Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac
Not My Goodies – Chinese hook swords are well outside my area of expertise. A quick wiki-search tells me they were purely civilian rather than military weapons (never mentioned in military records, though records rarely refer to swordsmen and sometimes men are listed as just having ‘swords’ without clarifying what style of sword).

I have never come across asymmetrical bows outside of Japan, my guess is the reason for it is that recurve bows accomplished more or less the same thing elsewhere. Why the recurve was more widespread than asymmetrical limbs is a question worth investigating, but I have no special insight into the subject.

Miscellaneous:

I have just been to Bosworth Field for the fair, and I got some gear – a plackart, a bevor, mail gloves, some loose vambraces, some jack-chains, a halberd, and some 15th century clothing (to go with my gambeson and longsword). And I would like to share some observations; these may or may not be influenced by the quality of the kit.

Breastplates really need to fit well. One that is too wide across the chest will make certain two-handed sword techniques very difficult. For example, Ochs (a high guard with the sword pointing forwards) or zwerchhau would be extremely awkward. Apparently among the re-enactors there a plackart without the upper breastplate was popular, since it lets your upper arms and shoulders move freely and stabs towards the gut were pretty popular.

A big concern if you buy a bevor and helmet is how well they match. I tried on quite a few sallet helms and found the sides of the helmet overlapping with the bevor made it difficult to turn my head left and right. I think I am going to have to wear a kettle hat with my bevor instead.

15th century medieval ankle boots are perhaps the comfiest shoes I have ever worn. I felt very little pressure on my feet (or ankles) yet the footwear was completely secure and never even threatened to come loose. The shirt and hose were very comfortable as well. They allow your skin to breathe a great deal, and the combination of close-fitting cuff with loose sleeve is surprisingly convenient and did not get in the way at all.

Finding a sword-belt was remarkably difficult. I searched through just about everywhere at the festival with absolutely no success. I found a weapon ring for sale to hang from your belt, but it requires you to ‘cantle’ it (place a hand on your pommel to angle the sword so it does not point down and tangle your leg).

There was an absolutely beautiful set of half-armour faced with blue velvet on the breastplate, fauld and spaulders, while with Milanese vambraces. I will try to get a picture up, because it was a thing of beauty, though I did not have £1200 going spare.

I think my next investment would be a Spanish brigandine from Steel Mastery and forearms, because they go for roughly half the price of anything similar I saw at the event.

Also, for the record, there are swords that handle FAR better than the Hanwei Practical Bastard sword. My Hanwei is sluggish with one hand, but the German swords I got to handle were extremely agile; there were swords so long they came up to my shoulder if stood on end, yet I would feel happy using them with a buckler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Posting that without pics is just teasing.

And you didn't tell us about the gauntlets.

Also, doublet, shirt and hose is actually really comfy, I'll agree : I only feel a slight shame in admitting it. God I wish my department would let me teach dressed like a Landsknecht.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Thought this 16th century picture book might be of interest here, its the Codice de Trajes, 1547. It shows Europeans in period costumes, lots of soldiers in there too. If anyone can recognise some of the less obvious place names, that'd be fantastic. Of particular interest to myself is the guy on the very last page, the Irish soldier with the fully plate armoured left arm. This isn't the only depiction of Irish dudes with just their left arms/hands armoured, showing that they made a concious choice to equip themselves in this manner as opposed to carrying a buckler.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 675 days!)

After the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592 soldiers were required to train in the 24 military arts or "Gyongdang." One of these, Ssanggeom, was the useage of twin swords. On horseback. Dual wielding cavalry.

Here is a dude demonstrating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91u90XET4IE

Looks cumbersome. I have no idea if it was used on the battlefield, but there is apparently one army in the early modern era that was trained in dual wielding.

Railtus posted:

I have never come across asymmetrical bows outside of Japan, my guess is the reason for it is that recurve bows accomplished more or less the same thing elsewhere. Why the recurve was more widespread than asymmetrical limbs is a question worth investigating, but I have no special insight into the subject.

Thank you for teaching me the word "cantle."

To my knowledge there are two advantages to asymmetrical limbs - reduction of handshock and the ability to crouch while shooting. Longbows are already more "forgiving" to shoot than recurves since there are fewer variables affecting arrow flight upon release. Theoretically an asymmetrical longbow would stabilize the release even further since your bow hand would only vibrate a fraction as much since all the energy goes to the center of the bow. This is kind of incidental to a military bowyer's inspiration for the bow: making it the fastest, strongest, killingest bow in the land.

I think the problem is that centershot bows are much easier to tiller than asymmetrical bows, and the extra time and expense probably make the minor advantages seem less worthwhile. The big Yumi is ridiculously complex and to this day is much more expensive than an authentic reproduction of, for instance, an English longbow or Eastern composite recurve.

Medieval history & combat question: Do you think any English archers ever lost an ear due to that 30+ inch behind-the-head snapdraw?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Watch out Longinus, Jesus is back and he looks pissed.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Seems that for the weirder chinese weapons, like the hook swords, their more complicated aspects and practicality problems would have been greatly diminished by being personal weapons rather than military. Odds are the wielder just isn't going to run into many people with his level of training at all, so it doesn't matter as much that he's using a whackjob weapon because he's facing people who aren't trained formally at all.

Also, for the hook swords at least, it seems that they would still make passable single edged swords/punching daggers if you ignore the hook.

EDIT: Though no way the korean dual wielding cavalry thing was at all practical, at least not if the demonstrator is any guide. He was basically juggling the weapons and control of his horse, then lost one weapon on the attack. Doesn't offer any advantage to just using one, and quite a few disadvantages besides.

veekie fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 19, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

veekie posted:

Seems that for the weirder chinese weapons, like the hook swords, their more complicated aspects and practicality problems would have been greatly diminished by being personal weapons rather than military. Odds are the wielder just isn't going to run into many people with his level of training at all, so it doesn't matter as much that he's using a whackjob weapon because he's facing people who aren't trained formally at all.

Also, for the hook swords at least, it seems that they would still make passable single edged swords/punching daggers if you ignore the hook.

EDIT: Though no way the korean dual wielding cavalry thing was at all practical, at least not if the demonstrator is any guide. He was basically juggling the weapons and control of his horse, then lost one weapon on the attack. Doesn't offer any advantage to just using one, and quite a few disadvantages besides.

It also seems possible that stuff like hook swords are some sort of mutant offspring of specialized and now obsolete or obscure gardening implements or something. Sort of like the scythes, sickles, flails, and other weaponized peasant tools you see in various cultures. Though I stress this is pure speculation. Alternatively, the point might be to have a whackjob weapon that's confusing and unpredictable to even a trained person of average skill who's used to normal swords and stuff. Or to try and gain an advantage in competitions or something.

As for the two swords on a horse thing, it might just be a training thing to train you to be good at juggling weapons and controlling your horse at the same time, which seems like a useful skill, with the two swords thing being a sweetener to students and/or for demonstrations because even back then people knew that having two swords makes you look twice as cool.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 19, 2013

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Cream_Filling posted:

It also seems possible that stuff like hook swords are some sort of mutant offspring of specialized and now obsolete or obscure gardening implements or something. Sort of like the scythes, sickles, flails, and other weaponized peasant tools you see in various cultures. Though I stress this is pure speculation.

As for the two swords on a horse thing, it might just be a training thing to train you to be good at juggling weapons and controlling your horse at the same time, with the two swords thing being a sweetener to students because even back then people knew that having two swords makes you look twice as cool.

This is the full list of the 24 military arts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyongdang

I wish I could find out more about this Jin An guy who supposedly dual wielded 7 foot long swords in combat. Google turns up nothing. While I like the idea that they included it in training because it looks cool, it's even better if they extended that commitment to actually riding into battle like a D&D character, a whirlwind of comically oversized blades.

You're probably right that having to worry about juggling swords would make you really good at controlling the horse with your knees.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, from the weapon traits, we got:
-One long sharpened edge
-The crescent is basically a knife you could punch with
-The hilt is set with ANOTHER knife
-And the craziest bit, the hook. Used in an overcomplicated manner.

Also no matter how you wielded it, it seems that at least one of the bladed/pointy ends face towards you. So an amateur conclusion would be that this is the equivalent of the Super Swordmaster McDeluxe somebody came up with. It doesn't seem very sane to make a weapon which has a knife pointing towards your gut at all times.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Doesn't seem very sane to go to war either, for that matter.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Not My Goodies posted:

This is the full list of the 24 military arts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyongdang

I wish I could find out more about this Jin An guy who supposedly dual wielded 7 foot long swords in combat. Google turns up nothing. While I like the idea that they included it in training because it looks cool, it's even better if they extended that commitment to actually riding into battle like a D&D character, a whirlwind of comically oversized blades.

You're probably right that having to worry about juggling swords would make you really good at controlling the horse with your knees.

quote:

Gyeokgu (ball game on horseback)
Gyeokgu is a game similar to polo. Contestants on horseback use long handled mallets to strike a small leather ball. It was used to train soldiers and horses for mounted combat and to test the skills of the riders. Gyeokgu games were often surrounded by a great deal of ceremony and attended by royalty.

It looks like one of the 24 military arts was polo, so I think it's certainly reasonable to speculate that the two swords thing was primarily a training thing, with maybe a few crazy or particularly talented people actually doing it in combat due to special circumstances or to look cool (and with the stories growing in the retelling afterwards). Again, of course, I stress that I know next to nothing about this area of history so this is all just speculation on my part.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 19, 2013

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

A strange question popped into my head the other day while I was reading about sieges. After boiling oil gets poured on some poor bastards, what is the method used to clean up the...mess?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

because it's a training aid (looking at you, double-headed spear)

Double-headed spears are not at all far-fetched as a battlefield weapon. It's not exactly double headed but the standard pike has had a spike on the end since its invention in the ancient Greek world. Napoleonic era cavalry lances were double-headed so they could be used from a couched or overhand position without fiddling around with reversing it while on a speeding horse. It depends on how elaborate the head is we're talking about but it's hardly a weird idea.

Poldarn posted:

A strange question popped into my head the other day while I was reading about sieges. After boiling oil gets poured on some poor bastards, what is the method used to clean up the...mess?

Catapults! :black101:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I mean like how do they get the now cooled oil and liquified body parts off of the ground? Do they scrape it or sawdust or what? I think it's safe to assume that some peasant will be doing that work regardless of what method they use.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
First off, boiling oil was very rarely used, since oil was expensive. Boiling water or hot sand was probably much more common. Secondly, how exactly would the oil liquify the body parts?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Wouldn't you just kind of get a fried state? The body contains a lot of water to boil off before much else can happen, and the victim is long dead before that. No sense heating it up THAT much. Dead is dead.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

veekie posted:

Wouldn't you just kind of get a fried state? The body contains a lot of water to boil off before much else can happen, and the victim is long dead before that. No sense heating it up THAT much. Dead is dead.

Fair enough, I didn't think of exactly how the oil would kill people. So anyway, the attackers have been deep fat fried and the defenders need to sally out that gateway. Are they going to be slip and sliding all over the place or am I exaggerating how much of a mess the oil itself is going to make?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
As mentioned above, boiling water or hot sand works just as well, and much more cheaply. Neither would present major footing difficulties either, or at least no more than the heaps of corpses are going to give you. You might use pitch if you wanted to set their siege equipment on fire though.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cream_Filling posted:

It also seems possible that stuff like hook swords are some sort of mutant offspring of specialized and now obsolete or obscure gardening implements or something. Sort of like the scythes, sickles, flails, and other weaponized peasant tools you see in various cultures. Though I stress this is pure speculation. Alternatively, the point might be to have a whackjob weapon that's confusing and unpredictable to even a trained person of average skill who's used to normal swords and stuff. Or to try and gain an advantage in competitions or something.

As for the two swords on a horse thing, it might just be a training thing to train you to be good at juggling weapons and controlling your horse at the same time, which seems like a useful skill, with the two swords thing being a sweetener to students and/or for demonstrations because even back then people knew that having two swords makes you look twice as cool.

The falx was definitely used by Thracians and Dacians in large numbers, and it's almost as odd as a hook sword, but not quite. There were also specialized weapons like siege hooks used specifically in siege warfare. A hook sword would be useful in that particular circumstance, though I don't see the sharpened hand-guard as ever really being useful and not self-dangerous.

The sasumata and some other similar weapons were used by the 'police' or whatever you want to call the dudes who arrested 'criminals' in Japan and some other societies. So it's probable they could come into play in actual battles.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

veekie posted:

As mentioned above, boiling water or hot sand works just as well, and much more cheaply. Neither would present major footing difficulties either, or at least no more than the heaps of corpses are going to give you. You might use pitch if you wanted to set their siege equipment on fire though.

Wasn't Hot Sand the worst in regards to damage?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Not My Goodies posted:

To my knowledge there are two advantages to asymmetrical limbs - reduction of handshock and the ability to crouch while shooting. Longbows are already more "forgiving" to shoot than recurves since there are fewer variables affecting arrow flight upon release. Theoretically an asymmetrical longbow would stabilize the release even further since your bow hand would only vibrate a fraction as much since all the energy goes to the center of the bow. This is kind of incidental to a military bowyer's inspiration for the bow: making it the fastest, strongest, killingest bow in the land.

I think the problem is that centershot bows are much easier to tiller than asymmetrical bows, and the extra time and expense probably make the minor advantages seem less worthwhile. The big Yumi is ridiculously complex and to this day is much more expensive than an authentic reproduction of, for instance, an English longbow or Eastern composite recurve.

This is super-rote memory from my Japanese history classes 10+ years ago so I may be getting this wrong, but if I remember correctly one of the big reasons that the yumi is lopsided is because of its size and materials. Yumi are huge. Whereas longbows were (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) somewhere around 6 feet long, the yumi is well over two meters in length, averaging at something like 2.2 or 2.3 meters long. Drawing from the center of that would be extremely unwieldy, especially considering the short stature of the average Japanese warrior and the fact that a lot of archery was done from horseback. (though there are images of the asymmetrical bow since before horseback archery was widespread) The reason for the yumi's length was, IIRC, the fact that they were usually made at least partially from bamboo, without laminating techniques to increase tensile strength until relatively late in their development. Any shorter and it couldn't withstand the strength of draws required to make it an effective weapon. (and even with that they were far less effective bows than their European contemporaries)

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Re: hook swords. Reminds me of the TFR goons with their modded AR-15s with a foregrip, bipod, laser sight, 4x scope, red dot sight, folding stock, flash suppressor, silencer, loudener, and those duct-taped double magazines. Probably the same mentality went into making a hook sword.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Forgive me if this has already been asked as I haven't managed to read through all 30 pages yet, but I've been reading some historical fiction and accounts of ancient and medieval warfare lately and I've found I sometimes can't totally picture how large-scale warfare would look back in those days. Seeing the various videos demonstrating what's in the manuals on single combat has illuminated single combat for me, but I still don't always know how to picture authentic warfare. Are there any good visual representations of that kind of thing, be they videos or pictures? Any help is much appreciated.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Wasn't Hot Sand the worst in regards to damage?

Not sure about the practical aspect of it, but if any of them are at a rapidly lethal temperature, the difference is academic.

Liquid penetrates better, but might not hang around long enough to kill. On the other hand a full body scald is going to render most people incapable of fighting, and kill them in short order if you're in a fortification.

Hot sand would stick around inside clothing and armor and cause untold agony, but would likely affect a lower surface area of skin. They aren't likely to be in fighting condition either. The big difference is likely that you can launch hot sand through siege engines, but not hot water.

In both cases I think the psychological effects are the big deal there. Watching the guys in front die in agony that way puts a crimp in the willingness to face that again.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Re: hook swords. Reminds me of the TFR goons with their modded AR-15s with a foregrip, bipod, laser sight, 4x scope, red dot sight, folding stock, flash suppressor, silencer, loudener, and those duct-taped double magazines. Probably the same mentality went into making a hook sword.

I guess people never change.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen

Not My Goodies posted:

Medieval history & combat question: Do you think any English archers ever lost an ear due to that 30+ inch behind-the-head snapdraw?

Probably not, just because protecting your ears never gets mentioned as a concern in any of the sources I am familiar with or by any of the re-enactors or other archers. It seems like the kind of thing that would quickly become Longbow 101 if anyone ever experienced it or saw it happen.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Genpei Turtle posted:

This is super-rote memory from my Japanese history classes 10+ years ago so I may be getting this wrong, but if I remember correctly one of the big reasons that the yumi is lopsided is because of its size and materials. Yumi are huge. Whereas longbows were (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) somewhere around 6 feet long, the yumi is well over two meters in length, averaging at something like 2.2 or 2.3 meters long. Drawing from the center of that would be extremely unwieldy, especially considering the short stature of the average Japanese warrior and the fact that a lot of archery was done from horseback. (though there are images of the asymmetrical bow since before horseback archery was widespread) The reason for the yumi's length was, IIRC, the fact that they were usually made at least partially from bamboo, without laminating techniques to increase tensile strength until relatively late in their development. Any shorter and it couldn't withstand the strength of draws required to make it an effective weapon. (and even with that they were far less effective bows than their European contemporaries)

I'm pretty sure you're totally correct on all of this except the last part. Although even with a 7 foot bow you'd have to be really short before it became impossible to shoot from the center.

There are laminate Yumi dating back from the 5th century BC. To my knowledge there's no reason why a Yumi made with wood and bamboo laminate couldn't be in excess of 80 lbs.

Sorry to get all Deadliest Warrior on you here but if by European contemporaries you mean the English longbow, the full size war Yumi was a far superior weapon mechanically. Pound for pound they shot arrows faster and farther because of the heavy curves in the composite limbs storing more energy than an unbent yew stick. I don't think there ever was a more powerful bow than a high draw war Yumi, although I don't know much about Eastern composite recurves. My understanding is that they were more for flinging arrows from horseback so they didn't really utilize the 100+ lb draw weight the same way English and Japanese archers did with their big dramatic behind the head draw length.

e: I can't find it but somewhere there's a video of Mike Loades shooting an English warbow next to a guy shooting a war Yumi and it goes into the specifics of why the Yumi were so baller.

Beeez posted:

Forgive me if this has already been asked as I haven't managed to read through all 30 pages yet, but I've been reading some historical fiction and accounts of ancient and medieval warfare lately and I've found I sometimes can't totally picture how large-scale warfare would look back in those days. Seeing the various videos demonstrating what's in the manuals on single combat has illuminated single combat for me, but I still don't always know how to picture authentic warfare. Are there any good visual representations of that kind of thing, be they videos or pictures? Any help is much appreciated.

I watched the Russell Crowe Robin Hood recently and the early battle scenes are really vicious and chaotic. It's a really silly movie but the first battle in the movie is like olde timey storming Normandy with thousands of arrows and bolts whizzing through the air constantly, which is something I've never seen in a movie before.

The show Vikings has some great small-scale shield wall stuff that is mostly historically accurate.

Ironclad is kind of boring for a movie full of people hacking at each other with swords but it's got some wicked siege tactics and fairly historically accurate fighting.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 19, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Not My Goodies posted:

I'm pretty sure you're totally correct on all of this except the last part. Although even with a 7 foot bow you'd have to be really short before it became impossible to shoot from the center.

There are laminate Yumi dating back from the 5th century BC. To my knowledge there's no reason why a Yumi made with wood and bamboo laminate couldn't be in excess of 80 lbs.

Sorry to get all Deadliest Warrior on you here but if by European contemporaries you mean the English longbow, the full size war Yumi was a far superior weapon mechanically. Pound for pound they shot arrows faster and farther because of the heavy curves in the composite limbs storing more energy than an unbent yew stick. I don't think there ever was a more powerful bow than a high draw war Yumi, although I don't know much about Eastern composite recurves. My understanding is that they were more for flinging arrows from horseback so they didn't really utilize the 100+ lb draw weight the same way English and Japanese archers did with their big dramatic behind the head draw length.

I guess maybe I should specify--I was strictly speaking about the Yumi in Heian times (794-1185) since that was my major period of study. I keep forgetting to mention that. Back then it was fairly simple with two pieces of bamboo with maybe a wood core IIRC. The composite limbs from my understanding were a later development. In that case you may absolutely be right that it was among the best, given how central the bow was to Japanese warfare throughout most of its history. I was always under the impression that Heian-era bows were a little bit inferior to contemporary European and Chinese bows, though I may be remembering things wrong.

(And from my undrestanding people were pretty darn short back then--there's a rock on Kurama mountain that's said to be the same height of one of the premier warriors of the day--and it's maybe 5 feet tall tops. How accurate that description is though I can't say. Though I've seen some armor from the period that looks like it would only fit a child today.)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Not My Goodies posted:

I believe the Mongols used bows that had up to 160lb draw weights, as well as plenty in the 120-140lb range, which is insane.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 19, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Are higher draw weight bows more or less reliable than lower draw weight bows? I was just wondering if a big 160 lb bow was put under much more stress than a smaller one, and might break sooner?

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I believe the Mongols used bows that had up to 160lb draw weights, as well as plenty in the 120-140lb range, which is insane.

You'd have to be strong enough to lift a full grown man one-handed dozens or hundreds of times in a row to pull that to full draw. I don't think they pulled those bows to full draw. A 160 lb bow spans the full range of power from 0-160 lbs so if you pulled the bow halfway back and got 80 pounds you were still flinging a very fast and deadly arrow and only having to draw 14 inches to achieve that, theoretically cutting down the time it takes to shoot and nock a new arrow dramatically.

Rabhadh posted:

Are higher draw weight bows more or less reliable than lower draw weight bows? I was just wondering if a big 160 lb bow was put under much more stress than a smaller one, and might break sooner?

A bowyer could give you a much better answer, but when you're shooting a really heavy bow hopefully most of that energy is going into an appropriately massive arrow instead of the limbs. Even dry firing a 20 lb bow will gently caress it up really fast.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 19, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Beeez posted:

If it's late enough that the people involved have "perspective" down, period paintings or engravings are good sources.

Battle of Pavia, Italian Wars

Battle of White Mountain, end of the opening gambit of the Thirty Years' War

Siege of Gravelines, by the same guy who did the White Mountain picture (which means it's not period, but it looks really cool)

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks to those who have responded so far. So did shield walls involve very little dexterity in handling one's weapons? I watched the aforementioned Vikings battle scene and it seemed like the ones using swords in the shield wall were kind of just flailing their swords around. I know spears were the most common weapon for foot soldiers in a lot of time frames, but some of the stuff I've read mentions soldiers really cutting men up with a sword or dagger in a shield wall. I also don't quite understand how a shield wall with more columns was helpful, if it really was two sides pushing against each other with shields then how did anyone who wasn't in the first row manage to hit anything with any kind of accuracy or contribute much besides putting more force on the backs of the men in the front of a shield wall? I have some theories based on what I read and have seen so far but I'm trying to be sure.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Beeez posted:

Thanks to those who have responded so far. So did shield walls involve very little dexterity in handling one's weapons? I watched the aforementioned Vikings battle scene and it seemed like the ones using swords in the shield wall were kind of just flailing their swords around. I know spears were the most common weapon for foot soldiers in a lot of time frames, but some of the stuff I've read mentions soldiers really cutting men up with a sword or dagger in a shield wall. I also don't quite understand how a shield wall with more columns was helpful, if it really was two sides pushing against each other with shields then how did anyone who wasn't in the first row manage to hit anything with any kind of accuracy or contribute much besides putting more force on the backs of the men in the front of a shield wall? I have some theories based on what I read and have seen so far but I'm trying to be sure.

Could it have been that simple extra force from behind? I get the impression that shieldwall clashes were kind of like when linemen crash into each other; the goal is to push the other guys back and break up their formation. If they had spears, the second (and third?) ranks might have been able to reach into the melee too.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The linemen analogy is sort of my impression too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I finally finished the old History of Rome podcast, is there anything like that for England, France, or Germany/the HRE?

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I have read this before in an Osprey book but I find it extremely unlikely. Those numbers match many English longbows, and we know English longbowmen had major skeletal deformities and had to use their full body to draw the bow. I have never come across anything similar (and I have looked) from Mongol skeletons and they drew their bows on horseback (which presumably would be more difficult to draw with your full body).

Not My Goodies posted:

e: I can't find it but somewhere there's a video of Mike Loades shooting an English warbow next to a guy shooting a war Yumi and it goes into the specifics of why the Yumi were so baller.

This video? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrOIQRnKcnc

According to someone with the whole documentary downloaded onto their laptop, "To make a fair comparison (...) we've chosen bows with matching draw weights. Both of these bows take approx. 23 kg. of force to pull to their maximum."

I suppose it is technically a fair comparison, but I feel it's kind of misleading at the same time since the longbow is not really supposed to be an especially complex or efficient design. It just relies on having a massive draw-weight. Apparently, Karl Friday, "Warfare and the State in Early Medieval Japan" has some info on Yumi draw weights but I have never read it myself.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I've heard a few times that Mongols fired their bows from a sitting position when dismounted, is it possible they could shoot 160 pd bows by steadying the bow with their feet and drawing with both arms? It's possible such bows would only be fired from such a posture and only used in sieges and such.

Beeez posted:

This topic has come up a few times and the generally consensus is shield walls and phalanxes didn't actually push each other often because the people doing the shoving would die really quickly and the front ranks of both sides might even start suffocating. Mostly likely if two shield walls were facing off they'd keep about at spear range until one side breaks. There are battles where the two sides often seem to be pushing one another, possibly sort of literally like linemen, and if one side is able to open a gap in the other line extra columns/units are useful for filling it.

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen

Beeez posted:

I have heard very different versions of this. I suspect dexterity was important, since a sword would not be my first choice if I wanted something to flail around.

I have actually heard it suggested that shield walls did not tend to result in pushing matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaYtNW_wR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tf4ygCbWKk

There’s also the issue of helmets. You want to hit something vital over the shield wall. Flailing could stun someone on the helmet but in many ways you are trying to hit a face or neck.

Another factor is the centre-boss shield common among Vikings and I think Saxons. In some ways it is relatively easy to shove aside. I think the shield was probably not the best for pushing matches etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

On the other hand, pushing could be appropriate in some circumstances. For instance, a boar’s snout formation could be used to drive a wedge through the enemy line. Obviously it depends on how thick the line is.

Squalid posted:

I've heard a few times that Mongols fired their bows from a sitting position when dismounted, is it possible they could shoot 160 pd bows by steadying the bow with their feet and drawing with both arms? It's possible such bows would only be fired from such a posture and only used in sieges and such.

Good explanation! That could explain how a 160 lb bow is feasible, if the conventional draw was not the full power of the bow.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Railtus posted:

I have heard very different versions of this. I suspect dexterity was important, since a sword would not be my first choice if I wanted something to flail around.

I have actually heard it suggested that shield walls did not tend to result in pushing matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaYtNW_wR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tf4ygCbWKk

There’s also the issue of helmets. You want to hit something vital over the shield wall. Flailing could stun someone on the helmet but in many ways you are trying to hit a face or neck.

Another factor is the centre-boss shield common among Vikings and I think Saxons. In some ways it is relatively easy to shove aside. I think the shield was probably not the best for pushing matches etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

On the other hand, pushing could be appropriate in some circumstances. For instance, a boar’s snout formation could be used to drive a wedge through the enemy line. Obviously it depends on how thick the line is.

Yeah, these are some of the reasons I found it confusing to be sure how formations actually worked. I know ultimately the goal is to rout the enemy and it wasn't very likely for battles to be fought to the last man, but from some of the descriptions and pictures I've seen I don't understand how just pushing could work that well in a lot of instances. It seems like it'd limit mobility and dexterity too much if the formations are excessively rigid. But again, I could be way off, just trying to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Beeez posted:

Yeah, these are some of the reasons I found it confusing to be sure how formations actually worked. I know ultimately the goal is to rout the enemy and it wasn't very likely for battles to be fought to the last man, but from some of the descriptions and pictures I've seen I don't understand how just pushing could work that well in a lot of instances. It seems like it'd limit mobility and dexterity too much if the formations are excessively rigid. But again, I could be way off, just trying to figure it out.

Yeah, I don't think 'just pushing' is how a lot of that was supposed to go. Hence the 8 foot long bits of pointy death everyone is carrying around. For the Greek phalanx, you've got everyone with spears, attempting to stab each other somewhere vulnerable. Everyone sort of scoots toward the man to his right, so that he can use his neighbor's shield (held in the left) as well as his own. Since elite troops most often went on the right, this could lead to spinning battles, or the Theban 'let's triple stack our best on the left and gently caress up your king.' I think of it as a very proto-Boar's Head maneuver. It's interesting to note that (per Thucydides etc. number) stand up fights like this were pretty tame as far as dead men on the field, at least, if they did not result in a bloody rout and massacre. (Many of them didn't, a good cavalry screen or solid rear guard could force a pursuing force to huddle up under their shields, letting sprinting losers retire more or less safely.) That's the benefit of the tight, well armored formation. It's safe(ish) and can power through less well equipped or tightly packed formations. Flexibility is an issue, see also, battle of Pylos. The Romans end up adopting the maniple, a sort of balance between the two. I don't think I've every seen a record where pushing was a big deal.

• Locked thread