Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe cold brew it in milk?

I would rather cold brew drip it with water then add cream than cold brew with milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would rather cold brew drip it with water then add cream than cold brew with milk.

To use as a base for ice cream? The point is to prevent dilution.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

torgeaux posted:

To use as a base for ice cream? The point is to prevent dilution.

water + cream = milk.

Also you can make the cold brew drip as concentrated as you want. I think the sentiment is that cold brew drip is weak. I would argue that you can make it just as strong as a ristretto espresso and have it taste just as full flavored. You can get way better fat % when doing it this way which can give you a significantly better textured ice cream.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 16, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You can try doing the milk thing, but there's also a lot of other things in there that may mess with extraction beyond water. I can personally attest that a shot of espresso + coffee ground to an espresso level of fineness gives tons of coffee flavor and has zero affect on texture due to the either the small amount of extra water or the ground coffee.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I use this recipe for coffee iced cream and it makes very good iced cream.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/coffee_ice_cream/

I only use 3/4 cup of beans though, but I smash them with a rolling pin in a ziplock before using - this is my patented Mathematically Precice Half Volume Double Surface Area method because I am cheap.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
My cuisinart kettle broke this morning. What's the current crowd favorite for electrified kettles? I don't need a gooseneck and I don't really care about being able to heat to a specific degree because I own a kitchen thermometer.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Is this about the right grind for an aeropress? Sorry for terrible phone pic - that thing is a quarter.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

JDM3 posted:

Is this about the right grind for an aeropress? Sorry for terrible phone pic - that thing is a quarter.

That is wayyyyy too coarse IMO.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

water + cream = milk.

Also you can make the cold brew drip as concentrated as you want. I think the sentiment is that cold brew drip is weak. I would argue that you can make it just as strong as a ristretto espresso and have it taste just as full flavored. You can get way better fat % when doing it this way which can give you a significantly better textured ice cream.

Milk is not just watered cream. Your plan could work, but I doubt it. Mixing cream and water doesn't actually blend, and you're missing the milk solids. I suspect you'd get bad ice crystals that way.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Milk is not just watered cream. Your plan could work, but I doubt it. Mixing cream and water doesn't actually blend, and you're missing the milk solids. I suspect you'd get bad ice crystals that way.

Ice crystals are a function of how fast it freezes and if you're worried about that just throw it in a pacojet or use liquid nitrogen.

In terms of ice cream texture milk solids play little to no part of the texture game. Sugar percentage, fat percentage, egg percentage (assuming custard not philadelphia ice cream) (or other hydrocolloids, guar, xanthan, etc), and speed of freezing are what affect perceived creaminess.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 16, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

My cuisinart kettle broke this morning. What's the current crowd favorite for electrified kettles? I don't need a gooseneck and I don't really care about being able to heat to a specific degree because I own a kitchen thermometer.

I've used the $32 silver Aroma AWK-115S kettle in my home office for a year or two and it's worked like a champ.

Bonus:
Whirley Popped "Guatemala Acatenango Gesha" from Sweet Maria's. Nom Nom :guinness:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 17, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ice crystals are a function of how fast it freezes and if you're worried about that just throw it in a pacojet or use liquid nitrogen.

In terms of ice cream texture milk solids play little to no part of the texture game. Sugar percentage, fat percentage, egg percentage (assuming custard not philadelphia ice cream) (or other hydrocolloids, guar, xanthan, etc), and speed of freezing are what affect perceived creaminess.

Sounds like you are knowledgeable, but wouldn't a typical home ice cream freezer do better with milk/cream than with water added? I've always found any water becomes crystals, even if churned, but cream doesn't. Is that a function of temp?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Sounds like you are knowledgeable, but wouldn't a typical home ice cream freezer do better with milk/cream than with water added? I've always found any water becomes crystals, even if churned, but cream doesn't. Is that a function of temp?

It is possible to have a completely smooth yet completely dairy free product. For instance, you can make a fantastically "creamy" sorbet. In this example it is the % of dissolved sugar in the base that inhibits the formation of large ice crystals. From there, we just rely on the machine of choice to freeze the product as fast as possible. The longer it takes to freeze, the larger the ice crystals in the finished product, which results in a gritty mouthfeel.

Moderinst pistachio gelato is another example of a completely dairy free frozen dessert which has a creamy mouthfeel. They mention a lot of super modernist tools in this recipe like homogenizers, and pacojets, and colloid mills, but I've made something very similar to this myself for an ICSA with just a blender, an immersion blender, and an ice cream churn.

tl;dr: You just need ice buffers like fat and sugar to prevent large crystals from forming. (also yet to be mentioned: alcohol works too. This is how lovely frozen margarita mix buckets can be sold as "JUST ADD TEQUILA AND FREEZE". There is enough alcohol and sugar in the solution to prevent large crystals of ice, they have it calibrated such that the addition of 1 bottle or whatever of tequila results in a solution that creates ice crystals of diameter X at Y degrees F)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 17, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, nearly every ice cream has some form of water in it whether that comes from milk or some other liquid. The rate of freezing and fat/sugar ratio are what play the biggest roles in large crystals forming in the mixture.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's kind of insulting that they even call it "blonde" roast, as if any lighter and it's not even really roasted. :rolleyes:

As a testament to how little the "Blonde" moniker means, Starbucks calls the same roast True North up in Canada. I'll admit I like the branding better there, though.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
I'll actually be trying a somewhat lighter roast tomorrow morning. I roasted some green Kona that they sent with my last shipment in an air poppet. It's the Presto "Pop lite" which doesn't have the directional blower, but rather just a screen on the bottom. This meant I had to agitate it the whole time, but it definitely started to pop. The first batch tripped the thermostat a little early, but then residual heat seemed to finish it up. I probably would have gone perhaps 30 sec. or a minute longer, but decided to let it go.

On the second batch (both were about 1/3 cup green) the therm tripped WAY early, so the half-roasted beans sat in the measuring cup for a few minutes while the machine cooled down. I was surprised at the sweet smell of the half-roasted beans. This time the beans were even less ready, in the middle of popping when the therm tripped, but I figured the back and forth heating and cooling would add another strange variable, so I stopped. I mixed the two together, and then compared to a professional roast, and am pleasantly surprised. Lighter, but not dramatically so, and reasonably consistent. I'll find out tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow I'm going to order some green beans, as well as tinker with that popper to disable that thermostat.

PS- thanks for suggestion on grind size. I gave the adjustment a full twist finer and the coffee clearly tastes better. Fuller.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
East Bay goons: Rockridge's Bica Coffeshop is holding its 3rd anniversary today so if you want free coffee/Verve's Guatemalan espresso you should stop by.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought some roasted Ethiopian beans from Counter Culture and they do a really good job. I wonder how profitable it is to ship beans from North Carolina to a city already saturated with coffee.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Underroasted:

These are the beans I roasted the other day when I had difficulty with the popper. I tried to make a cup in my aeropress with these beans and it was an adventure. First, they were really difficult to grind. I have a hand grinder (still on the fence about whether to get a $350 dollar grinder or $100, or $150?...) and these were almost leathery. It was a real chore to grind them. What's funny is that when I first poured them out and looked at them, they didn't look that bad. It was only until I compared them to a "real" roast that I noticed they weren't as dark as they should be.

In any case then I brewed a cup, using approx. 180-190 degree water, letting it brew for a little over a minute. What I got was a very interesting beverage. It was still coffee, but it was unlike any coffee I have ever had. It's almost like it was sweet, with absolutely no bitterness, and so it wasn't exactly BAD, but it was just weird tasting and not something I would want to drink every day. It's hard to describe without the developed vocabulary - yet another thing I'm going to have to learn...

In any case, this just wasn't going to work, so I went online and figured out how to modify the popper to make it so the thermostat didn't shut it off mid-roast. Basically when you take it apart, you can see this thing that has a strip of metal with a dimple in it, my guess is that it's a bimetallic strip that will flex up at a certain temperature causing the contact to separate, shutting the popper off. I used a needle nose pliers to bend it so that it can't flex - so now it will not shut itself off. (Note - I made sure my wife was OK with wrecking the popper - and I also wrote "UNSAFE - DO NOT USE" on it with a Sharpie so the kids don't try to make popcorn or something later) Now the biggest problem is beans flying out the top, so I will have to get some soup cans or really go all out and get a kerosene lantern thing....

Anyway, with the beans I had left, I re-roasted them in two batches. Here is a pic between batches, to see the comparison:
Comparison:

Here's the final with both batches:
Final

I'm going to let them outgas for a day and try a cup tomorrow. I'll report back...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For any SF-based hipster coffee snobs, Four Barrel is apparently giving away free coffee today for their fifth anniversary.

Whether this means that you head over there right away or avoid it all day like the plague is up to you.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

withak posted:

For any SF-based hipster coffee snobs, Four Barrel is apparently giving away free coffee today for their fifth anniversary.

Whether this means that you head over there right away or avoid it all day like the plague is up to you.

Guess I'll hit up Ritual instead today.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anyone have any roaster recommendations in/around Denver? Or should I just go back to mail-order?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Did a cupping in Santa Monica of coffee processed three ways--dry, semiwashed, and washed. (It was Aida Battile's Finca Kilimanjaro)

Must say that dry aka natural is my favorite processing technique. Washed tastes kind of boring by comparison to the complex acidic and bright flavors in dry-processed coffee. It's just a shame that they're harder to find.

Captain Briney
Jan 5, 2009

This is my life partner and crappy upholstery.

Hauki posted:

Anyone have any roaster recommendations in/around Denver? Or should I just go back to mail-order?

I hear Novo coffee roasters are great, but haven't tried them personally. http://novocoffee.com/

If you check them out, let us know how it turns out!

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Did a cupping in Santa Monica of coffee processed three ways--dry, semiwashed, and washed. (It was Aida Battile's Finca Kilimanjaro)

Must say that dry aka natural is my favorite processing technique. Washed tastes kind of boring by comparison to the complex acidic and bright flavors in dry-processed coffee. It's just a shame that they're harder to find.

Natural processed coffees all taste extremely similar regardless of origin and varietal. Washed coffees are cleaner with nicer sweetness and they certainly have more complex acidity. What's a shame is that so many roasters push Naturals and even ask farmers to specifically process coffees in this way instead of washing them: natural geishas and the natural bufcafe are examples.

e: In essence you are tasting the processing and not the coffee. It's akin to people loving the bold smoky flavor of an oily dark roast, you taste the roast not the coffee.

Fino Martini fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 20, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fino Martini posted:

Natural processed coffees all taste extremely similar regardless of origin and varietal. Washed coffees are cleaner with nicer sweetness and they certainly have more complex acidity. What's a shame is that so many roasters push Naturals and even ask farmers to specifically process coffees in this way instead of washing them: natural geishas and the natural bufcafe are examples.

e: In essence you are tasting the processing and not the coffee. It's akin to people loving the bold smoky flavor of an oily dark roast, you taste the roast not the coffee.

Disagree. I find dry processed coffees present themselves more boldly on the palate specifically in the acidy notes. I greatly prefer African dry processed coffees to washed. Washed coffees are a lot cleaner on the palate for sure, but to me, they are definitely more bland overall compared to their dry counterparts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Briney posted:

I hear Novo coffee roasters are great, but haven't tried them personally. http://novocoffee.com/

If you check them out, let us know how it turns out!
Cool, I'll definitely give it a shot. Only have about 4 oz. of Kenya left, so I'll be needing some fairly soon. I was sort of interested in trying out the subscription thing for a bit just to sample everything they have to offer, but... it's only 12 oz. of coffee per month, and it's more expensive than just buying the beans in 12 oz. increments.

In any case, I'm sure I'll stop by in the next couple days.

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Disagree. I find dry processed coffees present themselves more boldly on the palate specifically in the acidy notes. I greatly prefer African dry processed coffees to washed. Washed coffees are a lot cleaner on the palate for sure, but to me, they are definitely more bland overall compared to their dry counterparts.

They taste like funky, dirty, fermented fruit and that flavor from the processing is certainly "bold". Your preference is essentially the same as someone who prefers the bold flavor of steak drowned in teriyaki sauce to the flavor of a well seasoned steak. Washed Ethiopians are not bland and have some of the most beautiful complexity that exists in coffee.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fino Martini posted:

Your preference is essentially the same as someone who prefers the bold flavor of steak drowned in teriyaki sauce to the flavor of a well seasoned steak.

lol, you could make the same argument in reverse so, good jerb I guess.

You know who liked washed processed coffees? Hitler.

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol, you could make the same argument in reverse so, good jerb I guess.

You know who liked washed processed coffees? Hitler.

e: nevermind

Fino Martini fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 20, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If saying that the fermentation results in uniform product regardless of origin, then by the same logic, all beer tastes the same. All cheese, all wine, all vinegar, everything ever fermented all tastes the same regardless of terroir or constituent ingredients.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Fino Martini posted:

They taste like funky, dirty, fermented fruit and that flavor from the processing is certainly "bold". Your preference is essentially the same as someone who prefers the bold flavor of steak drowned in teriyaki sauce to the flavor of a well seasoned steak. Washed Ethiopians are not bland and have some of the most beautiful complexity that exists in coffee.

This is the single worst coffee analogy I have ever read.

That analogy would be spot on for someone who puts a bunch of cream and sugar in their coffee, but not the difference in processing. A much more apt description would be grilling vs broiling.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fino Martini posted:

That's funny, a barista at G&B / go get em tiger told me the same exact thing. Perhaps you are right, since this Aida Battle Finca Kilimanjaro is BOTH the only Latin American coffee I've really liked AND the only dry processed Latin American coffee I've had.

More testing required..

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Heat gun question here. I know a lot of you guys are roasting with 1200W guns, are any of you using something like this? It's a ~1700W Wagner with a blower function and high/low heat via the louvers on the side. I bought it thinking that the blower function would be great for cooling the beans at the end of the roast.

Anyway, I'm finding that it's hard to get an even roast without scorching the outside of my beans on high and closer to low small batch roasts take around 30 minutes instead of 15-20 :negative:

Is this gun going to be exceptionally difficult to use or do I just need more practice? For the record I'm using either a 1qt or 2qt bowl depending on the amount of beans per batch and stirring with a small wisk - the wisk seems to do a better job of stirring the beans than a wooden spoon.

Oh, also, the Burundi Kirimiro Teka from sweetmarias is amazing, I'm really enjoying the batch I got with my sampler.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've got a question for those of you who use a Clever Coffee Dripper regularly.

I've been used to press pot coffee for awhile. I use a pretty dang coarse grind (35-37 on my Baratza Encore) for it and I have enjoyed the results.

I recently got a CCD and I've used a fairly fine grind for it (about 16 on my Baratza) but I'm still getting a sour, weak cup.

I'm using 24grams of ground coffee to 12oz of water at 205*. I pre-rinse the filter to try to get rid of paper filter taste. I pour the water over the coffee, stir it a bit. I let it sit for 2 minutes covered, stir it again, and let it sit for 3 more minutes and then I plop it on top of my mug.

I really enjoy how easy it is to use, and I really like having less/no sludge in my coffee, but the flavor is so dramatically different from my press coffee that I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, it feels really under-extracted.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? What could I do better?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Here's my ccd technique:

I've had my CCD for months now, trying to find the proper technique and grind size to perfect my cup.. came across a post on Sweet Maria's forums that has me closer than ever!

What's different from what I was doing: slightly finer grind, second mark from the right on the FINE setting on a Capresso and WAY less stirring on draw down (none actually).

Less stirring cured my stalling issues too, it drains all the way now!

quote:

-fine grind, on the fine end of filter-drip grind, but not espresso grind for sure.
-20 grams coffee
-350 grams hot water
-3 minute steep until drain, 4:30 to 5:00 until last water drains out of coffee
-cover immediately with a plate
-lift plate and stir at 1:00
-as mentioned, start draining at 3:00

You can see his stir technique in this video here, he just stirs the top a bit at 1 min into the steep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-wyjaCPj8

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I use a Baratza Encore (at 19) and CCD everyday at work. 23g coffee to about 120z of water, pre-wet (but not rinse, I have no sink). I would suggest letting the coffee brew a bit more if you feel it is under-extracted. If you feel like the grounds are not being sufficiently wet, you can put a little bit of water in at the bottom when you pre-wet, add a little coffee, pour the rest of the water, and add the rest of the coffee.

You might also just like a different type of beans for a different brewing process.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Another thing worth mentioning its that while the CCD is easy to use, it still requires experimentation to get your ideal cup! Once you understand how all the

Edit: also the filtropa filters from SM's made a huge difference in my brew.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 22, 2013

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

o muerte posted:

Heat gun question here. I know a lot of you guys are roasting with 1200W guns, are any of you using something like this? It's a ~1700W Wagner with a blower function and high/low heat via the louvers on the side. I bought it thinking that the blower function would be great for cooling the beans at the end of the roast.

Anyway, I'm finding that it's hard to get an even roast without scorching the outside of my beans on high and closer to low small batch roasts take around 30 minutes instead of 15-20 :negative:

Is this gun going to be exceptionally difficult to use or do I just need more practice? For the record I'm using either a 1qt or 2qt bowl depending on the amount of beans per batch and stirring with a small wisk - the wisk seems to do a better job of stirring the beans than a wooden spoon.

Oh, also, the Burundi Kirimiro Teka from sweetmarias is amazing, I'm really enjoying the batch I got with my sampler.

How's the power in your house/apartment? Using an extension cord or power strip at all? Inadequate power (amps, I guess?) will take longer as the gun doesn't get as hot as it could. I run my 1200W Wagner off a 20A circuit in the garage and I'm done in the 10-15m range (but I do pretty small batches... maybe half a cup usually)

For cooling, if you have a shop-vac and a spare cardboard box - cut a hole that will hold a wire mesh strainer, and another hole somewhere else on the box to poke the vacuum hose into - cools down beans really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Just moved to Philadelphia: can I get goon recommendations for good roasters (picking up or mail) in the downtown area or near UPenn?