Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
From kickstarter update:

quote:

Hi HEXers. If you watched the Twitch stream last week, you heard that Cory confirmed alpha at the end of September. So, you'll have the alpha version of HEX in your hands in just a few weeks. Right now, we're at Gen Con Indy and attendees are getting a preview of HEX right now both at our booth (#731) and in the TCG hall with our 32-person LAN. A special thanks goes to our friends at NVIDIA, Dell, and Alienware for giving us the computers so we could let our attending fans play the game!
A Day in Pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Played it. Lots of bugs but it works

No trip report? We're counting on you here.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Karnegal posted:

Played it. Lots of bugs but it works

Hmm. As much as I would love to have it in my hands sooner, I really hope they don't rush out an incomplete product in order to keep all the promises they've made. I'd rather have a game that makes a good impression but comes with a few apologies for being late than a buggy mess that comes out on time.

OBi fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 17, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Shadow225 posted:

No trip report? We're counting on you here.

I'll have a report after GenCon. I've been posting from my phone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OBi posted:

Hmm. As much as I would love to have it in my hands sooner, I really hope they don't rush out and incomplete product in order to keep all the promises they've made. I'd rather have a game that makes a good impression but comes with a few apologies for being late than a buggy mess that comes out on time.

After playing Solforge the last couple of days, I can't help but agree. If the game isn't ready, I would much rather have them communicate with us and keep us informed about what still needs to be done, rather than releasing an early build that has a ton of issues.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, bugs could be a HUGE problem in this game given that there will be prizes on the line.

That said I don't care how buggy the alpha is so long as they get poo poo nailed down before the cards we paid for are handed out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would be fine with the alpha lasting as long as they need to hammer out the kinks and make the "beta" when we get our Kickstarter stuff as smooth as possible.

I would alpha test until New Year's if it makes the final release more solid than MTGO.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The first set 2 card has just been revealed - it's a sapphire dragon. (The data was on USB drives given out to Dragon Lords attending the dinner at GenCon.) We can probably infer from this that we've seen all the dragons in set 1.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Some Numbers posted:

I would be fine with the alpha lasting as long as they need to hammer out the kinks and make the "beta" when we get our Kickstarter stuff as smooth as possible.

I would alpha test until New Year's if it makes the final release more solid than MTGO.

From what I can gather, beta's gonna be in two phases, first is the closed beta with only PvP and the Arena PvE Dungeon, then an open beta soft launch when all the PvE stuff gets put in.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The game has bugs, but they're pretty up front with them, they've also actually fixed some of hem between days of GenCon, so the time to correct is pretty impressive.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pumpinglemma posted:

The first set 2 card has just been revealed - it's a sapphire dragon. (The data was on USB drives given out to Dragon Lords attending the dinner at GenCon.) We can probably infer from this that we've seen all the dragons in set 1.

Are you sure this is from Set 2? I thought the digit in the rarity symbol at the bottom was the set number, and this card is a red 1.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lone Goat posted:

Are you sure this is from Set 2? I thought the digit in the rarity symbol at the bottom was the set number, and this card is a red 1.

I wasn't at the dinner myself, but I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote the post is at least a Dragon Lord (I think he's a Producer). And no-one on the official forums is contradicting him, including the mods. Most likely CZE just forgot to change the symbol.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I would surprise me if they made a cycle of Unique dragons over more than one set. I feel like all five should be in the same set.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Two more spoiled cards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Is Revert the same as Untap, or is this a new word?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
It's looking like it resets a card to its default stats and unknown if it will revert a transformed card into the original card.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So after the gencon demos, is slacker backer worth it?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you're interested in a slacker backer, I have a distinct feeling that the 5 $20 accounts for my friends and 1 $250 tier for me that I bought may be wasted. If I could get my 350 back right now I would. I was hoping to play this, alpha at the very least, before my classes started back up.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

signalnoise posted:

If you're interested in a slacker backer, I have a distinct feeling that the 5 $20 accounts for my friends and 1 $250 tier for me that I bought may be wasted. If I could get my 350 back right now I would. I was hoping to play this, alpha at the very least, before my classes started back up.

I might be interested in that, shoot me an email at busterblader96 at gmail dot com. I'm not sure what they include though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I forget, can we stack VIP? If I have two accounts with VIP, do I get 3 months or 6?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
6 months, it's pretty sweet that they are so accommodating of their crazy fans

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Elblanco posted:

I might be interested in that, shoot me an email at busterblader96 at gmail dot com. I'm not sure what they include though.

Email sent, hopefully I'll be able to offload all these keys when they come in. My gamer friend circle has hit a real lull.

edit:

OK so within a couple hours, I have a buyer for my Dungeon Crawler tier. I still have 5 more Squire ($20) tier accounts I need to offload since I am not really in this game any longer. If anyone wanted to be a slacker backer, hit me up and I'll make sure there's a key set aside for you. PMs or signoise at gmail

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 19, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Some Numbers posted:

I forget, can we stack VIP? If I have two accounts with VIP, do I get 3 months or 6?

From what I can recall, stacking VIP accounts is one of the things that Crypto definitely does not want to happen.

There were like... big long threads about it earlier in the forums--but Crypto's official stance was no VIP stacking whatsoever.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They don't allow the 1-year-free-drafting to stack, but I was sure that VIP was fine (it's not like you're doing concurrent VIPs, which yea that would be crap)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'll make a post with some pics in the next 24 hours, I just got back to Chicago.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Grim posted:

They don't allow the 1-year-free-drafting to stack, but I was sure that VIP was fine (it's not like you're doing concurrent VIPs, which yea that would be crap)

Er, that's what I meant. Concurrent VIPs is something they aren't allowing. He said two different accounts, that would be concurrent VIPs.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
I think he meant if he bought two packages from the kickstarter that come with 3 months of VIP each, you can stack the VIP all onto one account.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Niedar posted:

I think he meant if he bought two packages from the kickstarter that come with 3 months of VIP each, you can stack the VIP all onto one account.

Yeah, this. If I backed at two different levels (or even the same level twice) do I get 3 months or 6 months? I know they said they'd ban people for abusing VIP, so...

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You're combining the accounts right? That would be two consecutive VIPs not two concurrent - as long as you are only getting 1 booster a week you should be good.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So I got to play 8-10 games of Hex and GenCon and here's what I have to say!

The game is definitely Magic 2.0. If you like Magic, you're going to like Hex. The main differences so far is that this is a lot like Standard magic as opposes to Eternal formats. There simply aren't enough cards to make really spellcentric decks with what we've seen so far. It was really apparent with the demo decks. The best decks all had ample creatures and removal for creatures. The decks that didn't have good removal and solid guys low on the curve were usually the losers.

As to the actual client, there were certainly some bugs. Some champions didn't work and some cards were broken. This was frustrating when an essential play was thwarted by a broken card causing you to lose. However, I will say that they managed to fix some of the bugs between days of GenCon, so they were very much actively working on the game. Things that were broken on Thursday worked on Friday and so on. That said, some things that were broken on Thursday were still broken on Sunday, so they obviously weren't able to get everything taken care of. There was a fairly decent wait to play (15-20 minutes) even after they brought all of the computers online (32-38 total, I think), so there was a lot of enthusiasm. CZ employees were keeping track of who was playing who was a KS backer vs who was a slacker or non-backer. From glancing the clipboard, I would say 80% or so of plays were by backers.

The CZ guys were very sociable and started recognizing returning players. Corey was there and a bit mobbed, but very nice. I didn't want to bother him because the guy was always fielding questions and comments, even at lunch (we happened to be eating a table or two over one day). So, the CZ people I met all seemed pretty rad and receptive to feedback. I'm hopeful for the Alpha to be at the end of September, but after the clusterfuck that is the SolForge launch, I just want to see them to take the time they need to make a stable game before they push it into players hands and a fairly fully featured one before they start selling in game items to people.

So, still pretty excited for the game - here's a picture I took (sorry for the blurriness)

Yeah, that's 2 13/13 Mushwocky's vs an empty board

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
I got a chance to play some HEX, but I only played 3 games. I didn't encounter any bugs in my matches, so I can't comment on that. Overall the gameplay was really smooth and, as a Magic player, quite familiar. I will say that the resource system helps move the game along nicely and is a welcome change opposed to having to tap all of your lands individually like in Magic online. Even though the decks I chose to play happened to be some of the more simplistic ones I had a blast playing the game. I am definitely looking forward to being able to play again.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm with Karnegal - this is (Block, not standard) Magic. The differences seem interesting enough, if the PVE poo poo ever comes online it might be really, really interesting compared to Magic.

As a guy who likes a lot of Legacy, this isn't going to compete with that - it's got a more modern magic fundamental design mantra as far as I can tell. The combo deck they did have running is a junky deck built around an artifact that taps a guy to do a damage, and taps two to untap itself, so it's still creature based.

The software is usable but pretty broken right now. As Karnegal said, they were fixing things over the weekend. There were a bunch of cards (5-6) that didn't work correctly and I think they weeded most of them out, with the exception of the black skeleton guy that's supposed to make a new guy when he dies (but didn't, meaning I lost to Karnegal). They had a bunch of UI bugs including one that meant you couldn't change your stops on enemy turns (and one of the blue decks had an instant speed tap effect, which meant you had to play it during your opponent's first main rather than beginning of combat), plus you'd constantly junk up the screen with ability text that wouldn't go away when a card zoom would - I had covered my pass priority button with a flying creature and two of these windows at one point.

The UI needs a bit of work too, just as far as usability - you can't flip through graveyards easily, the turn counter sucks, as it puts "Current Turn" and "Next Turn" markers at the same visual hierarchy, making it easy to misread, resource numbers are way too small to read at a glance, and in general there's a lot of empty space that is unnecessary and could be filled with useful information - it feels like a bunch of little islands of information rather than a cohesive game window. I think MODO has a better UI layout as far as usability.

It should be noted that they were playing these over the net and everything worked well, so they presumably have good netcode. I never saw network issues with a game.

Despite all of this, the fun showed through and I'm pretty excited for it, even if my last few games were all bad beats stories. I'm hoping they've squashed all these bugs by the public alpha. If they don't have the actual PVE and draft/tournament stuff in the beta, I'd be concerned, as those are major features. Still, overall they seem to have their poo poo together and I think they'll make a sweet game.

Didn't get a chance to see the deck builder or any of the game UI outside of the matches, really, so I'm not sure how far those have progressed.

My biggest issue with the game is also the blessing - it's Magic the Gathering. I don't know that I need two Magic the Gatherings. I don't know that they can really compete with Magic the Gathering on enough fronts to steal players. I think the PVE stuff is really what is going to make or break this as a game, and since they have yet to show any of that working, that's where my concerns lie.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Thanks for the writeups, did either of you two earn any rewards and if so what did you get?

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Another new card from gencon.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

Thanks for the writeups, did either of you two earn any rewards and if so what did you get?

I got the sleeves, an alt-art dude, and Pustulio or whatever the gently caress his name is. Plus the Gary Gygax merc.

So the full deal.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Those rewards are only available to people actually at Gencon?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

tijag posted:

They plan to have the rewards randomly be in the chests found in booster packs while Gencon is running each year. This year's rewards will be included in next year's packs as well as the rewards for next year.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

tijag posted:

They were going to be gencon exclusives, but there was a twenty six page thread on the official forum of people whining about wanting everything ever, so they changed it to being able to open them in packs during Gencon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gross Dude posted:

They were going to be gencon exclusives, but there was a twenty six page thread on the official forum of people whining about wanting everything ever, so they changed it to being able to open them in packs during Gencon.

As well there should have been. Functional exclusives for a collectible digital game should not exist if you have to be in a physical location to get them. If they were promo/alt-art/holofoil/whatever versions of cards that you could, then I'd have no problem with it, but "HEY YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS CARD AT [event]" is pretty unreasonable.

The entire point of a digital game is that you can access it anywhere, it's pretty ridiculous to require people to travel halfway across the globe on a month's notice for something. Putting them in treasure chests is a brilliant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Lone Goat posted:

As well there should have been. Functional exclusives for a collectible digital game should not exist if you have to be in a physical location to get them. If they were promo/alt-art/holofoil/whatever versions of cards that you could, then I'd have no problem with it, but "HEY YOU CAN ONLY GET THIS CARD AT [event]" is pretty unreasonable.

The entire point of a digital game is that you can access it anywhere, it's pretty ridiculous to require people to travel halfway across the globe on a month's notice for something. Putting them in treasure chests is a brilliant idea.

Agreed, the whole reason I'm excited about hex (and a selling point that Corey talks about a lot) is because I can't travel to various locations to play all the time. So what do they do? Require you to travel to a location to obtain potentially game changing cards that you can't get elsewhere. :v: Alt-art, virtual sleeves, dice, playmats and other cosmetic non-game effecting swag? They can make all that hoo-hah exclusive to the events.

• Locked thread