Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm getting ready for Monday. The Monday when my boss is coming back from 7 days of vacation. 7 days in which she gave me a list of modest products to so. 7 days of which I spent 6 on the phone with our vendor and with our Service Desk because the whole world exploded for reasons unknown, people way above my pay grade got involved, and I had to answer more tickets in a week than I had in the previous month.

Monday. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Comradephate posted:

Usually when I am keeping customers from something they'd rather be doing they'll just say something like "Hey, do you need me on the line? If you want you can just [send me a ticket/give me a call back] once you figure out what the problem is."

I never take offense; in fact I'm happy to have them off the phone once I know what I need to do to get them sorted.

I had a guy call in:

:argh: "Hey I really need to talk to <network engineer> about <ticket ID>."
:science: "Okay, just a moment while I pull that up."
:argh: "Actually I'm about to enter a golf tournament, can you just have him call me?"
:science: "Uh... okay."

Pro tip. If you default to "Can I call you back, I'm about to head into a meeting" it resolves that issue.

Although I can't get around the fact that he called you. If you don't have time, don't call.

That is definitely a ticket that comes in that pissed me off daily. If you don't have time, wait until you do. Stop logging tickets and going somewhere else, especially if you go with "Help me, it doesn't work" for your ticket.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Conversely, when trying to resolve something over the phone that could use 2-way communication - usually this is if someone's not getting the data they expect out of a report and they want to know why. I often could do with them staying on the line for feedback for a couple of minutes while I try their possible parameters and dig around and see if their thought process matches (at least 9 times out of 10 it's because they weren't thinking straight and fed it a weird parameter). But there's always one in a mega-hurry who wants you to just "fix it" and spend as little time communicating as possible.

"CanIleaveitwithyouthx"
"Actually could you stay on the..."
"Thxbye!!" *click*

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KennyG posted:

Pro tip. If you default to "Can I call you back, I'm about to head into a meeting" it resolves that issue.

Although I can't get around the fact that he called you. If you don't have time, don't call.

That is definitely a ticket that comes in that pissed me off daily. If you don't have time, wait until you do. Stop logging tickets and going somewhere else, especially if you go with "Help me, it doesn't work" for your ticket.

I got one of these tickets on Friday at noon. I drive 15 minutes to the building with a ticket "My CPU is broken". I get there and there is 1 person in the office I'm looking for Greg, the person is a woman on the phone. I wait a bit and it sounds like she is on a personal phone call to her mother or something. She eventually notices me and tells the person on the phone to wait a minute and asks what I want. I tell her I'm looking for Greg I'm with IT, she said he went home because he computer has been broken all week (the ticket was submitted today). I think okay and turn his computer on, well it's already on lets see what he left me.

The computer is in safe mode. Really? You can't figure out how to fix this? Well this better be the problem, I reboot the computer and it works fine. Ticket closed, I hope. Watch him have wanted it in safe mode and it was something else.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

pixaal posted:

I got one of these tickets on Friday at noon. I drive 15 minutes to the building with a ticket "My CPU is broken". I get there and there is 1 person in the office I'm looking for Greg, the person is a woman on the phone. I wait a bit and it sounds like she is on a personal phone call to her mother or something. She eventually notices me and tells the person on the phone to wait a minute and asks what I want. I tell her I'm looking for Greg I'm with IT, she said he went home because he computer has been broken all week (the ticket was submitted today). I think okay and turn his computer on, well it's already on lets see what he left me.

The computer is in safe mode. Really? You can't figure out how to fix this? Well this better be the problem, I reboot the computer and it works fine. Ticket closed, I hope. Watch him have wanted it in safe mode and it was something else.

Ah, the good old "my computer did something different so it's broken, I better not report it so I have an excuse to not do poo poo all week".

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Science posted:

Ah, the good old "my computer did something different so it's broken, I better not report it so I have an excuse to not do poo poo all week".

Some of my customers milk this to poo poo. One person didn't work for the entire day and said "A person from [The company I work for] was on my computer so I didn't know I could get back to work" despite us having email proof that he confirmed he was done with her computer, he had closed the remote session etc.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Science posted:

My coworkers have developed the perfect strategy for this: if they encounter any computer problem or strange behavior, they reboot their machines. If that doesn't fix the problem, they reboot their machines AGAIN, and will simply keep rebooting and trying again until it works or someone tells them to stop. This is especially the case for network problems or things like not being able to access a mapped network drive.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Alereon posted:

My coworkers have developed the perfect strategy for this: if they encounter any computer problem or strange behavior, they reboot their machines. If that doesn't fix the problem, they reboot their machines AGAIN, and will simply keep rebooting and trying again until it works or someone tells them to stop. This is especially the case for network problems or things like not being able to access a mapped network drive.

Well domt complain, literally no one here tries a reboot, and if you ask them, they just lie to you.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a lot of emails last week. . .

The person they hired to replace my boss is leaving (evidently she's been 'working from china' for the bulk of 2 years, and according to my interactions with grad students in that program in bars. . . my term in that department is known as the time when things worked).

Well, pretty much every professor in those two departments are calling for me to apply, except of course for professor iPad.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
So 5:45PM yesterday after gorging myself on food truck chow, a (forwarded-forwarded) ticket came in.

Super IT Honcho posted:

[Department supervisor] -- Please prepare a list of all computer devices in the [department] computing environment. This includes desktops, laptops, physical servers, and virtual servers.

This list is to be completed no later than 5pm Sunday, August 18.

Initial reaction: :stonklol: :suicide:

Thankfully I've done better than I thought with inventory tracking, just hooking up the last laptop to double-check its name three hours after I started.

It's for a meeting Monday morning. It'd be really swell to make this stuff known more than, say, 23 hours before it's supposed to be turned over.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

redstormpopcorn posted:

So 5:45PM yesterday after gorging myself on food truck chow, a (forwarded-forwarded) ticket came in.

Initial reaction: :stonklol: :suicide:

Why the gently caress did you even see that before 9am on Monday?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

pixaal posted:

I've honestly never understood how a person can have their machine in safe mode and not mention it to the support guy. Does the big chunky text in each corner of the screen not give it away that maybe it's worth mentioning?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would have pushed back on that ticket on principle. Doesn't matter it would only take 5 minutes to run the report your setting future expectations that requests like that are acceptable.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

enotnert posted:

The person they hired to replace my boss is leaving (evidently she's been 'working from china' for the bulk of 2 years, and according to my interactions with grad students in that program in bars. . . my term in that department is known as the time when things worked).

Well, pretty much every professor in those two departments are calling for me to apply, except of course for professor iPad.

You of course would never return to the same position I hope. I would only consider returning somewhere if it was a change in responsibility and pay grade, especially after two years. Otherwise you are saying to them (and yourself) that you haven't grown in the intervening two years.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Crowley posted:

Why the gently caress did you even see that before 9am on Monday?

I'm an afternoon part-timer and doing this gets me time-and-a-half and this Friday off. That and when you're bottom of the totem and the university president gets namedropped, it could help my first annual review next week. :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

enotnert posted:

What the hell, "working from china" for 2 years sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm on the Pacific Coast. It's currently 5 p.m. here and 8 a.m. in Shanghai. It basically guarantees every email will be answered the next day, and you'll only get phone calls by calling outside of someone's normal work hours (guarantee it won't be the boss's work hours, even though she's the one in loving China)

Also I'd have reservations about letting the person in charge of your computers and networks work from China. I'm probably extra paranoid because of work, but :drat:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Well domt complain, literally no one here tries a reboot, and if you ask them, they just lie to you.

It would be interesting if there were cameras on all the floor covering all the cubicles that IT had access to.

:eng101:: Did you restart your computer?
:downs: : Yes
:eng101:: I am looking at the security cameras and I see that all you're doing is playing solitaire on your PC. Please restart your PC before I can continue helping you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SlayVus posted:

It would be interesting if there were cameras on all the floor covering all the cubicles that IT had access to.

:eng101:: I am looking at the security cameras and I see that all you're doing is playing solitaire on your PC. Please restart your PC before I can continue helping you.

What is wrong with remote desktop, same situation.

:eng101:: I am looking at your computer right now and I see that all you're doing is playing solitaire on your PC. See I just closed that window for you and am going to restart it.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

demonachizer posted:

You of course would never return to the same position I hope. I would only consider returning somewhere if it was a change in responsibility and pay grade, especially after two years. Otherwise you are saying to them (and yourself) that you haven't grown in the intervening two years.

I've moved up the paygrade scale a few times since then. . . this is more of one of those things they didn't put in the OP about the saga of enotnert and professor iPad (after I left that department, and got a massive overtime check I started not needing to bitch as much)

I just know 99.9% of the people there want me back, and wanted me to accept my bosses position after she died. There was some interesting things passed to me, so I chunked my resume to the wind and YOTJ'd in about a week.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What the hell, "working from china" for 2 years sounds like the worst thing ever. I'm on the Pacific Coast. It's currently 5 p.m. here and 8 a.m. in Shanghai. It basically guarantees every email will be answered the next day, and you'll only get phone calls by calling outside of someone's normal work hours (guarantee it won't be the boss's work hours, even though she's the one in loving China)

Also I'd have reservations about letting the person in charge of your computers and networks work from China. I'm probably extra paranoid because of work, but :drat:

She was hired because of "professor iPad". . . she was horrible, has been stated as being horrible. . . but professor iPad has a bunch of false power (he was hired tenure, and I've heard rumors he got blacklisted by the NSF). . . he actually just had her moved to a position that I was told I was the top choice for but couldn't be hired for political reasons a year or so back.

Fun fact, she's walking into an environment with multimillion dollar gpgpu clusters, that the last person left decided he wanted to "bond interfaces" and just statically assigned all interfaces in every server to the same IP. . .

enotnert fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 19, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SlayVus posted:

code:

Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem -computer 127.0.0.1| select csname, @{LABEL='LastBootUpTime'

;EXPRESSION={$_.ConverttoDateTime($_.lastbootuptime)}}

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:
Get-WmiObject win32_operatingsystem -computer 127.0.0.1| select csname, @{LABEL='LastBootUpTime'

;EXPRESSION={$_.ConverttoDateTime($_.lastbootuptime)}}

Or just type "net statistics server" in the command prompt.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Uptime also shows in task manger since XP at some point, our XP-SP3 machines show uptime in the preference tab.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm not familiar with that command, how do you target a remote PC in the domain?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not familiar with that command, how do you target a remote PC in the domain?

Oh, it's just a local thing. I just figured if you were already remoted in, it's less keypresses :v:

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

type uptime in powershell

I win :D

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

nzspambot posted:

type uptime in powershell

I win :D

That's not a standard module/command.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
That's why my company has pstools installed on all computers by default :smug:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Migishu posted:

That's why my company has pstools installed on all computers by default :smug:

I read that as pistols and had a great deal of fun imagining the new kinds of "troubleshooting" that would allow.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

I read that as pistols and had a great deal of fun imagining the new kinds of "troubleshooting" that would allow.

I read your interpretation as "pisstools" and decided not to imagine what that might do.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Inspector_71 posted:

Tier 2 Support pro-tip: you just need to type "net stats srv". :smug:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

pixaal posted:

What is wrong with remote desktop, same situation.

Oh boy the panic I caused when I pointed out we could remote control people's PCs to help out (Lansweeper Pro being a nice easy way)

:gonk: Does that mean you can see my screen at any time? What if it's something confidential?

No, we don't just go around watching people's screens, relax, your confidential solitaire session is safe. It ended up easier to just forget we have that feature and go see them, helps with putting some face time in anyway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GargleBlaster posted:

Oh boy the panic I caused when I pointed out we could remote control people's PCs to help out (Lansweeper Pro being a nice easy way)

:gonk: Does that mean you can see my screen at any time? What if it's something confidential?

No, we don't just go around watching people's screens, relax, your confidential solitaire session is safe. It ended up easier to just forget we have that feature and go see them, helps with putting some face time in anyway.

When faced with the same situation and question I just laughed maniacally and said "Yeessssssss."

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

GargleBlaster posted:

I just shrug and say there's no expectation to privacy. I use Dameware, though. It pops up a little "Such and such account is connected" window in the bottom left.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
We use a program called Atelier Web Remote Commander and it doesn't require a preinstalled module on the machines. I think it uses the AT command to send an executable down that it then connects to. You have an option to tell the user you are connecting or not. I never do because who cares. I tell them I am connecting then do my poo poo. Some people make it pop up the permissions window but meh.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Not exactly a ticket, but I finally got a chance to thank Mark Russinovich for all of the time his tools has saved me when I worked tech support. I guess I was including all of you when I thanked him on behalf of me and my fellow techs.

Okay maybe it was so we could make up the slack for the guy that kept falling asleep in his cubicle.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anybody here use Bomgar for remote support?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I use to, its complete poo poo.

You don't happen to work for a company with "computer" somewhere in its name do you?

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I used to. I liked it very much -- very easy to use from administrator, manager, tech, and end-user perspective.

EDIT: ^^^^^Hahaha! Interesting. I wonder what issues you had with it. Ours seemed pretty good....^^^^^

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DameWare for local lan, TeamViewer for anything else. Works well for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Sickening posted:

I use to, its complete poo poo.

You don't happen to work for a company with "computer" somewhere in its name do you?

Nope. If any of you have ever heard of my company I'd be shocked as all hell.

• Locked thread