Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Power Station is still my fave, followed by Faraway Morning and Residential. I like seeing the other kids and their interactions and worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

The best chapter is the current one, until the next chapter is posted in which case that will be the best one, and so on down the line.

The best chapter is whatever chapter I happen to be reading at the time.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Power Station is still my fave, followed by Faraway Morning and Residential. I like seeing the other kids and their interactions and worldbuilding.

Residential has been my go-to chapter for pointing newcomers at something that gives a good picture of where the art is headed but is reasonably standalone and doesn't spoil the main plotlines.

I'd have to reread everything (yet again) to even attempt to pick a favorite chapter... so much good stuff in GC.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This conversation has been going on for far too long without anyone mentioning Sky Watcher and the Angel.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

This conversation has been going on for far too long without anyone mentioning Sky Watcher and the Angel.

Also Fire Spike. One of my favorites.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Also Fire Spike. One of my favorites.

Fire Spike was really good but I have a hard time saying it's among my favorites because this page was a hell of a spot to catch up on when my first time reading GKC was binging through it up to that point.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Um, excuse me, obviously the city face chapters are the best. Gosh!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Broken Knees Club posted:

Every chapter is the best chapter.

Eh, that's still pretty subjective.

I'll never really understand what people see in chapters like The Stone and Divine, for instance. Those two chapters alone were enough to convince me to put the comic down for a good, long time.

But then I came back because, hey, it's still pretty incredible in spite of its flaws.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While it's impossible to name the best chapter, I'm fond of The Fangs of Summertime which is pretty much when the comic stops being good and becomes Great. Introducing Coyote (among several other major characters) doesn't hurt.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

Um, excuse me, obviously the city face chapters are the best. Gosh!
This is the objective truth, get it together people?

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Picking a favorite chapter is hard, but picking a least favorite is easy...Red Gets a Name. Am I the only one that finds Red's "hey look at me I'm so random and annoying" deal really tiring, really quickly?

(avatar fairy please don't hit me with a fairy avatar for this blasphemy :ohdear: )

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Machado de Assis posted:

Picking a favorite chapter is hard, but picking a least favorite is easy...Red Gets a Name. Am I the only one that finds Red's "hey look at me I'm so random and annoying" deal really tiring, really quickly?

(avatar fairy please don't hit me with a fairy avatar for this blasphemy :ohdear: )
You just gotta open your mind to the fairy culture, man. They spend their whole lives learning the best techniques for being stupid jabronis.

Personally I don't know how anyone could call the first or second chapters their favorite. The narrative, Annie looking like a Bratz doll and acting like a mysterious-smart-quiet-loner girl, and the cliche-feeling "oh the minotaur is nice" twist just overall gave me a very misleading impression that it was a generic webcomic, and I only kept reading it out of curiosity. I think a few stylistic changes would make them at least enticing to new readers, but redrawing the art would be a chore what with Tom having a pretty unrelenting schedule already.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Sky Watcher and the Angel. It manages to capture both the comic and tragic aspects of the comic, as well as hitting on some of the major themes in a really profound way. That chapter has BOTH Robot King Angry Eyebrows and Jeanne's murder in it.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Recently, I found myself missing the old angular head designs. I found the early art different and interesting, along with the weird atmosphere and setting. I started reading early on, around Fangs of Summertime, I think? While the art has certainly improved, I get a bit annoyed when people emphasize it, as if it was bad in the beginning. I don't think it was, and I occasionally miss some of the old stylistic quirks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Machado de Assis posted:

She's not random, her personality is quite consistent.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Quite consistently a big jabroni.

Hexlotl
Nov 6, 2012
I love "The Fangs of Summertime" too because it's the point where I got totally hooked. I was pretty much on board by "Broken Glass and Other Things," but "Fangs" cemented it.

Which was unfortunate, because at the time that I was catching up, the most recent page was for the title of the following chapter, "Red Returns."

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Yyyyeah, she's not random at all. I know goons in general tend to shun things like "anime" and "lolrandom" on principle, but at least the second can be funny on occasion, when it's done well. But that's not here nor there since Red wouldn't qualify for "lolrandom" humor.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Eh, that's still pretty subjective.

I'll never really understand what people see in chapters like The Stone and Divine, for instance. Those two chapters alone were enough to convince me to put the comic down for a good, long time.

But then I came back because, hey, it's still pretty incredible in spite of its flaws.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about them? I get that some readers were a bit bored with The Stone since maybe it was too slow for their liking.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

In what respect is Red random? Her personality is "the rudest fairy".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In what respect is Red random? Her personality is "the rudest fairy".

She's got a lovely, loud and annoying personality, which is similar to some people who are "lolsorandom".

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

yeah, after a bit of thought "random" isn't really how I'd define Red, but it's what I had in mind comparing her to Ed from Cowboy Bebop, a character who seems to have undergone a very similar thought process during creation (can only have one single attribute/state of mind, but to make up for it will constantly remind everyone of it at every opportunity).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SHISHKABOB posted:

She's got a lovely, loud and annoying personality, which is similar to some people who are "lolsorandom".
But she's not lolsorandom in the slightest. She's extremely self absorbed and has poor impulse control but her actual actions are fully internally consistent and make perfect sense (when you have all the relevant information).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^What he said. ^^^

To me, Red is just a huge jerk. Once you get used to Fairy culture(nicknames for everyone, the random pre-reqs for being friends with people, etc.), you realize that she's only really out for herself and her interests.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

But she's not lolsorandom in the slightest. She's extremely self absorbed and has poor impulse control but her actual actions are fully internally consistent and make perfect sense (when you have all the relevant information).

I think that the guy who said "random" at first was simply saying it in a reactionary way, because of the fact that she's got a super annoying personality. "lolsorandom" people often have super annoying personalities. I don't think anyone sincerely believes that she is a "lolsorandom" person.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The worst chapters are the ones with doctor whosits and his hologram adventures. I find them so boring and pointless. Although I always get tricked because halfway through one of them there's some good Annie/Parley/Smith/Jones stuff

Any chapter with Coyote is great, but I think my favorite is the first time Annie visits him in the forest. He's such a great character.

I don't know how someone can not like The Stone though :psyduck: We finally get some sort of explanation for Jones and we get to see every part of history that she was there for. She was even there for the creation of the earth, that's nuts. We basically know everything about her besides what she is specifically. An alien of some kind? A golem from another planet? I thought that was a pretty awesome chapter. Though I suppose I could see how it'd feel long reading update to update, because I hated the most recent chapter, Quicksilver because I hated Hetty and we had to deal with her for weeks. Rereading it now it's a lot easier to deal with.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I've actually reread the Jones chapter a few times - it just never gets old. I guess I would call it my favourite, but I find it really hard to pinpoint what chapter is my exact favourite.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MikeJF posted:

That's a really funny way of spelling 'Give and Take'.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Splicer posted:

And it's not even just Red, it's ALL faeries.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Macaluso posted:

The worst chapters are the ones with doctor whosits and his hologram adventures. I find them so boring and pointless. Although I always get tricked because halfway through one of them there's some good Annie/Parley/Smith/Jones stuff

Isn't there only like, two of those? And the one is mostly the Annie/Parley/Smitty/Jones stuff like you said and the other is about Annie coming out of her shell really for the first time, so not too pointless I think. I guess I just don't understand your point of view here but whatever diff' strokes and all.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

Isn't there only like, two of those? And the one is mostly the Annie/Parley/Smitty/Jones stuff like you said and the other is about Annie coming out of her shell really for the first time, so not too pointless I think. I guess I just don't understand your point of view here but whatever diff' strokes and all.

In the second one, Smits ruins the hologram adventure in two pages, so even if you are a big Doctor Disaster hater (this boggles my mind!), that gets it out of the way quickly, and on to a pretty spectacular chapter.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is the objective truth, get it together people?

100 hogs agree with me!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Kheldragar posted:

I've actually reread the Jones chapter a few times - it just never gets old.

Much like Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Red is a faerie, and not a Disney one. Her mindset is alien to us. She appears rude and whimsical, but it's just that her cultural outlook, thought patterns, and even Maslow pyramid is different from ours. Once you know how she works, she's extremely consistent.

Also Doctor Disaster is the best.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cat Mattress posted:

Also Doctor Disaster is the best.
Speaking of Dr. Disaster, after "The Stone", I started to wonder if the doc knew about what Jones is exactly. Then I realized that wooing an indestructible, unchanging being that has existed since the formation of the Earth is exactly the kind of thing you'd see in those pulpy 50's movies the doc loves so much.

"It is said that true love is eternal, and in tonight's feature, the dashing Dr. Disaster intends to test the very limits of that cherished notion. Gunnerkrigg Studios proudly presents... Forever Yours!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
All these posts and not one mention of The Coward Heart? Goons, I'm disappointed in you.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A Ghost Story had a wonderful ending and it was the first time we ever got to see Surma properly. Also, Young Annie is adorable, Kat looks great tanned and the first page has a nice shade of green.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Cat Mattress posted:

Red is a faerie, and not a Disney one. Her mindset is alien to us. She appears rude and whimsical, but it's just that her cultural outlook, thought patterns, and even Maslow pyramid is different from ours. Once you know how she works, she's extremely consistent.

Yeah, fairies got whitewashed to hell and back by Disney. They were colossal assholes in folklore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Mattress posted:

Maslow pyramid
It never occurred to me to try to design alien outlooks by rearranging the Maslow pyramid. That's a pretty great idea.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Yeah, fairies got whitewashed to hell and back by Disney. They were colossal assholes in folklore.

Tinkerbell was originally an enormous rear end in a top hat in Peter Pan, it's just in all subsequent merchandise that her character was totally Disneyfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah, isn't telling the Lost Boys to murder Wendy the first thing Tink does when they get to Neverland? As well as literally telling Captain Hook where to find Peter in a fit of jealousy?

Tinkerbell is a dick and Peter only hangs out with her because her hair goes up.