Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gorau posted:

Not really. I'm all for infrastructure spending. However I'd rather the infrastructure spending be spent with a modicum of intelligence. You're talking about building a hundred billion dollar transportation project that will probably only see 8 or 9 thousand passengers a day due to the fact that much slower than air travel for the long range between Calgary-Toronto. If you're going to competitively price it compared to air travel I seriously doubt you'd even manage to pay for track maintenance. That ignores the cost of debt financing (a minimum of a billion dollars a year). So the project will lose money by the bucketful. Then you have to look at the opportunity costs of the hundred billion dollars. That funding would probably finish the LRT and subway projects in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto, which would see hundreds of thousands of additional riders per day, and would come much closer to breaking even than any long range high speed rail project. Which one do you think would have more of a positive social and environmental impact?

Well said. I could probably be convinced that HSR could work in the east, but it'll be a century or more before there's enough people in the west for it to make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

dethslayer666 posted:

A Calgary-Edmonton-Fort McMurray line would probably see a lot of traffic. I'm sure the oil sands companies would support it, you might even be able to get Suncor to pay part of the bill. Not a chance in hell.

Well they may not pay part of the bill to construct, but they will swoop in at the very end and buy the naming rights so they can tell everyone that they supported it from day 1.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Ontario SIU in "not completely useless" shocker

CP24 posted:

A Toronto police constable who fatally shot a man on a streetcar has been charged with second-degree murder, Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit says.

An arrest warrant was issued Monday morning for Const. James Forcillo, who has not been arrested yet, the SIU said in a news release.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait for my skeptical optimism about this case to be crushed by reality. Well, at least he's getting charged. Maybe there's a chance he won't be able to weasel his way out of it what with the clear video evidence.

I suppose I'm most curious to see how the 10-odd police witnesses to the murder react.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

^^If they're smart, they'll stick to what they know. "It's possible the victim had a weapon that was not visible from my vantage point, but I personally did not see a threat so I did not fire."

As much as it sucks to convict a guy in the media instead of in the courtroom, the videotape and the analysis that followed made it pretty much impossible for even the most defective of muppets to gently caress up that investigation.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Considering they've only ever charged 7 officers since the SIU's inception, and have secured no convictions, I doubt it will result in anything other than a plea down to manslaughter or an acquittal.

However, nice to see them going through the motions atleast.

Rhobot Mk. II fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 19, 2013

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
With the kind of snowfall and temperature difference we get in canada, I think it would be hilarious to see us build one of these overpriced HSR.

I think we would be better served by some kind of suspended system, like this monorail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AvQGJExago

I mean this basically ignores weather.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 19, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

However, nice to see them going through the motions atleast.

It's a testament to the awful situation WRT accountability for police violence in Canada that I (at least) am prepared to see even this as a good sign, yes.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Coylter posted:

With the kind of snowfall and temperature difference we get in canada,
Speaking of which, what is the longevity of these Miami-esque glass tower condos Toronto is infatuated with?
I can't imagine they're energy efficient at all, and the heating/cooling must put a ton of stress on all that glass.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Speaking of which, what is the longevity of these Miami-esque glass tower condos Toronto is infatuated with?
I can't imagine they're energy efficient at all, and the heating/cooling must put a ton of stress on all that glass.

I've heard that they'll require complete refits as soon as 15-20 years, as per The Star I believe.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I've heard that they'll require complete refits as soon as 15-20 years, as per The Star I believe.

I really can't wait to see what our condo fees are like when that happens. I'm sure you'll see a lot of people right on the edge of their total possible leverage having to sell their places.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Looks like Harper wants to flip the off switch again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/08/19/pol-harper-commons-prorogation.html

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
And we are prorogued until October, thanks again to our dutiful Senate for once again protecting Canadians from their elected representatives foolish attempts to protect transgender rights.

Pinterest Mom posted:

On transrights: Only government bills are affected by prorogation, PMBs are automatically brought back at the stage they were in before prorogation. C-279 will still be deemed to have passed third reading in the House in the next parliamentary session.
Thank goodness, of course we still have to wait on the Senate to deign to do anything on the Bill. Lebreton leaving might be a good sign, she seemed particularly happy to sit on the Bill until 2015.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 19, 2013

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

This prorogation isn't a parliamentary manoeuvre to avoid a confidence vote or impede the work of a committee or anything sinister. The government is just quite simply halfway through its mandate and needs time off to recalibrate its agenda. And it's just, what, a few weeks off? This isn't some Christy Clark move where they prorogued until 2015 or whatever.

On transrights: Only government bills are affected by prorogation, PMBs are automatically brought back at the stage they were in before prorogation. C-279 will still be deemed to have passed third reading in the House in the next parliamentary session.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
So the mystery oil spill at Cold Lake is not in fact contained as the company stated in July. This has been going on for weeks. The most concerning thing is this quote from the Alberta Energy Regulator:

quote:

we do not have the technical data or evidence to verify what that cause might be – what the cause or causes might be. We will determine that through our investigation process.

The spill has been ongoing for nearly a month and they don't know why. The company had a similar leak in 2009 that is also of uncertain causes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a regulator doesn't have the capacity to actually fulfill their mandate, but it still blows my mind.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

I don't think the glass is in good repair to begin with, either, given that its been falling off a number of those towers at a semi-regular clip.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pinterest Mom posted:

This prorogation isn't a parliamentary manoeuvre to avoid a confidence vote or impede the work of a committee or anything sinister. The government is just quite simply halfway through its mandate and needs time off to recalibrate its agenda. And it's just, what, a few weeks off? This isn't some Christy Clark move where they prorogued until 2015 or whatever.

It needs time off to investigate who else in their party is going to once again gently caress up their reputation.

Hopefully they spend some time finding that missing billion too. That'd be nice.

I'm sure they'll just spend the time making more Canadian Economic Action commercials. Maybe one's with ziplines.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Coylter posted:

With the kind of snowfall and temperature difference we get in canada, I think it would be hilarious to see us build one of these overpriced HSR.

I think we would be better served by some kind of suspended system, like this monorail.

Oh gosh - looks like Lyle Lanley visited Montreal after his Ogdenville visit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqVdQYC44Y

In all seriousness though - I felt like a downer pointing out all the flaws in that original Montreal monorail pitch to my parents who showed it to me.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Paper Mac posted:

I don't think the glass is in good repair to begin with, either, given that its been falling off a number of those towers at a semi-regular clip.

What, like, just falling off the sides? Because that sounds phenomenally hazardous. A sheet of plate glass can kill the unbelievable poo poo out of somebody with any kind of velocity behind it; I don't even want to imagine what would happen to the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be standing in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time when something ten stories up slipped loose.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It needs time off to investigate who else in their party is going to once again gently caress up their reputation.

At this point it would probably be more efficient simply to investigate who isn't going to do that. ~Our Government~ has been such a comedy of errors lately.

vvv :psypop: vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Yeah, falling off the side of the condo onto the sidewalk (or whatever) is below. I'm not sure how frequent it is but I have heard about it a few times.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Angry Diplomat posted:

What, like, just falling off the sides? Because that sounds phenomenally hazardous. A sheet of plate glass can kill the unbelievable poo poo out of somebody with any kind of velocity behind it; I don't even want to imagine what would happen to the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be standing in exactly the wrong place at exactly the wrong time when something ten stories up slipped loose.

Yup. It's already happening about once every couple of months, and I expect that rate to increase as the weather wears these buildings down.

Also, some attribution for my previous 15-yr failure prediction:

quote:

Many of the glass condominium towers filling up the Toronto skyline will fail 15 to 25 years after they’re built, perhaps even earlier, and will need retrofits costing millions of dollars, say some industry experts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/13/tor-glass-walled-condos.html

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Just tear 'em down and build new ones every couple decades, this creates jobs in the construction sector. Sheesh, don't you leftards know anything about economics :eng99:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As someone who really likes the appearance of all glass buildings, this news saddens me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Brisbane had a few buildings a few years ago where some panes of glass randomly fell into the lobbies of the buildings but luckily it always happened at like 5am so no one was there to be crushed by panes of falling glass.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
That CBC article is a bit suspect, a couple of things I know from working with LEED is that some condominiums do have energy efficiency ratings and standards. It's just that it's up to the consumer to ask for it. It really shouldn't be. The exchange for building permits and stuff like that should be an accurate environmental assessment.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

As someone who really likes the appearance of all glass buildings,
You're a monster.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brutalist architecture all the way, for everything ever. Even Especially my tomb.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My problem with Robarts is that it isn't 200 stories tall with a spire permanently shrouded in storm clouds.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My problem with Robarts is that it isn't 200 stories tall with a spire permanently shrouded in storm clouds.

That'd be one scary loving turkey.

And turkeys are already pretty loving scary.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kafka Esq. posted:

That CBC article is a bit suspect, a couple of things I know from working with LEED is that some condominiums do have energy efficiency ratings and standards. It's just that it's up to the consumer to ask for it. It really shouldn't be. The exchange for building permits and stuff like that should be an accurate environmental assessment.

It's not just the CBC article though.

Scan the headlines on the first page:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=toronto+condo+glass

In other news, I just tangled on twitter with David Keam, Police Services Board member in Winnipeg. Why they're letting a guy who owns mattress stores on the Advisory Board is predictably puzzling.

e: Oh, and the singer from Bran Van 3000 is running for the NDP in Bourassa :laffo:
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/08/19/bran-van-3000-singer-stephane-moraille-running-for-ndp-in-quebec-by-election/

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 19, 2013

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

PittTheElder posted:

As someone who really likes the appearance of all glass buildings, this news saddens me.

As a big fan of brutalism, I say bring it on :getin:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

HookShot posted:

Brisbane had a few buildings a few years ago where some panes of glass randomly fell into the lobbies of the buildings but luckily it always happened at like 5am so no one was there to be crushed by panes of falling glass.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2009/07/17/mtl-woman-killed745.html

It doesn't just happen with glass.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Please everybody re-read this post. Some of the posting in this thread is downright ridiculous.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fine-able Offense posted:

Please everybody re-read this post. Some of the posting in this thread is downright ridiculous.

This country is downright ridiculous, have you not been paying attention?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Brutalist architecture all the way, for everything ever. Even Especially my tomb.

I've always been a big fan of the Confederation Centre of the Arts in my hometown. Pretty brutalist and super contrasts with the Province House right beside it.

It has virtual canyons the winds howl through.

Kintarooooo
Feb 10, 2004
SA > Fark > xians.

Coylter posted:

I'm pretty sure I would not want to waste our already stretched tax dollars supporting something that seems to have come from the intelligence of an Eastern Quebecer from Sec2 trying to sell this "idea" which quite literally is a ripoff from the Simpsons.

The smell test for this is to actually fund/build a prototype, let the private sector do what it says it does best: spend its own money to make a) a circular test to prove that it could function 24/7 in all seasons; b) a linear test to prove that it won't vibrate the gently caress out of itself at speeds of 250 km/h (or less). There's a problem with bridges bending themselves out of shape given a certain load... I wouldn't want to test that theory on Trens-Quebec cars potentially falling onto a highway crushing the living poo poo out of hundreds of cars below.

Scam, unrealized prototype, pipe dream. I choose to think that this isn't the former, but if you say you're going to revolutionize something, you loving do it, you don't build facebook pages and simulations aimed to lull a population to disburse from the public chequebook.

Otherwise, a partially buried TGV line is the more sane option. If this *thing* was as good as it says it is, they would either complement the TGV network or compete with it. Oh wait, they can't have that, it would ruin their profit margin...

(parasitic) Capitalism at work. Let them impoverish some other government. Ending their video with "Suspendu au Québec" is also a lovely idea, the only other suspended thing we have in Quebec are construction companies found guilty of or self-admitted to collusion/corruption. Poor image choice on their part.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Looks like he's trying to dodge the expenses scandal this time. It's amazing that the system enables this kind of behaviour, it reminds me of silent filibuster abuse in the U.S. congress.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Just gonna leave these here, in case any of you need to calibrate your hate circuits:

Canadian Forces to reduce ‘unattainable’ targets for recruitment of women, visible minorities
Matt Gurney: You can’t set diversity targets for patriotism

:allears:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 20, 2013

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Half the city of Montreal is about to crumble down. The stadium is in ruins, there was a sinkhole swallowing 2 cars at Trudeau airport and you better close your eyes if you ever want to feel safe on the Turcot exchange.

And better news yet, at least 3 towers getting built downtown (2 condos towers and one office tower) withing 2 miles of where I work are getting build out of, you guessed it, glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Who wants to read a new Blatchford article?

...nobody? TOO BAD

Murder charge in Sammy Yatim’s death perhaps not a victory for justice

The World's Worst Canadian, Seriously posted:

Mukherjee also made an astonishing statement. “Right now it is very, very hard to terminate a police officer,” he said. “There are occasions when you say: ‘How in God’s name is this person working here?’ ”

It’s pretty clear that there are many who want a piece of poor Sammy Yatim now that he’s dead and can be made into a cause or useful instrument.

On learning that Const. Forcillo is being charged, the teenager’s sister Sarah tweeted, “Good morning JUSTICE.”

She and her family have been models of restraint throughout this awful time; I don’t begrudge her for a moment of relief, or peace, if that’s what it was.

But appeasing the families of victims, however terrific they may be; quieting the howling mob, however loud their cries; playing to the changing favourites of the public gallery, however much that may suit the agenda of government or agency, such things aren’t conducive to good decision-making.

Worse, the only justice they have anything to do with is the sort preferred by the Queen in Alice in Wonderland. “No! No!” she cried. “Sentence first — verdict afterwards.”

Blatchford is usually one of the first people to crow about "victim's rights". She's seriously contradicting her past views here, and also she's terrible.

• Locked thread