Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 356 days!
snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Crasscrab posted:

so ive been reading the novelization of pacific rim

oh my god lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Crasscrab posted:

so ive been reading the novelization of pacific rim

p good. fleshes stuff out a little more. here's a good line "if you have problem with ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life"

this has got to be the most unintentionally racially/culturally unaware movie i have ever seen

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ol qwerty bastard posted:

ugh i went into this giant monster vs. robot movie expecting it to be far more cerebral but it turns out that the director of a giant monster vs. robot movie was fine with making something accessible to plebs

*pushes glasses up nose, pops in a dvd of a silent romanian arthouse film from 1928*

:cripes:

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
god are we still stuck on this poo poo

turns out some people liked a thing and others didnt, and its worth like 20 pages of sci fi postin i guess

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
I just watched Miller's Crossing. A good loving movie imo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MindSet posted:

turns out some people liked a thing and others didnt, and its worth like 20 pages of sci fi postin i guess

if someone wants to make another sci fi thing i'll talk about it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

chumpchous posted:

if someone wants to make another sci fi thing i'll talk about it
elysium

or maybe a blast from the past with paul verhoeven's starship troopers because of the live rifftrax

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
so i just read neverwhere for the first time, modern fantasy is pretty close to sci fi right? it was okay anyway, im going to read american gods next to try and get more into gaiman. im just upset by the fact that ive seen lots of pratchett comparisons and it was nowhere close

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
neverwhere is pretty good, the tv miniseries is also fun but man did they not have the budget to do it properly

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

so i just read neverwhere for the first time, modern fantasy is pretty close to sci fi right? it was okay anyway, im going to read american gods next to try and get more into gaiman. im just upset by the fact that ive seen lots of pratchett comparisons and it was nowhere close

i liked neverwhere, american gods and stardust a lot, anansi boys was alright i guess

e: guess he's got a new one out too

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sham bam bamina! posted:

elysium

or maybe a blast from the past with paul verhoeven's starship troopers because of the live rifftrax

or how about mystery science theater in general? we all know its p great but how great is it??? ,utimy im space seems to be one of the most oft "greatest MST3K" citations

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

MindSet posted:

yospos.txt: i dont like thing. if u like thing, you are the worst, simple

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Can-O-Raid posted:

I feel like you guys are way to worried about being superior to some other dudes that might also be posting

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
hey

hey guys

know what sucks?

compact fluorescent lightbulbs

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hubris.height posted:

or how about mystery science theater in general? we all know its p great but how great is it??? ,utimy im space seems to be one of the most oft "greatest MST3K" citations
i watched danger!! death ray the other night, it's a goddamn classic

i just about lost it when torgo showed up :hawaaaafap:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i watched danger!! death ray the other night, it's a goddamn classic

i just about lost it when torgo showed up :hawaaaafap:

have not seen it, on netflix? i could get down with some mst3k while i game today

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Lost For Words posted:

I feel like you guys are way to worried about being superior to some other dudes that might also be posting

it's "too" you peon :smug:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
hehe pee-on

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Heresiarch posted:

neverwhere is pretty good, the tv miniseries is also fun but man did they not have the budget to do it properly

looking like an earnest drama class production kinda suits gaiman's stuff

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hey

hey guys

know what sucks?

let's be more positive. know what's awesome? halogen torchieres. hell yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heresiarch posted:

I've thought for years that gaiman should do an adventure game and now it seems like that might actually happen

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

paul verhoeven's starship troopers live rifftrax

on my way out of this there were some real-life nazis walking out of the theatre too

been a while since I have seen a nazi and I wasn't sure what to make of them walking out of a show making fun of a movie making of of a book by a literal fascist

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

hubris.height posted:

biff hardcheese

splint chesthair

butch hardpec

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

elysium

godzilla vs megalon is my favourite classic mst3k

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Can-O-Raid posted:

it's been shown that a person critiquing something negatively is perceived as more intelligent

liking things is literally seen as dumb by most people

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

FEMA summer camp posted:

on my way out of this there were some real-life nazis walking out of the theatre too

been a while since I have seen a nazi and I wasn't sure what to make of them walking out of a show making fun of a movie making of of a book by a literal fascist

half the people who hate heinlein say he's a fascist, the other half think he's a libertarian

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think we can all agree he was a terrible, overrated author

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
never

death before dishonour agreement with stymie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FEMA summer camp posted:

:laffo:

was real conflicted about what i thought of mike and tom and servo making fun of verhoeven making fun of heinlein but man they did a great job. even cutting the nudity for whatever rating they were trying to achieve was funny because you know some nerds wanted to see that and maybe high-five or pull it off under their leather trenchcoats v0v

i laughed [internally] until i thought i was going to have a hernia for 75% of it and then gtfo quick blocked only by an old guy who seemed like he had the gout

the real-life nazis here are apparently too hip for rifftrax though

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Heresiarch posted:

half the people who hate heinlein say he's a fascist, the other half think he's a libertarian

what about the fact that he preaches equality, women's rights, free love, anti-racism, gender fluidity, and libertarianism through the understanding lens of a bootstraps misogynistic white male immortal freeper superman?

e: missed the first starship troopers showing but want to catch the second airing

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Book of Eli or Fallout IV: Wasteland Wanderer Denzel Undertakes a Fetch Quest for God

It looked the part, I guess. That's p. much all I enjoyed :o:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

MancXVI posted:

what about the fact that he preaches equality, women's rights, free love, anti-racism, gender fluidity, and libertarianism through the understanding lens of a bootstraps misogynistic white male immortal freeper superman?

that was sort of the point, heinlein believed in some crazy poo poo but you can't put simple labels on him like "fascist"

also i just hate people misusing the word "fascist" in general because it has a specific meaning and it's not "totalitarianism with fashionable uniforms"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Book of Eli
that scene where denzel goes all neo with a machete in a bar and decapitates 20-30 attackers was so dated and hilarious

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

that scene where denzel goes all neo with a machete in a bar and decapitates 20-30 attackers was so dated and hilarious
There can only be one

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
heinlein literally believed that all the worlds problems could be fixed if we just pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps and super powers that make money and war utterly meaningless

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

hey

hey guys

know what sucks?

gently caress you they're better than incandescent gently caress thomas edison

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope. cfls are garbage compared to incandescent when it comes to light.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
YOSPOS: Your Omnidirectional Source of Photons is Overwhelmingly poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
heilein :hitler:

• Locked thread