Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I use Google voice, but use two numbers (one is for work). Any third party Google voice app that works as well as the official one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If all you want is the remote wipe and phone location, then it's now part of Google services. https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, I'm actually concerned enough to look for a replacement. Anyway recommendations?

I recently removed Cerberus because I noticed that you had to log in to do anything, which wasn't like that back in the day. Didn't find any apps that really did what Cerberus did back then.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I recently removed Cerberus because I noticed that you had to log in to do anything, which wasn't like that back in the day. Didn't find any apps that really did what Cerberus did back then.

Yeah, I'd gotten Cerberus for free a month or two ago. It was a great coincidence since I'd almost lost my phone not long before that and was furious with myself that I hadn't installed a locator service on it. But, now Google has that aspect pretty much covered and there's nothing else Cerberus really offered that I found all that useful. This was just a push in the "right direction" by making Cerberus a threat, which provoked me to check out the Google service and get rid of Cerberus for good.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ragingsheep posted:

If all you want is the remote wipe and phone location, then it's now part of Google services. https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

I'd like something that does what Cerberus does, like send me all the info if someone puts a new SIM card in, take a picture and send it to me if someone inputs the wrong PIN and so on.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I mute my phone at night, but I would like it to audibly ring if certain people are calling (people in an Address book group, hopefully). There doesn't seem to be a way to do this with the dialer/address book app or via Google Voice.

I think I could set Google Voice to only ring my phone at night if people in a certain group are calling, but then I would have to leave my phone un-muted and it would ring if some one dare call the phone's real number, or send me an email, or anything else...

I can set a profile in Tasker that is active from 10pm to 9am that turns the ringer on, and have the action depend on if the caller is a certain person, but not a certain group. That would require creating way too many exceptions and be a pain to manage.

This seems like it should be a really simple thing. Am I missing something??

I don't know if it's worth switching roms for, but Cyanogenmod's quiet hours feature will let you specify certain numbers to ring through.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

I'd like something that does what Cerberus does, like send me all the info if someone puts a new SIM card in, take a picture and send it to me if someone inputs the wrong PIN and so on.
That app the got rolled into AVG does do the picture thing and the lock thing.

e: I got home and looked it up and it was rolled into Avast, not AVG. Looking at the feature list, Avast does everything you want too and Android Police can't say enough good things about it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 17, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It must feel odd recommending an antivirus app :v:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Use Lookout free until Cerberus get their act in gear?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Cakefool posted:

It must feel odd recommending an antivirus app :v:

More like Find My iPhone but on steroids.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I guess I spoke too soon on the Google Voice text thing. It's still getting all my incoming texts instead of my messaging app. Should I just go ahead and uninstall it at this point?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Rusty! posted:

Use Lookout free until Cerberus get their act in gear?

Lookout doesn't do the SIM card thing, that's the most important feature for me. Looks like Avast does it, but deal lord it's bloated. I guess I'll just have to deal with it, though. Not sure if I can trust Cerberus again.

e: you can uninstall the antivirus app after you set up anti-theft and it still works. Sweet!

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 17, 2013

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
What's a good PDF reader for a Nexus 7? I'm a grad student, so I constantly read a shitload of articles, and I want to use my Nexus while I write to access my library of resources without having to context switch out of emacs on my computer.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Hello I'm on a Canadian Galaxy S4 and using 4.2.2. My contacts+ app isn't displaying images sent via text message. Any ideas?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

booshi posted:

What's a good PDF reader for a Nexus 7? I'm a grad student, so I constantly read a shitload of articles, and I want to use my Nexus while I write to access my library of resources without having to context switch out of emacs on my computer.

I've bounced around a few and Mantano Reader is the one I've settled on for now. Looks good, and performs fairly well too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Cerberus is fixed

quote:

I'm sorry for the one-liner, I was (and am) working round the clock to fix everything and planned to release a statement later.

Anyway, server-side the bug was fixed yesterday. This means that the exploit won't work, and you can safely keep Cerberus (whatever version you have) installed on your device. I know the guy who found the exploit says otherwise, but that's not true. Here is the IMEI number of my Nexus 4: 356489051656994, in case he wants to send a wipe command to the phone and prove me wrong.

An update of the app will be published tomorrow or on Monday, and after that we will release a longer statement. Thanks for your patience.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
e: resolved

Convergence fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 18, 2013

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Is there an app for new music releases like Timbre is to concert dates?

Also thanks to the poster who helped me with the Calendar reminders. Going to the webpage and changing settings fixed it.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 18, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

It sounds more like that article was at least somewhat full of poo poo to begin with.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After name uninstall/reinstall cycle for Google Voice, I can finally get incoming texts on an app other than GV. The problem is that now they come in from unrecognized numbers. For example, I texted my dad, who has a 269 area code, and his response came in to Sliding Messaging with a 617 area code. It seems that GV is still involving itself in my T-Mobile texting somehow. How do I get it to butt the gently caress out?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: n/m I misread your post.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

hooah posted:

After name uninstall/reinstall cycle for Google Voice, I can finally get incoming texts on an app other than GV. The problem is that now they come in from unrecognized numbers. For example, I texted my dad, who has a 269 area code, and his response came in to Sliding Messaging with a 617 area code. It seems that GV is still involving itself in my T-Mobile texting somehow. How do I get it to butt the gently caress out?

This happens lot with my address book tied to Google voice, and its maddening. I'd like to use some GV functions but apparently not all the texting part.

What I need to do is go in to the pc part of GV and see if I can sort out what I want to use and disable the flakey parts.

I'll be watching this reply with interest.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

potentiometer posted:

This happens lot with my address book tied to Google voice, and its maddening. I'd like to use some GV functions but apparently not all the texting part.

What I need to do is go in to the pc part of GV and see if I can sort out what I want to use and disable the flakey parts.

I'll be watching this reply with interest.

The weird thing is everything was working fine for years, starting with Sprint, then moving to Verizon and now T-Mobile. I was using GV just for voicemail, but I can't do that on prepaid T-Mobile. I tried out letting GV handle SMSs, didn't like it, and have had all sorts of trouble disabling it.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Does anyone know why Google Voice has never been pushed out in the UK?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYQobl5xL4

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.bitspin.timely

I'm not usually into ~*clocks*~ but this one is really well made. Not a whole lot of functionality but still worth a shot for the prettiness.

Share token code (if you want to go through that dance instead of just getting the unlock IAP): PR7A-B4FA-DVDJ

dirtyfrog posted:

Probably legal overhead + different pricing structures making it uneconomical.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation of a good camera app to replace the stock one?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Camera FV-5 might be your best bet if you just want more control. (and if it isn't the best bet I'd like to know :) )

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there an app that lets you share your data connection on a phone with a tablet when the phone isn't rooted? I know that I could root my GS3 and turn it into a hotspot, but I'd rather not do that. Looking for something like PDA Net but for tablets (Acer Iconia A500, to be exact)

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hYQobl5xL4

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.bitspin.timely

I'm not usually into ~*clocks*~ but this one is really well made. Not a whole lot of functionality but still worth a shot for the prettiness.

Share token code (if you want to go through that dance instead of just getting the unlock IAP): PR7A-B4FA-DVDJ

Probably legal overhead + different pricing structures making it uneconomical.

Gonna give this a shot, if anyone wants to start a chain my unlock code is A8W2-7J9Q-8HYV

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

booshi posted:

Official Adobe Reader is what I've settled on. Much better than ezPDF.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Full Circle posted:

Gonna give this a shot, if anyone wants to start a chain my unlock code is A8W2-7J9Q-8HYV

Thanks, mine is 1495-2V8J-TJD0

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

dirtyfrog posted:

A smaller market, numerous phone companies to deal with, BT being/ dicks and so on seem likely culprits.

One day maybe though, my fingers are crossed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Flavivirus posted:

Thanks, mine is 1495-2V8J-TJD0
I took this, mine's USYK-FHGT-TQWF

E: I don't much like this at all. Please will someone rip off Gentle Alarm's... er, gentle alarm feature. :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Koush is testing AirCast, which lets you send local videos to your Chromecast.

APK link

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

E: I don't much like this at all. Please will someone rip off Gentle Alarm's... er, gentle alarm feature. :(

I grabbed yours

My key is:

zy85-y01d-5xa6

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

A lot of sources are saying that Google will try to kill this. If they don't, I will jump on a Chrome cast when I can get one. Seems like a good device for when I'm in hotels

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Used that one. Mine's 2KKC-RM3T-1Q5N.

Edit: should have refreshed.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Casyl posted:

nooooo haha

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Heners_UK posted:

A lot of sources are saying that Google will try to kill this. If they don't, I will jump on a Chrome cast when I can get one. Seems like a good device for when I'm in hotels
Just get one anyway, they're cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Casyl posted:

Used this here's mine

RZEJ-Y0AA-6C20

• Locked thread