Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh my god, he's so :911:

In. re. Artie, I heard somewhere that other dogs get weirded out by primitives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Peep is goddamn adorable.

In cat-talk, Cassandra has been an absolute little poo poo the last few days :( It started after we brought her brother Rayne to the vet and he got a shot and some pills for a urinary problem. I vaguely remember that shots can change how a cat smells to others, could this be whats causing it? She's harassing him and the other cats at random and with seemingly no provocation.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Writer Cath posted:

Bella did a good job at the dog park today.

She protected me from Man With Hat by barking half assedly and not doing anything.

Haha, Tater has a few people he will bark at for whatever reason. My apartment neighbor for instance -- Tater rushes up, gets his pets and belly rub then backs off and starts barking in full play bow with his tail wagging. Real scary there, chief.

But not today... today he has a real bad hotspot :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I spoke with the feline veterinarian at the clinic I work at about one of my older cats. He has a history of IBD and pancreatitis and my mother, who cares for him, takes them to a homeopathic vet :( He's been wasting away for years now. Originally he was pretty fat, but now he's about 6-7# and is all skin and bones. My mom thinks leaving food out 24/7 for him will help, but it's been months now and he's still skinny. It's so sad and incredibly upsetting.

Anyways, I spoke with the vet and she helped me get a lot of info on IBD for my mom and what labwork to run, but said it could very likely be small cell GI lymphoma :( I don't want to believe it, but he fits the age group - 15 year old male with long-term IBD.

We just lost our oldest cat very suddenly not even a month ago. We think it was probably a bladder tumor that of course nobody detected because my mom pays out the wazoo for a homeopathic vet.

I'm just really sad and scared right now :smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I spoke with the feline veterinarian at the clinic I work at about one of my older cats. He has a history of IBD and pancreatitis and my mother, who cares for him, takes them to a homeopathic vet :( He's been wasting away for years now. Originally he was pretty fat, but now he's about 6-7# and is all skin and bones. My mom thinks leaving food out 24/7 for him will help, but it's been months now and he's still skinny. It's so sad and incredibly upsetting.

Anyways, I spoke with the vet and she helped me get a lot of info on IBD for my mom and what labwork to run, but said it could very likely be small cell GI lymphoma :( I don't want to believe it, but he fits the age group - 15 year old male with long-term IBD.

We just lost our oldest cat very suddenly not even a month ago. We think it was probably a bladder tumor that of course nobody detected because my mom pays out the wazoo for a homeopathic vet.

I'm just really sad and scared right now :smith:

:glomp: You're already talking to a vet and it's the best thing you can do about it. I hope the little guy is alright and it's something easy to fix instead of cancer. Fingers crossed that it'll be alright.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:glomp: You're already talking to a vet and it's the best thing you can do about it. I hope the little guy is alright and it's something easy to fix instead of cancer. Fingers crossed that it'll be alright.

I would love to take him up here where I work, but it's a 6 hour drive and he's never left the house he lives in and his other animal buddies he lives with. Like, he can get lymphoma in a year or two but not now.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Ugh, I am so upset right now.

Alright, so to explain, I was babysitting this kid for this one lady and also walking her dog. It wasn't for very much, but hey, we both live in the same kind of low-income housing so whatever. Goes well for about two months, then she loses her job, so I lose mine. Hey again, totally understandable. It's one hell of a hard economy right now. No bad feelings, and since she would pay my in advance for two weeks of dogwalking, it was fine. Okay, we get through one week, and one day she tells me she's getting rid of the dog. Okay...that's a little odd but hey, if money's tight than I'd rather see him go to a good home that can take care of him. I was a little upset at the time, I admit it, but it was because the old dog was a pretty sweet dog (albiet starved for attention).

Today, I got my job watching the kid back, but with a stipulation-she only needs me for about 1-2 weeks, since the kid is going to go to his father's for the school year. And it all fell into place-she got rid of the dog because her kid wasn't going to be around. I didn't say anything at the time, but right now I'm pretty pissed off! considering how he was basically treated like living decoration and was yelled at for barking (which, uh. He was a Pug/Pekingese, but I live with a terrier. Most forms of small dog barking does not register to me anymore) and even for licking too loudly. I met the lady who took him, she's very sweet and I'm pretty sure she can take care of him, but..ugh, I hate it when people do something like this. I really hate it when people get a dog basically because "it's the thing to do' or "it's for our kids, we actually don't like pets." If I had to, I'd give up Mia to someone who could take care of her if I couldn't anymore, but it would be an incredibly difficult decision and I'd probably end up bawling like a baby over it. This was...incredibly casual and completely unplanned-she just told me one day when I came over to walk him.

Also, I'm pretty sure she had the money to take care of him, considering that, you know, she could afford 200 a week for me walking her dog/watching her kid. I just...:sigh:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea some people just don't care and it's sad. I was in a hard financial and living situation a few years ago and looked into giving up my first dog, I even drove to the place to give her away, but I just couldn't do it. My dog looking like she was about to have emotional breakdown because she could tell what was happening didn't help. I was lucky to have a friend step up to watch her for a year.

Sounds like the dog went to a better home though instead of being dumped in a shelter or on the side of the road so that's a better outcome for the dog if the owner treated it like crap.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay I need help bad! For the past two weeks, Feldman has been waking me up between 2-4am to go out and poo poo. The thing is, I have no idea why he's suddenly doing this, he usually sleeps through the night, even since my mom has started letting him sleep in the bed with her. I've tried feeding him less at dinner, I try to take him out for his last walk as late as I can, but sometimes he's just gotta poop at like 9, instead of 10:30 or so when I try to take him. I have no clue what the heck to do. I need sleep!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay I need help bad! For the past two weeks, Feldman has been waking me up between 2-4am to go out and poo poo. The thing is, I have no idea why he's suddenly doing this, he usually sleeps through the night, even since my mom has started letting him sleep in the bed with her. I've tried feeding him less at dinner, I try to take him out for his last walk as late as I can, but sometimes he's just gotta poop at like 9, instead of 10:30 or so when I try to take him. I have no clue what the heck to do. I need sleep!

Feldman has so many poop issues I'm not really sure where to start with the jokes.

What about water? Like take away his water after bedtime or something?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sneak up on him in the middle of the night, surprise alpha roll him, take a giant poo poo while you make him watch, and then go back to bed. He'll get the idea, dogs are smart.

e: I haven't been following PI lately. I don't know which of you has the black cat, but you posted a video on the facebook group of your cat playing with like half a dozen dead birds. How the hell do you end up with so many dead birds? :confused:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Sneak up on him in the middle of the night, surprise alpha roll him, take a giant poo poo while you make him watch, and then go back to bed. He'll get the idea, dogs are smart.

e: I haven't been following PI lately. I don't know which of you has the black cat, but you posted a video on the facebook group of your cat playing with like half a dozen dead birds. How the hell do you end up with so many dead birds? :confused:

Cats are murder machines. v:shobon:v

Could you maybe feed Feldman earlier in the day? Just like, I don't know what your schedule is. But maybe if you fed him a couple hours earlier than usual he wouldn't have this new rear end demon thing going on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Right, but how do you end up collecting them like that? When we used to let Sasha roam the woods, she'd just eat 'em. We didn't end up with a collection of bird corpses.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Right, but how do you end up collecting them like that? When we used to let Sasha roam the woods, she'd just eat 'em. We didn't end up with a collection of bird corpses.

I dunno. The outdoor cats around my folks' house used to bring two and three birds at once, per cat. The porch was pretty gross after a while. The worst was the half eaten squirrel with it's eyes, part of it's skull and most of it's neck showing. :gonk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Geez, I guess my cat's a selfish jerk. She never once shared a dead bird or mouse or vole or anything. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My sister's Turkish Van once surrounded her entire house with a ring of corpses, at about 3' intervals. It was easily 20+ dead squirrels, birds, mice, and voles. It was like some kind of bizarre Satanic ritual out there, she was horrified.

blue urban dream
Aug 8, 2011
When my cat used to be allowed outside with the door open, twice she brought in freshly-killed mice. Once she sat outside my room door and meowed until I came out to see her with the still-warm corpse of a mouse next to her. Both times totally uneaten, I guess they were all for me. And yet we have mice problems every winter and once a mouse chewed a hole into the laundry wall, so I guess mice the house get Chloe's seal of approval, but mice outside must die and be made into thoughtful gifts.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Could you maybe feed Feldman earlier in the day? Just like, I don't know what your schedule is. But maybe if you fed him a couple hours earlier than usual he wouldn't have this new rear end demon thing going on.

Yeah, I usually feed him at 9am in the morning(before I even eat, the jerk.) Then again at like 5pm. Maybe if I feed him an hour earlier or so, he won't me me walk him at 4 am, with one eye open waiting for him to poo poo.

Bad Munki posted:

This is a pretty good idea too.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, I usually feed him at 9am in the morning(before I even eat, the jerk.) Then again at like 5pm. Maybe if I feed him an hour earlier or so, he won't me me walk him at 4 am, with one eye open waiting for him to poo poo.

Processing time for a dog's digestive system is approximately 8 hours + however long a dog can hold it. I'd feed later to maximize the "hold it" time. If you feed at 5pm and Feldman has to dump at 4am, he's got a "hold it" time of about 3-4 hours. Try waiting until 7-8pm for dinner and see what happens.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Kalli done got spade. She's pretty stoned atm

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Why did you get her a spade, are you taking her to the beach? :v:

Glad to hear it went ok.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

That'd be shifty pony, and as he said in the facebook post "this is why sadie is an inside cat" He got those sparrow's himself, they apparently gently caress with the local songbirds so he takes em out.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Bad Munki posted:

That's Shifty Pony's cat Sadie. He said "I trap the sparrows because they are invasive little jerks that kill native songbirds."

e: beaten

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

McDragon posted:

Why did you get her a spade, are you taking her to the beach? :v:

Glad to hear it went ok.

I didn't get her a spade, I shoved a spade into her belly. Sheesh. And no; she's too stoned to go to the beach!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm singing (screaming) at Ires while she's trying to take a nap and she's completely ignoring me. Time to get the cymbals out, I guess.

Fraction posted:

I didn't get her a spade, I shoved a spade into her belly. Sheesh. And no; she's too stoned to go to the beach!

How old's Kalli again?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How old's Kalli again?

Six months a week today!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

RazorBunny posted:

My sister's Turkish Van once surrounded her entire house with a ring of corpses, at about 3' intervals. It was easily 20+ dead squirrels, birds, mice, and voles. It was like some kind of bizarre Satanic ritual out there, she was horrified.
One of my mom's Siameses has filled the dog house with pigeon wings, which is, I guess, the only part he doesn't eat. He lurks inside it now, ensconced within the murder nest.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

ButWhatIf posted:

Processing time for a dog's digestive system is approximately 8 hours + however long a dog can hold it. I'd feed later to maximize the "hold it" time. If you feed at 5pm and Feldman has to dump at 4am, he's got a "hold it" time of about 3-4 hours. Try waiting until 7-8pm for dinner and see what happens.

I just think it's cute that he thinks 9 am is an early breakfast :allears: Husker sometimes let me sleep til 7:05 before he started bitching for his breakfast.

We did a 12-hour interval, breakfast at 7 and dinner at 7, and he would usually have a poop right before the next meal. It sounds like Feldman's silly little dog body has a similar digestive schedule, with a ~4 hour "hold" time. I'd second the later dinner time idea, maybe even follow a similar 12-hour cycle (you could always do 9 and 9 if you don't want to get up earlier :))

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Six months a week today!

Do growth plates grow together tighter earlier in smaller dogs?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Do growth plates grow together tighter earlier in smaller dogs?

Pre-heat spaying is pretty common here, and lots of vets recommend it.

E lmao should I ask the clinic to unspay her or something

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 20, 2013

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Pretty sure Border Collies aren't "small dogs".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Pre-heat spaying is pretty common here, and lots of vets recommend it.

E lmao should I ask the clinic to unspay her or something

Yes, you should. Because you're basically ruining your dog! What's her breeder recommend? :colbert:

The Big Whoop posted:

Pretty sure Border Collies aren't "small dogs".

Anything smaller than Amy is a small dog to me these days. I basically ruined myself.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Oh good we're doing this again

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I have to ask, aside from conformation concerns like not growing to be the proper size/shape, what are the health issues involved in spaying a large breed dog early, say 6 months or so (before the first heat)? Personally I don't really care if a dog "fills out properly," so I'd be interested in hearing what other effects an early spay could have on a large breed dog.

e: no dramas plz, just curious

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes, you should. Because you're basically ruining your dog! What's her breeder recommend? :colbert:

Woah, stop everything and get in time machine! Fluffy Bunnies disagrees about a decision! :supaburn:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Aw man, my friend got to watch hundreds of baby turtles hatch and scramble toward the ocean, and she didn't take any pictures :( I'm so jealous.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

RazorBunny posted:

We did a 12-hour interval, breakfast at 7 and dinner at 7, and he would usually have a poop right before the next meal.

This is what we do, but 9 to 9. Usually gets a morning and evening poop out of them, sometimes with a bonus noon dook for fun.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Oh god do we have to do the early spay thing

Please lets not do the early spay thing

I think everyone here is aware of the pros/cons and weighs them accordingly when making their deep and important dog life choices

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Guys I want to get my bird spayed, is she too young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I would like to get Dexter spaded. Do you think the vet will do it? Or is he too young? :ohdear:

• Locked thread