Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I literally almost never go anything but balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Or you can switch your clan's disposition as the situations dictate. :eng101:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

I literally almost never go anything but balanced.

I usually start balanced and switch to peace in the mid to endgame. Makes it easier to survive the early game if you can throw a couple points into war magic when you need them, and the diplomacy and trade buffs are great for when you've got the money to make everyone love you.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
^^
Even easier to handle the early game by massively out producing the other guy. You aren't going to win many fights until the midgame anyway, and all that magic does better work producing more food, friends and goods.

Better to start Peace and switch to War once you have the loot and magic stockpiles.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
When I've tried Hard, I've always been blasted by the Colymar coming in and demanding tribute from me in year one. It's a terrible way to start the resettlement. How do you typically handle that problem?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Depends on your relative situation in the area. Generally speaking you just pay them off as cheaply as possible and hunt for the banner so that you can actually win when they attack you. Then they'd knock it off.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Early game hard mode you are the weak whipping boy clan.

This is important to remember. Be a sneaky gently caress, be ok with doing some 'un-Orlanthi' things, hell be ok with breaking tradition - magic is easy come easy go, getting a war with dragonnewts or some crap is loving awful. The focus is "not losing," not "winning." Keep your head down and inch towards daylight.

veekie posted:

Depends on your relative situation in the area. Generally speaking you just pay them off as cheaply as possible and hunt for the banner so that you can actually win when they attack you. Then they'd knock it off.

The banner is almost always the turning point for me in every way. That said, with Colymar i suck it up and am poor for a while until they give up on beating me up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Man, the endgame is so luck-based. I had to savescum like 5 times to get those loving tribes to agree to build a town, with a tribal queen at least renowned in any vaguely relevant stat.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Town is tricky, but you do get retries. It's the final proving to the Feathered Horse Queen that was hard.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

What the gently caress did you fall asleep during Healer class or something Dangmag?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's that portrait, man. Never trust a Chalana Arroyian with that portrait.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That portrait got lost from the Humakti list I'm sure.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I guess that's one way to get into the running.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I suppose she was really really good at it. A fan of Uleria?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, I learned last night that if your tribal king/queen dies, an election is called even if you have Chalana Arroy resurrect them on your very next action. It's probably a bug, but I choose to believe that some Lankor Mhy initiate looked over the precedents and discovered that kings ruling until death/retirement does not, in fact, have an "unless they're resurrected" clause.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 17, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
My king was taken as a thrall by horse spawn and they had an election even if you go and rescue him.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Haifisch posted:

I guess that's one way to get into the running.

Support Voskandora early, and report back on how she does as Chief.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I had to laugh because this is true and a new response I've never seen before. Of course our Elmali is telling us to support this ugly dude.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does that guy ever manage to pull it off?

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Is this set in the 2nd or 3rd age?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
3rd age all the way. Conservatism and Tea Bagger level of hatred of the different is the proper mindset for KoDP. :v:

To be fair, Glorantha is a way crazier world than our own world. The vicious conservatism that dominates the world (save for the Lunar Empire!) should be understood in the context of just a few generations ago people were making a mechanical god in an attempt to overthrow the real gods who actually exist; moreover, these same people were entering the realm of myth/storytelling and altering reality there, and therefore reality as we know it, to suit their own hosed up ends.

Really, every choice you make in KoDP should lead to your clan's/tribe's advancement at the detriment of outsiders (BUT NOT THE DUCKS).

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Project1 posted:

Is this set in the 2nd or 3rd age?

KoDP is third age. There haven't been any video games set in the second as far as I'm aware. The only second age stuff we've had has been various books for the tabletop game RuneQuest, primarily by Mongoose Publishing. I gather a lot of that is non-canonical nowadays.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

BlindGuy posted:

Haystack posted:

So, this is only tangentially related to the thread, but I figured that if anyone would be interested in experiencing playing the RPG this game is based off of, it would be you lot.

Anyway, Jeff Richard, the editor-in-chief of the company that own Glorantha's IP, is running two games of Heroquest this Friday and Saturday at Gencon*. Because the game was listed very, very late, there's still slots open for people to join. So, if you're in a position to go, give it some consideration.

1. Hounds of Forbidden Lore – Saturday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Ralios in Glorantha. You are trouble-shooters for the ruler of the city-state of Tortun. She orders you to steal a forbidden codex of lore from a rival sorcerer, and it gets deadly fast.
  2. An Age of Wolves – Friday 1:00-5:00pm Setting: Wolf Pirates. You are a shipload of Wolf Pirates, sailing the seas, looking for things to plunder. A sandbox adventure on the seas of Glorantha!

I'm playing in the former game despite knowing jack all about the system.

* A big tabletop game convention currently running in Indianapolis
This is yet another in my long list of reasons I wish I were at GenCon this week. Do let us know how it goes, if you care to.

I ended up playing in both games, and both of them were fantastic.

In the Sea Wolves game, we played as a bunch of notVikings prowling around in an archipelago (which turned out to be the Godlearners old stomping ground). We raided a ship and learned the location an old Godlearner treasure of immense value: the Abiding Book, their most holy text and basis of their power. We proceeded to raid the hell out the ruin where it was located, fighting off and defeating a 16 foot tall animated statue by collapsing a sizable chunk of the building – described in loving detail as a Hagia-Sophia-eqe wonder of the world – on top of it. The Abiding Book turned out to be a massive pillar of stone completely covered in eldrich runes, and was implied to contain all of the information in the world if you read it right. So, naturally, we took random rubbings from it, looted everything that was shiny, and sold the lot of it to the nearby nation of immortal superpowered sociopath wizards, thus heavily contributing to the coming apocalyptic Hero Wars :v:

In the Hounds of Forbidden Lore, we were ordered to steal tablets containing Arkati secrets from a rival city state. After some travel shenanigans, we arrived at the rival city and managed to convince the local tyrant that we were a bunch of Arkati scholars there to write a great treatise praising him and his new artifacts. We get shown to the tablets, and quickly figure out that they are a precise pictographic guide on how to perform the heroquest that rescued Arkat from the underworld. After some out-of-character bickering about how to proceed, our Humakti battle priest kind of jumped the gun by abruptly dousing our attendant guard in burning lamp oil. Chaos ensues, and we only have scant minutes before the entire palace guard comes down on us, backed up by the omnicidal demonic sorcerer that owns the city. Everyone is panicking, and is getting ready to bolt with the tablets when our meek Arkati scholar does something that no one expected: he starts enacting the ritual on the tablets. This is, I should stress, the ritual that starts with wrenching open a gate to the underworld, and which is easily the most dangerous and powerful quest in the entirety of Glorantha. One lucky roll later, and we officially escape the palace, and have begun our own personal Underworld Quest.

At this point, we were running short on time, so Jeff decided to resolve the entire quest in a single epic test using what we each considered our character's core defining attribute. So it was that the Hukumati priest used his knowledge of the Darkness rune to lead us to the end of the path, but could not bear to leave the land of his master, and so stayed behind to join the armies of Humakt's Dead. The Arkati scholar stayed true to his nature, following the instructions on the tablets religiously; his faith was rewarded by escape and enlightenment. Our privateer became one with his motion rune, and thus became the underworld's first tourist. Our experimental sorcerer was completely used to his life being a series of escalating catastrophes, and so simply adjusted as he always did and came out the end changed but intact. Finally, my character, a scholastic monk, had his every quality slowly but surely stripped away by the omnipresent Dark. At the end, there was nothing left but the diminishing flame of his pure naive soul, which was at last snuffed by the final impenetrable darkness.

tl;dr: The games rocked, Heroquest rocks, Jeff rocks, everything rocks.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 20, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
What's this "Thunder Brothers" seat on the tribal ring? And does the tribal ring have any effect once the tribe is made, or does it just affect negotiations?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Project1 posted:

What's this "Thunder Brothers" seat on the tribal ring? And does the tribal ring have any effect once the tribe is made, or does it just affect negotiations?

It's the name given to all of Orlanth's thanes. The only ones who really come up in this game are Elmal and Vinga I think.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

nutranurse posted:

To be fair, Glorantha is a way crazier world than our own world. The vicious conservatism that dominates the world (save for the Lunar Empire!) should be understood in the context of just a few generations ago people were making a mechanical god in an attempt to overthrow the real gods who actually exist; moreover, these same people were entering the realm of myth/storytelling and altering reality there, and therefore reality as we know it, to suit their own hosed up ends.

Don't forget that the people entering the magic world eventually broke it, drowned a load of islands and made the ocean impossible to sail on. Or the other people trying to turn everyone into dragons, who eventually got everyone killed by dragons.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Haystack posted:

I ended up playing in both games, and both of them were fantastic.

[awesome games]

tl;dr: The games rocked, Heroquest rocks, Jeff rocks, everything rocks.
Thank you for sharing. That was a great read, I can only imagine how playing it must have been!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dauntasa posted:

It's the name given to all of Orlanth's thanes. The only ones who really come up in this game are Elmal and Vinga I think.

How could you forget Vadrus, chief of the Hurt Everything Clan?

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Well, another new version with minor bug fixes is out. More importantly for the thread, David has announced a scene design contest. I'm sure at least some of you have ideas you'd like to see implemented in the next version.

http://a-sharp.com/kodp/sceneContest.html

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

veekie posted:

It's why on hard you'd probably want Balanced or Peace. War is just...sad.

I've won as every tribe on hard and war was easily the easiest. I eventually got bored of raiding all the time when I had like 40 thanes and more food and cows and loot that I could ever go through, it became something I just did mechanically. If you raid 4 times a cycle with max war magic invested, it adds up very, very fast. I don't know why people say war is the hardest tribe, I had a harder time with a peace tribe.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Janissary Hop posted:

I've won as every tribe on hard and war was easily the easiest. I eventually got bored of raiding all the time when I had like 40 thanes and more food and cows and loot that I could ever go through, it became something I just did mechanically. If you raid 4 times a cycle with max war magic invested, it adds up very, very fast. I don't know why people say war is the hardest tribe, I had a harder time with a peace tribe.

The thing with war clans is that every season you don't raid is a wasted season, and most people aren't willing to play a completely berserk clan.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
War is the hardest to start with. You need Cows, Goods and Friends to clear the early game. On Hard you have fewer of these.

War pays off well in the late game, but you can stomp the late game anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

With a peace tribe, you might not be able to put points into war magic, but if you go all-in on farms and trade, you'll have a steady, stable supply of food, horses, and blessings, enough to field an actual army of 60-70 thanes all decked out in every combat blessing available. Peace and balanced clans can field armies, war has a harder time of it. War also has a harder time turning their war blessings into useful other things.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

my dad posted:

The thing with war clans is that every season you don't raid is a wasted season, and most people aren't willing to play a completely berserk clan.

This is an idea I find kind of hard to swallow. War clan doesn't have to mean "raid all the time." I always took it to mean "raid more than a balanced clan would." I wouldn't go so far as to say time spent not raiding was wasted, there are obviously other things you need to do.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I found peace the easiest tbh but that's because i'm a horrible coward who constantly picked "survival evade/skirmish" so that i could put no magic into war without suffering any consequences and just focus on Harvest Moon/CowLARP.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

:stare:

A Heroic Bargaining Trickster made off with 69 cattle for free, very nice

Also yes my chief is a Barntarite.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mighty Dicktron posted:

"Don't you think those cows are funny looking?"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm pretty sure that was actually a cattle raid, the Blue Spruces were just too dumb to realize.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Wasn't there a contest to make up your own event?

"X, your trickster comes back from a visit of clan _, with [50..100] cattle and proclaims his/her success in trading while the issarites of your clan distinctly remember he left your tula empty-handed. You're sure there is going to be some reaction from clan _, and it might be prudent to patch things up before things get out of hand."

1. Keep the cattle Farmers happier, clan mood happier. A year later clan _ declares feud or mood towards you sours a lot.
2. Return all the cattle Carls unhappy. clan _ mood gets better towards you.
3. Return some of cattle (specify how much) Clan _ mood happier/sours towards you, depending on the number of cattle returned
4. Brag about your trickster swindling clan _ Clan _ mood sours a lot, might declare feud year later. High bargaining for small reputation gain, massive drop on failure.
5. Gift clan _ Weaponthanes unhappy. Clan _ mood happier/sours towards you, depending on the number of cattle returned

Magic: X used Erumali magic to get those cows, it will not last. (advice 2,3,5)
Custom: We can keep the cows, but _ might not see it that way (advice 1,5)
Combat: X got the cattle fair and square (advice 1,3)
Leadership: _ will get unhappy if we keep the cattle (advice 3,5)
Animals: These are not healthy cattle (advice 2,3)
Plants: We're going to face retribution for this (advice none)
Bargaining: X is in the right (advice 1,4)
Trickster: Look at what I brought home! (advice 4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's a similar event already, your trickster cheats at gambling with a nearby clan and wins 100 food or so. You can choose what to do about it, including bragging.

• Locked thread