and in uniform, I will throw in a case of Redbull per week on top of our standard salary package.

If the job requires a case of Redbull/week to do it, it sounds like it's packed full of the kind of stress I left restaurants to avoid.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tweek posted:

If the job requires a case of Redbull/week to do it, it sounds like it's packed full of the kind of stress I left restaurants to avoid.

Okay fine. You drive a hard bargain but I like that. Two 5ths of the liquor of your choice (<$30/bottle) but you work 5 doubles a week.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Ha, what a deal!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thoht posted:

Whereas my restaurant has been getting hammered all week and we're all practically begging the chef to hire a prep person.

Opposite here, the only thing that left the bakery today was the scheduled wholesale breakfast orders, we didn't have a single retail customer or dessert order going out all day.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Wroughtirony posted:

Okay fine. You drive a hard bargain but I like that. Two 5ths of the liquor of your choice (<$30/bottle) but you work 5 doubles a week.

I'm in but I want 5 of them and I get to nurse one a day while I work. When I drink, I sing, so you will need an alto and two tenors to cover my mistakes. If you want more than 5 days I want a fancy bottle and a tin of sardines on Saturdays. Does the health package have a liver & kidney rider? I like Sambuca, hopefully you can find multiple colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I'm in but I want 5 of them and I get to nurse one a day while I work. When I drink, I sing, so you will need an alto and two tenors to cover my mistakes. If you want more than 5 days I want a fancy bottle and a tin of sardines on Saturdays. Does the health package have a liver & kidney rider? I like Sambuca, hopefully you can find multiple colors.

I'm a soprano, and I just had to fire my baritone for compulsive lateness. Otherwise, we would have a deal, considering the restaurant I work at is owned and operated by two Greek families. I don't really want to ask them about the kidney and liver situation, but I imagine if you were a reliable enough employee, arrangements could be made depending on the blood types of the employees I have to fire next week.

• Locked thread