Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I tried Richard Burns Rally recently and it's really really difficult. Just racing a few courses I've flown my car off a bridge or hit a tree and astounding number of times. I don't think I would make a very good rally driver. I installed the mod addon thing so maybe I can find a slower car to try if I can decipher the Frenglish.

It's too bad nobody has made a modern rally racing game with the narrow courses and dropoffs and tire ruts and all, I had fun with Dirt 2 but it's not really the same thing.

As far as I know, RBR is still the only hardcore rally simulator.

I'm also horrible at it, but that doesn't stop it from being extremely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought WRC3 and tried it out. It was terrible. Aside from the fact that you can't use the mouse at all in a PC game, the game doesn't like fanatecs. With my pedals piggy backed on my wheel, it was using the gas pedal or something for up and down in the menus. In order to do anything, I had to hold the gas half way to get it stable. I plugged them in via USB and was able to use the menus again but it was a waste because the actual cars handle like garbage. I wanted something I could blast through corners but the cars it starts with don't have enough power to break traction and trying to ebrake through corners, even slowly, ended with me just understeering into a wall. Luckily they have a 7 day money back guarantee.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Richard Burns Rally is the best rally game ever made, with Rallisport Challenge 2 being a close second.

RBR feels a lot like Forza's driving feel does (closer to 2 than 4), it's obviously much tougher and the opponents are brutal, but the way the cars feel with a Fanatec CSR-E is very similar.

It's easy to get into the habit of overdriving, but the key in RBR is to drive the car cleanly and then the speed comes with it. Otherwise you will crash every 45 feet if you push too hard.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

I bought WRC3 and tried it out. It was terrible. Aside from the fact that you can't use the mouse at all in a PC game, the game doesn't like fanatecs. With my pedals piggy backed on my wheel, it was using the gas pedal or something for up and down in the menus. In order to do anything, I had to hold the gas half way to get it stable. I plugged them in via USB and was able to use the menus again but it was a waste because the actual cars handle like garbage. I wanted something I could blast through corners but the cars it starts with don't have enough power to break traction and trying to ebrake through corners, even slowly, ended with me just understeering into a wall. Luckily they have a 7 day money back guarantee.

It works quite well with the fanatec in Logitech/ps3 mode. I pretty much never have mine in fanatec mode while hooked up to the pc anymore.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's easy to get into the habit of overdriving, but the key in RBR is to drive the car cleanly and then the speed comes with it. Otherwise you will crash every 45 feet if you push too hard.

I've actually had the best luck using a lot of small sharp steering inputs instead of smooth ones like I've done in road racing games, it seems to keep the car pointed in the right direction more consistently. I'm still not sure about the handbrake, I figured it should be useful for something but I've only managed to successfully pull off a handbrake slide through a 90 degree or hairpin turn a few times.

My biggest problems are suddenly flying off the road on high speed straight sections and also those stupid bridges that send you into a ditch if you slide off too far

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F1 2013 is going to be about racing in the 1980s and 90s. That is a pretty cool premise, it's just to bad that for Codemasters it's to late for me to give a poo poo; the last 3 F1 games from them have been awful so i'm done with their franchise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sort of. It's mostly about the 2013 season and then there's DLC that lets you drive older cars. I'm going to guess the cars will have the exact same on rails handling that the rest of their game has. F1 2012 was barely worth the 10 dollars I just spent on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Project Cars has those F1 cars anyways. Also, I got my DFGT back so I can finally play racing sims on my PC again. Going to subscribe to iRacing again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Also worth noting Codemasters have only shown us one of the classic cars and it's the least interesting Williams of the entire 1980s, the 1988 Williams-Judd as opposed to any of the championship winning Fords and Hondas of that decade or even the first Williams-Renault.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's just taste, I actually think the '88 Williams is a lot more interesting than the dominant cars like the '88 McLaren or the '92 Williams that everyone already knows about,

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Video of Greger Huttu driving the Lotus 49 at Mosport on GPL & iracing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzjhrcUqrE

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
A game I've really been looking forward to has finally hit the alpha stage.

It's called BeamNG DRIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77cThD4vj8

It's main claim to fame is it has an entire car soft-body phyics. Which mean that every panel of a car actually can deform like a real car can, which means you can do some amazing things when you crash it.

Right now the alpha comes with about 5-6 tracks and 4 or 5 cars. One of which is a sports car that can haul rear end. There's also a level with a bunch of things built into it to make you crash in amazing ways.

The following videos are my attempt to record myself hitting it after I had hit it once without any video and saw an amazing crash.

Attempt #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLfKGVP-Xs
Close but not quite, but you can see just how every piece of the car is modeled in the soft body physics and how it changes things.

Attmept #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HarVajIGWJs
Kiiinda got there, but not quite.

Attempt #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4E7KxGq-Hw
Nailed it!

It really is amazing feeling at this stage, though they do need to do a lot of tweaking to make it more of a racing game and not so much a crash simulator, but I believe they're working on it. Plus they give lots of documentation on how to create new vehicles and levels already so I'm pretty excited for what is going to become of this game.

Right now the alpha costs $15 and I highly suggest anyone who likes car games and also spectacular crashes check them out.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Oh man I've been looking forward to updates on that game, had no idea it was close to alpha though! Going to pick it up soon I think, except I don't know if I can take the emotional strain of playing more than one racing game in alpha at the same time, waiting for updates for both before they become proper fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I tried out the tech demo, and it was pretty fun aside from the lack of control options. Having the camera controls being inverted from what I'm used to made it impossible to get the camera where I want it. Camera control in general was horrendous, but the game is pretty fun aside from that.

Edit: Does anyone know if it works with a wheel or not?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 4, 2013

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

It's like the Garry's Mod of driving games :allears:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't think that's a driving or racing sim (yet?), but it looks fun to crash.

Like you said, I hope it turns into something more like a sim. Actually, I hope that technology is implemented in a more appropriate genre. The crashing part is kind of incidental to the driving part of driving simulators.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I tried out the tech demo, and it was pretty fun aside from the lack of control options. Having the camera controls being inverted from what I'm used to made it impossible to get the camera where I want it. Camera control in general was horrendous, but the game is pretty fun aside from that.

Edit: Does anyone know if it works with a wheel or not?
I'll agree camera control was a bit wonky, but I'm getting better with it and hope it can be tweaked as they update it.

There are input options that let you use wheels so I know it's possible, just not how well they work.

An Enormous Boner posted:

I don't think that's a driving or racing sim (yet?), but it looks fun to crash.

Like you said, I hope it turns into something more like a sim. Actually, I hope that technology is implemented in a more appropriate genre. The crashing part is kind of incidental to the driving part of driving simulators.
To me it's always been that games haven't ever done it right but I believe with the model they're going with if they build the cars correctly then the underlying physics take car of any driving model.

Which I'll admit right now leads the sports car to be easy as pie to spin out simply because it doesn't weigh that much so the tires traction seems to be nebulous at best.

That said it really does look pretty since it's basically running on the CryEngine from Crytek.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
All depends on what you want to do. If it's realistic driving/racing physics, doing a softbody simulation isn't enough. I'd wager the suspension in it is a simple spring, tires are probably nothing special either. Modern racing sims spend considerable CPU on simulating whole suspension geometries and multivalve dampers, as well feature highly complex tire and contact patch simulations. The advantage BeamNG has is chassis flex, something with racesims have not bothered simulating yet, which is think would still be worthwhile on non-F1 cars.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Yeah I guess that's true, they do have some interesting tire modeling because you can get different tire thickness where ones with thinner tires will get punctured going over some of the environment objects and others won't.

Believe the pipeline also has them wanting to do MP of some sort, which would be great because I don't know how many hours I lost to 1nsane back in the day with a group of friends when all we'd do was crash our vehicles to see how smashed up we could get them and still drive them around.

edit: I also like they're really open to modders and some people have already created some interesting cars and maps for people to drive on.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

There were some old dev posts for Project CARS where they talked about experimenting with chassis flex but didn't want the extra complications to the physics model while trying to get the tire and suspension models to behave properly. Although that's caused problems with simulating karts on the more accurate tire models since the chassis is the suspension. :)

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 5, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

real_scud posted:

That said it really does look pretty since it's basically running on the CryEngine from Crytek.

Acctually they moved away from the CryEngine a year or so ago. This is now running on the Torque3D engine... which surprised me when I found out.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

tehsid posted:

Acctually they moved away from the CryEngine a year or so ago. This is now running on the Torque3D engine... which surprised me when I found out.
I thought the Torque3D stuff was only for level creation, but interesting, it still looks pretty when everything is cranked up.

Also I didn't realize it until yesterday but you can do on-the-fly map editing/creation. I still haven't totally figured it out but there are a bunch of Torque3D tutorials that tell you how to create things like roads and whatnot.

I also had fun yesterday using their Parts Editor which lets you remove/modify parts on the car while in the game. So I removed the doors on the car, gave it a different roll bar and then for shits and giggles removed the shocks from their little hatchback. The hella flush crew would've been so proud cause goddamn was the car slammed.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Finally, the Destruction Derby we've been waiting for since 1995 is a possibility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got my monoprice order today and I'm back in business.

HDMI cable and a USB cable going across my living room to my TV.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Netkar Pro is currently 3.99 euro and there's literally no reason not to get it if you don't have it already. Tooling around the hillclimb track in the Osella is so much fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Owning netkar pro gets you the assetto corsa alpha.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

Owning netkar pro gets you the assetto corsa alpha.

Which is the only reason I have it at the moment. I should see if NetKar is any good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

any idea how long this will go on?
Also any idea on how well it works on older hardware? I meet the minimum requirements..
I have a laptop with Nvidia 512 card, an intel dual core 2.3ghz processor.. as well as 2gb ram.
but not sure how well it works..
Race07 works well on it.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Does anyone into Project CARS have any favorites cars right now? I just discovered the Zakspeed Capri and holy crow this is the best feeling car in the entire game in terms of FFB. I could actually push it around Bathurst without totally loving it up unlike the E30 M3 which has always been ridiculously broken.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love the Capri and the various open wheel cars.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The Capri and also stuff like the Gumpert Apollo and BAC Mono.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haven't been playing much lately, but if, then I'm dicking around with the M3 GT or the R500.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I wish I had gotten into PC racing early enough to get into the pCARS beta... it looks like a great change of pace from rFactor 2 and Race07.

Now that I'm done with school and moved to a new place, I can finally start looking into building a rig for my Fanatec CSR. I have a general idea on what I want to build, but I'm not quite sure how I want to go about the design process. I plan on using 5-ply 1/2" wood (the same that i use for speaker cabinets) and 2x4's. Is there any design or building advice from those of you who have built stands for your wheels and pedals?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does Project CARS on Steam ever update? I don't think i've ever noticed it update once even though for my account its suppose to once a week.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Team members get daily updates since two weeks or so. Make sure you've selected the proper membership in the beta properties page in Steam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Team members get daily updates since two weeks or so. Make sure you've selected the proper membership in the beta properties page in Steam.

Okay wow, i'm sure that was explained on the PCARS forums and I didn't see it. Thank you so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You probably just don't notice. It does. Did you change your subscription status in The beta menu? It defaults to the monthly one, you have to pick yours.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don't get used to the daily updates, tho. They're just happening because the physics guys are tweaking tires all day long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish I had more time for pcars, but I've been trying to get better at iracing. It's definitely one of the best driving sims out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You probably just don't notice. It does. Did you change your subscription status in The beta menu? It defaults to the monthly one, you have to pick yours.

I didn't have the correct subscription. So I really was not getting updates.

• Locked thread