Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Well, as someone else in this thread said... what if they then just made it a 70 hour "not mother" game with that quality spritework?

They're hopefully not straight up putting Ness and stuff in there
They actually said they'd do exactly that in the FAQ on the old site. They'd just rebrand it as something else, probably with an insignificant amount of changes.

Not like you can put a trademark on psychokinesis. Although I wonder if there's something for the rolling HP/PP display.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So it's a few days after 8/11 - has anyone received their Mother 3 Translation carts yet? Did anyone even order one? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I'm wary about the quality.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Ryoshi posted:

So it's a few days after 8/11 - has anyone received their Mother 3 Translation carts yet? Did anyone even order one? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I'm wary about the quality.

Dunno where you are talking about, but I got one from OCD Reproductions that fits exactly snug into the DS Lite GBA slot. Do you still have the GBA slot cover? Yeah, it's that.

And it works great! Only $35.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Wait, Mother 4 site says Winter 2014. January 2014 counts as Winter. Checkmate :smug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm not convinced that the weak stat gains in the US version of 7th Saga aren't a terrible bug or something; it seems bizarre that in the era when Square associated North Americans with stupidity and Enix wasn't releasing Dragon Quest here at all, a team working on an RPG would decide that the problem with the North American version of their game is that it wasn't difficult enough.

I bet it was intentional. That game came out in the era where people started trying to make games much more difficult in the US to discourage rentals as a profitable business model. A hilariously anti-consumer mindset that has made many a north american release unplayably difficult.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lurdiak posted:

I bet it was intentional. That game came out in the era where people started trying to make games much more difficult in the US to discourage rentals as a profitable business model. A hilariously anti-consumer mindset that has made many a north american release unplayably difficult.

This had been going on for a long time though, lots of arcade games from Japan as an example, the default US settings are significantly more challenging than the Japanese counterpart (many Konami games from the late eighties and up are like this as an example both in the arcades and at home). Mystic Quest and US FFIV being easier are weird exceptions rather than the rule (try out the US versions of the Exile series, holy crap), a "rule" which only came to be because of the popularity of the FF series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

Dunno where you are talking about, but I got one from OCD Reproductions that fits exactly snug into the DS Lite GBA slot. Do you still have the GBA slot cover? Yeah, it's that.

And it works great! Only $35.

Hmmm...the one I'm looking at is the full-size replica from Retroquest, which is $55. I don't know how I feel about getting a mini-cart version, but at that price I guess it's worth looking into.

How does yours handle the music combo timing? I played it for a while on a friend's flashcart when the translation first came out and even on a DS Lite the timing was just a liiiiittle bit off. Between that and a strange bug where the game would freeze if your first character took exactly 17 damage, I quit a couple of chapters in.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Hmmm...the one I'm looking at is the full-size replica from Retroquest, which is $55. I don't know how I feel about getting a mini-cart version, but at that price I guess it's worth looking into.

How does yours handle the music combo timing? I played it for a while on a friend's flashcart when the translation first came out and even on a DS Lite the timing was just a liiiiittle bit off. Between that and a strange bug where the game would freeze if your first character took exactly 17 damage, I quit a couple of chapters in.

I've not seen the 17 damage error, but I've been playing it for three hours now and seen no issues with any music combo lag.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And re: Mother 4, have they secured any kind of go-ahead from anybody in an official or semi-official capacity at Nintendo? Because I was under the impression that they're one of the most draconian companies about protecting their IP, and I'd hate to see somebody make a 70 hour Mother game with that quality of spritework and poo poo for nothing.

Nintendo doesn't really care about most fan projects that much. They've pretty much ignored Zelda Classic, a literal "make your own Zelda game" engine with countless Zelda fangames made with it.

Fan projects are typically have a blind eye turned to them even if they do violate copyright because, well, they're being made by fans so going after them is literally attacking your fanbase and is just a bad PR move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most companies will only go after fan projects if the fans are in some fashion attempting to make a profit off it. A lot of the most infamous shutdowns came after it became clear that someone on the staff was attempting to profit off it in some fashion. As long as the M4 guys don't actually try to sell it or as long as Nintendo isn't actively planning Mother 4 (and thus doesn't want their own product confused with a fan project) it should be fine.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The group has also stated that in the event that they do get a C&D they're just gonna file all the serial numbers off and release it under a different title.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

I've not seen the 17 damage error, but I've been playing it for three hours now and seen no issues with any music combo lag.

Welp, OCD Reproductions is sold out of their version anyway. I guess that answers that question.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Nintendo doesn't really care about most fan projects that much. They've pretty much ignored Zelda Classic, a literal "make your own Zelda game" engine with countless Zelda fangames made with it.

Fan projects are typically have a blind eye turned to them even if they do violate copyright because, well, they're being made by fans so going after them is literally attacking your fanbase and is just a bad PR move.

Unless your fangame is really awesome and nearly released and Sega happen to be huge dicks. :mad:

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Welp, OCD Reproductions is sold out of their version anyway. I guess that answers that question.

It'll be back. There's been times when I bought a game to flip and once my order went through the game was off their inventory. As I said, he seems to be a one-man shop.

And yes, I know it's probably just a flash cart with some fancy stuff on/in it, but for the price it's definitely worth it (for me).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So. Um.

First time against Kraken, used Flash Beta. He instantly died.

I'm not sure anyone will believe me. I don't believe me right now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Srice posted:

As long as they make it clear that they're not profiting from the game, it should be fine.

The fan projects that get shut down tend to have some sort of profit element to them (for example, that 3D Chrono Trigger game from many years ago got shut down because they were planning to use it as a tech demo to show off the engine they made, and IIRC they were either gonna use it for their own games or license out the engine. One of the two. I forget which).

Actually, wasn't that the one where the guy faked the C&D letter so he could stop working on the game? Or was that some other Chrono Trigger fan project?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Actually, wasn't that the one where the guy faked the C&D letter so he could stop working on the game? Or was that some other Chrono Trigger fan project?

That was a different project. The 3D Chrono Trigger was indeed being used as a tech demo/a thing they were using to market their own stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Different one. That one was just a rom hack and they wanted to abandon it in style, I guess. Pretty dang unlikely that any company would go after a rom hack so that was always suspect.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Thanks to this thread I'm playing through Earthbound again.

Jesus gently caress I have no idea how I ever made it through the entire game without frameskip. I'm basically cruising through at 8x speed and some parts still feel slow as poo poo.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ETB posted:

So. Um.

First time against Kraken, used Flash Beta. He instantly died.

I'm not sure anyone will believe me. I don't believe me right now.

Actually, it was the Captain's slippers that hit him in a critical spot.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Blackheart posted:

I knew it, it was too good to be true. The battle was literally...

Jeff used Spy.
Paula used Freeze b.
Ness used Flash b.
Captain used Stinky Slippers.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I can't quite tell if you're joking or not. :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That was a different project. The 3D Chrono Trigger was indeed being used as a tech demo/a thing they were using to market their own stuff.

There was also that one Goldeneye remake that someone either faked a C&D or a suicide to get out of...

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Sockser posted:

Thanks to this thread I'm playing through Earthbound again.

Jesus gently caress I have no idea how I ever made it through the entire game without frameskip. I'm basically cruising through at 8x speed and some parts still feel slow as poo poo.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
There's at least one completed Earthbound fangame: Cognitive Dissonance, which takes place between Mother 1 (the Earthbound Zero prototype, not the Tomato retranslation/relocalization) and 2 (Earthbound).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerJ posted:

Mother 1 (the Earthbound Zero prototype, not the Tomato retranslation/relocalization)

:confused: Are there major differences?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ETB posted:

I knew it, it was too good to be true. The battle was literally...

Jeff used Spy.
Paula used Freeze b.
Ness used Flash b.
Captain used Stinky Slippers.

Ha ha ha no, he's loving with you.

Flash Beta has a chance of instant death. You rolled good.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Spiffo posted:

Can't you at least give the sailor SOME credit?

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Cicero posted:

Mother 4 fangame site back up!

http://www.mother4game.com/

The spritework is of an incredible quality.

God...drat..

Anyway besides that, I just finished this on my Wii U. Good lord, it kicked rear end. What surprises me is the fact that the game was only 25 hours long. It's pretty short....

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spiffo posted:

I would have preferred saving that roll for a 1/128 roll...

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

The spritework is of an incredible quality.

God...drat..

Anyway besides that, I just finished this on my Wii U. Good lord, it kicked rear end. What surprises me is the fact that the game was only 25 hours long. It's pretty short....

It's even worse for us that have played through it about a dozen times. It's cut to less than 20 hours :(

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.
I just got to Threed and am getting my rear end kicked. Taking a look at the Player's Guide, it seems that I completely skipped the second sanctuary. Oops.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Vrikkian posted:

It's even worse for us that have played through it about a dozen times. It's cut to less than 20 hours :(

When I was a kid it felt like an eternity's worth of gameplay.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When the decision was made to cancel the original version of Mother 3, Itoi, Iwata and Miyamoto participated in an interview for Hobonichi to discuss why the game was cancelled, why they weren't able to finish it and how they'd managed to spend so much time working on it. It's quite long and they don't go into the contents of the game in great detail, but it's worth checking out:

http://yomuka.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/earthbound-64-cancellation-interview-itoi-miyamoto-iwata/

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Lurdiak posted:

:confused: Are there major differences?

Tomato can say it best. Connections with the Morther 2/Earthbound localization and Tomato's Mother 3 translation are kept, though I don't know which ones (for example, I don't know if the XX mark introduced in the Earthbound Zero localization was added - it's also featured in Cognitive Dissonance).

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 19, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I just got to Threed and am getting my rear end kicked. Taking a look at the Player's Guide, it seems that I completely skipped the second sanctuary. Oops.
Even worse news for you: you can't go back to the Peaceful Rest Valley until after you beat Master Belch and Trillionage Sprout. It's a common but also fatal mistake that first-time players make.

Warning: I'm about to wax philosophical on some issues here so I hope that I don't derail the thread.

Here are a couple of articles on the Mother series. The first one is filled with some great insights on Mother, while the second one is a more or less a screed about Mother 3 and, among other things, its presentation of queerness- with a cursory review of Earthbound/Mother 2's themes (read: an expansion on Mother's themes).

I'm not a big fan of the latter article. Granted, it is written from the perspective of a queer trans woman, and as a cis straight male I can't even pretend to know the perspective that she's coming from regarding queerness. Even so, there are more themes that are explored in Mother 3, the main one being the rejection of the consumerism that is prevalent in the first two games of the series. Give them both a read, though.

http://nightmaremode.net/2012/11/childhood-women-and-heterosexuality-a-critique-of-mother-23310/
http://xmaslemmings.tumblr.com/post/58675845331/the-cave-of-the-past-and-mother-2-and-mother-3

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

When the decision was made to cancel the original version of Mother 3, Itoi, Iwata and Miyamoto participated in an interview for Hobonichi to discuss why the game was cancelled, why they weren't able to finish it and how they'd managed to spend so much time working on it. It's quite long and they don't go into the contents of the game in great detail, but it's worth checking out:

http://yomuka.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/earthbound-64-cancellation-interview-itoi-miyamoto-iwata/

What a fantastic interview. I've seen prerelease footage of Earthbound 64 and played through Mother 3, but it sounds like this game's development was difficult. What kind of game would Earthbound's sequel have been if they had taken the 64 title and just ported it to the GameCube?

I wasn't exceptionally thrilled with Mother 3 like I am with Earthbound, but it was a solid game nonetheless. I wonder what Earthbound 64 GameCube would have been like!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BiggerJ posted:

Tomato can say it best. Connections with the Morther 2/Earthbound localization and Tomato's Mother 3 translation are kept, though I don't know which ones (for example, I don't know if the XX mark introduced in the Earthbound Zero localization was added).

Aw, man, a GBA rom? Wacky variable emulation speeds, ugly-rear end frame skipping and lovely audio stuttering ahoy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Y-Hat posted:

Here are a couple of articles on the Mother series. The first one is filled with some great insights on Mother, while the second one is a more or less a screed about Mother 3 and, among other things, its presentation of queerness- with a cursory review of Earthbound/Mother 2's themes (read: an expansion on Mother's themes).

It's understandable that anyone who feels marginalized by or at a dissonance with the world around them would find a large resonance with the Mother games. To a large extent the Mother worlds are not quite right, but particularly in Mother 2 this starts off as just little oddities that people would get a chuckle out of (digging in garbage cans and beating up on both sides of the law because they're in your goddamn way at the time in Onett), to full on uncanny valley discomfort that touches a lot of primal fears that have been domesticated (basically the entirety of Fourside - crooked businesses/authority figures, the city literally having two faces, being separated from friends in a strange place, list goes on and loving on). This mimics the experiences of anyone who's felt like an outcast for whatever reason. Mother 3 does many of the same things. It starts off a little weird to see boys playing with loving t-rexes by running into their bellies. It's straight up really uncomfortable to see this idyllic but rustic place get changed by Fassad - the uncanny valley can really start to kick in when you start realizing that all the named villagers barely regard Lucas anymore, or Wess/Alec are living in a leaky pigsty because nobody really cares about old people anymore, or whatever.

I can feel why she would latch onto a portrayal of her social sphere like the magypsies, but this is definitely a classic case of missing the forest for the trees. They're guardians of the macguffins, they're supposed to be wizened old wizards or big-titted women or barrel-chested dudes by our norms. But the world isn't quite right, so they're...well, the magypsies. There isn't really a word for them. But yeah, if you feel like the world you live in isn't quite right, yes, you're going to find a resonance with it and yes it's going to speak to you. That doesn't mean that the game is making a treatise on capitalism and the inversion of player roles and stereotypes in gaming or whatever the gently caress else. If that's what you came away with cool, the beauty of things like games is that two people can have two totally different subjective experiences and they can both be just as right and grow just as much. But by the same token, neither one of these experiences are the One True Truth and whenever someone puts in so many :words: explaining their evaluation of a subjective experience like it's authoritative, it's no wonder they come off like kind of a d-bag.

The audacious thing Mother games did - and why so many people remember them fondly - is precisely because they echoed a common theme people feel. The world isn't quite right. It's not perfect. And it's okay to not be comfortable with that. You will make it persevere and conquer anyway. Trying to cram that into a quite frankly half-cocked analysis of how Porky is the player in his revelry in capitalism's excesses is ignoring pretty much every experience except your own. I got counted off for that poo poo when I pulled it in 8th grade so I certainly wouldn't fault a reader for taking off points now. If you wanted to make it into a "my reactions" article that'd be one thing, but that is not how that second article is written.

The first article does a way better job of explaining this - he just uses way more concrete examples and he never really sums up things in a nice theory on the theme, unless I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Coolguye posted:

:words:

I can feel why she would latch onto a portrayal of her social sphere like the magypsies, but this is definitely a classic case of missing the forest for the trees. They're guardians of the macguffins, they're supposed to be wizened old wizards or big-titted women or barrel-chested dudes by our norms. But the world isn't quite right, so they're...well, the magypsies.

And suddenly it all made sense.

• Locked thread